New Silverstone FT02

Has anyone added a second SSD to their FT02/RV02? How did you accomplish this—via 5.25'' bay adapter?

Has anyone added a second SSD to their FT02/RV02? How did you accomplish this—via 5.25'' bay adapter?

I just swapped the second M4 for a 840 Pro that I got a good deal on and yeah, I've been using a 5.25" slot. Was no problem other than you lost a bit of free air. I was too lazy to find the back plate for it but kind of wish I had done that. Will probably put a few of those in on the next mainboard swap since I'll have most of it apart again.

I just swapped the second M4 for a 840 Pro that I got a good deal on and yeah, I've been using a 5.25" slot. Was no problem other than you lost a bit of free air. I was too lazy to find the back plate for it but kind of wish I had done that. Will probably put a few of those in on the next mainboard swap since I'll have most of it apart again.

Is there a specific Silverstone bay adapter or did you just buy whatever caught your eye?

Is there a specific Silverstone bay adapter or did you just buy whatever caught your eye?

I misspoke above, a bit of the St Patty's early, my apologies... SLAINTE!

According to Amazon, I used a Silverstone SDP08B and one of the extra quick releases that came with the case in my lower bay. I'm sure most adapters would work though once you slip it into the quick release. Sorry bout the confusion. It never occurred to me to use the 5.25"s. I just assumed you were talking about the lower slots.

The new FT02 3.5" drive sleds have 2.5" mounting holes now :) . It was a pleasant surprise on my newer FT02.

Here's mine:

2E586DB6-4507-492D-8CC8-88A001280C4A.JPG

C051A976-7C9C-4B74-BBF0-03399CCFCA90.JPG

I've used one of these, which can hold 4 SSDs and a slot loading ODD.

http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-5...id=1363407244&sr=8-6&keywords=silverstone+2.5

That's pretty sharp! Will have to pick one of those up.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I misspoke above, a bit of the St Patty's early, my apologies... SLAINTE!

According to Amazon, I used a Silverstone SDP08B and one of the extra quick releases that came with the case in my lower bay. I'm sure most adapters would work though once you slip it into the quick release. Sorry bout the confusion. It never occurred to me to use the 5.25"s. I just assumed you were talking about the lower slots.

I'd actually prefer to use the lower 3.5'' drive sleds if possible, since they're closer to the bottom fan. It just wasn't immediately apparent to me if I could take, say, a 2.5'' to 3.5'' adapter and insert it into the sled. Therefore I assumed the only real way to go was to get a 5.25'' bay adapter.

diableri's pictures seem to show that using a 2.5'' to 3.5'' adapter is possible; just slide it in and lock the sled.

I'd actually prefer to use the lower 3.5'' drive sleds if possible, since they're closer to the bottom fan. It just wasn't immediately apparent to me if I could take, say, a 2.5'' to 3.5'' adapter and insert it into the sled. Therefore I assumed the only real way to go was to get a 5.25'' bay adapter.

diableri's pictures seem to show that using a 2.5'' to 3.5'' adapter is possible; just slide it in and lock the sled.

Yep, very easy. Honestly though I'll probably switch when I pick up the next SSD (I plan to just add larger and faster SSD's as they come out and recyle the older ones to game drives like I did with the 840 pro and M4). I just ordered a silver version of that adapter World linked along with a Pana BDR. I have put off tossing in an ODD in this thing since I built it but I might as well do it since I'll be doing a rebuild later this year whenever the new chips and mainboards are all settled.

If you were only going to do two SSDs and a single HDD though sans the ODD probably makes sense to keep it down there. It'll just clean up my cables to move everything around the back and up top. I wish they had given us just another quarter inch clearance on the back for cables of this case and it would be absolutely perfect for me. That little bay expansion will fix my cables up perfectly though.

I'd actually prefer to use the lower 3.5'' drive sleds if possible, since they're closer to the bottom fan.

An SSD doesn't need active cooling, so you can mount an SSD anywhere.
I'd rather get a pair of 500GB SSDs and remove the HDD bay entirely.

An SSD doesn't need active cooling, so you can mount an SSD anywhere.
I'd rather get a pair of 500GB SSDs and remove the HDD bay entirely.

Yeah, only real reason to keep it down there would be because it's just the smallest bit easier. I like your solution better because it cleans up the cables. I hadn't even considered that.

Yeah, only real reason to keep it down there would be because it's just the smallest bit easier. I like your solution better because it cleans up the cables. I hadn't even considered that.

Removing the HDD bay, you will get more airflow and if you're up to it, add the 8th PCI slot.
Joel from SS handles the parts requests. The only reason why I sold my FT02 Limited is because I needed a 8th slot. I should have modded the case for it.

Removing the HDD bay, you will get more airflow and if you're up to it, add the 8th PCI slot.
Joel from SS handles the parts requests. The only reason why I sold my FT02 Limited is because I needed a 8th slot. I should have modded the case for it.

I had asked about modding for an 8th expansion slot somewhere before, got no answer - do you have any links to where help on this can be found?

I also love the FT-02, but I need that extra slot for my particular mobo PCIe slot configuration and SLI.

Ease of installation and access is exactly what I was thinking of. It's easier to slide something into one of the 3.5'' racks than it is to install an adapter in the 5.25'' bay area. It also makes cable routing simpler. I'm probably going to buy this and slide it into one of the 3.5'' bays.

Speaking of cable routing, I'm thinking of completely redoing the cable arrangement in my RV02 through the purchasing of a new modular PSU. Are there any success stories I can mooch from? :D My current thought is to get something like a Corsair AX850 and some Silverstone sleeved cable extensions.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Am finally taking the plunge in this case. I have had it for a few years now but will finally watercool it.

Taking the system offline now to get some things cleaned up in preparation for my delivery mid next week and to properly plan out how things will look.

Will post before and after pictures soon.

Am finally taking the plunge in this case. I have had it for a few years now but will finally watercool it.

Taking the system offline now to get some things cleaned up in preparation for my delivery mid next week and to properly plan out how things will look.

Will post before and after pictures soon.
Always :D to see new FT02 Pix!

Gutted mine for the last time last night.
Eventually a leaky res and I always had poor performance for some reason.
Moving to a Lian Li pc 90.

In the glory days.
8199403792_fc4a83628c_h.jpg

Icky tube colour from VERY persistant Ice Dragon coolant.
Still love the case and will view this thread in time to come.

Gutted mine for the last time last night.
Eventually a leaky res and I always had poor performance for some reason.
Moving to a Lian Li pc 90.

In the glory days.
8199403792_fc4a83628c_h.jpg

Icky tube colour from VERY persistant Ice Dragon coolant.
Still love the case and will view this thread in time to come.
Thanx for the pix but, WoW you treat it like that!:eek: anywhere on the gravel:mad:

Thanx for the pix but, WoW you treat it like that!:eek: anywhere on the gravel:mad:

Haha, with that finish, yeah sure. :D
Only the bottom. I could never see the bottom anyway as I don't want to tilt the res and get bubbles in the loop.
Was on the way to lan times and outside had nice lighting.

I have the same response as you when I see anything on carpet :p

Haha, with that finish, yeah sure. :D
Only the bottom. I could never see the bottom anyway as I don't want to tilt the res and get bubbles in the loop.
Was on the way to lan times and outside had nice lighting.

I have the same response as you when I see anything on carpet :p
Oh Aight! :D

Heres my FT02 with three new AP182 fans

The fans are louder at high a good deal louder then the stock fans on high. Here is a video of what they sound like from about 2 feet away in my case

Did you notice a temp drop with them? How are they on low compared to the 181's? Also, did you have the first style, or the newer 181's before?

Been thinking of getting them but it's quite a bit of cash for 3 fans. Thanks

Those 182s really look out of place in that chassis... though I hope they cool more efficiently than the 181s if they're indeed louder.

Did you notice a temp drop with them? How are they on low compared to the 181's? Also, did you have the first style, or the newer 181's before?

Been thinking of getting them but it's quite a bit of cash for 3 fans. Thanks

I have the newer 181s which look almost identical to the 182 just black. The 182 feel like they put out a lot more air at the same volume as the 181. The 182 use around 1.34 amps compared to the .45amps on the 181. At around 1000 rpm I can't hear the 182 over my NH-D14 cooler at all at 1100 rpm it's just barely audible over the CPU fans.The 181s on low is far louder then the 182 at low. The 181s on low are closer to the noise of the 182 at around 1250 rpm and they were always slightly louder then the CPU fans.

For this test run I manually set the CPU fans to there lowest setting and there's probably a 10C temp sensor read error.

Room temperature - 19.3C

1900 RPM - Max -
Idle - 14C
100% Load - 32.5C Max

1400 RPM -
Idle - 15C
100% Load - 32.8C Max

1100 RPM - Almost Silent
Idle - 15.5C
100% Load - 33.5C

850 RPM - Silent
Idle - 17.5C
100% Load - 33.8C

630RPM
Idle - 18.5C
100% Load - 35.5C

500RPM - Lowest setting
Idle - 19C
100% Load - 36.2C

The 181s in my case do around 33C on High at 100% and 35C on Low at 100%.

The 32.5C temp at 100% load seems to be the thermal max for the NH-D14 in my system because even with all the case and cpu fans running 100% full-on it never really goes below that.

I'm note sure if it's worth getting the 182 if you have the newer 181s unless you need a nearly silent PC. Since the 182 has a dial to control the fan speed instead of a switch it lets you set the fan to a much lower speed and gives you far more control which means a far quieter pc over all which is why I got them. If you use water cooling then you probably want the 182 cause they push more air then the 181.

I should note this is all based on how they sound to me I don't has a sound meter to test the actual db levels.

Last edited:
Those 182s really look out of place in that chassis... though I hope they cool more efficiently than the 181s if they're indeed louder.

I don't have a window so I didn't really care about looks. The 182 isn't really louder it has a higher max RPM and is louder at the max compared to the 181 on high but if you set it to the same RPM as a 181 on high it's actually seems some what quieter and is totally inaudible me at it's lowest setting.

Thanks for that little writeup. So the 182's are quieter at their lowest speed yet push more air than the 181's? You said they came with a dial instead of switch, does that mean that the space where the 3 switches are now will be empty? Or is it a small dial where the switch would fit?

I will see how this loop holds up to the summer weather and maybe change them out for the 182's if I need a little more oomph.

Thanks for that little writeup. So the 182's are quieter at their lowest speed yet push more air than the 181's? You said they came with a dial instead of switch, does that mean that the space where the 3 switches are now will be empty? Or is it a small dial where the switch would fit?

I will see how this loop holds up to the summer weather and maybe change them out for the 182's if I need a little more oomph.

At there lowest speed there going less then 500 rpm... not that useful in a loop i'd think. ill hook my 181s back up this weekend and double check rpms and such. I started playing round with stuff when i got bored and at 3ft from the top of the ft02 the 182 at max blows a think thermal receipt upwards. I should take a photo

The dial replaces the switches its a smallish plastic cap you remove from the dial and install the dial then but the plastic bit back on.

...I should note this is all based on how they sound to me I don't has a sound meter to test the actual db levels.

If you have a smartphone there are free Decibel Meter apps.

Not the most accurate, but easy to use and perhaps helpful.

;)

All your questions answered [H]ere ;).

I don't have a window so I didn't really care about looks.

That's not what really what I meant, otherwise I would have commented on the fans' white color. I mean that the fans don't really seem to be designed for the FT02/RV02, and their louder decibel level at the same RPM (and slightly worse cooling at low RPM) would seem to back that impression up for me.

If the FT04/RV04 have better sound dampening over the FT02/RV02, then the issue becomes moot, however. It would also help that the FT04/RV04 has slots for only two fans rather than three.

That's not what really what I meant, otherwise I would have commented on the fans' white color. I mean that the fans don't really seem to be designed for the FT02/RV02, and their louder decibel level at the same RPM (and slightly worse cooling at low RPM) would seem to back that impression up for me.

If the FT04/RV04 have better sound dampening over the FT02/RV02, then the issue becomes moot, however. It would also help that the FT04/RV04 has slots for only two fans rather than three.

You've got it backwards and i might of been a bit unclear on this but the AP182 is quieter at the same rpm compared to the AP181 the the low setting on the AP182 is 500 RPM vs 700RPM on the AP181 so it will cool somewhat worse then the AP181 simply because its going 200RPM slower but if you comapred both at 700RPM the AP182 should cool slightly better and be quiter and since the AP182 has a dial instead of just a high low switch you can pick any rpm you want from 500 to 1850RPM.

I'm gonna play around with the fans this weekend and double check the rpms and try and get a db reading using a app on my GS3 like stratosrally suggested. The link from FaRKle0079 is a good review and has good photos

On low they're inaudible to me but I'll try and get a sound reading on them when I can as I got called into work this weekend so we'll see :'-(

What do you think is more silent getting a fan controller for the ap181's or just getting 3 new ap182's. I'm not that picky with sound while playing games but I sleep a few inches from the pc, so I need it be completely silent rig at night so i'm wondering does the included dial completely turn of the fan? Is it totally silent on min setting?

What do you think is more silent getting a fan controller for the ap181's or just getting 3 new ap182's. I'm not that picky with sound while playing games but I sleep a few inches from the pc, so I need it be completely silent rig at night so i'm wondering does the included dial completely turn of the fan? Is it totally silent on min setting?

Fan controller is my recommendation. At least you can see what actual rpm's you're running that way. The review has the answers to your other questions.

Fan controller is my recommendation. At least you can see what actual rpm's you're running that way. The review has the answers to your other questions.

Cant find anywhere if the dial will turn the ap182's completely off.
About the controller + ap181's will they run slower than the low setting switch? Because they are pretty much audible and i want them to be able to run slower and turn completely off.

Last edited:
Cant find anywhere if the dial will turn the ap182's completely off.

Doesn't turn it off:
AP182 Review said:
Instead of either 700rpm or 1200rpm we now have an adjustable 500rpm to 2000rpm space.

About the controller + ap181's will they run slower than the low setting switch? Because they are pretty much audible and i want them to be able to run slower and turn completely off.

How do you think I got the AP181 to run below 700rpm ;)?
AP182 Review said:
Both the AP182 and AP181 were silent below 500rpm, but from 500rpm to 700rpm the AP182’s sound signature was much more noticeable due to the growl.

Doesn't turn it off:
How do you think I got the AP181 to run below 700rpm ;)?
Thx! Looks like i'll keep the AP181 and get a fan controller then! Too bad, I was kinda digging their white color plus the corsair ax white cables over a black ft02 background...
One more question, from your review I see that you compared both fans at different rpm's. I was wondering if there was any difference between both, at equal rpm's?
Thx! Looks like i'll keep the AP181 and get a fan controller then!
What do you recommend? Lamptrons FC5v2 and FC-Touch would look great on the FT02, but I'm wondering something is it possible to turn off the light?

Last edited:
Back