New Silverstone FT02

hello everyone

i am using silverstone fortress ft02 too right now
and i have little issue here

i replaced the original bottom fan with silverstone blue led fan
the problem is it seems the screw stuck in the fan+fan bracket, and after i tried my best unscrew it, the screw top broken

while its no problem right now as the current fan working ok, but if i want to replace fan, seems it will be a problem

so i am looking for solutions, here
wonder if i can buy another fan bracket, (some screw might stuck on fan grille too, but not bigdeal for that, as i can replace with AP181)
or is there a way to pull stucked screws ?
i haven't try many things, as i dont want to mess more than now

sorry to ask in here rather in trade/sale section, but if someone have unused fan bracket that willing to sell to me, please let me know :)

thanks in advance

You have to call them for fan brackets that's a part that's not on their website. If you're talking about the part that holds the fan to the chassis.

Just pulled the trigger! now waiting for my FT02 to come...

One question - can i buy additional hdd drive cage and put into the upper 5.25" x 5? i dont need so many 5.25" slots. I just need more hdd..

any ideas?

Yeah any 5.25 to 3.5 adapter or cages should work.

Yeah any 5.25 to 3.5 adapter or cages should work.

I could've sworn somebody here tried Silverstone's triple HDD cage in the FT02 and said the tabs that hold up a 5.25" drive get in the way.

I emailed SilverStone about it, and they responded with:

Consider yourself privileged you got a response, 2 of my drive sleds are missing the rubber grommets and ive emailed the european branch several times about getting some sent out and no response. :rolleyes:

here are some pics of my new Ft02

Asus Rampage 3 Formula
Intel I7-950 @ 3.33 (cooled by Prolimatech Megahelms)
Ocz Reaper 3x 2gb 2000mh 9-9-9-30
2x Asus 5870 1gb
Intel 80gb x25 ssd (operating system)
2x Westerndigital Black 500gb (raid0 for Software and Media)
Corsair 1000w PSU
CyberPower 850w UPS
And My Silverstone Fortress FT02:D

P1020031.jpg

P1020027.jpg

P1020014.jpg

P1020009.jpg

P1020008.jpg

P1020006.jpg

P1020005.jpg

P1020003.jpg

P1020002.jpg

P1020001.jpg

P1010999.jpg

P1010994.jpg

P1010990.jpg

P1010989.jpg

P1010988.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone have a rampage formula 3 board and gtx480 SLI with this case? I want to upgrade my motherboard but am very concerned that the slot configuration for SLI with the rampage formula 3 requiring one card in slot 1 and the other in slot 3 will prevent me from being able to install my dvd rom drive. Anyone currently running this config? I see schzeezy is running dual 5870's with this config and barely making it fit but I am pretty sure the 480's are much thicker than a 5870. I would have no problem going to the rampage extreme 3 board but it has a very nasty reputation for DOA's and dying prematurely that the formula 3 does not seem to share. Any ideas?

On the rampage 3 formula; the 1st and 3rd pci-e slots must be used for dual crossfire or sli. its a tight fit between the 3rd pci-e slot and the optical drive.It will work with 90* sata cables and power.

P1020003.jpg

P1020002.jpg

P1010997.jpg

Yeah I saw those pics above shezeey but my concern was that the 480 is a thicker card than the 5870 which would put it just beyond the limit of length on the optical drive. I think it is going to be tight. I also don't want the card in the 3rd slot to be starved for airflow by the drive cage which in your pic looks to be happening. This is the main reason I want to change my board out now because gigabyte in all their wisdom puts the pcie slots right next to each other on my board and the top card always runs 12c hotter than the bottom one because it is starved for air.

Do you happen to know how thick the 5870 in your pic in slot 3 is from the top of the PCB to the very bottom of the fan and how much room is between the fan and the drive cage?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am curious what people's thoughts are on the RV02B-EW? Internally the same is the FT02 but amazon has it for $60 less. I do like the looks for the FT better but I don't "hate" the RV02. Is the FT worth a $60 premium?

http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-S...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1290122174&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Aluminum-Uni-Body-Computer-FT02B/dp/B0030MHEJK/ref=pd_cp_e_1

I've had my on the FT02 for a long time, and I keep thinking the same thing. I don't really like the raven, but dang... about the same cooling and design for so much less. Anyone got experience with both?

I am curious what people's thoughts are on the RV02B-EW? Internally the same is the FT02 but amazon has it for $60 less. I do like the looks for the FT better but I don't "hate" the RV02. Is the FT worth a $60 premium?

http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-S...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1290122174&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Aluminum-Uni-Body-Computer-FT02B/dp/B0030MHEJK/ref=pd_cp_e_1

Thanks,
Brandon

Well now the FT02 comes with 3 AP fans which are $20+ each. Also the FT02 holds 5 HD's and the RV02 holds 3, both have 1 SSD adapter.

I lean towards FT02 because of the AP fans make it more appealing but RV02 is cheaper...

Looks wise I find the FT02 a little too bland and the RV02 a little too blingy.

Well now the FT02 comes with 3 AP fans which are $20+ each. Also the FT02 holds 5 HD's and the RV02 holds 3, both have 1 SSD adapter.

I lean towards FT02 because of the AP fans make it more appealing but RV02 is cheaper...

Looks wise I find the FT02 a little too bland and the RV02 a little too blingy.

I agree with you but did you check the link? Amazon is selling the RV02-E that is updated with the same hard drive cages as the FT and even specifies in the description the AP fans.

I agree with you but did you check the link? Amazon is selling the RV02-E that is updated with the same hard drive cages as the FT and even specifies in the description the AP fans.

Ah! I didn't notice. I did wonder why it was like $20 more than usual. I swear I read that the Silverstone rep on this forum said that they weren't going to release that version of the RV02 in the U.S., hmmmm I might have to pick up that since it's a bit cheaper. Other than the looks the only difference would be the size (I think the RV02 is bigger), the RV02 has 8 expansion slots vs the 7 in the FT02, and the FT02 has some foam on the panels for sound dampening (which you probably could add to the RV02 if you need it).

I don't like the look of the front. Nothing beats the FT02-WRI in looks or form and function imo. This is the case I have waited my whole life for ROFL! If you are running SLI then it really is THE case you must own. The only drawback is the closeness of the optical drives to the lower pcie slot.

Thanks,
Brandon

The HDD bay was the weakest part of the FT02. I liked the original RV02 HDD bay better.
Now they decided to use the same HDD bay on the RV02, this makes the FT02 a better option.

It's the same between then 2 of them, just a different outside. They perform the same.

And WE, I dunno how the HDD bay was the weakest part. I think they were just prone to QC errors, since the first one I got had loose HDD cage issues, and the one I got back on exchange is extremely tight and locks into place very securely.

Hmm does anyone know if GPU coolers with vertical heatpipes work normally when rotated 90 degrees?

Accelero-Xtreme-Plus-18-300x199.jpg

And also would 290mm long Accelero fit inside this case ? (altrough i guess that if 12,25" 5970 fits then it shouldn't be problem)

man the heatshrink on those extensions look terrible.. shit has labels and is like a foot long..

Yeah but that's not a problem.

The problem is a lot of high-end gpu coolers have heatpipes runing same way:

Gelid:
IMG_9579_144_144.gif

Zalman 3000 VF

VF3000F_b_04.jpg

T-rad 2:
file.php

Only ones I have found that don't are TR Spitfire and HR-03 but they cost lot more with proper VRM cooling and GTX 470 adapter.

Hi!

I'm thinking of getting the FT02 case and hoping to get the new penetrator fans too.
What I'm curious is if my rig is "compatible" with the case?

PSU - Corsair HX1000
GPU - Zalman VF3000A
CPU - Prolimatech Super Mega + Noctua P12

Mostly concerned about the CPU cooler at the moment.

If anyone of those isn't good for the case PLEASE tell me what should I buy.

Also are the stock fans okay or should I buy 3rd party fans too?
And are the hard drives any way dampened? Or can you hear then writing on the disk?
I'm looking for extremely quiet but also extremely cool rig.
And if you think this case isn't right for me I'm listening for ideas on that too but I think this just what I'm looking for :)

Thanks in advance!

Make

Sorry my bad English not my native language :) Also written after 24h without sleep :/

Last edited:
It's the same between then 2 of them, just a different outside. They perform the same.

And WE, I dunno how the HDD bay was the weakest part. I think they were just prone to QC errors, since the first one I got had loose HDD cage issues, and the one I got back on exchange is extremely tight and locks into place very securely.

It was the most complained about feature of the case when released. If the HDD bay had QC issues, it was the weak link.
FT02s sold recently have reduced the issue. Everything else is solid.

Last edited:
Hi!

I'm thinking of getting the FT02 case and hoping to get the new penetrator fans too.
What I'm curious is if my rig is "compatible" with the case?

PSU - Corsair HX1000
GPU - Zalman VF3000A
CPU - Prolimatech Super Mega + Noctua P12

Mostly concerned about the CPU cooler at the moment.

If anyone of those isn't good for the case PLEASE tell me what should I buy.

Also are the stock fans okay or should I buy 3rd party fans too?
And are the hard drives any way dampened? Or can you hear then writing on the disk?
I'm looking for extremely quiet but also extremely cool rig.
And if you think this case isn't right for me I'm listening for ideas on that too but I think this just what I'm looking for :)

Thanks in advance!

Make

Sorry my bad English not my native language :) Also written after 24h without sleep :/

Everything shoudl work just fine with the FT02. HDDs are super quiet.

It was the most complained about feature of the case when released. If the HHD bay had QC issues, it was the weak link.
FT02s sold recently have reduced the issue. Everything else is solid.

Yeah they must have had a bad case of QC issues, and I know when I talked to Tony he said sometimes that area could warp.

The new ones are absolutely perfect.

Thanks for answering Petey1013!
But I'm still concerned about the GPU cooler because the heatpipes are facing to ground so the gravity would pull the liquid down or it doesn't go like this?

Thanks for answering Petey1013!
But I'm still concerned about the GPU cooler because the heatpipes are facing to ground so the gravity would pull the liquid down or it doesn't go like this?

They are pressured inside so it doesn't matter the way you hold it. If you have a bench-style case and you put a normal tower-heatsink the heatpipes will point up..and they work fine.

So, dont worry :)

Hi, here they have tested aftermark gpu coolers in raven chassi in vertical and horizontal postion and the result is big:

http://en.expreview.com/2010/11/15/90°-rotationhow-to-install-heatpipe-cooler/11843.html/5

however it seems its matter of the quality of the heatpipe itself if it got wicks or not as explain on wikipedia:
"Inside the pipe's walls, an optional wick structure exerts a capillary pressure on the liquid phase of the working fluid. This is typically a sintered metal powder or a series of grooves parallel to the pipe axis, but it may be any material capable of exerting capillary pressure on the condensed liquid to wick it back to the heated end. The heat pipe may not need a wick structure if gravity or some other source of acceleration is sufficient to overcome surface tension and cause the condensed liquid to flow back to the heated end."

If the heatpipe doesnt have wick it sometimes cant push the liquid back to the heated end, so most likely this that caused the bad results in the above test or what you think? Im not an engineer so i basically just thinking freely here :p

I got the FT02 chassi together with accelero S1 which got wicks and my temp from my old open antec chassi dropped alot.

Those results above are the product of those companies putting really crappy and cheap heatpipes without wicks in them. If this was simply a matter of "are the heatpipes vertical or horizontal" then you'd see a bunch of people complaining about how their CPU heatsinks don't work well in these cases, and we know that's definitely not the case. Reference GPU coolers have heatpipes (with wicks) and they perform fantastically in the RV/FT02.

Last edited:
Ouc that test hurt. So the only unaffected solution would be Spitfire.

Now i have to decide if i want FT2/R2 and stay with stock coolers on gpus or go with accelero for gtx and take some more classical case like HAF 912 or maybe one of Lian Li.

Waiting for someone to do the "cylon eye" mod on the RV02.

The RV02 is honestly probably the only "cool-looking" case I would be able to stand having. It's just subdued enough to not be offensive, but still a hair more flashy than the FT02. That said, my FT02 isn't going anywhere (old fans and fault HDD cage and all :) ).

I like how they did that rear radiator mount, but damn, that tubing just looks sloppy the way they've done it. Cut's right across your vision and there's not enough of it in other places so it really stands out as "something doesn't belong."

Hi guys! I show you some pictures of my integration.

WC components:
WB: HeatKiller CPU Rev3.0
Radiator: Swiftech MCR320 - QP Stack 360mm
Pump: Swiftech MCP350@355
Tubing: Masterkleer 15,9/12,7mm UV-reactive black
Fittings: Bitspower 16/13mm - matt black
Reservoir: XSPC Dual 5.25 Reservoir for 1 Laing DDC

I replaced the top fan with an Enermax Apollish and this is the result :p

What do you think? :cool:

Back