New Silverstone FT02

Hey I was wondering if anyone with this case would tell me if the top lid sits flush with the aluminum outer casing?
Mine has always been off by a mil or so as you can see here.

dsc03198ex.jpg
dsc03204dl.jpg

Not a huge problem, just wondering if it is a fault or this is normal.

Thanks Petey.

I've been thinking of buying a Silverstone Strider Plus PSU for the modular cables, my only concern is that the shorter design will mean the PSUs fan won't line up with the PSU case vent.
Would rather not install it backwards sucking air from inside the case.

Anyone have a Strider in their FT02 working with the case vent?

I don't have a strider but my Coolermaster Silent Pro 700 doesn't line up flush, but I put it in anyway, doesn't make any difference really.

I'd be curious to see if anyone has a list of what PSUs work to line up properly.

Has anyone seen pics of an FT02 with an AX1200 installed? Wondering about the PSU fan - vent alignment as well.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow when my FT02 gets here :D

BTW, nice one Sylar

Hey I was wondering if anyone with this case would tell me if the top lid sits flush with the aluminum outer casing?
Mine has always been off by a mil or so as you can see here.

Not a huge problem, just wondering if it is a fault or this is normal.

Mine's perfectly flush.... weird.

Has anyone seen pics of an FT02 with an AX1200 installed? Wondering about the PSU fan - vent alignment as well.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow when my FT02 gets here :D

BTW, nice one Sylar

I've had the AX1200 installed in my red one, but I returned it too. Noisy hum to the unit. The only thing is the fan is more centered to the exhaust and the wires come down a bit for easy reach, but JGuru is right, the contrast of wire type (flat and non) is not as nice as uniform. So pick a side with wires Corsair...

My XFX 6870 is here!!!!!!! Pretty, so much more pretty in person, I even like the artwork now. Looks good next to my REX3 mobo. Does not flex like the open air shrouds do on the VGA Board. I think I will roll with this card for a while. It's not like I need more GPU power than this right now for 1080p gaming.

I've had the AX1200 installed in my red one, but I returned it too. Noisy hum to the unit. The only thing is the fan is more centered to the exhaust and the wires come down a bit for easy reach, but JGuru is right, the contrast of wire type (flat and non) is not as nice as uniform. So pick a side with wires Corsair...

Cool, thanks for the info. The AX1200 I got is still sealed in the packaging, so I haven't even taken it out to look at it yet.

I also have an ST1500 I could use as well, so I suppose I can pick and choose, but was leaning towards the AX1200 due to the gold efficiency and single rail

Mine's perfectly flush.... weird.

Interesting, mind posting a photo?

I've been thinking of buying one of the new cases with AP181s and selling my current case to a friend. Works out cheaper than replacing the fans.

The XFX 6870 meets the FT02-WB. The card is more "red" than my cell phone can capture and the PCI vents are the black nickle ones Silverstone sells separatly. A mini Displayport to Displayport adapter did not come with the card. Now I have to buy one! Would it kill XFX to include one?

IMAG0137.jpg

IMAG0134.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like I'll be buying this case in the near future, only thing that has me concerned is the Hard Drive cooling, could anyone share their HDD temps with the AP181 fans? Thanks

Looks like I'll be buying this case in the near future, only thing that has me concerned is the Hard Drive cooling, could anyone share their HDD temps with the AP181 fans? Thanks

Drive temps can very ALOT from hdd to hdd... that said there were some guys in the thread that had great luck in keeping very cool temps by removing the cadges that weren't in use. that seemed to really improve airflow around the drives :cool:

I never plan on having more than 2 hard drives. And I will eventually move to Xfire with the Barts or Cayman cards. Given that info, which PSU would you recommend for this case? I haven't built a system in a few years, but I'm a silence nut and a gamer - so I guess that's relevant info for choosing a power supply. Thanks for any input.

Hey Sifu,

Recommendation from me would be a Corsair HX850 or 1000, HX850 is what I'm currently running. The only reason I'm looking into a Strider is because they come with 100% modular cabling, sleeving the corsair all the way into the box was a pain in the ass ^^

I'm thinking I read it earlier in this thread but can't find it. Are the Raven2's shipping from Amazon with these AP181 fans now?

Edit: Ordered the RV02 from Amazon. Signed up for the month free "Prime" membership and got overnight shipping for $3.99. Got my fingers crossed for some AP fans.

Last edited:
Has anyone here tried replacing the screws with silicon rubber ones that hold the 180MM fans in the bottom trays?

Just to confirm others' posts, my new ft02b-w from amazon came last week with the ap181 fans too.

im looking at picking up an ft-02 some time, and ive got a couple quick questions about it.

1. is the difference between the old and new fans really worth it? (im a cheap bastard, so ive been checking ebay and craigslist)
2. does this come with any kind of cable extenders for the back connections? or am i going to be SOL and need to purchase new cables? ive got a couple that are pretty tight as is, and would be impossible with a top mounted system.

Has anyone seen anyone who bought a FT02B without a window get the AP181s? Or is it just the window versions that are coming with the AP181s on new stock?

I'm told both fto2 black versions are new fan stock unless ur etailers have old stock on hand. Buy direct from silverstone threw sundialmicro. Stay away from silver models for now. The new fans are very much worth it, u would be silly not to get them, the new fans on low are like the old fans on high. The only extra internal cables I needed was some 300mm or 600mm SATA Power extension cables, and only two of em, one for the ssd and one for the disc drive. The HD caddies were easier to reach without extension cords. I have no issues yet for the external back connections length. My usb hub in my dell display helps with keyboard and mouse reach in my system. So a usb hub should be of help if it's a stretch. Zip ties and 12 HALF INCH screw in cable saddles and ur good to go.

Last edited:
Yeah I got an old stock FT02B but had to RMA it cause of loose drivecages. Place i got it from got new stock in and that's where my new case is coming from, so hopefully it's got the AP181s. I only asked cause of the 3-5 people I've seen post about receiving the new cases with the new fans have all been either RV02s or FT02B-Ws

Both black with window and black no window stock at silverstones warehouse is updated. U just need to order threw someone who orders direct, like sundialmicro does.

I have to say as of recently I have been very pleased with Silverstones cases and how they're laid out. It shows they put some actual thought into air flow and asthetics

Got my new case and it had AP181s!

Woot. Drivecage issue was fixed and they are perfect and VERY secure now.

img00014201011042034.jpg

lurking around for quite sometime now... It has been some year (s) since i last build and use a desktop.
Been using laptop for last 7 years..
Planning to rebuild a new baby for myself in December.

Anyone have any views on the FT02 vs the V1020?
I love the 90deg mobo twist idea and yet, can't change my mind off the new V1020 Mac look!

I got a FT02-B from Newegg last week and was happy to see it came with the AP181 fans.

I was just finishing it up today, and noticed something. The bottom rivets on both sides seem to be missing.
ft02.jpg

Anyone else have a case with this issue?

The AP181 don't need the honeycomb cover. The spiral grill does what the old honeycomb cover did, and it does it better.

Teiresias - when you say it still doesn't line up with the vent - what percentage blockage of the fan intake do you get? And did you ever try the reversed layout you mention?
I have a Corsair AX850 (which we all know is a rebadged - essentially - seasonic). I had to remove the fan grill to have it fit flush in the case, though it obviously still doesn't line up with the vent. Doing this makes the velcro strap useless since it would touch the fan, so the PSU is only held up by the screws and the little plastic insert. Seems stable enough.

Like you though, I'm wondering about just turning it around and turning it into an exhaust, though I wonder if that's really healthy for the power supply. This is one of those PSUs that doesn't run the fan as much, so I think it might add to the noise if I turn it around so that the innards are getting exposed to the internal heat in the case.

Teiresias - when you say it still doesn't line up with the vent - what percentage blockage of the fan intake do you get? And did you ever try the reversed layout you mention?

The fan sits about 0.5" - 1" higher than the vent in the case (since the rear case vent is built to accommodate one of Silverstone's longer PSUs - though I'm not sure whether the shorter or longer PSU is technically "ATX Standard" or if there is a standard ATX PSU length at all).

I haven't turned it around yet. I may bother doing it the next time I have to open my case if I feel like it. With the prices of GTX 460s dropping, I may be opening it up to add a second for SLI, so that'd be when I'd do that.

Back