New Silverstone Alta F1

chimim0ry0

Weaksauce
I
Hey here's a random question (and I suspect the answer is "no", but I'll ask all the same): I've mostly bought cases that were "inverted" (window on the right side) ever since I first bought an FT02. Is the Alta F1 able to be rearranged or bolted together in such a way that it could be disassembled facing the other direction?
Wish it did too. I would buy it immediately if you could

Tony Ou

SilverStone Tech Representative
The front panel contains the I/O ports cutout so you wouldn't be able to use the I/O ports if you did rearrange front panel to the rear of the chassis!

SamuelL421

Limp Gawd
The front panel contains the I/O ports cutout so you wouldn't be able to use the I/O ports if you did rearrange front panel to the rear of the chassis!
Appreciate the info on it. Well it wouldn’t be the first time I try something I’ll-advised with a dremel tool :p

CammKelly

n00b
Whelp, appears the EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra falls into the category of doesn't work in this orientation, so on the lookout for a new case.

It is a gorgeous looking case though, especially after I replaced the AP141's with the ARGB versions, its a lovely subtle effect (photo attached massively overstates it, its about 50% less bright than that) that ties into the front facscia RGB really well. Combined with the other downsides of the case (tempered glass showing the cable mess up top, tempered glass right hand side showing cable mess behind (even if you can do work to minimise it), the above back of motherboard fan placement being pretty unuseable for almost anything, the 'fan filter' bending (one of the plastic bits broke on mine as well) and I think you might be right to discontinue this case.

What could work well however is rotate the motherboard into a traditional ATX position, but keep the bottom fans as they are. Move the psu somewhere else, front or bottom is my guess), and optimise top 2x140mm fan placement for a 280mm radiator. So you keep the stack cooling idea but in a layout that works with modern GPU's I guess.

I'm thinking of the Seta Q1, but no tempered glass side panel. The A1 maybe, but there's enough downsides to the A1 over the Q1 to not be a clear winner. If I can get my hands on an FT04, maybe also, although I'd have to rearrange my room to get the window to face the right side, but it'd be nice to get back to the beautiful rounded aluminium of the FT series.

Attachments

• photo_2021-11-11_22-06-23.jpg
    photo_2021-11-11_22-06-23.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

vlad_8011

n00b
Whelp, appears the EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra falls into the category of doesn't work in this orientation, so on the lookout for a new case.

It is a gorgeous looking case though, especially after I replaced the AP141's with the ARGB versions, its a lovely subtle effect (photo attached massively overstates it, its about 50% less bright than that) that ties into the front facscia RGB really well. Combined with the other downsides of the case (tempered glass showing the cable mess up top, tempered glass right hand side showing cable mess behind (even if you can do work to minimise it), the above back of motherboard fan placement being pretty unuseable for almost anything, the 'fan filter' bending (one of the plastic bits broke on mine as well) and I think you might be right to discontinue this case.

What could work well however is rotate the motherboard into a traditional ATX position, but keep the bottom fans as they are. Move the psu somewhere else, front or bottom is my guess), and optimise top 2x140mm fan placement for a 280mm radiator. So you keep the stack cooling idea but in a layout that works with modern GPU's I guess.

I'm thinking of the Seta Q1, but no tempered glass side panel. The A1 maybe, but there's enough downsides to the A1 over the Q1 to not be a clear winner. If I can get my hands on an FT04, maybe also, although I'd have to rearrange my room to get the window to face the right side, but it'd be nice to get back to the beautiful rounded aluminium of the FT series.
Thanks for sharing information about case + GPU compatibility.

For current resolution - did You tought about putting the case on its back (PSU on bottom)? You just would need some case feet, to make distance for PSU intake. Even in that orientation this case is far above competition as you got additional back fans (in standard orientation top fans) - no dust for GPU through PCI slot covers. Only downside would be weak access to side panels release buttons and reset button, but overall you woul have Power button, USB and audio ports on top - back part of case, so if You would put case side to You, there would be benefit from this :) .

Please let's make one thing crystal clear:

Concerning ALL GPU coolers used in last, this and next generation:
The internal wick structure of EVGAs coolers play the nicest concerning this particular vertical orientation.
If this kind of cooler doesn't even work anymore , then ...

Add bluntness:
No fricking body will produce GPU coolers which will play nice with this orientaion anymore, EVER!

I tried to make it work for over 4000 days and the last 1000 i just had to compensate with raw 180mm fanpower.

"That this particular vertical position will nevermore play a vital role should by now be evident to most.
It isn't an advantage. It has become a hindrance." - 11.18.2021 Carlyle2020

This overheats with ALL fans on max:
20211117_164153.jpg

I even tested two cards

By comparison this yanky setup is 8 to 10 degrees cooler with ALL fans running 80%
(everything finally below 80 degree C):
20211117_173247.jpg

@Silverstone: What to do if even the most hardcore fan cannot make the "OG" vertical position work anymore?

I suggest kindly keeping the 3x fans but putting in 2x GPU positions in the case (normal and vertical) if you are to fearfull to get rid of the "OG" vertical one.
And as you see i really don't care if a PSU gets fresh air anymore. Like i don't care about pressure, postive or negative.
I only care about airflow ! Because that's also the way the noisy sound flows!
From the bottom to the back. Any other way is suboptimal!
And you should utilize the backside of your cases better. Like putting in a place for an AIO maybe?

Warning:
The word "chimney" is a RED FLAG!
Your Technicians deserve so much better from the marketing dept. !

I am looking forward to your next ideas ! The last big one did make for a good base to tinker with :)
stageIII300.gif
31.5.jpg
39,6.jpg
280.jpg

Concerning the precisious AP fans:
The Moment Noctua delivers the new 140mm fans you can kiss your 180mm production goodbye. Cheap 3D printed 140 to 180 adapters will make sure of it. Who wanted louder fans in idle which can do 1500 instead of 1000 rpm? I mean you do see what i had to do to silcence them at least a little bit?

Attachments

• 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    526.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    622.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    735.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 280.jpg
    280.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Tony Ou

SilverStone Tech Representative
Carlyle2020, thanks for sharing how you tinkered with the FT02, very cool! To our knowledge the reference (founders) cards should all still work OK in vertical orientation so there are definitely more options available. We've been improving our Air Penetrator 180mm fans the last couple of years with new motor IC/bearing so AP183 for example can spin down to 400rpm while Air Penetrator 184i PRO is capable of 0rpm~1200rpm via PWM. Please check them out if you haven't already.

vlad_8011

n00b
I still wonder why this is so big secret about GPU's having such problems with such mounting orientation - none of YTbers still havent responded nor made any video about this issue. I was guessing that Steve from GamersNexus will be all over on this topic, that he will be first to respond but no - Hardare unboxed, LTT, GN - all went quiet, even while i'm still writing comments under their videos about it. I really wanted 6800XT to be paired with my Ryzen 5800XT, but it seems like there is no issue from devs, content creators, and AMD itself - no statement yet. Only poor users with all their problems...... Thats my last build, thats for sure, i'm happy that at least i got this case.

D-EJ915

[H]ard|Gawd
I still wonder why this is so big secret about GPU's having such problems with such mounting orientation - none of YTbers still havent responded nor made any video about this issue. I was guessing that Steve from GamersNexus will be all over on this topic, that he will be first to respond but no - Hardare unboxed, LTT, GN - all went quiet, even while i'm still writing comments under their videos about it. I really wanted 6800XT to be paired with my Ryzen 5800XT, but it seems like there is no issue from devs, content creators, and AMD itself - no statement yet. Only poor users with all their problems...... Thats my last build, thats for sure, i'm happy that at least i got this case.
they don't really care unless it will get video clicks which this niche problem won't

emphy

Limp Gawd
Since Silverstone also has some cases with inverted motherboard layout, I'd be interested to know: are there similar cooling broblems when the video card is upside down?

CammKelly

n00b
Since Silverstone also has some cases with inverted motherboard layout, I'd be interested to know: are there similar cooling broblems when the video card is upside down?

No there isn't, its effectively the same as when the card is in the normal ATX rotation.

noko

Supreme [H]ardness
How thick of a radiator can one put on the bottom? Plus can the hot air from a bottom radiator blow down and out of the case while the bottom fans blow cool air up into the case? Good place for custom loop pump and reservoir? Under power supply removing the drive cage?

280w Threadripper stock and 360w with PBO -> thinking 360mm thick radiator plus fans on bottom
350w Hybrid EVGA 3090 XC3 Ultra, radiator on top
1-2 additional GPU's, air cooled

Loved my Raven RV02B case, could not fit radiators in it so had to let it go at the time. Best built/quality case I've ever owned. 1080Ti's, 2x in SLI worked great.

CammKelly

n00b
How thick of a radiator can one put on the bottom? Plus can the hot air from a bottom radiator blow down and out of the case while the bottom fans blow cool air up into the case? Good place for custom loop pump and reservoir? Under power supply removing the drive cage?

280w Threadripper stock and 360w with PBO -> thinking 360mm thick radiator plus fans on bottom
350w Hybrid EVGA 3090 XC3 Ultra, radiator on top
1-2 additional GPU's, air cooled

Loved my Raven RV02B case, could not fit radiators in it so had to let it go at the time. Best built/quality case I've ever owned. 1080Ti's, 2x in SLI worked great.

Pretty well much as thick as you like as long as your card is under 300mmm. Rotating the airflow in a WC setup is a bit silly, don't be afraid to exhaust air into the case as the delta between your fresh air and hot air should still be sufficiently cool. But I think you'd have trouble getting enough airflow if you are trying to push air in from the top.