New Short For Blade Runner 2049 - 2036: Nexus Dawn

monkeymagick

[H]News
Those of you who are looking forward to Blade Runner 2049 have something to help with the wait. First premiered by Collider, this short film entitlted "2036: Nexus Dawn" explains a little of some of the events that took place between the first film and the sequel. A character by the name of Niander Wander introduces a new line of replicants. There is a small intro by the director Denis Villeneuve at the start.

Catch a glimpse of the meeting.

Actually really enjoyed that - was very well done. I feel Leto is going to be great in 2049.

Well JL may do a fine job in the movie.

I am slightly more convinced today I will enjoy this film at least for what it is....

Still I can't help but feel this is in the end still going to feel like watching highlander 2. The first runner was perfect, I have never loved a film more... answering questions best left unanswered I feel is going to leave me in a situation where its best to forget this one 2 min after I see it. On the other hand ... if all the performances are on point and they nail the tone and cinematography. Well then perhaps I can enjoy it in an alt universe (in my mind) way highlander 2 was simply not good enough to warrant.

What would have been stupid cool for the blade runner property. Would have been having the directors of these shots... instead direct completely alternate versions of blade runner 2049. 3 versions all with different takes of what happened after the first. They could have shared costs shooting them like newline did with the rings movies. Dropped one every October for 3 years and owned the fall box office if the first one hit. The big fans of the first BR would be happy that they where all official "alt universe" type stories... and that they where getting 3 different versions/stories. I mean hell we live in a world where universal thinks a "dark universe" spat of crap monster movies is a good idea, so why not 3 different versions of blade runner 2. (hell more then 3 would be fine to... give every hot Sci Fi up an coming director a chance to show the world their take on a sequel to a movie that is likely in every one of their top 5 movies of all time lists. I would pay to watch and own everyone.)

Still I can't help but feel this is in the end still going to feel like watching highlander 2.

For every Highlander 2, there's a Terminator 2, Wrath of Khan, Godfather Part II or Empire Strikes Back though. It's a myth that all sequels are rubbish - if done properly they can be excellent. I get your concern though, as I have the same concerns, but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt because Villeneuve really does seem to be a passionate fan of the original.

For every Highlander 2, there's a Terminator 2, Wrath of Khan, Godfather Part II or Empire Strikes Back though. It's a myth that all sequels are rubbish - if done properly they can be excellent. I get your concern though, as I have the same concerns, but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt because Villeneuve really does seem to be a passionate fan of the original.

There's great sequels alright, but the ratio isn't that good.

That said, when it's a sequel made a bunch of time later, that isn't a straight up attempt to cash in on the success of a first film while there's still buzz around it, chances are way better.
Most sequels fail because they have little time for polish, and they try to make up for it by throwing money at it, money + going big =/= time + care

This one really does seem to have all it's ducks in a row though, same basic creative team, strong cast, strong director, original director who's gone insane but is taking more of a back seat (basically the same set up as the new Star Wars movies :p ... although The Martian showed Ridley Scott still can make a decent movie)

There's great sequels alright, but the ratio isn't that good.

That's true enough - certainly not as many as I'd like. Matrix Reloaded comes to mind rather suddenly... :)

I think people are a bit down on Ridley Scott, but then I'm one of those people who didn't hate Prometheus. It wasn't amazing, but not as bad I think as some people make it out to be. Haven't seen Covenant yet though...

That's true enough - certainly not as many as I'd like. Matrix Reloaded comes to mind rather suddenly... :)

I think people are a bit down on Ridley Scott, but then I'm one of those people who didn't hate Prometheus. It wasn't amazing, but not as bad I think as some people make it out to be. Haven't seen Covenant yet though...

I don't dislike Prometheus, it was hamstrung by a messed up development process though. They didn't really decide what it was until they were basically already shooting, They moved back and forth between making it a reboot, or a prequel or a fully standalone thing until way too late, so the final shooting version was a mashup of concepts from the different versions, and it suffered because of it (like the black goo, it's purpose is not "mysterious" they hadn't actually nailed down consistently what the fuck it did by they time they had to actually finalize the shooting plan, so it wound up just being confusing, because the scenes involving it came from basically two different movies)
That was all on Ridley Scott though, not being able to hold a clear vision, so I'm glad he's one step removed on BR2049

Last edited:

Its not the crap sequel I'm worried about really. I have seen plenty of great sequels.

The issue is movies that end in a way that not only don't setup a sequel, but where any sequel destroys a bit of what made the first one great.

Highlander ends with Mcloud winning the gift of mortality. There can be only one.... unless we run out of ideas anyway. The first one stands on its own... the second lessens the first simply by existing. The fact that it sucked just made it worse.

Blade runner is much the same, it had a perfect ending that left questions on purpose. IMO 2049 runs the risk of partly ruining a master piece for future generations... that concerns me. I agree with you though I love Villeneuve and want to see what he has created... I just hope it makes up for the open questions its going to answer from the first that really shouldn't have likely ever been answered. Which is why I would have loved if they had made it an official possible-alt universe entry... as I stated I would have loved to have seen 3-4 different takes from a bunch of directors. Don't get me wrong, they already have my money... its not like hollywoo is offering us a ton of stuff to get excited about lately. Arrival is the last sci fi flick I enjoyed so I am looking forward to 2049 more then I thought I would be. My first reaction to the news they where making a BR sequel was not joy.... but the idea has softened on me due to the talent involved.

Interesting. This feels like it was cut from the movie and repurposed to me. Not shot on purpose to be a teaser short.

I'll be there. I only go see 1 or 2 movies a year, this will be one of them.

If I was a blade runner, I'd be carrying a shard of glass with me from now on, appears to be their weakness, LOL

Wonder if they decided to make this short because they had to cut from the movie run time. Makes for a good marketing move, doesn't waste the footage, and fills the gap of story.

The movie is currently slated to be 163 minutes (2hrs 43mins) with credits.

Back