New SG-01 CPU Cooler reviewed @ SFFTech

Hard to believe that thing works better than a Zalman 7000B, but I guess depending on the power supply...

are their any pictures in that review or is it just my browser not loading correctly?

If no pictures than that review is underwhelming :)

Steeeeve said:
are their any pictures in that review or is it just my browser not loading correctly?

If no pictures than that review is underwhelming :)
It would seem that theres pictures there but they're not showing up for me either.

WTF 60 bucks? That's a little too much IMO, it looks just like a XP-90 to me.

so theyre using the heatsink w/o the 120mm fan attached and cooling it passively with the psu and crossflow? kinda hard to tell weithout pictures...

Figures. Finished up my build last week and wondered why my CNPS7700 was noisier than in a standard ATX case, and why the temps were higher. Turns out the 120mm exhaust fan on the PSU and the 7700 are working against each other. Boo.

Maybe I should just drop the $60 and pick up this cooler. It will force me to fix a couple of build issues I'd like to address anyways.

-E

MrE said:
Figures. Finished up my build last week and wondered why my CNPS7700 was noisier than in a standard ATX case, and why the temps were higher. Turns out the 120mm exhaust fan on the PSU and the 7700 are working against each other. Boo.

Maybe I should just drop the $60 and pick up this cooler. It will force me to fix a couple of build issues I'd like to address anyways.

-E

Yeah I found that to be a probelm too!... (TT ORB II) SUCKS...

Welp, after finishing up my previous thought I visited our friends and creators of debt, Newegg and purchased it. I'll let you guys know how much of a difference it makes both temp wise as well as noise.

-E

lol
i have a 7700Cu and the case fan as an intake and it runs perfectly fine and good temps even @ minimum rpms

w00ty said:
lol
i have a 7700Cu and the case fan as an intake and it runs perfectly fine and good temps even @ minimum rpms

What are your temps? and which case fan are you talking about?

w00ty said:
lol
Please re-read what I wrote previously. Noise mainly, secondary was temps were higher. Not higher in the sense of "OMG its melting!!" but that of a noticable 2-3c higher temps.

Also, you are running a slower SanDiego core overclocked so your milage will vary.

-E

so youre basically getting the nt06 because it cools better than the zalman?
its noisier though right?

It does seem based upon the link above that it runs cooler than the Zalman, but the main issue I have is noise. With a PSU that has a 120mm intake fan sitting on top of the 7700 120mm the two create a fan howl at high RPM. Using the Zalman fan control, I can change the pitch whine by dropping the RPM's but at a significant loss in cooling. If a "fanless" solution for the heatsink is able to counter this whine, then its $60 well spent in my book

-E

MrE good to see your going to take the plunge I'm interested to see how it cools. Can you post some pics when you get it installed.

I also got one on order it should be here by the end of the week. I got mine from www.sundialmicro.com They shipped it the same day I ordered it. Sweet! Right now I'm using an all copper 7000 and I'm getting temps in the mid 50s for idle. Hopefully I'll see a drop in temps like sudhian did. I'll post back here with temps and pics too.

MrE said:
It does seem based upon the link above that it runs cooler than the Zalman, but the main issue I have is noise. With a PSU that has a 120mm intake fan sitting on top of the 7700 120mm the two create a fan howl at high RPM. Using the Zalman fan control, I can change the pitch whine by dropping the RPM's but at a significant loss in cooling. If a "fanless" solution for the heatsink is able to counter this whine, then its $60 well spent in my book

-E

Do you have an FX121 also MrE?

VoBoy said:
Do you have an FX121 also MrE?
Nope, no need for the FX121. The reviewer used the 120mm exhaust fan from the PSU to take care of the heat venting. I'd imagine that adding a crossfan in there would cause case to not vent as well as it will try to push heat out of the side of the case.

-E

If this new Silverstone cooler fits in the SG01, hypothetically, the XP90 and XP120 should fit as well, correct? I want to know, as I would like to cool my case passively.

igl00jx said:
If this new Silverstone cooler fits in the SG01, hypothetically, the XP90 and XP120 should fit as well, correct? I want to know, as I would like to cool my case passively.

Yeah pretty sure they'd fit. SI-120 won't unless some modding of PSU. Anything less than a height of 78MM is ok.

i just thought to myself that it would be crazy awesome if you could mount the fan from the bottom and blow the air up into the psu. then i looked closer at the pictures and saw that the bracket they use to mount the fan cant be flipped.

I wonder if you can mount the fan on the underside of the NT06 heatsink blowing up? If you can find a thin (15mm depth) 120mm fan that fits on the underside and have it blowing up into the power supply fan. I wonder if that works...hmmm..might have to look into that..

I bought a SG-01 a couple of months ago. I would have waited if I knew Silverstone was going to release the SG-01 Evolution ;) Anyway, my goal was building a system that was as quiet as possible. I mounted a Thermalright XP-120 on my Athlon64 3500+ and installed an Antec TruePower 2.0 which has a temperature controlled 120 mm fan. It works but everything is getting very, very hot inside! I have to say that the casefans run at low speed to reduce noice. The noisiest part in my system is the Zalman VF700-Cu @ 5V on my 6600GT. Sometimes I don't realise the thing is on!
I tried stressing the CPU with the torture test of Prime95. After 10 minutes, the CPU temperature rose above 70°C and I stopped the test. As a former owner of a Zalman 7700Cu and a case with four 120mm fans, this freaked me out :) I expected the system to be hot but I thought it was little bit too hot.
I realised the problem was the gap of almost 1,5 cm between the XP-120 and the PSU. So I guess the new SilverStone NT06 cooler will perform better in this specific situation. Like I said about the Evolution: I would have waited if I knew Silverstone was going to release this cooler :) Maybe I will buy the NT06 or maybe I will make a fanduct.
But I was able to drop the temperature with a couple degrees because I also realised there was another problem. The holes for the optional cross flow fan (FX121) are located between the PSU and the XP-120 (if you know what I mean). This means two things:
a) The PSU blows out hot air but is able to suck it (partially) back in
b) If the PSU sucks in air through those holes, the air is not only hotter, it's also an airflow that didn't pass through the XP-120.
So I putted some tape on those holes and ran Prime95 again. Now, the PSU needed to suck air through the sides of the SG-01. Air that is fresher and also partially passes the XP-120. After 1 hour and 40 minutes, the temperature didn't rise above 67°C. That's almost a decrease of 5°C with a simple and cheap mod! I would recommend it to every owner of a SG01 with a similar setup.
The temperature is still high but I'm able to play games without a problem. Within a couple of weeks/months, I'm going to try some other things to bring the temperature further down without increasing the noise. It's fun :D
Blur2u said:
I wonder if you can mount the fan on the underside of the NT06 heatsink blowing up? If you can find a thin (15mm depth) 120mm fan that fits on the underside and have it blowing up into the power supply fan. I wonder if that works...hmmm..might have to look into that..
I wouldn't recommend it. The difference in airflow between the two fans creates a turbulence which means more noise. And would it cool much better?

Nice info there D-Three. I don't have the fx121 but I own an AMS ecube and it uses the same crossflow fan. I took it out my ecube a while back when I modded my ecube. Good thing I keep everything. :D Now I can use it back there. It fits perfectly. So if you guys want you can just buy a generic crossflow fan and it should fit. The screw holes line up perfectly. I'm going to install it once my nt06 arrives on friday. My temps should drop dramatically once everything is istalled.

D-Three, don't feel bad about having the SG01 instead of the SG01e. The only huge difference is the fitment for an 80mm fan. Its still a great quality case. To me it wasn't such a big let down when the new one came out.

i'd really want to try the NT06 but i gotta rma my psu. so instead im just going to try this combo.. NeoHE 550 + Blue Orb II + FX121 and hopefully thatll be a quiet and cool solution.
For those getting the NT06, good luck and keep us posted.

Calpis said:
i'd really want to try the NT06 but i gotta rma my psu. so instead im just going to try this combo.. NeoHE 550 + Blue Orb II + FX121 and hopefully thatll be a quiet and cool solution.
For those getting the NT06, good luck and keep us posted.

Man I'm glad your mobo fits the ORBII and FX121... Mine doesn't. Hopefully the NT06 is better than the ORBII, I'd gladly put mine up for sale then so I could use the FX121 more propperly.

haha, thanks for the heads up because i havent taken any measurements yet...

Fanatik said:
Nice info there D-Three.
Thanks! :cool:
Fanatik said:
I don't have the fx121 but I own an AMS ecube and it uses the same crossflow fan. I took it out my ecube a while back when I modded my ecube. Good thing I keep everything. :D Now I can use it back there. It fits perfectly. So if you guys want you can just buy a generic crossflow fan and it should fit. The screw holes line up perfectly. I'm going to install it once my nt06 arrives on friday. My temps should drop dramatically once everything is istalled.
If possible, could you try it with and without that cross flow fan? And with the "tape mod"? Thanks! :)
Fanatik said:
D-Three, don't feel bad about having the SG01 instead of the SG01e. The only huge difference is the fitment for an 80mm fan. Its still a great quality case. To me it wasn't such a big let down when the new one came out.
I don't feel very bad because I think the Evolution could have been done better. :D

Well I got it yesterday and it wasn't what I expected. My temps with the zalman 7000 were: cpu idle- 51 cpu load-66. When I added the tape on the back it made no difference to my temps. When I added the crossflow fan my temps dropped 2c for both idle and load. Here is the not so good news. When I put on the nt06 my temps actually rose 1c for load. This really sucks. I'm going to remount it tonight and see what happens. I'll report back later tonight and let you guys know what is going on.

I'd be interested to read how the NT06 turns out.

I've got the SG01E and a Zalman 7000-cu blowing down which fights my Enermax Liberty PSU 120mm fan venting out the back. I modded the Liberty fan with a Nexus 120mm silent that is 300-700 rpm instead of the stock 600-1200 rpm fan.

If the NT06 dissipates heat well, then I may be able to drop the Zalman and just have the PSU fan, but it seems scary to take all that cpu heat through the PSU intentionally.
I have an AMD 3200+ Venice that is idle 35-40C, and load 40-45C.

On the Nexus fan the amperage was 0.3A which matches the stock Liberty fan, but when it starts cold the Nexus actually won't spin up until the temp hits 29C at which time the motor gets enough voltage to spin up. It then goes from 300 rpm up to 700rpm at full load. Pretty nice to have a PSU fan that only fires up after the heat builds.

In that review they mentioned needing to remove the Northbridge heatsink. Didn't mention putting it back on. I also have an artic cooler on my 7900 GT (cut the end to fit) and it helps vent case heat, but from the pci slot side, which doesnt do much for the cpu side.

I'm also considering this Swiftech "micro for SFF" water cooling kit for the SG01E, but its just cpu, and not tested against adding a gpu cooler too.
http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-wat-88.html

If the NT06 is effective, it may be the better solution.

I don't expect the NT06 doing better than a Zalman 7000. I think the NT06 could be a more silent alternative. The CPU may get a few degrees hotter but the noise of the CPU fan will be gone. Especially if you have a PSU with 120 mm fan because I think there will be less turbulance.
Fanatik said:
Well I got it yesterday and it wasn't what I expected. My temps with the zalman 7000 were: cpu idle- 51 cpu load-66. When I added the tape on the back it made no difference to my temps. When I added the crossflow fan my temps dropped 2c for both idle and load. Here is the not so good news. When I put on the nt06 my temps actually rose 1c for load. This really sucks. I'm going to remount it tonight and see what happens. I'll report back later tonight and let you guys know what is going on.
Thanks for the information Fanatik! Did you use AS5 or something like that? Don't forget AS5 needs time to harden. And maybe the tape mod is only usefull for coolers that are lower than the NT06 (like the XP-120)?
NapalmDeath said:
I've got the SG01E and a Zalman 7000-cu blowing down which fights my Enermax Liberty PSU 120mm fan venting out the back. I modded the Liberty fan with a Nexus 120mm silent that is 300-700 rpm instead of the stock 600-1200 rpm fan.

If the NT06 dissipates heat well, then I may be able to drop the Zalman and just have the PSU fan, but it seems scary to take all that cpu heat through the PSU intentionally.
I have an AMD 3200+ Venice that is idle 35-40C, and load 40-45C.
Taking all the heat through the PSU is also something that scares me. But I'm now doing this partially with the XP-120 and I have seen people who cool their CPU passive and make a duct to the fan of their PSU. So bassicly this is the same. And maybe the 120 mm fan of the PSU isn't completely covered by the NT06 (I hope I said this right ;))? If so, the fan of the PSU sucks in some air from within the case withoud sucking it through the heatsink.

Actually I did use as5. I might run the tests again. I didn't get a chance to mess with it yesterday so I'll try the tests again but I'm not sure when I'll have time. Hopefully tonight.

You are right about the noise. Its much quieter than having the zalman fan on high.

Back