New SFF gamers case: presentation and advices

Anyone have pictures of this case side by side with the Lian Li 354? For size comparison purposes.

Anyone else have trouble fitting their Hard drives into DA Box 100?

I have my HD cage mounted over my video card because that was the only place I could get it to mount.

System specs.
PSU:1200 Watt Ultra
GPU: XFX 6970
CPU: I7 950
RAM: 12 gig DDR3 Corsiar dominator
HD's: 2x WD 1 tb drive 7200 rpm Blacks in Raid 0
MOBO: Asus Rampage 3 Gene

Also my front audio port, and one usb dongle does not work. Other than that, awesome case. I was suprised it all fit so snugly I just need to get shorter cables for my PSU to my perhibials.

... why all these problems hit me, but not you.

You aren't the only one that's had problems with your Da Box 100, bicycle_repairman. I got my Blackheart from the American contingent of LanGear and still have problems. For a case priced as high as this one, it really fails to live up to the promise.

My grievances:
  • When the drive bay cover was snapped off from the case to mount to the drive, it left two sharp prongs on both the cover and the case at the break point, all have to be filed down, which is nearly impossible to do without marring the black finish.
  • The previously mentioned finish is VERY easy to scratch.
  • The chassis cover does not come flush to to the front face plate of the box, nor does it "hook into" the faceplate or the rails at the bottom of the case. As a result, the cover, behind the faceplate, flares out a little. A minor quibble, but noticeable and distracting for a case this expensive.
  • The side usb/audio panel simply DOES NOT fit into the mount for it. It would require more than minor filing to get it to fit, you would actively need to modify the frame of the case... something I am not prepared to do for case in this price range. I contacted LanGear and they stated that the panel I got was one of the newer ones that work better. I guess the trade off is that they don't fit at all. They sent me an older style panel, which is smaller, to try to fit into my case, but it was inadequately packaged and snapped clean in half in the mail. At this point, I just have a hole where the front usb panel goes. This makes me very, very sad.
  • Finally, the customer service is non-existent. It seems like there's only one person handling it, Matt, and in the beginning it seemed he only replied to emails once every month or so. He's nice enough when he does reply, and I'm still trying to get that last issues resolved, but for these last THREE MONTHS, despite repeated emails, I have not been able to get a single reply from them at all.

It's a shame, because I like the case otherwise. It's fits a full-sized power supply, full cpu tower cooler and a large graphics card (tightly, mind, but it does all fit), and looks decent (not great) if you can avoid scratching it. The size is slightly larger than other sff cases, so the airflow seems much better, a fair tradeoff. I also loved that LanGear is a smaller company trying out some new things with case design.

But at this point, I can't even come close to recommending that anyone buy this case. I'm not hardcore about cosmetics, so I'd be able to live with the finish not being perfect and the case cover flaring a bit, except for the fact that this is an freakin $180 case. For this case to have anything other than a flawless sturdy finish is just wrong.

But the thing that turns me off most is that I *frequently* need access to the usb and audio ports. The fact that this case included those in an easily accessible front panel is one of the reason I went with it. Without this feature working, I consider my case to be functionally incomplete and would say that have I have yet to receive the product that I (over)paid for.

I want to like you LanGear, but what it boils down to is that we are paying a premium for a quality case, but the quality is getting lost somewhere along the line. Going dark to emails for the last three months is a pretty crap move, too.

I tried very hard to wait for this case but I can't anymore. I even asked if I could get it shipped from Europe (Oliver has actually gotten back to me, unlike Matt recently) but it was a no go. I find it hard to understand how they can have a hundred in stock -- per the Europe shop page -- in Europe but not send them over here where there's a high demand for them.

I'm getting a SG02-F and modding it (first attempt at modding actually) instead of waiting for the Da Box. I'm still looking at getting the lan gear bag since it looks pretty functional. Maybe I'll revisit the idea of getting a Da Box when Lan gear gets their stuff in order.

You aren't the only one that's had problems with your Da Box 100, bicycle_repairman. I got my Blackheart from the American contingent of LanGear and still have problems. For a case priced as high as this one, it really fails to live up to the promise.
I stand behind this statement 100%.
My grievances:
When the drive bay cover was snapped off from the case to mount to the drive, it left two sharp prongs on both the cover and the case at the break point, all have to be filed down, which is nearly impossible to do without marring the black finish.
This is a valid point.
[*] The previously mentioned finish is VERY easy to scratch.
This, not so much. I used an un-padded jig saw on the thing and didn't scratch it save for 1 place.
[*] The chassis cover does not come flush to to the front face plate of the box, nor does it "hook into" the faceplate or the rails at the bottom of the case. As a result, the cover, behind the faceplate, flares out a little. A minor quibble, but noticeable and distracting for a case this expensive.
Didn't use the 5.25, so I can't comment.
[*] The side usb/audio panel simply DOES NOT fit into the mount for it. It would require more than minor filing to get it to fit, you would actively need to modify the frame of the case... something I am not prepared to do for case in this price range. I contacted LanGear and they stated that the panel I got was one of the newer ones that work better. I guess the trade off is that they don't fit at all. They sent me an older style panel, which is smaller, to try to fit into my case, but it was inadequately packaged and snapped clean in half in the mail. At this point, I just have a hole where the front usb panel goes. This makes me very, very sad.
This seems to be a reoccuring thing, but I had no issues. I also had one of the first cases. How are you guys trying to install it?
[*] Finally, the customer service is non-existent. It seems like there's only one person handling it, Matt, and in the beginning it seemed he only replied to emails once every month or so. He's nice enough when he does reply, and I'm still trying to get that last issues resolved, but for these last THREE MONTHS, despite repeated emails, I have not been able to get a single reply from them at all.
He used to have good service, but I think he's given up, taken his money, and run.
But at this point, I can't even come close to recommending that anyone buy this case. I'm not hardcore about cosmetics, so I'd be able to live with the finish not being perfect and the case cover flaring a bit, except for the fact that this is an freakin $180 case. For this case to have anything other than a flawless sturdy finish is just wrong.
Coming from a $180 Lian-Li, I have to say I was dissapointed. Going back to a $600 Lian-Li, I gotta say I'm never taking a leap of faith with another company again.

I've been waiting for them to get these in stock.

I can't seem to find a better micro-ATX desktop/cube case around.

Putting the PSU over any part of the MB = FAIL
Not being able to use a Thermalright Archon or any other large HSF = FAIL
Being structurally defficient without the outter casing on = FAIL

I've been waiting for them to get these in stock.

I can't seem to find a better micro-ATX desktop/cube case around.

Putting the PSU over any part of the MB = FAIL
Not being able to use a Thermalright Archon or any other large HSF = FAIL
Being structurally defficient without the outter casing on = FAIL

Check out the Fortress 03.

Has anyone ordered/received one of these cases (in the USA) recently? Is the fit and finish still lacking? I tried shopping on their site but the "US Store" link redirects to their EU site. I'm trying to house my new mATX build (Asus Gene-Z, SB 2500K, Radeon 4890) and I'm trying to find the smallest case that will allow me to use my Thermalright TRUE 120 cooler. This one seems like it but I'm leery of spending $160 on a case that has apparent quality control problems, not that I can find it for sale anyway.

Alternatively, does anyone know of another case that has the same layout? I just love the compactness of this layout (cube, PSU in front, no obstructions over the CPU socket, just the one 5.25" drive bay) but it seems like this is the only case that uses it.

Look elsewhere. Lan-Gear has been struggling for a while ... and is probably defunct for all practical purposes (e.g., they've been saying "tomorrow" for over a year in this thread, but never delivered and eventually even stopped to communicate).

I just tried to order one but their were no shippers to USA Alaska. lol oh well

Wondering when the mini ITX cases shown on the site will be released. I'm in the market for something similar to a shuttle.

I just got an email back from the french contact. I asked about when the US store was going to open. They're saying the US store will open again in September 2011 for the release of the ITX infinity case.

What are the differences b/w the Da Box 100 - Blackheart and Classic?

Anyone know if they're going to release new front port modules with USB3.0 for both the Da Box 100 - Blackheart and Classic?

Hello...Langear still breathing?

I must admit that I haven't read all the pages of this thread, tho I see that some people complain about the build quality of this case.
Currently i got a Silverstone SG07, nice case but I kinda need to go mATX. DaBox seems perfect.
Other "competitor" would be the FT03 but it comes with extra costs, like slim slot load ODD which is expensive as hell.
PS: I live in Europe.

Hello...Langear still breathing?

I must admit that I haven't read all the pages of this thread, tho I see that some people complain about the build quality of this case.
Currently i got a Silverstone SG07, nice case but I kinda need to go mATX. DaBox seems perfect.
Other "competitor" would be the FT03 but it comes with extra costs, like slim slot load ODD which is expensive as hell.
PS: I live in Europe.

Have you looked at Lian-Li PC-V354?

I don't like it. Bad design in all LianLi small cases tbh. They are big in terms of volume and have poor PSU placement. PSU either sucks hot air from above CPU or GPU.
I am interested in something cube-like. V354 is rather tower-ish. I'd rather buy Fractal Design Define Mini instead of it.

I don't like it. Bad design in all LianLi small cases tbh. They are big in terms of volume and have poor PSU placement. PSU either sucks hot air from above CPU or GPU.
I am interested in something cube-like. V354 is rather tower-ish. I'd rather buy Fractal Design Define Mini instead of it.

I couldn't agree with you more. LianLi designs are crap. The only upside is they use aluminum.

I couldn't agree with you more. LianLi designs are crap. The only upside is they use aluminum.

While everybody has his own sense of taste, statements like "Lian Li designs are crap" appear to be a bit too broad to be accurate (hint: had it been true in the broad sense implied, Lian Li would have been out of business by now). Out of curiosity, which mATX/mITX case are you using? Perhaps a Windy Soldam?

Last edited:
While everybody has his own sense of taste, statement like "Lian Li designs are crap" appear to be a bit to broad to be accurate (hint: had it been true in the broad sense implied Lian Li would have been out of business by now). Out of curiosity, which mATX/mITX case are you using? Perhaps a Windy Soldham?

Yeah, I guess that is over exaggerated ;)

I personaly prefer Abee for the build quality and material, but I don't live in Japan nor I have the money. Also Abee mini-itx does not support long GPUs....

I now use SG07, for that size it worked fine. I just wish it's aluminum

Anyway, let's not hijack this thread any more :D

I actually have this case and bag combo if anyone is interested in it. It's slightly used. I love it, but I am moving to ITX.

Sorry for bumping this. Anyone got any contact e-mail, forum for these guys?
I really want to buy DaBox Blackheart but want to make sure of some things before I pay.

Don't think anyone on the NA side of the world has heard a peep. Far as we know its a defunct company. My advice is stay away from it.

I personaly prefer Abee for the build quality and material, but I don't live in Japan nor I have the money. Also Abee mini-itx does not support long GPUs....

Not true. I bought an updated version of the T20 which was a pretty big hit a few years ago for people into Abee cases and I believe I've seen a few pics posted on [H] somewhere before. Anyway the case can fit up to 285mm card, which is pretty big.

I ordered a blackheart.. I'm hoping for no problems.... And yes I saw this thread before I ordered & yes I paid a mint for it!!

I ordered a blackheart.. I'm hoping for no problems.... And yes I saw this thread before I ordered & yes I paid a mint for it!!

Did you just see this thread? Or did you read it too? You may have bought quite a bit of a headache ...

Mind telling us how much? I was going to sell my case to an old customer for his gaming rig, but I didn't want to sell it without getting a replacement or properly pricing it.

$179 + Paypal "service fee" + overseas shipping. Couldn't find 1 used but.I do like it for a gamer/HTPC case. Saw the thread & still ordered because on here it seemed like a 50/50 shot, lol.

Well I don't think they are dead. Tho I live in Europe aswell.
I noticed a huge price drop on DaBox. The only thing that keeps me away from ordering is the huge shipping price. It's 40 euros for shipping it to Romania, and I'ts outrageous, considering I paid 17euros for SG07 shipping from Germany.

Olivarius posted on a french forum (I used google translate to understand something), that they plan to launch a v2 DaBox somewhere in 2012.

Now that they dropped the price, I might even cross my heart over the insane shipping price and order one DaBox Blackheart (I like classic but i'ts not black painted inside). Only thing that I am afraid is not to recieve a prototype version.

Back