New SFF gamers case: presentation and advices

Wow this is crazy, I've been lurking on everything related to this box for a while now.. I wanted this box because of the cooling and weight, however I have had many doubts about it; is there enough place for 2 GPUs? is the H50 suitable? What about this? What about that?

You guys have answered all my questions, and some of the H50 users/2 GPU users provided some awesome pictures of their setup - thank you for that!

I'm sitting in a Thermaltake Lanbox case at the moment and is looking forward to move my system out of it and into Da Box, as my current case isn't looking too good and has a terrible weight compared to DaBox's.

As I see it won't be a problem having;

MSI 890GXM-G65
AMD Phenom II X4 965BE [Cooling: Corsair H50]
4GB Corsair DDR3 Dominator RAM
HX650W Corsair Modular PSU
Samsung PM800 128GB SSD (taken from my Dell laptop)
No CD/DVD drive (online stores is the way forward with a good internet connection)
2x ASUS HD5850 Radeon cards

In this baby. ;)

I really hope that You can sort it out for EU customers asap. :)
Hey bud if your gonna be downloading everything and stuff, are you gonna have an external drive? Or have like an extra hdd to store everything. Shouldnt fill up that ssd with nonsense.

Looks good to me!
Great!

That ain't nothing. :p
Well I'm just using this system for gaming, I like to game in good graphics - but I'm not overkilling it + I want it to be as portable as possible + hardware is a bit expensive. :rolleyes:

Hey bud if your gonna be downloading everything and stuff, are you gonna have an external drive? Or have like an extra hdd to store everything. Shouldnt fill up that ssd with nonsense.

I am aware of that, but just writing down what I want to fit inside - I have a Seagate 1TB BlackArmor drive with eSATA support so that fits my needs for data storage.

Current state of my Da Box build:
Rampage II Gene: on its way
12gb G-skill: on its way
2 480s: 1 here, 1 more soon
i7 980x: undecided
2x BIX II: here
Blocks: Buying sometime this week.
Custom front panel from Matt: No clue.

I'll get pics once my mom comes back from France and I have access to her camera again.

I love it how you attack someone for not having a powerful enough build, then bragging about your own.

Then you say that you have to wait for your mom to use her camera...

@ Zurginator , sabregen

Thanks for the info on fitting a PSU.

I'm in two minds now if to buy Da Box or stick with a Antec NSK-3480 as the fanless powersupply i bought has fixed leads..

I love it how you attack someone for not having a powerful enough build, then bragging about your own.

Then you say that you have to wait for your mom to use her camera...

It's called joking around. ;)

@ Zurginator , sabregen

Thanks for the info on fitting a PSU.

I'm in two minds now if to buy Da Box or stick with a Antec NSK-3480 as the fanless powersupply i bought has fixed leads..

If you don't need something this small, I really wouldn't recommend it. It's a total pain to do anything, everything is just packed in so tight.

Hi guys, has anyone tried sticking a 5970 toxic into the da box. it has an additional cooler so could not quite fit, but it looks on the photos like it may be possible. Any thoughts from those who have the case already?

the cooler on the Toxic is just extra thick, and will just take up your additional expansion slots on the motherboard. it doesn't look like the height of the cooler exceeds the height of the card, though... so as long as you're willing yo give up some of your expansion slots on the motherboard... go for it.

Actually, the Toxic probably won't fit. If you use a powerful enough PSU to power it, you can't fit the 5970 in the first slot due to it's length causing it to hit the PSU cables. The toxic is a 3 slot card, so if you put it in a second slot, it's gonna hit the side.

If you have a board with 1 PCIe slot that's not the top slot, however, it would work (probably).

Zurg's right... it's gonna be all about your slot config. you'll want (from right to left... or in other words from the center of the board out to the edge):

PCI or PCI-E other than the primary x16 slot
PCI-E x16 (primary slot... this is where the Toxic needs to go)
other slot (covered by Toxic cooler)
other slot (covered by Toxic cooler)

I sent an email to the guys over at Lan-Gear already but I have not received a response back yet (perfectly acceptable, I sent it late last night and it's still early). Anyway, my question is one that can likely be answered by any owner of this wonderful case.

Does the normal Blackheart (without window) come packaged with fans? Also, am I correct in assuming you receive the PSU extension that runs from the PSU to the plug in back?

Hoping to pull the trigger on this beauty before I head to bed (work nights... ugh).

So, any word on when the LanGear Carrying bag is going to be available?

One of the reasons I got the Da Box was for that bag.

If it's not yet in production, I have a suggestion. Please make your logo a LOT smaller. It looks really tacky and cheap to have the logo plastered over the entire side of the bag. It's a great looking bag, the logo would look a lot better 80-90% smaller. Logo on the side should be in the lower left or right corner. Logo on the top 80-90% smaller and centered.

Will look more sophisticated and stealthy that way.

-Ed

Last edited:
I sent an email to the guys over at Lan-Gear already but I have not received a response back yet (perfectly acceptable, I sent it late last night and it's still early). Anyway, my question is one that can likely be answered by any owner of this wonderful case.

Does the normal Blackheart (without window) come packaged with fans? Also, am I correct in assuming you receive the PSU extension that runs from the PSU to the plug in back?

Hoping to pull the trigger on this beauty before I head to bed (work nights... ugh).

Yes, it comes with 2 120mm fans and a 92mm fan. And yes the extension does that. :)

Could someone give me a rough estimate to how much I'll be paying to have this case shipped to ontario(Markham)? also, what are the chances of them having a sale(do they even?) anytime soon?

also, is it possible to fit two 5870s in this case in CF?

Could someone give me a rough estimate to how much I'll be paying to have this case shipped to ontario(Markham)? also, what are the chances of them having a sale(do they even?) anytime soon?

1: Can't help there.
2: Probably very unlikely
2: Entirely possible, just be careful on PSU selection. I have 2 480s in mine. You'll also wanna work on cooling.

I couldn't make it work. Others have had better success. The pic below is how it looked after the 3rd attempt. :p I finally sold my DA Box and got a bigger SFF that easily handled a 5870 CF setup.

IMG_1123.jpg

I couldn't make it work. Others have had better success. The pic below is how it looked after the 3rd attempt. :p I finally sold my DA Box and got a bigger SFF that easily handled a 5870 CF setup.

:D wow that surely looks like a mess!

I was looking at that one, but it's much too large for my plans of 480 sli on 2 240mm radiators. >_________>
Or I just felt like having an epic super-compact box. :)

We are working with a (well know) PSU supplier to get custom short cable to help for the mess. But yes, a crossfire of 5870 require careful cable management. Any crossfire set up for that matter.

UPDATE

By the way, got some news on the DA BOX bags. It looks like we are looking good for a release in mid August.

And the new hard drive cage that can be mounted over the GPU will be ordered tomorrow or early next week!

For the few of you interested, the BETA of the MINI ITX (gamer edition) starts next week.;)

We'll try to keep up the good work.:D

One last question for Mr. Wolf as i don't wish to sidetrack the thread off topic but isn't the Qmicra company disbanded and no longer trading ?

Hi everybody,

Just to give a regular update on DA BOX accessories.
To re confirm, the production of the bag is done. Now comes the cleaning and storage. Release date is still scheduled for mid to late August.
The new hard drive cage has been ordered.
new_hddcage2.jpg

As you can see, we modified the HDD fixation to be compatible with the rubber grommet + specialty screw (anti vibration system). We will try to ship the cage with a set of 8.
The HDD cage will be black anodized.
Release date is not scheduled yet but we it will take approximately 3 weeks to get the prototype done and approved and 3 more weeks to get production done.

I'll post picture of the first mount as soon as I get my hand on it!:p

My case arrived yesterday. After some initial pain and crushing of the USB/Audio module I have one major question... has any come up with a good technique for getting the cover on? It is seriously a pain. So much so that I'm a bit apprehensive to take the cover off.

Wiring wasn't *that* bad. I only have a HD5770 which helps but did install 2x 3.5" HDs and a DVD burner. Modular does help a lot but I think a normal PSU is possible if you have a shorter graphics card like the HD5770. In fact, besides the amount of time it takes the build went smooth (except for the cover and crushing part). It was very nice to use quality fan screws that didn't strip just as the sight of a screw driver.

Matt, you guys really need to start shipping the case with feet!

That's weird. My first case had the USB interference problem, but my latest case (just under a month old) does not have the problem. You may have received an older USB header. My new cover comes on/off alot easier than my first case. I don't know if that's due to improved design or just being used to the case. I do pull the bottom sides out just slightly as I'm putting the cover on and once the channels are in place, firmly push down so it's seated and then slide forward. If you're using thumbscrews on the slide-out mobo tray, they can interfere with the case screws, so I'll remove those first before putting the case cover back on (I actually leave them off now).

Matt, you guys really need to start shipping the case with feet!

We are working on getting those feet. It is so difficult to get them (the nice ones), we have been looking at various providers with not much success so far.
Otherwise, we might just get some nice pads and call it good.

Matt, any news on working front panel headers? Also just found out my reset button doesn't work (never had to use it lol)....

I have crushed my front panels headers for the USB ports on this last tear down. I tried bending them back (it's the outer flashing for the ports that got smashed in) and I'm sure it will function fine, but it's a major PITA now when I remove the lid, because it catches.

Back