New SFF gamers case: presentation and advices

I have noticed a few people asking how you could fit the Corsair H50. I would have to check, but I believe you might be able to attach the heatsink to the MB tray. With some modding, you could attach it to the side partial pannel (the one that supports the power supply).
This lead to my second question: what's the point of using the Corsair H50 when you can easily fit the COGAGE TRUE Spirit, which performs slightly better and is water/ water pump free?:confused:

What about putting the ports on top like how Lian-Li does it on some of their cases?

What about putting the ports on top like how Lian-Li does it on some of their cases?
On top, unless you put it along 1 side, is not possible because the 5.25" drive is 5mm away from the cover.
This is more what we were thinking of doing, not by choice but necessity (you'll notice that, in the first revision - the prototype, there were right on the front but we removed them for design purpose).
img9470.jpg

For the black interior paint. This has been debated before. Are you guys willing to spend $5 more?
Yes that will cost less than diy. And it will look great out of the box so we can just build with no modding.

On top, unless you put it along 1 side, is not possible because the 5.25" drive is 5mm away from the cover.
This is more what we were thinking of doing, not by choice but necessity (you'll notice that, in the first revision - the prototype, there were right on the front but we removed them for design purpose).
img9470.jpg
Is there any space under the psu? Maybe it can go on the very bottom of the front panel and the wires will also be easier to hide. All of them can just go under the psu if there is enough room.

Yes that will cost less than diy. And it will look great out of the box so we can just build with no modding.

+1

$5 is less than a can of spray paint and primer, so it's definitely worth it, plus then I dont have to spend time painting it, and time is money, as they say.

Is there any space under the psu? Maybe it can go on the very bottom of the front panel and the wires will also be easier to hide. All of them can just go under the psu if there is enough room.

No place at all under the PSU. The last placement was there. But once gain, you have the port on the front and we were trying to get the front of the case to look very clean.
We could always increase the length of the case to put the ports on the front, but is it really what you guys want?

No place at all under the PSU. The last placement was there. But once gain, you have the port on the front and we were trying to get the front of the case to look very clean.
We could always increase the length of the case to put the ports on the front, but is it really what you guys want?

for myself in a case i want as small as possible with a quality powersupply , video card and good cooling . i have built many cases and always have tried to improve them by making them smaller and better use of space inside them

Jen

mattinv, in response to your question about my psu port suggestion on the back:

Also, needs:

We tried to put the ports on the front cover, but neither the design nor the location was satisfying. So we went for the side. (There are quite a few limitations that are not visible in the renderings you see but that are linked to the space needed for the port and the lack of free space behind the front cover).
That could still change before the final release, but we'll wait to find a better solution/ hear a great suggestion.
PS: There is no place to put it along the 5.24" bay (either on the front or the top) because of the length of the module.

For the black interior paint. This has been debated before. Are you guys willing to spend $5 more?

I was referring to the u-panel, but I could live with it after your explanation of the more solid construction as the Q-Pack2's U panel is a PITA to get back on.

sorry didn't have time to read the thread, will get to it later. really like the case. a couple points:

- i really like the fan mount on the top, but i want to know if it will be removable?
- any chance on a windowless version? i'm not a big fan of windows...

All I can say is WOW! This is just what I might need to push me back into a M-ATX setup. I love the case and how efficient airflow is. I would love to see some real pics of the lastest rendering. One thing to add. The rear 120mm fan, will there be clearance for Corsairs H50 heatsink?

Vengance, I'm pretty sure the H50 fits on the rear 120mm fan, but why would you do that when you can fit a more efficient air cooler? Maybe somebody needs to explain me that need because I'm totally missing the point...:(
Stainremover: There is a version without a window, a bit cheaper. And yes, the bracket over the video card can be removed. But keep in mind you should be able to mount everything on the tray and just slide it in (except for the SLI bridge that you have to add later because it really sticks out).
render15.jpg

Last edited:
Thats all good,just wondering if there was any space or not. The size it is right now is great. And I also think the fan moved up and the power port between the bottom of the fan and the io plate would be nice, all the way on the left side so its next to the side panel so the cord doesnt get in the way, also feet would b a big plus! Maybe the feet could make enough clearence so that a power cord can go through the bottom of the case and straight to the psu so there is no like extender or anything. Could that be a possibility? And did you try to fit a h50 in the first prototype yet?

Vengance, I'm pretty sure the H50 fits on the rear 120mm fan, but why would you do that when you can fit a more efficient air cooler? Maybe somebody needs to explain me that need because I'm totally missing the point.

Lighter weight?

Vengance, I'm pretty sure the H50 fits on the rear 120mm fan, but why would you do that when you can fit a more efficient air cooler? Maybe somebody needs to explain me that need because I'm totally missing the point...:(
Stainremover: There is a version without a window, a bit cheaper. And yes, the bracket over the video card can be removed. But keep in mind you should be able to mount everything on the tray and just slide it in (except for the SLI bridge that you have to add later because it really sticks out).
render15.jpg
The H50 would be sick if it was 50 bucks max, it has the potential to be quieter and it still does good. And more room for a big heatsink on the nb. But that might just be me.

Lighter weight?
Thank you, make sense. But are you sure about that? Because a heatsink + liquid + pump lighter than a heasink by itself... I'd be curious to compare the weight of the H50 with the COGAGE TRUE Spirit.
More room for the NB, also makes sense. Especially with the MB I used for the first proto, the heatsink of the NB is clearly not compatible with every high end heatsink.
Less noise, possible. Will have to check that. There is a good article I found earlier on Tomshardware.com that compare the H50 with the True Spirit.

PS: for the ones who asked me about the Mini ITX project, we have 1 version with an ATX power supply, which is, right now, 10% smaller in volume than the SG05. At this point, we have to spend a lot of time on the design of the case (we would like to smooth our lines compared to what's out there;)). This version also allows for heatsink up to 136mm high!!!:D:cool: I can't give any more details, but when we get the first prototype out, we will post on this forum.

Last edited:
Thank you, make sense. But are you sure about that? Because a heatsink + liquid + pump lighter than a heasink by itself... I'd be curious to compare the weight of the H50 with the COGAGE TRUE Spirit.
More room for the NB, also makes sense. Especially with the MB I used for the first proto, the heatsink of the NB is clearly not compatible with every high end heatsink.
Less noise, possible. Will have to check that. There is a good article I found earlier on Tomshardware.com that compare the H50 with the True Spirit.

PS: for the ones who asked me about the Mini ITX project, we have 1 version with an ATX power supply, which is, right now, 10% smaller in volume than the SG05. At this point, we have to spend a lot of time on the design of the case (we would like to smooth our lines compared to what's out there;)). This version also allows for heatsink up to 136mm high!!!:D:cool: I can't give any more details, but when we get the first prototype out, we will post on this forum.

I love how your company is interacting with the actual potential customers for our input! It just makes whatever case you are designing in the future, and currently, much more awesome!

NIce design, I like the removable motherboard tray.

I have noticed a few people asking how you could fit the Corsair H50. I would have to check, but I believe you might be able to attach the heatsink to the MB tray. With some modding, you could attach it to the side partial pannel (the one that supports the power supply).
This lead to my second question: what's the point of using the Corsair H50 when you can easily fit the COGAGE TRUE Spirit, which performs slightly better and is water/ water pump free?:confused:

Well, the reason some of us are asking about the H50 is because, as you probably already know, that the SFF users are having a harder time using the newer quads and dealing with cooling issues especially when overclocking. SFF cases only have so much cooling performance to begin with due to their size.The H50 seems to be a fix for some SFF cases with limited cooling. So thats why you are seeing H50 questions. However, if your new case allows for hsf of sufficient size to forgo needing the H50 then so much the better.

You'll probably still get questions about the H50 though. Its caught the attention of the SFF crowd recently. :)

Thank you for the clarification regarding the H50.
But keep in mind that you can pretty much fit any after market cooler available in this particular HFF case. I put a lot of work to make sure of that:).
I'm hearing from various sources that water cooling is slowly disappearing due to the performance of the latest heatsinks. What do you guys think? Is this true?

We might have a silver one. And if we do, it will be cheaper, no doubt. Black anodize finish and interior black paint add a lot to the price!

Hi everybody,

We are seeking your help to find a name for this Micro ATX case.
As a reward, the person that will provide the final name will receive a 30% discount on the case if he/she would like to purchase it.
So fill free to throw as many ideas as you'd like out there!!:D
At this point, the name we picked for the company is: Lan Gear (LG).:p

Last edited:
Thank you for the clarification regarding the H50.
But keep in mind that you can pretty much fit any after market cooler available in this particular HFF case. I put a lot of work to make sure of that:).
I'm hearing from various sources that water cooling is slowly disappearing due to the performance of the latest heatsinks. What do you guys think? Is this true?

We might have a silver one. And if we do, it will be cheaper, no doubt. Black anodize finish and interior black paint add a lot to the price!

I like silver cases too. Silverstone for example has some nice silver cases. I love the look of their silver SG03. As far as watercooling goes I've never tried it to be honest. The thought of water and electrical devices? Scares me silly. :eek: I much prefer air cooling. I dont know about problems about watercooling and latest heatsinks but I do know from reading their posts many watercooling purists poo-poo the H50 and its design. They feel its inferior and a poor substitute for full water cooling setups. Hence the reason why I think the SFF crowd will use it more than the ATX crowd. Its hybrid design fits SFF needs better than ATX users needs. Unfortunately it will only work well with certain SFF case designs. Just my opinion anyway. But a SFF case that can use any size hsf? It screams winner! if you ask me. :D

Hi everybody,

We are seeking your help to find a name for this Micro ATX case.
As a reward, the person that will provide the final name will receive a 30% discount on the case if he/she would like to purchase it.
So fill free to throw as many ideas as you'd like out there!!:D

Whats the name of your company? That might help us come up with a good name for it.

I think you should call it Massive Overkill :D My experience with water cooling SFF is that 120mm radiator isn't enough to cool both GPU and CPU, and this was when I was cooling an AMD dual core and an X1800TX. It may be enough to cool either component, better than air cooling, but not much.

You really need a 2x120mm rad to effectively cool today's components. I can fit one internally in my MicroFly, and if I ever get enough leisure time I just may do it. Another thing I learned is that blowing the hot air from your rad inside your case heats up the other components too much, at least with all the configurations I've tried.

Call it Massive Overkill Mobile. Then you can make a corny slogan like "Bring your MOM with you to your LAN party"

Keep going with the names!
Love your humour!:D
For the Massive Overkill Mobile:p, you have 2 120mm fan standard, and 2 92mm + 1 60mm in option.

Lan Gear Lanbox would be one good name suggestion but I imagine Tt will have something to say about using 'Lanbox'. Maybe something like 'Lan Gear SFF Case or Cube'? Could be something as simple as the LG1 or LG01 and then you can just add numbers if and when you add more case designs. Just some early random thoughts. :)

Just see how this would sound, Lan Gear presents................................ DA BOX! Maybe a v.1 on there or something?

I think you should call it Massive Overkill :D My experience with water cooling SFF is that 120mm radiator isn't enough to cool both GPU and CPU, and this was when I was cooling an AMD dual core and an X1800TX. It may be enough to cool either component, better than air cooling, but not much.

You really need a 2x120mm rad to effectively cool today's components. I can fit one internally in my MicroFly, and if I ever get enough leisure time I just may do it. Another thing I learned is that blowing the hot air from your rad inside your case heats up the other components too much, at least with all the configurations I've tried.

Yeah, that's what's nice about the H50 - it's radiator can fit 2x 120mm fans, and it's designed to solely cool the CPU.

In a week or so I'll be assembling my Rogue, and I decided to go with the H50. Bought two Scythe Ultra Kaze fans for the radiator :D.

But anyway, in regards to the H50 fitting: it's simply a nice, additional option for there to be a spot to mount the 120mm radiator in the case. Air coolers are great and all, and the top-end air coolers are generally equal to the H50. But at the same time, performance SFFs tend to be decked with fans, and all of that often adds up to a loud system. The H50 basically eliminates that additional component, so why not use it? As others have mentioned, it's probably not going to be a major factor with ATX systems, but it is nice for mATX.

I just wanted to add that we are having a bag custom design for this case (designed in Italy by an Italian designer). It will come as an option but that might be of interest for some of you.
Keep suggesting names for the case!:D

im worried about the psu recirculating hot air inside the case. the hdd fan has to be exhaust and the psu vent must be isolated to prevent hot air going back in the case..

WOW, very nice looking SFF case!

I have always liked the Lian Li styling of their V1000 cases with the rounded edges and brushed aluminum (but dislike their boxey SFF cases).

You guys have nailed the styling and internal layout to allow for optimal cooling - I'm very interested to see the final product and may have to add another mATX case to my collection! LOL

Nice to see a vendor interacting with the forums to influence the design - similar to how PCDLabs did a while back!

Call it the Lan Gear Deception, cause it looks pretty low key, but can pack a lot of hardware.

Then when you get your ITX case rolled out, you can call it the Phantasm, and pretty much any of the 4 definitions would work for marketing.

Dictionary.com said:
Phantasm
–noun
1. an apparition or specter.
2. a creation of the imagination or fancy; fantasy.
3. a mental image or representation of a real object.
4. an illusory likeness of something.

Though I will admit, I like the elegance of simply calling it Da Box, too, lol.

Back