New SFF gamer case: Mini ITX

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i applied for the beta testing and i have my fingers crossed. But i have been staring at the pictures on here and sffclub to figure out what heatsinks will fit in it. So the PSU used in the pictures is 165mm long. Mattinv has said that they are planing on moving the psu 1/4in by extending the case?? So if my research is correct is i use a SST-ST65EF which is 25mm shorter and moving the psu 6mm back would give 31mm more room than in the Pics. That would be enough room to fit a tower cooler like NH-U9B SE2 or HDT-SD964W. I am not a fan of putting water where air can do the job. So if i am lucky to get picked for the beta my parts list should look like this

Case: DUH
CPU: I7 860
Motherboard: DFI P55 MI-T36
Ram: Undecided
VideoCard: 5970 or 5870 with custom cooler
Storage: 2 Intel 80GB SSD's
2TB Something
DVD: USB converted Slot load
PSU: SST-ST65EF
CPU Cooler: Above listed coolers Or AXP-140, NH-C12Pwhatever large Cooler i can fit :)

Tyler

the sff subforum seems to be rife with people complaining about that DFI board. I've owned several DFIs, including two identical P45 Jrs, one of which is my current board. Good boards, but can be picky in some cases. I'm considering the Gigabyte P55 board for my build. That DFI is no longer manufacturing desktop boards kind of put me off to buying new revisions of their products. Too bad, too.

the sff subforum seems to be rife with people complaining about that DFI board. I've owned several DFIs, including two identical P45 Jrs, one of which is my current board. Good boards, but can be picky in some cases. I'm considering the Gigabyte P55 board for my build. That DFI is no longer manufacturing desktop boards kind of put me off to buying new revisions of their products. Too bad, too.

Yea i heard that rumor too but the dfi is the only 1156 board that will do raid and a quad that i know of. The Gigabyte board looks really nice but moving that socket closer to the PSU in this care will result in less room for a oversized heatsink

Other names:

Da Mini

Lan-Gear Mini

Start posting those pictures so I can plan my build.

I think there's some merit in keeping part of the name common across the products ;) ... the choice of "Da Box" for the mATX box is not extremely conducive to that ... but if there's no appetite to rename "Da Box", then the mini-ITX case can, perhaps be "Da Box mini"

Yea i heard that rumor too but the dfi is the only 1156 board that will do raid and a quad that i know of. The Gigabyte board looks really nice but moving that socket closer to the PSU in this care will result in less room for a oversized heatsink

What!? The gigabyte board won't do raid? Or the quad? Either way, looks like I need to research my board choice more. I will require both.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

The gigabyte board doesn't do raid, but accepts quads. If you want a iTX that does RAID, Intel offers a solution.

My understanding from following this thread from the very beginning is that is that the final case will be different from what's shown in the pictures on the 1st page. In particular, the PSU is not going to overhang the mobo ... there are also, perhaps, shorter PSUs, so AXP-140 might still work (and I'm sure there are other "oversize" heatsinks of slightly smaller variety)
But...have you seen the pics of this case at all...the axp-140 sits right overtop of the ram and would hit the PSU for sure in this case with the h55n-usb socket location

What!? The gigabyte board won't do raid? Or the quad? Either way, looks like I need to research my board choice more. I will require both.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

No solution for you, the H55 chipset doesn't do RAID. The P55 board would do fine though.

Your choices:
- Intel DH57JG (won't accept an HT enabled quad)
- DFi MI P55-T36

Yeah -- i looked at all the alternatives and ended up getting the T36, just because it can deal with the 875k and do raid.

It is going to be an interesting engineering adventure to try and figure out a way to run a heatpipe to the vrms/mofsets on the back of the board!

I'm doing software RAID10 (probably even better than Intel RAID, as I can take it to another mobo w/o an issue) on Zotac H55 ;)
SDC13967.JPG

The BETA is officially closed.
We wanted to thank you for your participation, which exceeded our expectation.
The selected BETA tester will receive an email this week.

The case were still being silk screen Friday (it took a few day longer than planned) and are now scheduled to ship Tuesday. That puts us behind 3 days for the BETA. We will use this time to include a few more parts with the case.

Here are the final specifications:

Here are some specs:

Type Mini ATX desktop
Case Material 2mm Aluminium Chassis, 2mm Aluminium Cover
Power Support Full ATX (Not included)
Motherboard Compatiblity Mini ITX
Side Panel Window none
External slim bay 1
Internal 3.5" Drive Bays 1
Internal 2.5" Drive Bays 2
Expansion Slots 2
120mm Fans 2 x 120mm side Fans (See Model Description)
92 mm Fans 2 x 80mm rear fans
Dimensions 12.24" (L) x 9.29" (W) x 6.09" (H)
Weight 5 lbs
Available color
Black (glossy paint) chassis
Cover: white, red.

Equipment:
Compatible H50
Support 5970
2 x 2.5" HDD/ SSD
1 x 3.5" HDD
1 slim drive
Manufacturer Warranty 1 year

mattinv...thanks for the update on the specs.

everyone commenting on the board issue... if I stay with the Q6600 (because I don't seem to be having luck selling it, yet) then I'll have an easier time picking the board. If I go i7 860 then I'll need the DFI, which is interesting because my Da Box gaming build was on the P45 Jr. I'm sad to see DFI leave this space, considering they were my preference on the last build, and the only company doing solutions like this.

sabregen -- sad to have to pick a board you know has issues, but that's part of the engineering fun :) -- i just hope that the back of my board doesn't go "pop"!

As far as I could find out, said DFI MI P55-T36 is the only mITX board that's really fit for use in an enthusiast gaming rig.

I searched through as many benchmarks as I could possibly find, and this was the one only mITX board, that totally could keep up with it's big brethren in any discipline except overclocking. All others seem to fall behind in terms of speed...

Overclocking performance is sub-par compared to ATX and mATX boards, but still better than any other mITX in existence... From what I found out, you have to be extremely careful not to blow up the MOSFETs... So I think I'll pass on that...

im gunna put some enzotech C1's heatsinks on the mosfets.. figuring out what to do with the underbelly is the challenge

mattinv... can we get a list of the [H]'ers that we can expect to see with the beta chassis, so we know who will be providing updates on the new product?

mattinv... can we get a list of the [H]'ers that we can expect to see with the beta chassis, so we know who will be providing updates on the new product?

yes would like to know myself in this sent i sent email about this awhile back

Jen

If they want to share with the rest of us they will...

Im not in the beta but if I was, I wouldn't want that information posted here so people start spamming me.

If they want to share with the rest of us they will...

Im not in the beta but if I was, I wouldn't want that information posted here so people start spamming me.

well that's one point of view, and I understand what you're saying. I'm just wondering who's in so that I can see what they previously said about their ideas for the build, so that I can go back and review them to get some ideas for when I get mine. besides, the mods won't stand for people spamming other forum members about this kind of thing, if it did become a problem. however, I would bet that most of the folks that would be included in the beta would probably welcome the opportunity to share their input, which I would imagine, would be part of the reason that Lan-Gear would have selected them to participate, in the first place. Just my $.02

Nutshell... thats a good one.

Sabregen: I see what you're getting at. Im as anxious as you to get my new build going...

SMALL UPDATE

Good news! The rubber grommets and screws will be included in the BETA. So you will be able to see how much vibration are removed this way.
The mini ITX cases shipped yesterday. At least, this is the information I got.
Making progress!:p

Hi Sabregen,

I will look into it. Not everybody let me know what their [H]'ers are :D.

Maybe we should start a thread for the Beta testers to post pictures?

Last edited:
Maybe it has been addressed already but.. would there be expected issues with the heatsink and PSU with a motherboard like the Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3? The Gigabyte board has the CPU socket rather close to the PCIe slot, instead of in the corner. I'm not a fan of that design decision but I would have no plans for overclocking and have had poor experiences with DFI boards.

As far as I could find out, said DFI MI P55-T36 is the only mITX board that's really fit for use in an enthusiast gaming rig.

I searched through as many benchmarks as I could possibly find, and this was the one only mITX board, that totally could keep up with it's big brethren in any discipline except overclocking. All others seem to fall behind in terms of speed...

Overclocking performance is sub-par compared to ATX and mATX boards, but still better than any other mITX in existence... From what I found out, you have to be extremely careful not to blow up the MOSFETs... So I think I'll pass on that...

h55-usb3 oc @ 4.5ghz with 661 shown by techgage, that's more than enough oc for most of us, if you can manage to cool it in an itx case that is.

where are you guys getting your DFI P55 MI-T36?

Not to ruin anyone's fun, but from what i've read dfi is no longer producing the t36.
I still love mine, running fine on 150bclk for past 6mths =)

h55-usb3 oc @ 4.5ghz with 661 shown by techgage, that's more than enough oc for most of us, if you can manage to cool it in an itx case that is.
If there is a compact mini ITX that can do it, it would be this one! I can't wait to get the first results.:D

Not to ruin anyone's fun, but from what i've read dfi is no longer producing the t36.
I still love mine, running fine on 150bclk for past 6mths =)

I love mine too.... really too bad:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back