New SFF gamer case: Mini ITX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious who is supposedly updating the French? And why only the French? Just seems weird. :confused:

Edit: And if Matt went out of business, which is what I been thinking has happened, couldn't someone just take his design and use it? I know there are copy right laws and all that but I'm wondering if he even bothered filing a patent. Just some random thoughts.

For the record, I am not affiliated to Lan-gear by any mean. I'm just another guy waiting for this case for a very longgggg time.

It's been so long time since we heard from Matt so I decided to read from somewhere and share here that's all.

If i am not mistaken, olivarius is lan gear representative in EU forum (similar to Matt who supposed to give us update)

I'm curious who is supposedly updating the French? And why only the French? Just seems weird. :confused:

Edit: And if Matt went out of business, which is what I been thinking has happened, couldn't someone just take his design and use it? I know there are copy right laws and all that but I'm wondering if he even bothered filing a patent. Just some random thoughts.

Just to point out "patent" and "copyright" are two different things. I don't think "copyright" is what you file for, I think in many cases (e.g., arts / photography) you automatically own it if you're the author of the original work.

For the record, I am not affiliated to Lan-gear by any mean. I'm just another guy waiting for this case for a very longgggg time.

It's been so long time since we heard from Matt so I decided to read from somewhere and share here that's all.

If i am not mistaken, olivarius is lan gear representative in EU forum (similar to Matt who supposed to give us update)

can you ask him what's going on with Matt?

No prob mates, It's been posted.

EDIT : got his reply . This is what he said

olivarius_​fr on 05-21-2011

"We have receive the last prototype. We will launch the production in two weeks. And as our production is in the USA, you are lucky you will have the case before the Europe ;) "

Last edited:

"We have receive the last prototype. We will launch the production in two weeks. And as our production is in the USA, you are lucky you will have the case before the Europe ;) "

So still not a word with what happened to Matt? lol...

hopefully the dude didn't David Carradine himself in the company offices!

I've been waiting for this case for quite some time. I'm a little miffed by this. I'm not saying langear is here to rip anyone off but it's been months since Matt's last update in this thread?

Kyle so quickly put a stop to Dave from PCDLabs when he started his thread here cause he was believed to be a scammer but he's still producing and selling cases to this day. This has been allowed to go on though with no updates or anything. :confused:

Hopefully we get some info soon, cause I'll still buy one.

So a week from now they will begin making these? What does that mean for sales, another couple weeks after that? There aren't any Z68 mITX boards out yet, so I'm not in any particular rush, just wondering what his message means.

olivarius_​fr on 05-28-2011

"I will get the final proto on Tuesday. So lots of news in the course of next week ;)"
&
"The U.S. site has been hacked. Nothing too serious but I must repair ..."

I'll believe it when i see it...This is not the first time when they said they'll show some pictures "in the coming days" and then silence.

What's the whole story behind PCDLabs (QMicra) and Dave anyway?

A few years ago Dave started up a small company that builds SFF case for modders. He started with an idea. A good one, and went with that. His idea filled a niche in the market that hadn't yet been fully tapped. A quality SFF case designed for modders in mind. He posted here in the beginning but he was asked to stop hyping his case I guess due to forum rules. Anyway the Qmicra was born and the rest is as they say is history. He still pops into this section from time to time.

He does the design work, hired the company to build the cases (In NY State if I remember correctly), answers the phones, emails, forums message boards, and puts the cases together himself at his place of business. A one man operation basically. He did have someone helping him put the cases together I believe. I remember him saying he had a helper in that part of the job at one point. Matt's story parallels Dave's in some ways. Dave became a success though. Matt's success is still undetermined.

I'm beyond being angry about the communication. Now I'm just frustrated I paid for a beta case that, from what I understand of the final, was barely modified. I honestly don't know why we don't at least have pictures if the final version is in-hand.

From Olivarious

d612e618-982b-49b1-8cda-5d73041a0ec7.jpg

PSU Bracket
1296275a-8836-471f-9da8-cb3e074a6732.jpg

Top view
29e59435-920f-420a-a859-0c236534867a.jpg

ebbc6ed6-e777-4a63-b411-6927c9d10195.jpg

b3b8da89-634a-4399-b236-d85042d8a774.jpg

ab62a1b6-2639-40f0-ab9d-61c1d921bd2a.jpg

8fbe9a26-d475-4bd5-8462-25d3be1182a2.jpg

9e62df1c-2432-4ca9-980f-0d52f65663f1.jpg

Finally some pictures. Is it just me or does it seem like the HDD's/SSD's would have a pretty hard time breathing under the PSU like that?

What PSU is that? Would love to know what options we have in the PSU category. Also wondering what would be the bast air cooler in there and if the new H80 and H100 would fit anywhere.

Still, pics is always something....

With the exception of the removal of the rear fan grills, everything else seems the same. I was hoping for the brushed alu look, not the glossy black paint.

looks like there were some cost-saving measures for the production case:
- no fan grilles as DG25 pointed out
- power button and reset button brackets are part of the side frames (instead of additional pieces)
- no "guard" piece over expansion slot screw points (though, might just not be shown)

As for reported issues, looks like some comments were not included in revisions (I know I mentioned that the power button placement was an issue for 5970 power plugs) while some were (screw points for expansion cards looks redesigned, case looks slightly wider and longer which may allow a slim 2x120 radiator?). The really unfortunate thing is that now that this has taken so long, the length of the 5970 is irrelevant, it's now the 6990 driving the requirement (and the massive heat production out of the front of the stock hsf on that guy).

Yeah, that rear is looking ugly now. Like Angelina Jolie's ass, all boney and flat.

Basically it looks like if you need a beefy powersupply (600W+) and not just 500W...you would sacrifice some potential heatsink space.

Although I have seen some very compact (700W+) powersupplies, but they are not modular, so that would mean cable management being a hassle unless if you have the ability to cut,shorten, and wrap the cables again (I do not :( )

Corsair makes modular power supplies in the 500w & 600w category so that would work inside it.

So...it's been two weeks now...where is the launch of the production (unless if the pictures were it) and supposedly the USA gets it before europe...but the US website just redirects to the european one...

nm it is still the prototype...

http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/3...ign-v2-21-10?p=4352501&viewfull=1#post4352501

according to that the dimensions are: 310x230x160 mm max PSU size is 150-160mm if you want to have some CPU heatsink clearance, although I imagine it should be shorter for modular, the one pictured is 140mm long and it just fits,not to mention the plug orientationis quite good. in the pictures he is also using the optional silverstone short modular cable kit, which makes it easier for cable routing. I'm not too sure what other silverstone modular PSUs will fit, or if there are any other modular PSUs that have short cables. They also have antivibration for the hard drives,

No ETA on production.

Last edited:
Corsair makes modular power supplies in the 500w & 600w category so that would work inside it.

The only modular one I could find that *might* work is the 650W

http://www.corsair.com/power-supplies/modular-psus/professional-series-1/hx650w.html

but it's 150mm so 1cm longer than the one in the picture, as well the placement of the modular plugs might not even work if there is a tall cpu heatsink.

Thermaltake has some very compact 700/800W powersupplies but non modular, I'd hate to see where the cables go :(

Still the amount the case can hold is very impressive considering it is just slightly larger than an SG05 and smaller than an SG07. I even think a HD6990 will *just* fit.

Last edited:
Haha... just read the French forum post. Alot of merci baguette and ventirad bonjour! Oui, oui!

Afaik, there are very few 140mm that are modular which is pretty amazing. I've seen a few 150 from competitors to Silverstonetek but yeah, 140mm is HUGE for this case. I agree however that I would love to get at least 650W for my current system and potential upgrade of GPU.

Damn these picture just sucked me in again. We'll see if I'll throw my SG07 in the trash for this if it ever gets released. I can't stand the front of the SG07 and SG05 requires to much hacking and slashing to get everything to work properly. Although I fear I will have to drill or saw some on this one too if I go for a 6990 or 580 to let some air in.

The only modular one I could find that *might* work is the 650W

http://www.corsair.com/power-supplies/modular-psus/professional-series-1/hx650w.html

but it's 150mm so 1cm longer than the one in the picture, as well the placement of the modular plugs might not even work if there is a tall cpu heatsink.

Thermaltake has some very compact 700/800W powersupplies but non modular, I'd hate to see where the cables go :(

Still the amount the case can hold is very impressive considering it is just slightly larger than an SG05 and smaller than an SG07. I even think a HD6990 will *just* fit.

Yes, the HX models are modular and the TX are not. Corsair has a HX520w and a HX620w or did. Looks like those two have been discontinued it seems and replaced by the HX650w. There is the AX620 which is modular as well. Odd that Corsair would stop making a modular unit in the 500w range. Their 520w sold so well.

I can't stand the front of the SG07

SG08 was just shown at Computex 201, it is the same case as SG07 but with a nice aluminum face plate. You could try contacting Silverstone to see if they will sell the face plate seperately.

Thanks Crimson, looks a lot better. Still not perfect but way better than before.

Seasonic M12II Bronze (576/620w) & Enermax Modu82+ (600/625w) both are 14 cm deep and modular.

This "thing" would be perfect for this case.Its 123mm deep , 700w (600 on 12V) , but it is impossible to find unless you live in Japan.

http://www.computextaipei.com.tw/en_US/product/info.html?id=01F15BE2F9113B5D9D6F5BA1C3462214

[edit] nevermind, don't want... my nexus compact does 50A on 12v rail (single rail wheeras this appears dual rail) and I have almost no need for 3.3 or 5v :p[/edit]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back