New Senate Bill Includes Jail Time for Executives Who Conceal Data Breaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
In the it's about time department, Senate Democrats have submitted a bill that will provide for jail time for executives that conceal data breaches. Maybe with something like this in force these big companies might actually take cybersecurity seriously and protect our private data to the best extent possible. Let's get this on the floor for a vote! Check out the bill here.

In a statement, Nelson said a nationwide law was necessary to safeguard consumer data and protect it from being stolen from hackers. “Congress can either take action now to pass this long overdue bill or continue to kowtow to special interests who stand in the way of this commonsense proposal. When it comes to doing what’s best for consumers, the choice is clear,” he said.

Standard Democrat MO: propose something everybody wants when you're NOT in power because you know it won't pass

If that's the "Democrats MO" then I guess the Republican'ts MO is to make the rich even richer while screwing over the lower and middle classes while also bitching and throwing temper tantrums when they don't get their way.

We do.

Just this site isn't political enough to make a thread turn to geekiness.

We do.

Just this site isn't political enough to make a thread turn to geekiness.

Not political enough? If it was more political, wouldn't discussions just get more and more political, not get more geeky? Wouldn't you want more geekiness to guide conversations to geekdom?

I like to have my political threads sprinkled with geekiness Twitter feeds.

Makes me feel hip and in the know.

Republitard MO: undo everything the Democrats do manage to pass out of spite

Now, which is better for society in general?

"tard". Isn't that precious. A snowflake Social Justice Warrior who'd feint at the slightest insensitivity, cultural appropriation, or failure to use the correct gender pronoun as determined by the gender fluid individual casually throws out a slur against the disabled.

Here you go, a Demonstration of Democrat's sincerity and expertise in data protection:

In June 2015, the United States Office of Personnel Management (OPM) announced that it had been the target of a data breach targeting the records of as many as four million people.[1] Later, FBI Director James Comey put the number at 18 million.[2] The data breach, which had started in March 2014 or earlier, was noticed by the OPM in April 2015.[1][3] It has been described by federal officials as among the largest breaches of government data in the history of the United States.[1] Information targeted in the breach included personally identifiable information such as Social Security numbers,[4] as well as names, dates and places of birth, and addresses.[5] The hack went deeper than initially believed and likely involved theft of detailed security-clearance-related background information.

On July 9, 2015, the estimate of the number of stolen records had increased to 21.5 million. This included records of people who had undergone background checks, but who were not necessarily current or former government employees.[6] Soon after, Katherine Archuleta, the director of OPM, and former National Political Director for Barack Obama's 2012 reelection campaign, resigned.

If everyone wants it, the Republicans will have no problem approving this right?
Okay, excuse me. Everyone except big money interests. That should automatically tank it in congress. My point was you see stuff like this that people would genuinely want only when they're OUT of power. When they're IN power, suddenly it's all compromise if not outright silence.

Doesn't SOX make it mandatory to report data breaches? Does this just increase the penalty or make it for public & private entities? I can't read the bill (Scribd is blocked) to check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back