New Seiki 4k displays (HDMI 2.0) 2014 Q2 (55/58/65/85 inch)

For those of you who haven't heard it looks like seiki announced the newer models that should have upgraded electronics/hdmi 2.0.

Link to the story:
http://www.itnewsonline.com/showprnstory.php?storyid=304428

The new Seiki Pro 4K models will be available in Q2 2014 at an MSRP of $1,299 for the 55-inch class model (SE55UY06), $1,599 for the 58-inch class model (SE58UY06), $2,199 for the 65-inch class model (SE65UY06), and $7,999 for the 85-inch class model (SE85UY06).

Those are some damn low MSRP's. Makes me wonder what they will really go for when seiki's sell for like 1/2 their MSRP.

I wonder if these will be 60Hz, I'm looking to get a new TV, that 65 sure sounds interesting if so.

No new 39" Model though. That's quite a disappointment. I've been holding out for 60hz version of their 39" as a new monitor.

A 65" UHDTV for $2200 USD. That's within shooting distance (if on the fringe) of 65" HDTV prices now, though that still brings us back to the content bugaboo; how many 4K nature shorts on a USB drive can you watch before you lose your mind? (Sony's media player is brand-locked, their announced content delivery service is still pending, and nobody else has one yet.)

Would be amazing if Sieki offered some form of upgrade module thing for the 39 inchers to get HDMI 2.0.

A 65" UHDTV for $2200 USD. That's within shooting distance (if on the fringe) of 65" HDTV prices now, though that still brings us back to the content bugaboo; how many 4K nature shorts on a USB drive can you watch before you lose your mind? (Sony's media player is brand-locked, their announced content delivery service is still pending, and nobody else has one yet.)

Speaking as someone who owns a 4K monitor, seriously there's no point in this technology for video. Everyone is sitting way too far away. I have to get up really close to my 4K monitor to distinguish 1080p from 4K, and even then, IMO it's a marginal image quality benefit compared to buying a plasma instead of a LCD which all have terrible black levels(except for the Sharp Elite).

Anyone who "upgrades" from an average 1080p TV to a Seiki of this type for watching TV/movies is gonna be disappointed even when content is available. OLED is the true upgrade, but unfortunately it's not even close to ready for the average consumer or even the high-end consumer's price range...so manufacturers are selling this snake oil instead.

4K for video really is snake oil as far as I'm concerned.

(Using it as a PC monitor is another story entirely, and it's very valuable there)

True, though you do need to factor in how big the TV is, and how close you're sitting to it. 1080p looked downright fuzzy compared to 4k when I'm veiwing it at the Sony store. Though this was an 85" vewing it from about 4'. Haha

Speaking as someone who owns a 4K monitor, seriously there's no point in this technology for video. Everyone is sitting way too far away. I have to get up really close to my 4K monitor to distinguish 1080p from 4K, and even then, IMO it's a marginal image quality benefit compared to buying a plasma instead of a LCD which all have terrible black levels(except for the Sharp Elite).

Anyone who "upgrades" from an average 1080p TV to a Seiki of this type for watching TV/movies is gonna be disappointed even when content is available. OLED is the true upgrade, but unfortunately it's not even close to ready for the average consumer or even the high-end consumer's price range...so manufacturers are selling this snake oil instead.

(Using it as a PC monitor is another story entirely, and it's very valuable there)

I don't agree that 4k is snake oil. As TV's increase in size, 4k will be relevant to image quality.

And speaking from someone who has owned 4k displays since 2005 I have to disagree. Some of us actually have good vision who can see pixelation in aliased text and read it at the smalest renderable size from a 22 4k display from 3-4 feet away. From a 50 inch 4k display the difference is very noticable to me at 6-7 feet and still noticable (but not like WOW noticable) from 11-12 feet away. That is a tiny 50 inch display.... I am normally about 7 feet from my display so it works fine for me. Not everyone is really super far away from their mediocre sized tv's either...

I have an important question: Where are you obtaining 4K blu-rays from?
Last time I checked they don't exist yet. Hell, some movies are still using 2K CGI to cut costs. :D

I have an important question: Where are you obtaining 4K blu-rays from?
Last time I checked they don't exist yet. Hell, some movies are still using 2K CGI to cut costs. :D

I am doing my comparosin by using real 4k clips (that 40 mbps+ h264, not the crap that is on youtube that is so overly compressed it makes the 4k worthless) and scaling them down to 1080p using mplayer and comparing watching the same clip (that are only a few minutes) at both native 4k and downscaled to 1080p and there is a huge difference for me.

I don't agree that 4k is snake oil. As TV's increase in size, 4k will be relevant to image quality.

Sure, in theory. Some day in the future. At 50-70 inch TVs(which is still going to be the most common size category for at least 3-5 more years) it's a negligible change in image quality. The problem is that 4K is not just an isolated upgrade. It's unlikely anyone will develop 4K plasma displays(though I'd love to be proven wrong, this is why Panasonic killed their plasma production), so what it actually means is buying LCD TVs from now on until OLED is available.

4K 50-70 inch LCDs are straight downgrades from currently available 1080p plasmas, thus why 4K is snake oil, because manufacturers are literally expecting customers to buy expensive TVs that are worse than those currently available for $1000! It doesn't make any sense.

When 4K OLEDs are <$5,000 @ 70 inches, then yes I'll agree that 4K is a legitimate upgrade.

From a 50 inch 4k display the difference is very noticable to me at 6-7 feet and still noticable (but not like WOW noticable) from 11-12 feet away.

Yeah, I'm aware of your opinions on the matter, but you must be aware that most people don't notice the things you do. Also, I'd totally be with you if we were talking about 4K OLED displays... but we are talking about Seiki LCDs here. You can add as many pixels as you would like and I still think a TC-P65ST60 would look better. Maybe if we are talking Sharp Elite-level LCDs, but high density local dimming backlit TVs tend to be really really expensive.

Sure, in theory. Some day in the future. At 50-70 inch TVs(which is still going to be the most common size category for at least 3-5 more years) it's a negligible change in image quality. The problem is that 4K is not just an isolated upgrade. It's unlikely anyone will develop 4K plasma displays(though I'd love to be proven wrong, this is why Panasonic killed their plasma production), so what it actually means is buying LCD TVs from now on until OLED is available.

4K 50-70 inch LCDs are straight downgrades from currently available 1080p plasmas, thus why 4K is snake oil, because manufacturers are literally expecting customers to buy expensive TVs that are worse than those currently available for $1000! It doesn't make any sense.

When 4K OLEDs are <$5,000 @ 70 inches, then yes I'll agree that 4K is a legitimate upgrade.

Yeah, I'm aware of your opinions on the matter, but you must be aware that most people don't notice the things you do. Also, I'd totally be with you if we were talking about 4K OLED displays... but we are talking about Seiki LCDs here. You can add as many pixels as you would like and I still think a TC-P65ST60 would look better. Maybe if we are talking Sharp Elite-level LCDs, but high density local dimming backlit TVs tend to be really really expensive.

Well the thing is if someone has a 50 inch tv and sits in a couch from 4-5 feet away I think assuming decent/normal vision (not as good asmine) that 4k would still be a big upgrade.

I will agree that the average viewers viewing distance that you do need atleast 65-70 inches for 4k and most people don't get tv's that big but maybe people would start moving in closer to get the added benefit.

What makes a TV good varies for people. I am of the opinion that resolution is actually one of the most important things for image quality assuming your at a distance where you can still see it. At my dad's place we often watch stuff together from about 15 feet or so away from a 55 inch 1080p tv and it is very obvious/noticable for us when watching 1080p content vs 720p. At that distance though we need a 70 inch or above for 4k... I would maybe consider a 65 but even then....

Of course we (my dad and I) have never used an HDTV as most people use HDTV's. They have always been hooked up to a computer and used as monitors and for that usage resolution seriously does trump everything else with the increased desktop real-estate.

I actually feel that the video quality on the seiki is pretty darn good once its calibrated and watching native 4k (or upscaled to 4k via a computer) content. I also have to say that no 1080p tv compares to the seiki in visual quality to me when playing a 4k file on the seiki and playing the same file that gets downscaled to 1080p on a 1080p tv.

Even a bigger gimmick is the 4k compatible receivers using Hdmi 1.3...

Were a min of 5 yrs out from good quality 4k monitors and media to even begin to take advantage of it.

Just like 1080p, computers will be the only thing for awhile to take advantage of it.

I would be interested in a 4k monitor just to have a it act as a 2:1 for gaming . I fricken hate bezel overlay on my eyefinity setup.

Theres no need for HDMI 2.0 if they dont do 60Hz.
But it is possible that non-60hz@4K TVs surface with supposed HDMI 2 support, it is in the loose spec ...,
but I doubt Seiki will be the first to willfully deceive customers, PWM and Blacklevels and whatnot, yes, but not fake HDMI 2.0.

But it is possible that non-60hz@4K TVs surface with supposed HDMI 2 support, it is in the loose spec ...,
but I doubt Seiki will be the first to willfully deceive customers, PWM and Blacklevels and whatnot, yes, but not fake HDMI 2.0.

Yep, but they would rapidly be put to shame, it wouldnt be the best business decision.

Even a bigger gimmick is the 4k compatible receivers using Hdmi 1.3...

Were a min of 5 yrs out from good quality 4k monitors and media to even begin to take advantage of it.

Just like 1080p, computers will be the only thing for awhile to take advantage of it.

I would be interested in a 4k monitor just to have a it act as a 2:1 for gaming . I fricken hate bezel overlay on my eyefinity setup.

As long as you aren't playing a shooter, a cheap 4K big screen would be pretty sick for PC gaming though. Many modern games without AA run like 100+ fps at max settings with a decent video card, so they are perfectly capable of running 4K smoothly for many genres. Of course, this is assuming current video cards can be set to output 4K @ 60Hz via HDMI.

This sucks. I was hoping they would announce 39" 4K 60hz for around $600. Could the current 39" 4k be upgraded to 60hz?

And speaking from someone who has owned 4k displays since 2005 I have to disagree. Some of us actually have good vision who can see pixelation in aliased text and read it at the smalest renderable size from a 22 4k display from 3-4 feet away. From a 50 inch 4k display the difference is very noticable to me at 6-7 feet and still noticable (but not like WOW noticable) from 11-12 feet away. That is a tiny 50 inch display.... I am normally about 7 feet from my display so it works fine for me. Not everyone is really super far away from their mediocre sized tv's either...

What 4K display did you have in 2005?

Damn Son...
I am looking at getting a Second Panasonic 50" Plasma ( I have a VT25 50" as my main room TV) for my main gaming only monitor to compliment my one remaining Asus IPS panel as my main desktop.

I may hold out to see what these are looking like in reviews later. 60hz @ 4K is an abosolute MUST for me with my 2x 290X watercooled setup.

I dont care about image retention or any of that crap. Burn in is history with modern tech and I am willing to compromise on a lower pixel pitch of plasma for the badassness of the Panny's 8.X billion color palette and galactic deep space blacks. Best gaming I have ever done in my life was on my 50" Plasma and I am not even making that up.

I was inquiring about a 30" ZR30W etc... got some good inputs from NCX but I still want a plasma. I will wait to see what these 4K's can do. Dont expect smart nothing from Seiki they announced that they were NOT making tvs for all the high end extras, just high end panel and visual quality.

$799.00 ???? Holy SHITBALLS!

However in the description it states... "This model is includes a HDMI 1.4 standard cable to enable video resolutions beyond 1080p right out of the box.".

Now does that mean it only supports 1.4 or does it mean that it supports 2.0 just throwing in a cheap ass free cable?

edit**Nope this model doesnt... because this is from a facebook post...

Seiki Digital Shaun, you can expect to see Seiki introduce 4K UHDTV with HDMI 2.0 at CES in January.
November 11, 2013 at 7:15pm · Like · 6

I'm hoping the Seiki Pro hardware will be compatible with the 39". I'm going to wait for someone to brick one of the LCD's on these and then snag the bits left off of ebay for some hacking.

As of now, the newer models will still only do 30Hz for 4K. Click on product details here: http://www.seiki.com/products/seikiPro4k/
I was expecting an upgrade to 60Hz for 4K.... bummer! This is like one step forward and then one step back again. :rolleyes:
Hopefully more updates will clarify this.

I just read this :):
At the CES 2014 show, the company clarified what makes its new Seiki Pro brand different, explaining that all of its Pro models are designed to be future-proof and fully upgradeable—in particular, you’ll be able to step up to the HDMI 2.0 standard via future firmware updates. The premium 65-inch Seiki Pro 4K HDTV boasts upgraded electronics compared to its lesser sibling, and also flaunts improved 4K video processing and upscaling abilities.
Source: http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...w-line-of-4k-upscaling-hdmi-products-16326651

For those of you who are demanding HDMI 2.0, explain to me what the hell HDMI 2.0 is going to do for you?

Okay you just bought a new awesome HDMI 2.0 TV.

Okay? Now what. Now plug it in to your HDMI 1.4 graphics card and get 30hz?

Okay now plug it in to your home theater receiver HDMI 1.4 and get 30hz?

It doesn't change a damn thing.

For those of you who are demanding HDMI 2.0, explain to me what the hell HDMI 2.0 is going to do for you?

For those who can wait, it's better to buy a future proof 4K TV. A next generation graphics card with HDMI 2.0 can can be installed later when it comes out.

Soon enough HDMI 2 graphic cards will be out. But that is a valid point, perhaps it is better to request display port or DVI input to the TV.

From what I heard the newest ATI cards (r9 2X0) have TMDS that is already spec'd for 600Mhz meaning they can do HDMI 2.0 spec they just don't necessarily support all of the other stuff for HDMI 2 without a firmware/driver update but they should be capable of 3840x2160@60Hz on a set that supports HDMI 2.0

Exactly.
HDMI 2.0 cables (and therefore basic output/input) follow the same structure as previous HDMI cables and use the same connectors.
The main difference and the one that matters is higher frequency.
As long as it is supported or can be hacked to use it, there shouldnt be a problem.

Not to distract the product in discussion, but Vizio is also offering 50" 4k HDMI 2.0. Full array and local dimming. Promised 120 FPS @ 1080p :eek:
50" ($1000)
55" ($1400)
60" ($1800)
65" ($2200)
70" ($2600)

Last edited:
Also, the Vizio comes with Netflix built in that will stream 4k Netflix content. I'm pretty sure the Seiki sets are dumb and you'll have to supply your own 4k content (good luck).

That said, I'm curious how much Seiki wants for the 65" model?

That's only true if you have an nvidia card, current gen ATI cards have the pixel clockspeed to run 4K@60Hz via HDMI.

A powered HDMI splitter can deal with this easily, otherwise, for decor you can wait for a cheap Emotiva HDMI 2.0 processor and you can get rid of the ugly splitter.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c...024004&p_id=3661&seq=1&format=3#specification

Cable already supports 4k, so it's a non issue. AMD can already output 4k at 60 over Hdmi out included on their cards. Even Kyle was doing 4k testing on the 290x...

Back