New Seagate HDD and Enermax enclosure on their way, how do I partion and format?

Easiest thing to do would be to plug in the drive to your laptop (I assume using USB), then use windows Disk Management to format and partition the drive. No other utilities should be needed.

Anyone? My drive should be arriving today. So far I guess i'll just try that utility. I just can't figure out if it works allright with a USB enclosure.

What I really don't understand is how Windows XP treats a removable drive... If it detects it the same way as any other hard drive then the software should theoretically not be able to tell the differene but I don't know.

Well that software ended up doing the trick. It only took about maybe 10 seconds to get it ready to use too.

For all people who own a laptop... don't be scared to buy an external hard drive to put your stuff on! This thing is really fast. At least comparable to the internal drive (although a bit more CPU overhead). I'm very impressed.

I transferred my VMWare Virtual PC files from my internal drive to the external drive in 4minutes & 19 seconds! All 4.2 GB worth.

Ok well I just went ahead and tried that and it worked fine. I had it up and running in a minute or so. Great job Seagate!

For people running laptops I would highly reccomend these USB 2.0 hard drive enclosures. Man the thing is really fast.

I transferred my VMWare Virtual PCs from my internal drive to the external drive in 4minutes & 19 seconds. There was 4.2gbs worth of files. That's fast in my books. Also as a testimate to the speed... when I loaded up windows XP on my virtual PC using my internal hard drive, the blue bar had time to go accross 9 times whereas when I ran it off of the external drive it only went accross 5 times! Very cool.

The software worked perfectly and the drive is up and running now. I'm very impressed with the performance of the drive. It's just as fast or faster than the internall HDD in my laptop, highly reccomended as long as it doesn't crap out on me. :)

*sighs* I guess I will just have to assume your using XP or 2000. When you get the drive, put it in the enclosure. Once it's ready, connect the drive to your computer, and then go into disk management, and create/format the partitions. You don't need any other software.

For future reference, the more relevant information you give, the better our answers can be.

Back