New SB build up and running.

No, they do not. The Intel tower coolers were sent to reviewers because the chips were sent as OEM without heatsinks. A lot of reviewers assumed that the tower coolers were apart of the retail package as a result.

So are overclock results still the same? Is the stock cooler adequate? Temps?

Nice. I'm upgrading from a c2d as well but still contemplating if i can do away without reinstalling windows 7. Using an ssd which is also my boot drive. Not sure how to do a secure erase on the boot drive or if the reformat during install would do the same job.

Nice. I'm upgrading from a c2d as well but still contemplating if i can do away without reinstalling windows 7. Using an ssd which is also my boot drive. Not sure how to do a secure erase on the boot drive or if the reformat during install would do the same job.

I also have an SSD as a boot drive. I did not re-install Windows 7, came from a X38 board. Windows 7 detected new hardware, and I installed necessary drivers. I had to re-activate though.

now that you guys have your SB can ya'll post some benchmarks of your own. thanks.

Armpit - Pick some benchmarks to run and I will repeat them with a 980X for comparison.

Armpit - Pick some benchmarks to run and I will repeat them with a 980X for comparison.

The only benchmarks I have are Cinebench R11.5, I get 8.81 pts at 4.5GHz. Also ran SuperPi to 1M digits with a time of 8.280s.

In terms of graphics, I ran Unigene Heaven 2.1 at 2560x1440 with extreme tesselation, 16xAF, 8xAA and got a score of 1111.

Here you go Armpit -

Cinebench -
Hardforum.jpg

SPI 1M -
H-SPI.jpg

Saw no need to do Heaven bench. Run a SPI 32M if you have the time.

Here you go Armpit -

Cinebench - [*IMG]http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq69/rickss69/Hardforum.jpg[/IMG]

SPI 1M -
H-SPI.jpg

Saw no need to do Heaven bench. Run a SPI 32M if you have the time.

Here's SPi 1M and 32M from a sandy bridge... (not mine):

sandybridgebench.png

Cinebench is one of the few benches that the 980x even oc'd is winning in since it is an incredibly threaded app... most don't make much use past 4 cores or 4 cores 8 threads even in productivity *shrug*.

I also have an SSD as a boot drive. I did not re-install Windows 7, came from a X38 board. Windows 7 detected new hardware, and I installed necessary drivers. I had to re-activate though.

Thanks, that saved me a ton of time! Working perfectly now, didn't have to reactivate.

Thanks, that saved me a ton of time! Working perfectly now, didn't have to reactivate.

Hm, I didn't even think of not reinstalling Win7 when switching from my i7 920 to 2600K. I don't see why it couldn't work fine though with the newer driver model Win7 uses, but I'm hesitant to try it (my parts come in Weds.). Have you guys run any tests to make sure things look proper as far as performance goes? That would be a gigantic timesaver for me (I use an SSD as well) not having to reformat, reinstall, reactivate all my programs, redo all my settings, recopy data back, etc.

Thanks. Apparrently from some quick googling it should work properly...

is the cinebench free app?

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=cinebench

Cmon... :).

Hm, I didn't even think of not reinstalling Win7 when switching from my i7 920 to 2600K. I don't see why it couldn't work fine though with the newer driver model Win7 uses, but I'm hesitant to try it (my parts come in Weds.). Have you guys run any tests to make sure things look proper as far as performance goes? That would be a gigantic timesaver for me (I use an SSD as well) not having to reformat, reinstall, reactivate all my programs, redo all my settings, recopy data back, etc.

Thanks. Apparrently from some quick googling it should work properly...

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=cinebench

Cmon... :).

u da man dude

No, they do not. The Intel tower coolers were sent to reviewers because the chips were sent as OEM without heatsinks. A lot of reviewers assumed that the tower coolers were apart of the retail package as a result.

So, where do you get this?

For that oprice? not worth it. If it was free, yes. But there are better options for that price.

They're at about $330 right now at n c i x, but yeah..

If you live in border distance of one of the Microcenters (Ie, out East), I wouldn't bother buying processors up here.

I'm in Windsor actually but no passport, otherwise I'd consider picking up somwehere in Detroit.

rickss69...

5ghz 2600K scores 9.78 on cinebench...

http://www.clunk.org.uk/reviews/asus-p8p67-deluxe-motherboard-review/Page-21.html

So... 15% or so slower good OC 2600K than max 4.4ghz OC on that 980X (note the OC here was on air, yours is on water I am guessing? correct me if I'm wrong)... yet far faster in single-threaded/lower-thread count performance (99.9999% of apps even productivity ones; as well as games). 4.4ghz is more than most 980X's seem to hit anyway on air, though.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20188/14
Shows a 25% slower 980X @ single-threading Cinebench, gap only increases with more frequency than yours :).

As I said before... $1k for that chip is now outdated when a 2600K for $320 is much faster in many things and only a tad slower in the rare cases where it isn't. Much nicer balance, and far far far less expensive :D.

Also... 9.28 second superpi 1m on your screen, vs. 7.55 second on the one I linked. Just showing the facts.

EDIT: Or do you use sub-zero cooling it looks like.. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1526416 ?

Last edited:
I use a Boreas TEC on the 980 atm. That allows about a max of 4.7GHz depending on the load.

Don't get me wrong...I think the SB is wonderful and a great deal for someone looking to build or upgrade from a weaker system. I don't however think it a wise move for someone who already has a 1366 rig to start all over for it. I'm saying in everyday use I'll bet you can not tell much difference between the two...unless you run SuperPI IM all day long lol. :p

I use a Boreas TEC on the 980 atm. That allows about a max of 4.7GHz depending on the load.

Don't get me wrong...I think the SB is wonderful and a great deal for someone looking to build or upgrade from a weaker system. I don't however think it a wise move for someone who already has a 1366 rig to start all over for it. I'm saying in everyday use I'll bet you can not tell much difference between the two...unless you run SuperPI IM all day long lol. :p

Sure, if you have a super-duper expensive cooling sub-zero solution with a $1k cpu, there's not as big a reason even though it still is there... for the rest of us... yeah.

Last edited:
Sure, if you have a super-duper expensive cooling sub-zero solution with a $1k cpu, there's not as big a reason even though it still is there... for the rest of us... yeah.

It runs at 3.8GHz most of it's time...the Boreas just allows me to bump it up when needed.

Back