New Samsung Odyssey G9 with MiniLED announced

Good thing I'm so blind to these things haha. Yeah i think i'm going to go with PG32UQX as main gaming screen, the Neo G9 ontop of it to open different windows and the 48" C1 as a spare screen.

Edit: Wait what settings are you using?
It was Local Dimming Auto (it's even worse with it off), sRGB Picture Profile and brightness for SDR set to 15 which is around 120nits.

It was Local Dimming Auto (it's even worse with it off), sRGB Picture Profile and brightness for SDR set to 15 which is around 120nits.
With these applied settings, it's much more noticeable. Makes much more sense now.

Remember too... this is a $2500 monitor. I expect it to be absolutely perfect from a DSE perspective. This monitor needs to be dialed in.

Remember too... this is a $2500 monitor. I expect it to be absolutely perfect from a DSE perspective. This monitor needs to be dialed in.
I mean all monitors have their flaw, the PG32UQX has its own QC issues. But for the $2000 I paid for this plus the free headphones, it’s not as bad as I thought it would be

Decided to just stick with my CX until something better comes along. As much as I want another PG32UQX, it's just too compromised for the price tag.

Here goes waiting another 8 months.

New update has increased hdr standard brightness just by a small margin yeah? Well atleast, less dimm?

Got the monitor yesterday and set it up.

Finally got 3090 SLI to work beautifully in DX11 games - the only downside is that by enabling this, there is no HDR and the monitor is limited to 120Hz. It's my first Ultrawide monitor and the images look strange. Not a fan of the fish-eye effect tbh.

What settings are you guys using for Black Equalizer, Brightness, Contrast etc.? I'm in sRGB mode which looks the best so far.

Can you perceive a difference? If not, then why worry?
I haven't tried FALD in a competative game yet lol i just turn it off for them.

But it would be nice to know the numbers.

Got the monitor yesterday and set it up.

Finally got 3090 SLI to work beautifully in DX11 games - the only downside is that by enabling this, there is no HDR and the monitor is limited to 120Hz. It's my first Ultrawide monitor and the images look strange. Not a fan of the fish-eye effect tbh.

What settings are you guys using for Black Equalizer, Brightness, Contrast etc.? I'm in sRGB mode which looks the best so far.

You get use to the fish eye effect. I for one, could never go back to a more traditional 16:9 aspect ratio ever again after using this Neo for a few hrs.

Also, make sure you update to the latest firmware and when you use HDR + FALD, make sure you power off the monitor for a few seconds then power it back on. For some reason, some settings you select in the menu like enabling FALD do not take effect until you power off this monitor for atleast a few seconds then power it back on.

Also, I have managed to make Days Gone HDR look incredible on this Neo. I can really bring out the contrast and brightness in one.

Try this in Days Gone.
HDR dynamic enabled
Local Dimming High enabled

Ingame settings:
20210912-125216.jpg

Reshade settings, enable only tonemap.fx:
20210912-125233.jpg

^Thanks for the input.

Also, what is the optimal setting for the "Local Dimming?" Should that be on 'Auto' or High? What about the "Response Time" setting? I have it on 'Extreme' currently. Running it using a DP 1.4 cable @ 240Hz. The 'info' tab says HDR is 'Off.' Sorry for noob question, but how do you turn on HDR on the monitor? Or does it automatically recognize if the content (movies/games) is HDR and switches accordingly?

I tried some gaming last night - played some BF4 and it stutters like crazy - using the X99 rig with the 3080 Ti so I'm not sure if there's some setting on the monitor causing it? Should Adaptive Sync be 'ON' or 'OFF?' What about the Black Level setting? It's at 13 by default.

EDIT: Upgraded firmware via USB stick in the 'service' port on back of monitor.

Last edited:
It is always sad to see how Samsung wastes the potential of their hardware with their software.

They lost many pre-orders and early buyers for next gen and I'm very wary now when I buy my next TV!
Their specs have no value.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/odyssey-neo-g9

Rtings review. Seems I'm not blind. FALD is amazing but HDR performance is pathetic. It's hitting only 600nits in real world highlights even in HDR Dynamic which lines up with it not looking any brighter than my CX in games.
That's a bit disappointing considering what they advertised. That said, I'm happy with the HDR performance of my OLEDs so if it can have similar contrast (for scenes combining dark and light) as well then that's not bad by any means.

How do you feel about it in desktop use and gaming otherwise compared to the CX?

That's a bit disappointing considering what they advertised. That said, I'm happy with the HDR performance of my OLEDs so if it can have similar contrast (for scenes combining dark and light) as well then that's not bad by any means.

How do you feel about it in desktop use and gaming otherwise compared to the CX?
It's an amazing SDR monitor for productivity/desktop. Probably the best I've used.

Gaming is also amazing when the aspect ratio is supported.

Do you think that the brightness can be improved more over with future firmware support, or is this just limited by hardware and cannot be further improved on these units?

It can for sure be improved. It's being gimped so severely strictly because Samsung has chosen to limit highlights to prevent bloom or they want to keep panel temperatures in check to maintain consistent performance (latter is speculation on my part given the far greater zone density vs size compared to TV's).

Based on their TV's though which took almost a entire year for basic bug fixes or local dimming improvements, you're either going to be waiting an eternity or it will never improve since it seems they typically stick to their guns when it comes to decisions like this.

At the moment I don't suggest anyone buy it if HDR is a big contributing factor in the purchase decision. In the only usable HDR mode (HDR Standard), it's considerably less bright than an OLED so what's the point.

From another forum:

According to Tim (hwub):

“Update: I've been provided an early firmware file from Samsung that seems to have made progress towards fixing the HDR gaming problem on my Neo G9. I think my extensive feedback to Samsung helped (at least I hope it did). It's not 100% perfect but it's obviously better than firmware 1006.1, though I am still testing it thoroughly before I include it in my video later this week. Samsung tells me the final version of this firmware will be ready and made public before the end of the month”

and

“I've tested a few games where it can reliably do over 850 nits pretty easily now, but it's still not as bright as some of the IPS-based G-Sync Ultimate displays I've tested. Scanline issue still present, suspect it's a hardware issue

From another forum:

According to Tim (hwub):

“Update: I've been provided an early firmware file from Samsung that seems to have made progress towards fixing the HDR gaming problem on my Neo G9. I think my extensive feedback to Samsung helped (at least I hope it did). It's not 100% perfect but it's obviously better than firmware 1006.1, though I am still testing it thoroughly before I include it in my video later this week. Samsung tells me the final version of this firmware will be ready and made public before the end of the month”

and

“I've tested a few games where it can reliably do over 850 nits pretty easily now, but it's still not as bright as some of the IPS-based G-Sync Ultimate displays I've tested. Scanline issue still present, suspect it's a hardware issue

Good to see Samsung is willing to keep working to improve their Mini LED displays. I would say their first attempts at MiniLED displays with the Neo G9 and QN90A are pretty solid and should only get better from here. Hoping to see improvements on the 2022 QN90A whether it's refining the local dimming itself or just brute forcing it with more zones.

It really needs to hit 1000+ nits in games. Samsung needs to stop forcing down peoples throats what they think is best and give people options. You see this on their TV's that have tonemapping that can't be disabled.

If someone doesn't mind some bloom they really should have a "Pro" or "Movie" HDR mode in addition to the current "way too dim" because we're afraid of bloom and "circus colors" to impress your parents modes.

Can someone help regarding the stuttering ONLY in BF4 on this monitor? I play other games (CoD Vanguard Beta, GTA V etc.) and it is buttery smooth but the moment I play BF4, whether V-Sync is ON or OFF, it stutters like crazy! I can't figure out why it's doing it just for one game?!? The same system was previously on the Gigabyte AORUS FI32U which had no such issue so I know it's the monitor since that's the only thing that's changed.

20210922-211507.jpg

20210922-211516.jpg

Everyone can hate on this monitor as much they want, I still love it! Can't wait for the new firmware dropping soon, keen to see the HDR improvements.

New update available on dutch website. Should be incoming to other countries soon.

Lots of good news according to the ppl who have already tested this new firmware.

Fixes HDR gamma/color and increased brightness have been reported.

Yay, some good news finally!

I'm considering giving it another go now that HDR is solid. Might have to go through 3-4 of them to find one without DSE though.

It can for sure be improved. It's being gimped so severely strictly because Samsung has chosen to limit highlights to prevent bloom or they want to keep panel temperatures in check to maintain consistent performance (latter is speculation on my part given the far greater zone density vs size compared to TV's).

Based on their TV's though which took almost a entire year for basic bug fixes or local dimming improvements, you're either going to be waiting an eternity or it will never improve since it seems they typically stick to their guns when it comes to decisions like this.

Looks like Samsung wanted to prove you wrong lol. Really hoping their Mini LED tech gets applied to some other monitors, specifically a 32+ inch 4k 144Hz.

Looks like Samsung wanted to prove you wrong lol. Really hoping their Mini LED tech gets applied to some other monitors, specifically a 32+ inch 4k 144Hz.
Yeah it seems like without hardware unboxed pressing them with the threat of bad publicity nothing would have changed. Everyone who owns this monitor really has that channel to thank.

I'm considering giving it another go now that HDR is solid. Might have to go through 3-4 of them to find one without DSE though.

DSE and dead/stuck pixels are the only things keeping me from pulling the trigger. Nothing stresses me out more than playing panel lottery. Especially being that these are massive items that aren't exactly easy to return.

DSE and dead/stuck pixels are the only things keeping me from pulling the trigger. Nothing stresses me out more than playing panel lottery. Especially being that these are massive items that aren't exactly easy to return.
I'm pretty convinced that all of them have bad DSE and people just aren't seeing it. Here is Rting's contrast enhanced image of their panel. The horizontal FALD grid that's visible on all of them is clearly present on theirs as is the general splotchy DSE.

I'm going to gamble with another mainly because a G9 Neo + OLED as a secondary display is literally as good as it gets right now and almost the same price as a single PG32UQX while being a superior setup IMO.

It took me 3 QN90A's to find one without major DSE and I expect the same will happen with this monitor.

dse-large-adjusted-large.jpg

Last edited:
Is there a new firmware released for this monitor yet? What's the latest version?

Back