New Samsung Odyssey G9 with MiniLED announced

On another note, my monitor is permanently stuck in HDR @ 240hz. Pulled power, did a reset, still stuck in HDR. Dropping to 120hz goes back to SDR. Will probably have to DDU and reinstall Nvidia drivers.
Do you have a secondary display connected to your GPU aswell as the Neo.

If so, disconnect the other display. I had the same issue until I did this.

Do you have a secondary display connected to your GPU aswell as the Neo.

If so, disconnect the other display. I had the same issue until I did this.
Yeah my OLED is connected and super finicky (disabled itself half the time). Everytime I reboot the OLED is gone until I turn it on and manually enable it in control panel.

Let me give this a try.

EDIT: If this happens to anyone else that has a 2nd HDR capable display connected, the problem is that in W10 display settings toggling HDR does nothing while the monitor is stuck in HDR. This is because it's toggling for the 2nd display (not visibly). Click Windows HD Color settings, and manually select the G9 Neo, then disable HDR from there.

EDIT2: Firmware update is out: https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/LS49AG952NNXZA/

HDR is still broken.

Last edited:
Yeah my OLED is connected and super finicky (disabled itself half the time). Everytime I reboot the OLED is gone until I turn it on and manually enable it in control panel.

Let me give this a try.

Make sure you disable all the fast boot stuff (Bios/Windows, quick start in the TV settings). You could also try to reset the EDID if you still having problems: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/of...g-firmware-more.3075344/page-50#post-60162246
I'm using my 48C1 (HDR + GSYNC enabled) + 27" 1440p SDR monitor without any issues.

I think it improved quite a bit in HDR standard. It looks much closer to normal in games where it was completely washed out and also looks slightly brighter. HDR dynamic is still completely unusable.

There are still games where it HDR still isn't working properly though. I will consider it fixed when HDR dynamic works correctly and doesn't destroy color like it does now.

Gotta say when everything is working correctly (32:9 aspect, HDR), this thing really comes to life (terrible pictures):

20210829_234626~2.jpg
20210829_232741~2.jpg

Also to compare just how much better this monitor is performing in terms of blooming here was my PG32UQX in what is essentially worst case Metro Enhanced and a comparable shot on the Samsung:

20210615_230546.jpg

20210829_232643.jpg

Last edited:
How the hell do you update firmware, keeps saying no update file is detected.

I am using the correct port, I even tried both ports multiple times.

Is my USB stick too large, 16GB? I think I saw a youtube video saying need to use 4GB or smaller, is that true?

I used a 128GB stick. It's just picky with what it detects. You'll have to try a different one.

I can't for the life of me get a picture that represents what I'm seeing with my eyes in terms of DSE. My S21 Ultra shows the DSE splotches and horizontal bands in the viewfinder but smooths it all out after capturing/processing the image.

You guys can use this to test, it's most visible on grey/dark grey:

https://www.eizo.be/monitor-test/

On another note, my monitor is permanently stuck in HDR @ 240hz. Pulled power, did a reset, still stuck in HDR. Dropping to 120hz goes back to SDR. Will probably have to DDU and reinstall Nvidia drivers.
Do you notice it all around the screen? I'm only seeing some discoloration in the corners and bottom of the panel for both of mine

Are you testing HDR by turning it on in windows then in game or just in the game?

Is my USB stick too large, 16GB? I think I saw a youtube video saying need to use 4GB or smaller, is that true?
If it makes you feel better, one of my monitors recognized the update while the other one didn't.

woah with the new update the G9 with HIgh Bright mode and local dimming on high, the backlight changing brightness is so much more constant now while surfing the web.

Chances are its the format type, many need FAT32 or the other that escapes me atm.
ie not NTFS

Do you notice it all around the screen? I'm only seeing some discoloration in the corners and bottom of the panel for both of mine

Are you testing HDR by turning it on in windows then in game or just in the game?
Yes its predominantly in the center. The edges near the right/left bezel are clean. I don't think you're seeing what I'm seeing.

Open this up in a window and move the window across the screen back and forth:

https://www.rtings.com/images/test-materials/2015/204_Gray_Uniformity.png

You'll see what look like smudges all over the panel.

I'm enabling HDR based on the game. Some require first toggling it on in Windows to detect HDR, others do it within game on their own.

Open this up in a window and move the window across the screen back and forth:

https://www.rtings.com/images/test-materials/2015/204_Gray_Uniformity.png
Just throwing in another way to do it for those looking to test how good or bad their uniformity is. Go full screen in your browser and zoom in until the above image fills your entire screen. Then move your mouse cursor back and forth and follow the cursor with your eyes. You might notice some dark and/or light patches.

Also to compare just how much better this monitor is performing in terms of blooming here was my PG32UQX in what is essentially worst case Metro Enhanced and a comparable shot on the Samsung:

But to reduce the blooming, are the bright HDR highlights in dark scenes dimmer than the PG32 like the reviewers mention? So there is a trade-off. Sure you get less blooming, but also less punch.

But the blooming on the PG32 is horrendous, coupled with the fact its slow, I would say it's a definite steer clear monitor.

But to reduce the blooming, are the bright HDR highlights in dark scenes dimmer than the PG32 like the reviewers mention? So there is a trade-off. Sure you get less blooming, but also less punch.
Yes it is for sure dimmer. It's a good approach IMO. Those tiny 1-2% highlights that are specs of radiation don't need to be blasted to statospheric nit values since the gain in image quality is no where near comparable to the loss via blooming. I imagine many scenarios play out like this and that's why Samsung designed their FALD algorithm as it is. No FALD monitor will do small highlights like that justice, need OLED for that.

For a larger 10% highlight that hits 900+ nits it definitely blooms but it's way more muted and not like the prison escapee search light kind of bloom found on the Asus.

I'm going to do a comparison of it with my OLED and see if I can get some pictures.

I guess another point is, with the new firmware, can you actually get the claimed HDR2000 or is it still bugged?

I guess another point is, with the new firmware, can you actually get the claimed HDR2000 or is it still bugged?
HDR Dynamic which is the mode that's capable of 2000nits hits 2000nits in a 10% window but the mode itself appears broken. Gamma looks lifted and tonemapping seems completely off. Right now it's unusable in my opinion.

EDIT: I just did a direct comparison to my OLED and have to revise the above statement. So in games where HDR just doesn't work best, HDR Dynamic utterly destroys PQ which is what I was referring to. In the few games where HDR does work, HDR Dynamic is significantly brighter and "dynamic" compared to HDR Standard which in my opinion is just too dull. IMO my LG CX in terms of brightness is much closer to the Samsung HDR Dynamic to the eye. I am 100% confident that HDR standard is significantly more dim than a OLED.

Honestly HDR Dynamic is not that bad color wise, it's like adding 10% to color saturation but I understand this can screw up skin tones. If they can make this mode work across all content I will be 98% satisfied with this display. It's not eye searing bright like a PG32UQX but at the same time it's not destroying the picture with blooming. I think in game (not % window slides), HDR Dynamic gets as bright or a little less bright than a PG27UQ. I don't think it's capable of 2000nits in real content TBH, sure doesn't look it after adjusting games HDR sliders accordingly.

DSE is still unacceptable and because of it I'm 50/50 on deciding to return. It's incredibly distracting.

Last edited:
Does dynamic mode not make black levels greyish for you?

I tried it in a few HDR games, and it seems to really grey out dark areas of the image which is very unpleasant and unrealistic. But yes, dynamic does make the screen feel more vibrant and bright compared to the dimm'ness of standard mode. But standard mode, keeps blaCk levels better in hdr games.

HDR Dynamic which is the mode that's capable of 2000nits hits 2000nits in a 10% window but the mode itself appears broken. Gamma looks lifted and tonemapping seems completely off. Right now it's unusable in my opinion.

EDIT: I just did a direct comparison to my OLED and have to revise the above statement. So in games where HDR just doesn't work best, HDR Dynamic utterly destroys PQ which is what I was referring to. In the few games where HDR does work, HDR Dynamic is significantly brighter and "dynamic" compared to HDR Standard which in my opinion is just too dull. IMO my LG CX in terms of brightness is much closer to the Samsung HDR Dynamic to the eye. I am 100% confident that HDR standard is significantly more dim than a OLED.

Honestly HDR Dynamic is not that bad color wise, it's like adding 10% to color saturation but I understand this can screw up skin tones. If they can make this mode work across all content I will be 98% satisfied with this display. It's not eye searing bright like a PG32UQX but at the same time it's not destroying the picture with blooming. I think in game (not % window slides), HDR Dynamic gets as bright or a little less bright than a PG27UQ. I don't think it's capable of 2000nits in real content TBH, sure doesn't look it after adjusting games HDR sliders accordingly.

DSE is still unacceptable and because of it I'm 50/50 on deciding to return. It's incredibly distracting.

Thanks for the info. Ya I will be staying with the PG32UQX as I like the eye searing HDR highlights and I don't play a lot of dark games where the blooming wrecks it for me.

Thanks for the info. Ya I will be staying with the PG32UQX as I like the eye searing HDR highlights and I don't play a lot of dark games where the blooming wrecks it for me.
Solid choice, the more I use the neo G9, the more I miss my PG32UQX. Just those highlights themselves were so immersive and jaw dropping.

Does dynamic mode not make black levels greyish for you?

I tried it in a few HDR games, and it seems to really grey out dark areas of the image which is very unpleasant and unrealistic. But yes, dynamic does make the screen feel more vibrant and bright compared to the dimm'ness of standard mode. But standard mode, keeps blaCk levels better in hdr games.
Yeah it does that's what I mean by it lifting gamma in games that the monitor doesn't function well with HDR. Try the Assassin's Creed series of games. HDR looks and works as well as my OLED there and really shows what HDR Dynamic is capable of.

On another note this DSE is driving me nuts. $2000 display with $299 TV levels of grey uniformity really make this unusable for me. It's just noticeable everywhere.

The final test will be my wife. I'm going to show her some content and see if she notices anything it's going back. I don't believe it's my sample based on my experience with Samsung TV's, some of you guys are just not sensitive to it. Coming from a super clean OLED, this is like mud smeared across the panel.

EDIT: Man this is so bad, I have no choice but to return it:

Last edited:
Yeah it's terrible. I'm pretty surprised that people are not mentioning this. I noticed it within 5 minutes of getting the monitor and have spent the past few days trying to look past it but its just not possible.

I'm packing it up right now for return.

Gonna find another PG32UQX to hold me over. Too bad they've been sold out for like 3 weeks.

DSE is definitely there on my Samsung Q90R, but it doesn't look even close to that bad. Wow.

Yeah it's terrible. I'm pretty surprised that people are not mentioning this. I noticed it within 5 minutes of getting the monitor and have spent the past few days trying to look past it but its just not possible.

Gonna find another PG32UQX to hold me over. Too bad they've been sold out for like 3 weeks.

Lol why even bother with the Asus with it's asstastic blooming and snail pixels? Unless you really can't wait a bit for potentially one of the new Mini LED monitors that are on the horizon using BOE panels with 10,000 dimming zones. https://blurbusters.com/expose-stea...e-oleds-by-boe-china-surprising-blur-busters/

"BOE apparently already have a 10,000-zone locally dimmed desktop high refresh rate gaming monitor as well, which they call ADS Pro technology"

Lol why even bother with the Asus with it's asstastic blooming and snail pixels? Unless you really can't wait a bit for potentially one of the new Mini LED monitors that are on the horizon using BOE panels with 10,000 dimming zones. https://blurbusters.com/expose-stea...e-oleds-by-boe-china-surprising-blur-busters/

"BOE apparently already have a 10,000-zone locally dimmed desktop high refresh rate gaming monitor as well, which they call ADS Pro technology"
Yeah I'm really undecided on what to do. Looks like I might be back to using my CX until something worth while comes along.

Yeah I'm really undecided on what to do. Looks like I might be back to using my CX until something worth while comes along.

That's what I'm doing for now because everything else is too much of a compromise. Innolux has pretty much gone completely silent with their 10,000 zone Mini LED panel so it's nice to see BOE pick up the baton. Hopefully this pushes AUO and other panel makers to get on with high zone FALD displays sooner.

So for anyone on the fence about this monitor that might be coming from a PG27UQ or OLED, here is my overall pros and cons just as I go to return it.

Pros:

- The best SDR FALD performance of any monitor to date
- 240hz is a substantial improvement over 120hz
- Motion clarity is incredible
- Overshoot found in measurements is no where to be seen in actual content (and I'm super sensitive to inverse ghosting)
- VRR implementation is flawless, no flicker, no strange stutter when transitioning to LFC
- Width for productivity is amazing using FancyZones
- When supported correctly 32:9 is a experience to behold, makes playing at 16:9 look like staring through binoculars

Cons:

- I hate the curve
- Symmetric BLB typical of curved displays
- Uniformity issues galore, DSE, horizontal FALD grid, horizontal bands, etc
- Scanlines at 240hz come and go for me
- 1440p looks a bit soft having used 4K displays for the past 4+ years
- 1440p image quality loss in games is clear as day for me, lots more aliasing, lots more blurriness in distant objects
- 1440p height in terms of resolution is too low
- Getting the full aspect ratio working in many games is a chore and when it does work, requires fine tuning to limit stretching at the sides (not always possible)
- HDR blows, as of the date of this post, when it works this is essentially some where between an HDR600 and HDR1000 monitor in real non test slide content

In the grand scheme of things a 16:9 display + a 2nd or 3rd monitor just offers a similar experience for me. I like plug and play, not pull hair and pray with all the quirks of Ultrawide (16:9 cutscenes/menus, no support in some games, 500 million ini tweaks/fixes, etc).

If it didn't suffer from such atrocious DSE, I would honestly keep it just for productivity or the occasional game while using my OLED for stuff that matters.

Give me a flat 32-42" 4K 16:9 version of this with working HDR and I'd pay $3000+ for it. Samsung has proven a Gsync module is not necessary.

We just don’t see it, I showed it to my wife and two of my cousins. no one is seeing DSE on my two samples. might Just keep one and Put it ontop of a PG32UQX

I see DSE on mine, but it's not driving me crazy (it annoys me knowing it's there, and how expensive the monitor was). I feel like if I pay close enough attention to anything I'll find imperfections. I remember back in the day when I purchased my first large screen 1080P TV. Sharp Aquos... and everyone who had one was complaining about the uniformity issues on grey backgrounds (the thread is probably still on avsforum after 10+ years). People were swapping TV's in search for the best panel, I think I did as well, but the replacement was no better. Eventually instead of looking for imperfections I learned to enjoy watching the content instead.

I'm still not sure if I will keep mine yet, but I have like 10 more days to decide. The thing that bothers me the most about it is it being a VA panel... I hate color shift on off-angle viewing when using it as a multiscreen monitor w/ stuff on the sides.

We just don’t see it, I showed it to my wife and two of my cousins. no one is seeing DSE on my two samples. might Just keep one and Put it ontop of a PG32UQX

They probably never saw any of the hidden pictures in those 3d images where you have to un-focus your eyes either.

Yea when are those coming? 2025???
Just enjoy the best display you can get now and trade it in for the next best thing. Rinse & repeat. I don't know how dudes, dudettes and gender pronouns can tolerate the same display for 5+ years....

They probably never saw any of the hidden pictures in those 3d images where you have to un-focus your eyes either.
Those they are able to see clearly. I'm under the assumption it's not a big enough bother because they see DSE on my guest room's samsung TV

Yeah the thing is I don't really have to pay close attention to it to notice. You can scroll up and down this page and see it to a minor degree. It's far worse in actual content which is where I showed it to my wife (indoors in Metro Enhanced). It's also much more prominent with HDR enabled.

I mean look at the GIF I posted above (Slormancer), you have to be blind to not "notice" that. It literally looks like the screen is dirty. I envy those of you who can't (or refuse to) see it. Even better if you can't see the faint yellow horizontal bands that concide with the FALD grid on a white page.

All I'm saying is it's unacceptable for a $2500 display. Sure the PG32UQX blooms and has some smear north of 100hz, but mine was flawless otherwise and the cleanest monitor I've ever owned.

Yea when are those coming? 2025???
Just enjoy the best display you can get now and trade it in for the next best thing. Rinse & repeat. I don't know how dudes, dudettes and gender pronouns can tolerate the same display for 5+ years....

Yeah probably. I'm already 3 years in with my Acer X27 and it took this long just to even get a 32" successor to that monitor so getting a 10,000 zone successor will take just as long or longer I imagine.

I mean look at the GIF I posted above (Slormancer), you have to be blind to not "notice" that. It literally looks like the screen is dirty. I envy those of you who can't (or refuse to) see it.
Good thing I'm so blind to these things haha. Yeah i think i'm going to go with PG32UQX as main gaming screen, the Neo G9 ontop of it to open different windows and the 48" C1 as a spare screen.

Edit: Wait what settings are you using?

Those they are able to see clearly. I'm under the assumption it's not a big enough bother because they see it DSE on my guest room's samsung TV
It just doesn't bother some people and/or they don't look for it. I can't un-see it though.

Back