New Samsung Odyssey G9 with MiniLED announced

Is that Darth Vaders glove.
I use that for my other hobby

1630021835889.png

So another guy in Australia got his and did some testing on his unit. Here is what he said:

"I was only able to get around 650 nits peak in a 10% size test patch of 100% brightness with auto local dimming. With LD low and high the brightness is over 1000 nits. LD auto seems to aggressively suppress blooming and even dark areas with some small light sources will still be backlit, resulting in grey blacks but zero blooming due to no dimming. Large black area will achieve true blacks with leds off. Local dimming low and high provider deeper black level but at the cost of some bloom.

I tried MSFS2020 after failing to run cyberpunk. The runway at night looked dank with LD low or high. Quite impressive and the bloom of runway lights seems greatly reduced compared to some youtube PG32UQX videos. When actually going in for the landing I could not recall seeing the lights jump between different adjacent backlight sections.

LD low or high does seem to weirdly impact colour accuracy and brightness mapping beyond what you would expect as others have mentioned."

After being disappointed with the PG32UQX‘s quality control and hearing the responses here, I’m so hopeful!

490700_6A7D9B15-8EB1-4E18-9699-14FCA25B3F9F.jpeg

Attachments

• 490700_6A7D9B15-8EB1-4E18-9699-14FCA25B3F9F.jpeg
    490700_6A7D9B15-8EB1-4E18-9699-14FCA25B3F9F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
So another guy in Australia got his and did some testing on his unit. Here is what he said:

"I was only able to get around 650 nits peak in a 10% size test patch of 100% brightness with auto local dimming. With LD low and high the brightness is over 1000 nits. LD auto seems to aggressively suppress blooming and even dark areas with some small light sources will still be backlit, resulting in grey blacks but zero blooming due to no dimming. Large black area will achieve true blacks with leds off. Local dimming low and high provider deeper black level but at the cost of some bloom.

I tried MSFS2020 after failing to run cyberpunk. The runway at night looked dank with LD low or high. Quite impressive and the bloom of runway lights seems greatly reduced compared to some youtube PG32UQX videos. When actually going in for the landing I could not recall seeing the lights jump between different adjacent backlight sections.

LD low or high does seem to weirdly impact colour accuracy and brightness mapping beyond what you would expect as others have mentioned."
Just a heads up for anyone testing LD settings, you have to completely exit the menu OSD to see a change in it's behavior/performance. Keeping the menu open and cycling between is no good because it sets the FALD to a semi on permanent state regardless of setting until you exit.

But yeah LD high should be the best performing setting in theory going off Samsung TV's but it's not worth using ATM since it blows up gamma/color or whatever it's doing.

EDIT: I dunno why people are chasing HDR with this thing given it's broken state. I messed with HDR for 10 minutes and never bothered. Waiting until a firmware update fixes it.

Last edited:
Lol just open that one up, perfect condition
NOW WAY I WOULD ACCEPT ANY DISPLAY FROM A BOX IN THAT CONDITION!

The only reason mine was delivered was cause I was at work and my wife signed for it, but I have already disciplined her and she won't do that again.

New firmware (1006.1) link is available via Samsung website, but not yet downloadable. Well atleast on the Samsung Australia website, not sure about other countries.

Looks like the box isn't up to the worst Fedex can throw at it (split began EXACTLY in the middle top):

Attachments

• thumbnail_20210827_070730.jpg
    thumbnail_20210827_070730.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 0
That's absolutely nothing. If it's packed like my CRG9 it's literally encased in styrofoam so none of that would have any effect. Just open it up and give it a try.

Oh yea, well take a good look at vegas split damaged unit above.

I bet you a million dollars vegas box damage looked exactly like mine!

Oh yea, well take a good look at vegas split damaged unit above.

I bet you a million dollars vegas box damage looked exactly like mine!

If only there were some way of opening the box and seeing if the contents are damaged.

I can't tell if you're serious with some of these comments. Telling somebody to return their unit because the box is ever so slightly scuffed.

There's a reason why these things are surrounded in thick layers of foam. They know that they will get tossed around during shipping.

Have any of you ordered from Amazon and received the monitor yet? I pre-ordered on Amazon on Aug. 10th and now the delivery date is end of Sept! :mad:

TWO CRACKED NEO G9's. UNBELIEVABLE.

Both came from the same warehouse in Dallas Texas area. One shipped via Fedex (BestBuy order) and one shipped by UPS (Samsung order). Second box had less visible disruption.

The cracks were IDENTICAL, branching out from the top into four "legs". Definitely a manufacturing problem. Either they are cracking when they are putting them in the boxes after checking them off the assembly line, or the way they were stacked on pallets at the warehouse putting to much pressure on them is my guess. Interestingly, this is the first monitor I've ever seen made in Vietnam.

I'm done with the Neo G9, it's way too fragile. I highly doubt it was going to replace my PG32UQX, but I still wanted to try it out. Having received and tested over 100+ monitors in the last two decades, without a single crack, having two back to back is beyond just "random" chance.

If only there were some way of opening the box and seeing if the contents are damaged.

I can't tell if you're serious with some of these comments. Telling somebody to return their unit because the box is ever so slightly scuffed.

There's a reason why these things are surrounded in thick layers of foam. They know that they will get tossed around during shipping.

Both vegas are damaged....I rest my fucking case.

For now!!!
My box had some dings in it, my monitor is physically perfect.

For now!! Maybe your monitor suffered a couple concussions and will have CTE issues in the future.

Maybe HDR doesnt work on some cause the flux capacitor is damaged from shipping

TWO CRACKED NEO G9's. UNBELIEVABLE.

Both came from the same warehouse in Dallas Texas area. One shipped via Fedex (BestBuy order) and one shipped by UPS (Samsung order). Second box had less visible disruption.

The cracks were IDENTICAL, branching out from the top into four "legs". Definitely a manufacturing problem. Either they are cracking when they are putting them in the boxes after checking them off the assembly line, or the way they were stacked on pallets at the warehouse putting to much pressure on them is my guess. Interestingly, this is the first monitor I've ever seen made in Vietnam.

I'm done with the Neo G9, it's way too fragile. I highly doubt it was going to replace my PG32UQX, but I still wanted to try it out. Having received and tested over 100+ monitors in the last two decades, without a single crack, having two back to back is beyond just "random" chance.
Dont give up, order two more!!!

My friends was damaged like that but we both think it's from him being a doofus and taking it out of the box without first mounting the stand.

He placed it on a table with a blanket on top and secured the stand. Heard a pop and when in he went to turn it on the center was damaged. Makes sense since all the weight was basically on the 2 ends and the stand is pretty heavy along with him torquing the screws downward.

Just a heads up for noobs, don't do this.

My friends was damaged like that but we both think it's from him being a doofus and taking it out of the box without first mounting the stand.

He placed it on a table with a blanket on top and secured the stand. Heard a pop and when in he went to turn it on the center was damaged. Makes sense since all the weight was basically on the 2 ends and the stand is pretty heavy along with him torquing the screws downward.

Just a heads up for noobs, don't do this.
It looks like the mfring process causes internal stress in the casing such that its going to break some day anyway.
If it happens on a cold day, it could split much further.
I wouldnt expect this to happen at any time during handling or assembly, unless dropped.

That it happened shortly after purchase is fortunate so you have maximum protection.
Thank you everyone for the heads up, I'll wait for the next gen, hopefully they have learned how not to make a display!

Ya I cringed when all those Youtube reviewers were sitting their G9's face down on a hard surface putting all that pressure on the ends of the screen before attaching the stands. Crazy. I attached my stands, lifted the screen off the curved Styrofoam via the stand, no noises made, immediately looked at both screen surfaces, both were cracked, set it back down on the Styrofoam and sealed boxes back up. Whatever happened to my monitors, must have been some pretty big fault along the way.

And if the guy lowering the monitor into the box at the factory, or the package falling off a pallet or something did my two monitors in, that is a huge design flaw to be that fragile.

Ya I cringed when all those Youtube reviewers were sitting their G9's face down on a hard surface putting all that pressure on the ends of the screen before attaching the stands. Crazy. I attached my stands, lifted the screen off the curved Styrofoam via the stand, no noises made, immediately looked at both screen surfaces, both were cracked, set it back down on the Styrofoam and sealed boxes back up. Whatever happened to my monitors, must have been some pretty big fault along the way.

And if the guy lowering the monitor into the box at the factory, or the package falling off a pallet or something did my two monitors in, that is a huge design flaw to be that fragile.

I think some fuckery was defiantly going on at that texas warehouse.
Its a shame, but I think this is what happens when you only have 1440pee vertical pixels holding things together.
2160p is so much more pixel density to give more strength to the display.

Good thing you did not order from newegg...they were real dicks to me when my MSI lightning and 5 replacements died back in the day. Made me RMA to MSI after the 6th one...... Oh and totally unrelated PSA everybody, dont bother overclocking PCIE lanes, its too risky, kills gpus, and barley any speed gains reall

Last edited:
Yeah thankfully mine was shipped from LA area via UPS and only had like an hour of transit time and arrived 10AM the next morning after getting tracking the evening before. It's probably bad news for those of you getting it shipped coast to coast.

I think it has more to do with carrier abuse than it does the packaging (but I mean if the packaging can't stand abuse it's the packaging's fault too) since the prior G9's had identical packaging. One big drop is probably all it takes for the center to flex along with the weight of the styrofoam above it holding the stand/etc.

Yeah thankfully mine was shipped from LA area via UPS and only had like an hour of transit time and arrived 10AM the next morning after getting tracking the evening before. It's probably bad news for those of you getting it shipped coast to coast.

I think it has more to do with carrier abuse than it does the packaging (but I mean if the packaging can't stand abuse it's the packaging's fault too) since the prior G9's had identical packaging. One big drop is probably all it takes for the center to flex along with the weight of the styrofoam above it holding the stand/etc.

I don't know man, my second box on the outside had minimal disturbance. Two monitors shipped by two different carries, there is a flaw in either the screen design to be super fragile or a flaw in the packaging. I would never own one of these outside of return window after experiencing this. Imagine having to move homes or heck even move it to another room and it cracks. You're out $2.5K.

The edges of the outside of both displays need to be pushed back so the curve radius is the same between the two. Right now it has a bit of a "V" shape.

I gotta say that I'm really enjoying this monitor but the DSE is killing me. Mines got dark splotches all over the place. Right now the deciding factor on whether I keep it or not will be if I can grow to stop fixating on it when it's super obvious (panning shots, skyboxes, grey/blue, etc).

I don't know man, my second box on the outside had minimal disturbance. Two monitors shipped by two different carries, there is a flaw in either the screen design to be super fragile or a flaw in the packaging. I would never own one of these outside of return window after experiencing this. Imagine having to move homes or heck even move it to another room and it cracks. You're out $2.5K.

The edges of the outside of both displays need to be pushed back so the curve radius is the same between the two. Right now it has a bit of a "V" shape.
Thats super weird, both of mine were a bit beaten up but everything was definitely intact and the screens were perfect. Maybe they were on the same pallet and were improperly mishandled.

Yeah I was so eager to turn them on and see if there were any obvious imperfections

I gotta say that I'm really enjoying this monitor but the DSE is killing me. Mines got dark splotches all over the place. Right now the deciding factor on whether I keep it or not will be if I can grow to stop fixating on it when it's super obvious (panning shots, skyboxes, grey/blue, etc).

That sucks man....

I've been testing FALD in the dark and auto is definitely a desktop use optimized setting. It keeps overall backlight level relatively high and by that I mean even on pitch black the zones are partially on.

This successfully limits blooming to a huge degree since the difference between a lit up zone and one in it's partial on state is far less annoying to the eye. It also seems to choose when to enable/disable a zone more conservatively. The added benefit here is it almost completely mitigates BLB/etc while also providing decent black levels.

FALD on high gives you what no other FALD monitor is capable of so far and that's zones completely shutting off like they would on TV's.

Edit: I'll get a pic of my DSE

DSE and overall bad (gray) uniformity is something that I could never get used to. You should not accept that for this amount of money. Sadly, Samsung is known for bad uniformity, at least on the TV sector.

DSE and overall bad (gray) uniformity is something that I could never get used to. You should not accept that for this amount of money. Sadly, Samsung is known for bad uniformity, at least on the TV sector.
Yeah I'm debating opting for a replacement but it seems many others are experiencing the same thing and this isn't really a panel lottery thing.

The splotches of DSE are one thing but the horizontal FALD grid is probably what's going to make me return it.

I just played a few hrs of Days Gone using '4K Realism' reshade preset (minus the FakeHDR.fx option) on this monitor in HDR standard, LD High and my god it looks great! Yes it will look a bit saturated, but the brightness is very high, and the blacks are very black. Overall, I am really enjoying it on this monitor!

Yeah I posted that up yesterday.

Someone said samsung never release any notes on their updates, so it probably just fixes a VRR flicker and that's it lol

DSC_4683.JPG

DSC_4684.JPG

DSC_4686.JPG

does this help? not the original person you quoted but just tried it on my screens.

I can't for the life of me get a picture that represents what I'm seeing with my eyes in terms of DSE. My S21 Ultra shows the DSE splotches and horizontal bands in the viewfinder but smooths it all out after capturing/processing the image.

You guys can use this to test, it's most visible on grey/dark grey:

https://www.eizo.be/monitor-test/

On another note, my monitor is permanently stuck in HDR @ 240hz. Pulled power, did a reset, still stuck in HDR. Dropping to 120hz goes back to SDR. Will probably have to DDU and reinstall Nvidia drivers.

Back