New Samsung Odyssey G9 with MiniLED announced

Around the 1:50 mark onwards is where I noticed it.

I just looked at your examples on both my LG CX OLED and my Samsung Q90R QLED (480 dimming zones), and I saw no artifacts like the ones you're seeing. It looks like macro-blocking, possibly caused by a low bitrate or compressed stream.

EDIT: Upon further inspection, there "might" be something wrong with your display as I cannot get those artifacts to reproduce anywhere, either on my PC or on the Youtube apps for my Smart TVs.

Guys I have ran into another concern.

First is pretty much what I mentioned before, getting HDR to work brightly without being dimmed out requires some mucking around. It seems I have to run a game with HDR activated for some time and then restart the game, or I have to keep entering/exiting a HDR game to get it to properly activate HDR+FALD without being dimm, so it is clearly bright. Sounds odd, but that's what I have had to do so far on my unit.

Secondly, i have spotted some strange local dimming zones glitching clearly visible on a black background HDR test video on youtube. I have posted the pic here (look carefully) :
View attachment 384883

View attachment 384884

You can clearly see the dimming zones if thats what those squares are? Its brighter and more pronounced in HDR dynamic, but it only appears briefly in that video. Don't mind the blooming around the bottle, that's just my phone camera adding that in, there is actually no blooming around the bottle at all, but those dimming squares if that's what they are, is definitely there in that video.

Is this poor FALD algorithm or is my unit faulty, or both?

I forgot to test that scene with dimming off to see if these squares dissapear, but its not there on my CX Oled in the same scene.
Looks almost like compression artifacts. Reminds me of colorspace conversion artifacts. Like when you convert TV studio levels (16-235) to RGB (0-255).

Guys I think you may be rite, might be compression artifacts. Sorry, I might have jumped the gun a bit because I thought something is wrong with my unit.

Will try again later.

So I did the HDR FALD video test on youtube. Worked brilliantly, no artifacting in the back ground and pitch black besides the moving white point.

I have noticed, when I exit this dark video, the screen has brightened up alot for a few seconds and i can see it dimm down manually infront of me, sort of like ABL kicking in or something? Anyone know why does that happen, is it normal?

Sounds like Samsung got really aggressive with the limiting of power consumption/brightness.

Sounds like Samsung got really aggressive with the limiting of power consumption/brightness.

Wondering if the 'eye saver' mode has anything to do with it.

Funny thing is, the 'eye saver' option is always greyed out and I cannot seem to be able to adjust it on/off under any circumstances so far. Firmware bug?

Thinking of cancelling my pre-orders. Sounds like a lot of issues, especially since I have arguably a better display anyway (PG32UQX).

Yeah this thing sounds like hot trash in it's current state but I really want to give the form factor a try and see how nice 240hz is for desktop use.

Isn't this Samsung's first MiniLED monitor? An OK effort I guess but the monitor does have the potential to be better. Even their QN90A MiniLED is a pretty decent effort but could use a bit more work. Who knows maybe in a few more years Samsung will have some real OLED killers once they can get more dimming zones with better local dimming algorithm and fine tune the overdrive some more to eliminate all the overshoot.

There is no overshoot on my unit on Faster setting, and there is no blur, ghosting, no smearing etc. This is seriously one hell of a fast panel even with all it's glorious features, it is quiet surprising how fast it actually is.

I also just did the HDR FALD test, and and conclude this monotor handles it very well, the entire screen was pitch black except for the moving circles. There is very faint halo around the moving circles, but very hard to notice even when you are up close to the panel.

I am going to hold onto mine, simply because I am already use to the vertical height after 2 hrs of use, and the HDR FALD quality (when I can make it work) is simply incredible!

I just wish they will bring out something like this but in a bit bigger verticle screen size sooner rather than later.

There is no overshoot on my unit on Faster setting, and there is no blur, ghosting, no smearing etc. This is seriously one hell of a fast panel even with all it's glorious features, it is quiet surprising how fast it actually is.

I also just did the HDR FALD test, and and conclude this monotor handles it very well, the entire screen was pitch black except for the moving circles. There is very faint halo around the moving circles, but very hard to notice even when you are up close to the panel.

I was referring to the QN90A. But yes Samsung can make some dam fast VA's for sure.

1629157321768.png

Yeah thats fair enough, I have put about 10hrs into pubg on this monitor, and about 3 hrs into Cyberpunk and Horizon ZD, and I did not see any overshoot. As a matter of fact I think the response is faster than my Aorus FI27Q-X 240Hz which has a SS-IPS panel, and I love that panel.

Ok so my screen only seems to dimm when I activate FALD.

When I disable it, all the lights (brightness) are way more punchy. Has to be an issue yeah? FALD shouldn't dimm a screen surely?

I am going to contact Samsung about this.
My friend gets his unit tommorow so will compare with his.

Just sent mine back; real shame as I loved the form factor and the promise... but the lack of working HDR and scanlines are too much.

I ordered one at launch through best buy. So no worries cancelling my preorder when I can just box it up and drop it off at a local best buy to return if need be. I was really looking forward to it after the initial "reviews", but if all these headaches exist at the time I get mine I'll likely be returning it as well. It would be in Samsung's best interest to start fixing problems instead of saying they aren't aware of them, because they will lose lots of money if everyone just returns them. Best to return during return window than wait and hope things get fixed... can always repurchase it.

You guys in US are lucky to be able to return electronic goods. In Australia, once that box is opened, there is no chance of return unless item is faulty.

You guys in US are lucky to be able to return electronic goods. In Australia, once that box is opened, there is no chance of return unless item is faulty.

How is "faulty" defined though? Would the broken HDR pass for that? Or only stuff like dead pixels.

How is "faulty" defined though? Would the broken HDR pass for that? Or only stuff like dead pixels.
That question got me interested and I found this: https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund

It says a product has to have a major problem in order to be returned/refunded. But it's kind of vague because one of the criteria for major problem is:

"it has a problem that would have stopped someone from buying it if they’d known about it"

I mean if you told me the monitor I'm buying has a single dead pixel, I wouldn't buy it. So does that pass for a major problem?

Last edited:
That question got me interested and I found this: https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund

It says a product has to have a major problem in order to be returned/refunded. But it's kind of vague because one of the criteria for major problem is:

"it has a problem that would have stopped someone from buying it if they’d known about it"

I mean if you told me the monitor I'm buying has a single dead pixel, I wouldn't buy it. So does that pass for a major problem?
If you quote the ruling, then yes.
But you might have to take it through a court to make it stick.

I think this is pretty easy to prove:

Why buy the NEO over the 1st gen G9 which is over $1000 cheaper? For the HDR rating, and FALD.
So if they NEO didn't have those features chances are you wouldn't spend $1000+ more for the new model vs the 1st gen version. So if the features don't work correctly you would not have purchased the G9 NEO. Therefore it should be considered defective.

I think this is pretty easy to prove:

Why buy the NEO over the 1st gen G9 which is over $1000 cheaper? For the HDR rating, and FALD.
So if they NEO didn't have those features chances are you wouldn't spend $1000+ more for the new model vs the 1st gen version. So if the features don't work correctly you would not have purchased the G9 NEO. Therefore it should be considered defective.
I totally agree with this, and this argument will be the one I use if I decide to return it, which might be likely if I cannot get HDR and FALD working without the screen being dimmed down.

Strange, even with local dimming disabled in HDR mode, the image looks bloody damm good. The contrast is so good that I actually think local dimming is still activated unless there is a mainly black background.

For example look at this photo, with dimming off the blacks are still dark, contrast between light and dark is still very good imo.

20210819-050629.jpg

Good contrast with local dimming off is probably because it's a VA panel. Aren't those supposed to have much better contrast than any other LCD display type? I will say though, the contrast in that scene pales in comparison to the deep blacks of your desk. :D

Good contrast with local dimming off is probably because it's a VA panel. Aren't those supposed to have much better contrast than any other LCD display type? I will say though, the contrast in that scene pales in comparison to the deep blacks of your desk. :D
I should do a local dimming enabled comparison, because when I did enable it, the blacks are barely any deeper in games, unless its a black background.

What you're using to test local dimming off is a pretty bad example.

I'm running out of patience waiting for them to ship this thing.

What you're using to test local dimming off is a pretty bad example.

I'm running out of patience waiting for them to ship this thing.
I have tested the Black HDR LG videos on youtube plus a few others like that, and yes in that you can tell local dimming is making a pretty noticeable difference enabled vs disabled, but like I was saying, it is only in HDR games where it makes barely any difference, well to me atleast other than dimming the entire screen when it is enabled.

I have tested the Black HDR LG videos on youtube plus a few others like that, and yes in that you can tell local dimming is making a pretty noticeable difference enabled vs disabled, but like I was saying, it is only in HDR games where it makes barely any difference, well to me atleast other than dimming the entire screen when it is enabled.
Yeah that's the same reason people with HDR400/600 monitors say HDR looks awesome. With best case scenario when average picture level is pretty high, the local dimming isn't contributing much.

I am actually loving this 32:9 49" size aswell.

When I first heard about a monitor this size and aspect ratio, I thought to myself I would never like it.

But after playing a few games on the Neo G9 for a few hrs at native res, I thought to myself I could never go back to a 16:9. I tried to go back to my CX48 just for a few minutes in a game, I instantly wanted to go back to the Neo G9 lol. Ofcourse not everyone will like this aspect ratio and size.

Yeah I'm hoping the same happens to me. I've voiced multiple times here how much I despise using my CX as a monitor after a year of use. It's gotten really annoying and tiring.

Yeah I'm hoping the same happens to me. I've voiced multiple times here how much I despise using my CX as a monitor after a year of use. It's gotten really annoying and tiring.
My gaming rig doubles for work productivity.....working on the Cx was driving me up a wall. Working on the PG27UQ was tiring......the PG32 finally nailed it

I am actually loving this 32:9 49" size aswell.

When I first heard about a monitor this size and aspect ratio, I thought to myself I would never like it.

But after playing a few games on the Neo G9 for a few hrs at native res, I thought to myself I could never go back to a 16:9. I tried to go back to my CX48 just for a few minutes in a game, I instantly wanted to go back to the Neo G9 lol. Ofcourse not everyone will like this aspect ratio and size.
For me too many games had issues with field of view distortion and that made me feel using the full width of the CRG9 was less useful considering that distorted area still costs you performance. At 3840x1440 most of the issue is mitigated. I also felt some games like Doom Eternal were uncomfortable to play at 5120x1440 because of the FOV distortion making for a very fish eye lens effect.

Try running the CX with a custom resolution of 3840x1440 or 3840x1600 and compare to that. On the G9 Neo that might actually work nicer because the local dimming can keep the black bars on sides completely black so they are less noticeable.

I like the super ultrawide form factor on the desktop a lot more though. Now if only they made a 7680x2160 version...

I'm suspicious about HWUnboxed suggesting not to purchase or pre-order after having discussed the issue with Samsung for over a week. Makes me believe it could potentially be a hardware issue.

There's a guy in that thread they're talking about who got a replacement Neo G9 that swears it has no HDR issues like his first. He can swap between them and the first is washed out while the new one isn't.

Let's hope this is actually a driver/firmware issue and won't require another recall like the first G9 which is definately a possibility if Samsung is using different manufacturers/parts for components (which may explain why some samples work and others don't). I feel like if this was a simple handshake or tonemapping issue it would have been resolved pretty fast on Samsungs part.

Screenshot 2021-08-19 090851.png

Just to voice an alternative opinion, I love ultrawide. I really do. But going back to 16:9 in the format of a 48" OLED has reinvigorated some of that gaming magic for me. Partly because of the insane jump in image quality over my Predator X34. And also because it fills most of my horizontal and vertical FOV, so it feels really immersive.

I also DO NOT miss having to research if my games even support ultrawide, doing weird hex edits that are constantly being undone due to auto-updates, or downloading patches that trigger my antivirus. I've also seen some weird fisheye and/or stretching happening on 49" ultrawides depending on game and FOV settings.

So, like anything else in the monitor world, there are tradeoffs. I appreciate both viewpoints though. I might even get a G9 at some point if the price drops and the bugs are ironed out.

I've played in 21:9 aspect ratio, and while the FOV is absolutely fantastic, it's hell when you try and play older titles. Going back to 16:9 on my CX fixed everything. The G9 and G9 Neo are crazy insane monitors, but I don't feel like putting up with the headaches associated with Ultrawide aspect ratios.

I'd like to see Samsung do a version of this in 5120x2160 at 40". There's a few monitors coming out in this format (Dell U4021QW, LG 40WP95C, Lenovo P40W), but they're IPS and lack FALD. IMO the extra vertical real estate over the G9 would be very welcome, both for productivity and gaming/content consumption.

1629399111520.png

Back