New Samsung Odyssey G9 with MiniLED announced

Hmm.. this monitor has PBP mode. Might have to try it out. hmmmmm.

The reason things might look washed out in HDR is the local dimming will allow the Backlights to shine brighter which can in-turn make things looked more washed out.

You get the same kind of effect on FALD TVs such as the Sony x950G. These Tv's usually have different Dimming settings that can allow you to reduce this effect. Usually maximum Local Dimming reduces this the most however it was mean that means your Peak Brightness on small highlights will be washed out more and gives a flatter picture. It is for this reason Sony actually recommends its medium Dimming setting for best picture accuracy even though it is more washed out and has worse black levels.

Maybe Samsung needs to implement a more aggressive dimming algorithm for HDR that will drop peak brightness but improve black levels.

If I get my unit and it has washed out HDR with local dimming enabled, I will be returning it.

So far, most user reviewers have said that
SDR + local dimming
HDR + no local dimming

Look amazing on this monitor with near oled level blacks.

This is literally the first time since I can remember that the EU got a display in peoples hands before the US. Now I know how it feels.

EDIT: Looks like Australia got theirs too, now I'm really pissed.

G9 Neo is 2200 euros here in Finland. That's a lot of money for FALD and some other upgrades. For reference the regular G9 is 1300.

G9 Neo is 2200 euros here in Finland. That's a lot of money for FALD and some other upgrades. For reference the regular G9 is 1300.
Its so absurd how the Neo G9 is priced in different countries!

In Australia, the original G9 was released in 2020 at $2999 AU but then dropped to $2499 AU even today.

Then Neo G9 is just released here for the same price as the original G9 release at $2999 AU. Which is only $500 AU ($350USD) more than what the 2020 G9 is today. Yet in US, the Neo G9 costs $2500USD which equals $3400 AU.

Its completely abnormal for electronics and hardware to be cheaper in Australia than the US.

Looks pretty good given the reviews, just wish there was a smaller option, it looks too wide. A 34" option would probably be the sweet spot.

Btw Tim from Hardware unboxed has replied directly to this HDR + dimming issue on a reddit thread here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidem...indings_after_a_full_weekend_with_the_neo_g9/

Check the gold post.

He said he has contacted Samsung about this issue, here I am hoping Samsung actually can and do something about it.
That's absolutely insane that a $2500 monitor has a critical flaw like that. I really hope it gets addressed soon. Good luck to the early adopters.

Btw Tim from Hardware unboxed has replied directly to this HDR + dimming issue on a reddit thread here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidem...indings_after_a_full_weekend_with_the_neo_g9/

Check the gold post.

He said he has contacted Samsung about this issue, here I am hoping Samsung actually can and do something about it.
I would not be surprised if it's just a driver issue. Nvidia drivers have had several fixes for issues specifically related to the original G9, things like 240 Hz not working etc.

I would not be surprised if it's just a driver issue. Nvidia drivers have had several fixes for issues specifically related to the original G9, things like 240 Hz not working etc.
Yeah but how can such a massive flaw like this even be released.

I mean you can't use HDR togrther with FALD correctly yet, that is like one of the biggest reasons to get this monitor yeah? Like wtf samsung, are u srs?

Yeah but how can such a massive flaw like this even be released.

I mean you can't use HDR togrther with FALD correctly yet, that is like one of the biggest reasons to get this monitor yeah? Like wtf samsung, are u srs?
It's possible that Nvidia just recently broke it and it worked fine before that. I mean they broke my Club3D DP to HDMI 2.1 adapter functionality for about 3 months not all that long ago.

But one of the owners on reddit demonstrated the same issue with their PS5.

Jesus christ the monitor market is such garbage.

We need to Macgyver our own HardForum monitor.

Also, displayninja review is out. They also acknowledge the HDR issue.
Slightly off-topic but I wouldn't put too much stock in DisplayNinja reviews. If you look at their content, you'll notice the reviews lack any charts of the purported measurements mentioned or any mention of testing equipment/methodology. I've looked at multiple reviews and never see original photos by the reviewer as well. All the photos are just from press releases/marketing materials.

Slightly off-topic but I wouldn't put too much stock in DisplayNinja reviews. If you look at their content, you'll notice the reviews lack any charts of the purported measurements mentioned or any mention of testing equipment/methodology. I've looked at multiple reviews and never see original photos by the reviewer as well. All the photos are just from press releases/marketing materials.
Yea I kind of just realised that now, it was a pretty generic review.

But somehow they seem to measure input lag themself.

Anyways, I did not know they were a generic reviewer.

DisplayNinja afaik straight up rips off content from other sites. They should be avoided.

Jesus christ the monitor market is such garbage.

We need to Macgyver our own HardForum monitor.
I can't remember the guy's name (edit: found his website), but I recall someone doing that a few years back. They designed a custom PCB to be used with certain panels to have a quality low-lag high refresh rate monitor beyond what was available from consumer monitors at the time. I recall he even got as far as selling kits. Not sure what ever happened to that, but obviously it wasn't all that successful.

The problem is the panels are very expensive to develop and manufacture and nobody is macgyvering a panel so you're always going to be limited by the shortcomings of the panels you can buy from the suppliers.

I can't remember the guy's name (edit: found his website), but I recall someone doing that a few years back. They designed a custom PCB to be used with certain panels to have a quality low-lag high refresh rate monitor beyond what was available from consumer monitors at the time. I recall he even got as far as selling kits. Not sure what ever happened to that, but obviously it wasn't all that successful.

The problem is the panels are very expensive to develop and manufacture and nobody is macgyvering a panel so you're always going to be limited by the shortcomings of the panels you can buy from the suppliers.
Zisworks controller allowed fairly mundane TV panels to deliver 4K 120 Hz refresh rates etc. years before such a thing was in a regular manufacturer's monitor. That's super cool. I would be all for this sort of stuff because most monitors leave you wanting on some area whether it's OSD options or behavior or bugs etc. Unfortunately there isn't a business for it because there's maybe 0.5% of owners of a compatible display who would be willing to open it up, tear it down and install a new controller in there.

The monitor market is indeed shit where you often have to wait for the next gen model to fix the issues of the previous gen because using the same software and just iterating on it seems to be somehow a foreign idea for monitor manufacturers. TVs are a little bit better but generally also shit as they want to sell next year's model so some features don't get added to previous models because they don't want to maintain anything but the latest iteration.

Samsung had a great idea with their One Connect box that you could just buy an upgrade for the brain of the TV and replace the One Connect box to install it. They scratched that idea pretty quickly, most likely due to lack of popularity and not being a driver of TV sales. It's another great, well engineered idea down the drain. I love the external box on my KS8000 because I don't have to try to figure out how to hook things up to the back of a TV since the box is right there for easy access. My LG C9 and CX are way worse in this regard with HDMI cables poking out the sides and back.

Zisworks controller allowed fairly mundane TV panels to deliver 4K 120 Hz refresh rates etc. years before such a thing was in a regular manufacturer's monitor. That's super cool. I would be all for this sort of stuff because most monitors leave you wanting on some area whether it's OSD options or behavior or bugs etc. Unfortunately there isn't a business for it because there's maybe 0.5% of owners of a compatible display who would be willing to open it up, tear it down and install a new controller in there.

The monitor market is indeed shit where you often have to wait for the next gen model to fix the issues of the previous gen because using the same software and just iterating on it seems to be somehow a foreign idea for monitor manufacturers. TVs are a little bit better but generally also shit as they want to sell next year's model so some features don't get added to previous models because they don't want to maintain anything but the latest iteration.

Samsung had a great idea with their One Connect box that you could just buy an upgrade for the brain of the TV and replace the One Connect box to install it. They scratched that idea pretty quickly, most likely due to lack of popularity and not being a driver of TV sales. It's another great, well engineered idea down the drain. I love the external box on my KS8000 because I don't have to try to figure out how to hook things up to the back of a TV since the box is right there for easy access. My LG C9 and CX are way worse in this regard with HDMI cables poking out the sides and back.

My 3yr old Q9FN TV has a box with an optical lead to the display.
There never was a replacement upgrade for this despite it being possible.
ie the screen does 1440p120Hz so it is a 120Hz panel. It should be capable of 4K120.
They could have made a lot more money and company goodwill.

My 3yr old Q9FN TV has a box with an optical lead to the display.
There never was a replacement upgrade for this despite it being possible.
ie the screen does 1440p120Hz so it is a 120Hz panel. It should be capable of 4K120.
They could have made a lot more money and company goodwill.
I'm sure their beancounters determined that they could NOT make a lot more money from them and that's why it was discontinued. I agree it could have been a perk for Samsung if you could just upgrade your old TVs to support HDMI 2.1 for example.

Just got mine, quick test. Only had about 15mins to stuff around with it.

SDR does indeed look stunning.
20210812-224904.jpg

I tried HDR out quickly.
Standard seems a bit dimm when activated, but I don't notice washed out effect like everyone says they are experiencing, well atleast I don't think I do.

Dynamic seems more bright as per reviews, and I don't notice weird color tones, or atleast I don't think I have yet.

Here is a quick snap shot of HDR Dynamic Auto Dimming:
20210812-224656.jpg
Sorry that shot was with NVCP vibrancy at 57%. I like to make my colors popp. But anyways, I don't think it is at all washed out currently.

Will test out further over the weekend.

Initial impressions, very good looking panel, even SDR looks extremly good! I need to do more testing in HDR.

And the speed/response is very bloody fast too, I don't notice any ghost, smearing, overshoot etc. Definitely the fastest VA panel I used. My previous VA panel was the Aorus FV43U, and that thing is left in the dust by the response of this NEO G9.

Really curious about opinions between this monitor and LG's OLED offerings (C9/CX/C1 mainly)

Really curious about opinions between this monitor and LG's OLED offerings (C9/CX/C1 mainly)
For me (having both), different uses. I can't stand a TV-sized screen for a normal use computer - they're great for gaming and movies, but tend to be less useful for actual productivity work. The G9 series is spectacular at productivity work, and is good to very good at gaming (with some caveats - if a game doesn't know what to do with the resolution/FOV, things can get weird).

I would skip everything for now. Samsung has QD-OLED monitors in development at around 32-35 inches that is likely coming late this year or 2022. Just in time to compare against LG 42 inch WOLED

Problem with any OLED, even Samsungs, will be max HDR brightness will be left wanting.

I would skip everything for now. Samsung has QD-OLED monitors in development at around 32-35 inches that is likely coming late this year or 2022. Just in time to compare against LG 42 inch WOLED
What? The only QD-OLED panels they have going into production late 2021 are 55/65"+ in size set to be released next year. 0 chance they put out a monitor.

Their QD-OLED's are also rumored to be far less bright than a WOLED since the white sub pixel was primarily responsible for boosting brightness.

Problem with any OLED, even Samsungs, will be max HDR brightness will be left wanting.
Max brightness sucks on OLED, but point brightness and absolute contrast destroys any LCD tech. Max brightness is important, but for HDR, point brightness is king.

Really curious about opinions between this monitor and LG's OLED offerings (C9/CX/C1 mainly.
I also have the CX48.

Will definitely be comparing and give my opinion over the weekend.

So far, the image quality of this unit is very damm close to that of my CX, the only thing I think the CX is better in is obviously the blacks.

Also, it's a bit weird getting use to the drop in vertical height.

33-35" QD-OLED monitors? Sign me up, because until MiniLED displays can get the blooming under control with >10,000 dimming zones, their extra high brightness means nothing to me.
They will be 60hz "professional" displays. Very very low chance it will be suitable for gaming.

They will be 60hz "professional" displays. Very very low chance it will be suitable for gaming.

Bah what is with professional displays and 60Hz? Even the Asus PA32UCG is a 120Hz FALD display with VRR despite the "ProArt" naming....come on Samsung.

Bah what is with professional displays and 60Hz? Even the Asus PA32UCG is a 120Hz FALD display with VRR despite the "ProArt" naming....come on Samsung.
I want to be optimistic but besides the fact that I don't think such a display will exist until 2023, the possibility of them catering to what is likely their smallest market (gamers) right out of the gate with a new panel technology is basically 0%.

Back