New Samsung Odyssey G9 with MiniLED announced

Wow, u also got the PG32UQX?

So u can compare the Neo G9, PG32UQX and the CX all together side by side.

There is ppl crying out there that even one of those displays is too expensive. You baller!

I also have the CX, and like him I am a bit worried about the teeny weeny vertical height on the Neo G9. I think it is just too small, but then again it might make the difference horizontally?

I love my CX for gaming, it looks very immersive to me, there is no real need to change it besides going for something with a better peak brightness. So I am reluctant to get the Neo G9 to replace the CX because of its super small veritcal height, but it is still so very tempting with it's mouth watering specs.
I own a Samsung CRG9 and a CX 48".

The CX is absolutely great for gaming and since it's a 4K 16:9 you never run into form factor issues. With the super ultrawides there's a lot of games that support the resolution just fine but their FOV implementation causes severe distortion at the edges, making the full aspect ratio less useful. Then there's games that just don't support it or need INI file tweaks or 3rd party patchers to make it work. Control is a good example, the engine has no trouble with the res but it's just not available in the menus. A 3rd party patch lets you play it just fine and it's actually completely without FOV distortion in that situation so it works really great and makes the game feel less claustrophobic compared to 16:9.

If you want to try the experience, add a custom resolution of 3840x1080 to the CX. Then you can run in 32:9. Obviously it's too narrow vertically in comparison to 5120x1440 and since the TV has no curve it just feels wrong, but lets you get an idea of how the games you play work with the full aspect ratio. Another resolution you can try is 3840x1440 as this would give you a slightly narrower version of the super ultrawide. This actually maps pretty reasonably well to how the G9 will be vertically but again, lack of curvature makes it less than perfect.

For desktop use I prefer the super ultrawide aspect ratio. Scaling is not necessary and it's easier to set up two large windows side by side for video watching and web browsing for example. I would normally run with 3 windows side by side for work with virtual desktops. On the CX that has changed to a more grid like configuration which I don't like as much personally.

Personally I don't really need all that much above 1440 or 1600 pixels height for the things I do. That has enough room for comfortable reading and viewing. Most of the time on the desktop for personal use I just have a few browser windows open that are about 1600 pixels tall and I use probably 2/3 of my CX's desktop space at 125% scaling with 1m viewing distance.

In the ultrawide form factors I think that 3840x1600 is a pretty great sweet spot, it's a shame that there is no good HDR option for that tho.

I'll also add- depending on how far away you sit, I tend to use scaling for text/etc on a 4k screen (since most are, well, larger, and thus you're farther away). No need on a C9. It's designed for stock scaling. You get a LOT of use out of that vertical space.

Attachments

• 87E49B34-430E-4708-80EB-211F1879D670.jpeg
    87E49B34-430E-4708-80EB-211F1879D670.jpeg
    436.3 KB · Views: 0
LMAO you guys that think the 48cx trump the PG32UQX are smoking crack!

Im a diehard oled fan...have a C177 in the living room and 55c9 in guest bedroom and i could not sell my 48cx fast enough once i experienced the full potential of the PEEGEE

Anyway definitely interested in user reviews in this Yugo Geo #9....im sitting it out but doing my [H] duty elsewhere with Varjo VR-3 order

Im a diehard oled fan...have a C177 in the living room and 55c9 in guest bedroom and i could not sell my 48cx fast enough once i experienced the full potential of the PEEGEE

Anyway definitely interested in user reviews in this Yugo Geo #9....im sitting it out but doing my [H] duty elsewhere with Varjo VR-3 order
Somewhat different uses, since one is a 48” TV and the other is a 32” monitor…? I use them for different things.

Nah I don't think it's as black and white as that since each has its pros and cons. It's just the cons of the PG32 (pixel response and bloom) are so bad that any advantage in HDR brightness it had over my CX didn't matter.

It made my eyes bleed scrolling light colored text on dark mode/dark reader backgrounds due to all the smear. Not only that but I realized outside of specific highlights the peak brightness didn't really present itself often in games and when it did was a detriment to PQ due to bloom.

It's a awesome monitor don't get me wrong but like I said for me it's redundant with a CX in the same room since I don't play tons of shooters.

Nah I don't think it's as black and white as that since each has its pros and cons. It's just the cons of the PG32 (pixel response and bloom) are so bad that any advantage in HDR brightness it had over my CX didn't matter.

It made my eyes bleed scrolling light colored text on dark mode/dark reader backgrounds due to all the smear. Not only that but I realized outside of specific highlights the peak brightness didn't really present itself often in games and when it did was a detriment to PQ due to bloom.

It's a awesome monitor don't get me wrong but like I said for me it's redundant with a CX in the same room since I don't play tons of shooters.

Current Fald is not designed to be used on desktop like that...its for viewing HDR content, thats like trying to hammer a nail with an AR15.....man don't even get me started on how shitty the 48cx was to use for desktop & productivity work lol.

To each their own, but the 48cx was far, far, far from ideal. To me its drawbacks were far worse than the PeeGee

Anyway...back to the Neo G9 discussions.

Yeah that video really demonstrates how much more effective the FALD is compared to the PG32UQX.

PG.png
G9.png

I just pre-ordered one....WTF is wrong with me ROFL!
I was on the pre-order site just staring at the screen. What's ultimately stopping me is the 1440 height. I saw the old G9 in person and I can't get over that aspect of the display. 1600 would've been more acceptable in my mind.

Why is he going to hate it?
Like me he's hesitant about the vertical resolution and size. I need to try it myself to come to a conclusion though and it helps that it was $1800 from Samsung direct after .edu discount and referral code and cash back and selling the headset it comes with. That's less than what people paid for a PG35VQ/X35 last year and this is more screen, more refresh rate, 4x the zone count and 2x as bright as well as way faster in pixel response. I know it sounds dumb to consider it a value proposition but in the current monitor market it kind of is (if you can get it in stock from Samsung).

Also since I will be using this with a LG OLED above it, I hate curved/flat mixture because once your eyes get used to curved, the flat displays look like they are bending outward and is super awkward.

Like me he's hesitant about the vertical resolution and size. I need to try it myself to come to a conclusion though and it helps that it was $1800 from Samsung direct after .edu discount and referral code and cash back and selling the headset it comes with. That's less than what people paid for a PG35VQ/X35 last year and this is more screen, more refresh rate, 4x the zone count and 2x as bright as well as way faster in pixel response. I know it sounds dumb to consider it a value proposition but in the current monitor market it kind of is (if you can get it in stock from Samsung).

Also since I will be using this with a LG OLED above it, I hate curved/flat mixture because once your eyes get used to curved, the flat displays look like they are bending outward and is super awkward.
When does yours arrive socali, haha my trigger finger is itching badly to order this myself before hearing anymore reviews lol

You are going to hate it. I hope you bought from BB so you can throw it back at them within 4 hours of unboxing.
I did, for that reason....just incase haha.

My 32PeeGeeYouQex doubles as work display on adjustable desk to the left....but my second rig runs the monitor on the circular marble parlor table there to the right....currently there is a PG27UQ on that table which feels mighty small....I mean its like the G9 Neo was built for that circle table lol

My mental math goes like this....Sold 48CX, returned X38, returned Vive Pro 2 = Try G9 Neo lol
1628040022297.png

What did you not like about the CX and also the Vive Pro 2?

CX pros
- Oled I love oled

CX cons
- too dim, not enough nits
- lame HDR
- PPI to low & screen to large for comfortable productivity work
- 120hz is ten year old tech

RE Vive Pro 2:
The glare, god rays, parallax, narrow feeling vertical height and reports that G2 had better sweet spot and clarity. I already have an HP G2 so it was a choice between G2 and Pro 2, I chose to keep the G2 and put the pro 2 money towards the Varjo VR-3…but of course that has not happened yet as HTC is taking over three weeks to refund me now since receiving the pro 2…
https://hardforum.com/threads/buyer-beware-htc-vive-over-one-month-for-refund.2012489/

CX pros
- Oled I love oled

CX cons
- too dim, not enough nits
- lame HDR
- PPI to low & screen to large for comfortable productivity work
- 120hz is ten year old tech

I already have an HP G2 so it was a choice between G2 and Pro 2, I chose to keep the G2 and put the pro 2 money towards the Varjo VR-3…but of course that has not happened yet as HTC is taking over three weeks to refund me now since receiving the pro 2…
https://hardforum.com/threads/buyer-beware-htc-vive-over-one-month-for-refund.2012489/

I am baffeled you say the CX has lame HDR. Mind saying in which way you think it is lame? Just the peak brightness or something else?

I think that it has very good HDR quality besides the peak brightness ofcourse, but even at the 700-800 nits it is I think the CX is plenty bright enough.

About the Vive Pro 2, interesting that you decided to keep the G2. Because I also have the G2 and was kind of planning to trade it in for a VP2 because I thought it might be better? The G2 is nice, but I find it gets very blurry unless you stare directly into the centre of the lens which really bothered me because my eyes like to dart around all over the screen. And one of the VP2 reviews I saw directly against a G2, they said the VP2 has much better edge to edge clarity, that was what got me very interested in it.

I am baffeled you say the CX has lame HDR. Mind saying in which way you think it is lame? Just the peak brightness or something else?

I think that it has very good HDR quality besides the peak brightness ofcourse, but even at the 700-800 nits it is I think the CX is plenty bright enough.

About the Vive Pro 2, interesting that you decided to keep the G2. Because I also have the G2 and was kind of planning to trade it in for a VP2 because I thought it might be better? The G2 is nice, but I find it gets very blurry unless you stare directly into the centre of the lens which really bothered me because my eyes like to dart around all over the screen. And one of the VP2 reviews I saw directly against a G2, they said the VP2 has much better edge to edge clarity, that was what got me very interested in it.
I compared the CX head to head vs the PG32UQX in HDR. The PeeGee absolutely dismantled the CX in HDR content. HDR on the PeeGee feels special, magical....its hoohumm on the CX in comparison. The CX is miles better than shitty HDR400 monitors for sure, but not in the same league as PeeGee.

I have the same issue with G2, its sweet spot is not big enough for my liking. Also, I don't like the fresnel rings / glare on the G2 as I can notice both in games like MSFS and its annoying. Night time flying is particularly distracting with rings & glare.

From reviewers and users I trust, it looks like the VP2 has even worse glare than the G2, and it has parallax issues, and several reports say its sweet spot is even worse than the G2. So my choice was sell the G2 for what $400 and keep the VP2, or return the VP2 and get my $850 back. Once I saw reviews on the Varjo VR-3, I decided to get my $850 back and apply that towards the varjo.
1628050986033.png

Anyway back to the G9 neo...for me, it is competing against the PG27 for the spot on the second rig....so far the videos of its FALD dimming look very, very impressive.

Last edited:
This dude has been making more vids...so far more helpful then any of the other Youtube Taste maker jerkoffs

I compared the CX head to head vs the PG32UQX in HDR. The PeeGee absolutely dismantled the CX in HDR content. HDR on the PeeGee feels special, magical....its hoohumm on the CX in comparison. The CX is miles better than shitty HDR400 monitors for sure, but not in the same league as PeeGee.

I have the same issue with G2, its sweet spot is not big enough for my liking. Also, I don't like the fresnel rings / glare on the G2 as I can notice both in games like MSFS and its annoying. Night time flying is particularly distracting with rings & glare.

Please tell me how does the PG dismantles the CX? Vibrancy, color, blacks, motion, or any other characterisitic of it? The only way I can imagine the PG killing the CX is by it's brightness, maybe that's all that is needed? I don't know, so very keen to hear your reasoning why it kills the CX in HDR gaming?

I was very keen on the PG until I heard of its slow arse response times.

Please tell me how does the PG dismantles the CX? Vibrancy, color, blacks, motion, or any other characterisitic of it? The only way I can imagine the PG killing the CX is by it's brightness, maybe that's all that is needed? I don't know, so very keen to hear your reasoning why it kills the CX in HDR gaming?

I was very keen on the PG until I heard of its slow arse response times.
Welcome to my ignore list....say hi to elvyn while your there, hes been there a long while!

Mmmaybe you might not wanna say hi to him...that dude never shuts up

Last edited:

I am seriously impressed with this thing. Samsung needs to make a 4k version that's at least 32 inch with the response time speed of the G7 and I would totally be in for one.

On the record -- I also think LCD has a few decades in a leapfrog war with OLED and MicroLED displays. So many diametrically opposed pros/cons of each of these respective technologies.

OLED has better color and much faster GtG pixel response, but...

There is unfortunately a law of physics issue called Talbot-Plateau Theorem that hurts OLED HDR and sufficiently-bright OLED motion blur reduction algorithms at the moment -- It makes it easier to do HDR on FALD-backlit displays than OLED displays. Yes, LCD response times are a ****ing ***** but, is sometimes fully hideable (amazing VR LCDs with zero crosstalk -- like the ones you've seen). Strobed OLED tend to still have more motion blur than the top-tuned strobed LCDs.

And OLED seems it can't do HDR as easily to the 2000-to-10,000nit leagues. I saw the Sony 10,000-nit prototype. Yes 10,000-nit HDR. And it was an LCD.

Recently, BOE China put 10,000 LEDs behind a desktop LCD, and I've heard of plans to put 100,000 LEDs in a FALD desktop gaming monitor later this decade. The low 1000-LED counts will be 3-figure priced gaming monitors before the end of the century, so cheap FALD FTW.

Direct-view MicroLED (24M subpixels for 4K) will be a savior to both LCD and OLED, but for now that's a dream at consumer prices. Today, for now, a 10,000-LED FALD backlight for LCD is cheaper (in China at least) than a monitor-sized OLED sheet at the moment. Even 3072-LED JumboTron lego panels (32x32 RGB LED matrixes = 1024x3 = 3072) are now available off Alibaba for less than $10 each in quantities, so FALD doesn't have to stay four-figured forever this decade.

Last edited:
On the record -- I also think LCD has a few decades in a leapfrog war with OLED and MicroLED displays. So many diametrically opposed pros/cons of each of these respective technologies.

OLED has better color and much faster GtG pixel response, but...

There is unfortunately a law of physics issue called Talbot-Plateau Theorem that hurts OLED HDR and sufficiently-bright OLED motion blur reduction algorithms at the moment -- It makes it easier to do HDR on FALD-backlit displays than OLED displays. Yes, LCD response times are a ****ing ***** but, is sometimes fully hideable (amazing VR LCDs with zero crosstalk -- like the ones you've seen). Strobed OLED tend to still have more motion blur than the top-tuned strobed LCDs.

And OLED seems it can't do HDR as easily to the 2000-to-10,000nit leagues. I saw the Sony 10,000-nit prototype. Yes 10,000-nit HDR. And it was an LCD.

Recently, BOE China put 10,000 LEDs behind a desktop LCD, and I've heard of plans to put 100,000 LEDs in a FALD desktop gaming monitor later this decade. The low 1000-LED counts will be 3-figure priced gaming monitors before the end of the century, so cheap FALD FTW.

Direct-view MicroLED (24M subpixels for 4K) will be a savior to both LCD and OLED, but for now that's a dream at consumer prices. Today, for now, a 10,000-LED FALD backlight for LCD is cheaper (in China at least) than a monitor-sized OLED sheet at the moment. Even 3072-LED JumboTron lego panels (32x32 RGB LED matrixes = 1024x3 = 3072) are now available off Alibaba for less than $10 each in quantities, so FALD doesn't have to stay four-figured forever this decade.

This Neo G9 with "only" 2048 dimming zones already seems very impressive when it comes to FALD blooming. Is it because it's using a VA panel instead of IPS? Or has Samsung's local dimming algorithm just gotten that good? It's all being done without the gsync module as well.

This Neo G9 with "only" 2048 dimming zones already seems very impressive when it comes to FALD blooming. Is it because it's using a VA panel instead of IPS? Or has Samsung's local dimming algorithm just gotten that good? It's all being done without the gsync module as well.
Combination of both IMO. PG32UQX is terrible when it comes to it's FALD algorithm deciding what/when to dim, this Samsung appears to be much more refined. It only measures 2800:1 so it's not a huge leap in native contrast. The smaller area per zone also helps.

Fireworks AKA worst case scenario basically:

Combination of both IMO. PG32UQX is terrible when it comes to it's FALD algorithm deciding what/when to dim, this Samsung appears to be much more refined. It only measures 2800:1 so it's not a huge leap in native contrast. The smaller area per zone also helps.

Fireworks AKA worst case scenario basically:

Amazing...dammit Samsung why did your first awesome MiniLED monitor have to be a 32:9 1440p one?

Yea, If they put out a 43" or 50" 16:9. take my money please.
50" QN90A exists you know (448 FALD zones).

43" version supposodly exists in Korea. Maybe 2022 or 2023 we will see Samsung release a 43" version with miniLED state side.

50" QN90A exists you know (448 FALD zones).

43" version supposodly exists in Korea. Maybe 2022 or 2023 we will see Samsung release a 43" version with miniLED state side.

Yea but I would prefer DP input since I don't have a HDMI 2.1 receiver yet (they're beginning to hit the shelves now but a lot of the early unit still have hiccups with implementation). This way, I can DP to the monitor and use the HDMI for audio only to my receiver. eARC on the Samsung does not support some older format (I found out using my Laptop's HDMI 2.1 to my Q90T then eARC back to my current receiver).

Way too many people in this thread giving in. That's 3-4 people so far.

Back