New Samsung Ad Attacks Apple for 10 years of inferior iPhones

There was a story somewhere and I think I talked about it here on HardOCP a few weeks ago, maybe 3 weeks, not sure. Anyways, this was a real story, I double checked to make sure it wasn't fake news. I'm sure some of you read it. But some girl in NYC bought the iPhone 8 plus or whatever and over the course of 5 days dropped the phone 3 times. Her friend blogged about all of this, a co-worker that actually dropped the phone and in 5 day's she lost about 4K grand out the window ... for a fucking iPhone that's made out of glass.

Yeah, Apple is just terrible, all their products are way over priced and the branding, message they send, to me it's all just cringe worthy. To listen to that Jonny Ives guy talk I just want to club seals all day long somewhere.

The iPhone phone dialer app is the biggest piece of shit. It took iOS 11 to add the ; , 2 second pause and wait timers when creating a contact.
For work, I occasionally need to save a conference call into my contact list by first entering the phone number, then adding a "wait" timer before auto entering the conference line ID. Its much easier to do this on a Samsung phone. I believe it was impossible to do this before iOS 11.

The phone dialer on Samsung phones have a much better interface. For instance, I can speed search through my contacts directly on the number pad itself, either by using T9 or entering the first few digits of the phone number.
T9 is a much faster way to pull up someone from your contact list.

If you start typing in a phone number on an iPhone numberpad, it doesn't bring up any recently dialed numbers.

Also, the iPhone "recent" list doesn't give you much information - they don't give you the call duration of each call, nor the actual date of the call timestamp. Yup, I actually find this information useful on my work phone.

The iPhone dialer has poorly designed interface. I know someone is gonna say "nope, not an issue for me, haven't had a single problem calling people on my iPhone", but they're just too dumbed down to realize how much better it can be. Yes, the iPhone dialer works, it gets the job done. But its a basic piece of shit that's outdated and I wish these iPhone users would understand that. Apple seriously needs to copy the Samsung phone dialer interface. When will they will do it? In the next decade?
I've used both Samsung Galaxy phones and Apple iPhones for work for a few years, and the iPhone dialer interface is a huge pet peeve of mine.

I also can't believe it took Apple this long to implement wireless charging on their phones. Even my Palm (HP) Pixi from 2011 had wireless charging. I know they made aftermarket wireless charging for previous generation iPhones, but they worked like complete shit (This device may not be supported, tap Dismiss).

Last edited:
Yea but every part of the ad is true. Samsung had micro SD card slots, pen input, wireless charging, waterproof, curved screen, all those things before apple. It still has a headphone jack. Explain where the ad gets it wrong

The part where I hate android. And don't care what google/Samsung/android offer.

The ad covers the hardware differences more than the OS differences if people are paying attention (of course they're not) so literally Android vs iOS is not even part of the comparisons but people miss that because they're not paying attention. With respect to the aspects in the video from start to finish:

First aspect: not enough storage on the iPhone to take pics - Samsung devices (save for the original Galaxy Nexus) have used microSD for most all models/series (hardware)

Second aspect: informational input on the iPhone was and has been software keyboard only - Samsung Note models introduced a proper working and highly functional stylus in addition to the traditional software keyboard but obviously that's just barely scratching the surface (pun intended) of what using the Note's stylus is capable of doing (hardware)

Third aspect: iPhones until recently did not have any type of water-resistance at all - Samsung devices have it across a wider spectrum but introduced it with the Galaxy S4 Active in June 2013 (hardware)

Fourth aspect: iPhones stopped coming with traditional 1/8" aka 3.5mm headphone jacks with Apple claiming (in the past) it prevented them from being able to make the devices water-resistant - Samsung has continued to include the headphone jack and had water-resistance with that Galaxy S4 Active over 4 years ago and still does (hardware)

Fifth aspect: iPhones just now with the 8 series and the X introduced wireless charging - Samsung devices have had that aspect for many years now as many other manufacturer's devices have - in the video the point being made is that not only have Samsung devices had wireless charging but also because they have headphone jacks the need for dongles that allow for simultaneous listening/charging has never been a necessity (hardware)

Sixth aspect: not really relevant I suppose but I think they were trying to make a point with the scene of the person featured in the video "growing up" and realizing that in their youth ~10 years ago they probably had plenty of free time to be able to stand in a line with friends or whatever and actually wait for potentially days to get something cool and hip because it was new but as the person matured and "grew up" they've come to understand they have more important things to do with their life than waste it in line waiting for yet another of the same old same old for the most part

That's my take on it and as I said earlier I like the ad, not that my opinion on it or my interpretation of it means anything to anybody else.

tl;dr It's not an Android vs iOS commercial

Except for the entire interface and fundamental utility.

Sure, apple is strait up copying android.

another20android20prptotype202008-11352339.jpeg

where can i get this beautiful device???

Anyways, after some time with both an S7 and now an iphone 8, I miss physical buttons even more. Apple's OS behavior choices are even more random and annoying than google's. I've had to do a search for every little thing. Such as removing the San Liberalia city from the weather app: Medium press to highlight then drag slightly to the left, and it should show an option to remove... sometimes... but don't accidentally hard press or swipe down, that will open it. Want to go back in an app? Well depending on the screen its "cancel" or a little arrow in the upper left, or "done" or "cancel" in the upper right, or swipe, or sometimes you just have to hit the button in the middle. Ugh. Refer to my sig.

Apple will always be second place because of their cluttered ass home screen. Apple tries so hard to be one size fits all, and it sucks for us that like to customize things to suit our uses.

As I've said before, iPhones are now fashion accessories/status indicators more than innovative pieces of tech.

Apple tries so hard to be one size fits all, and it sucks for us that like to customize things to suit our uses.
And for a lot of people that's all they want. Not everyone is a power user, they don't load up a ton of apps and they certainly don't use the devices to the extent that many of us here use them. Most people use them as nothing more than a glorified phone that just so happens to be a mobile computer as well whereas many of us here look at smart phones as if they are mobile computers that just so happen to make phone calls too.

And for a lot of people that's all they want. Not everyone is a power user, they don't load up a ton of apps and they certainly don't use the devices to the extent that many of us here use them. Most people use them as nothing more than a glorified phone that just so happens to be a mobile computer as well whereas many of us here look at smart phones as if they are mobile computers that just so happen to make phone calls too.
That's the thing, I only use mine for browsing, texting, streaming and calling. That's it. That's all I need on my home screen, not the rest of my 50 apps that I use one off. I get apple has folders but it just isn't the same as just keeping an app drawer, and keeping that home screen clean looking.

That's the thing, I only use mine for browsing, texting, streaming and calling. That's it. That's all I need on my home screen, not the rest of my 50 apps that I use one off. I get apple has folders but it just isn't the same as just keeping an app drawer, and keeping that home screen clean looking.
Oh yeah, I admit that it would be nice to get rid of the stuff that I don't use on my iPhone and remove said icons. Trust me, there's a lot of things that I would love to change about iOS but despite the so-called "issues" iOS still gets the job done for the needs that I have and in the end that's all that matters (or at least it should be all that matters).

Tangent:

I wonder, has anyone here tried iDroid on Apple phones? Is it truly native Android running on Apple phones or something half assed?

Is it kept up to date with security patches?

I could totally see myself using Apple hardware if I could ditch iOS and it's walled garden approach. Apple DOES have by far the fastest mobile chips.

It's a simple process to move infrequently used icons to a different screen and leaving only the ones you want on the main iOS screen. I'm surprised people commenting in this thread haven't figured that out by now.

The recent calls list *does* have timestamp and length of call. Press the "i" next to the call entry. "i" stands for information (about the call), presumably. When I used android phones having all that information on the main dialer screen cluttered it up with information that I rarely cared to look at. Other than the date, which is on the main screen in iOS, I don't care to see how long the call was. If I'm curious it's not a problem to see the duration by pushing the "i" and, in fact, my opinion is that it's better since I'd like to see all the calls' durations and not just the most recent in so far as I care about a call's duration. I'll chalk the location up to personal taste, fine, but to say iOS doesn't have the information is factually incorrect.

One thing I absolutely love about Android that I will not be able to give up is the standardized back button.

No matter what app you are using, or where you are in the menus, back is still in the same place.

Now, it's been a while since I used an Apple phone (last one was my iPhone 4 I got rid of 5 years ago) but at least back then, going back was in a different place all the time making you search around for it. Pain in the ass.

Also, the quick switching between apps by double tapping the square menu button is a feature I love and use all the time.

More than anything else though, I hate Apples walled garden approach, the fact that their security updates are infrequent, their bug process is opaque, thatthe seem more concerned with style than with substance and that everything is tied in through iTunes.

I was ecstatic when I got rid of my iPhone 4 5 years ago and could finally uninstall iTunes and the Apple update software from my computer once and for all.

iOS hasn't required iTunes for years now. Even before Apple made the change, it was only necessary for activating the phone. I haven't known anyone to use a local music library for well over 5 years now. I haven't opened my iTunes library for longer than that...not even sure why I waste the hundreds of gigs of space on my drive anymore, to be honest.

iOS hasn't required iTunes for years now. Even before Apple made the change, it was only necessary for activating the phone. I haven't known anyone to use a local music library for well over 5 years now. I haven't opened my iTunes library for longer than that...not even sure why I waste the hundreds of gigs of space on my drive anymore, to be honest.

Ah, back when I had my original iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 4, you needed iTunes in order to sync and back up your phone. That was the only reason I kept it installed.

I used it so infrequently, that literally every time I opened the program I had to sit through its lengthy upgrade process.

good enough is not good enough.

The next frontier is to take all the power of a core i7, and squeeze it into a smartphone. I want a core i7 7700hq and gtx1080, in a 5.9" phone.

The next frontier is to take all the power of a core i7, and squeeze it into a smartphone. I want a core i7 7700hq and gtx1080, in a 5.9" phone.

... and provide a device that makes use of a proper friction-less docking station (using POGO pin connection pads) that charges wireless very quickly and can make use of multiple peripherals including mice, keyboards, displays, printers, or any number of such devices in either a wired or wireless capacity without causing headaches and increased frustration for the end user.

Bring me that kind of device, that does all that, and THAT I would probably be willing to pay $1,000 for. ;)

Back