New Samsung 4k for everyone.

I tried HDMI 2, with the exactly same settings as HDMI 1, Game Mode enabled, but the inputlag is huge.
Does anyone knows why ??
JS9000 48 inches
Thank you

In the event that anyone IS looking at buying a KS9000, right now there is a promo where you get a free 40" LED HDTV with it (ends 5/7/16).

Curious to see the differences between the JS9000 and the KS9000 models. Hopefully the KS models have better performances.

Long story, but my HMDI source (Mac Pro) does not include audio (video only), though it does have an optical (TOSLINK) out. If I hook up my source to my speakers (Samsung soundbar) using a TOSLINK cable, how do I get the TV (48JS9000) to recognise that HDMI 1's audio is being sent directly to the soundbar and adjust accordingly? Is this even an issue?

I also want to hook up a Bluray player (Samsung also). Assuming I hook it up to the HDMI ARC port of the TV, how would I send audio to the speakers/soundbar?

Long story, but my HMDI source (Mac Pro) does not include audio (video only), though it does have an optical (TOSLINK) out. If I hook up my source to my speakers (Samsung soundbar) using a TOSLINK cable, how do I get the TV (48JS9000) to recognise that HDMI 1's audio is being sent directly to the soundbar and adjust accordingly? Is this even an issue?

I also want to hook up a Bluray player (Samsung also). Assuming I hook it up to the HDMI ARC port of the TV, how would I send audio to the speakers/soundbar?

The HDMI ARC, should be used on the TV and the Soundbar. In the advanced sound settings, you'll select Receiver, or Soundbar, whatever it says.

Just bought a Hitachi 39" 720P to replace the one that died in the 37" master bedroom for $199 and looks perfectly fine to me.

Still use an old Olevia 747i on the side with the main rig, 4K still seems more a gimmick to me somewhat in general use, like SSD's were overpriced for years when they first came out.

But who am I to say really, if you think it is worth it.

I've spent more on audio than displays in the past probably over time really.

It's still amazing how well the 747i has held up and looks over the years.

The thing does weigh like a tank, around 140 lbs, was surprising how light the newer Hitachi was.

Last edited:
Wow I just can't find a winner here. Both the XB321HK and the JS8500 have pretty horrendous backlight bleed. I didn't think it was that bad on either until I flew a night mission in DCS. Now BOTH of them are going back. I think I'm going to go pickup a cheap TN and just wait for something better to come along... FML. This is retarded for the price of these displays. Especially the XB321HK. The backlight on the JS8500 was at 3 in that shot! The XB321HK was also low, set at 35 brightness.

XB321HK
View attachment 1932

JS8500
View attachment 1933
It sucks alright. You read all the reviews saying how great these sets are, measuring low black levels, talking about inky blacks etc. Then you play a dark game or watch a dark movie in a completely dark room and you realize how crappy the backlight truly is, with bleeding, blooming and clouding all over the place. I don't know if my set is a dud, if my standards are too high, if everyone else's standards are too low, or if they're all just watching crummy broadcasts in fully lit rooms.

Anyway I'm dreaming of OLED right now. Maybe this fall if there are any great deals on the LG B6 or C6, but most likely not until next year's generation (I would have no problem paying those prices if they were slam dunk, perfect, definitive sets, but they still seem to have some issues.)

The problem with OLED is the transition from dark to bright on each colour is far from linear so requires a lot of processing to make it linear.
At the moment processors used and the software are not fast enough to reduce the processing time (lag) to acceptable levels.
Its going to be a while before OLED TVs become a good PC display.
And they will be sure to milk it at first, expect to pay!

The problem with OLED is the transition from dark to bright on each colour is far from linear so requires a lot of processing to make it linear.
At the moment processors used and the software are not fast enough to reduce the processing time (lag) to acceptable levels.
Its going to be a while before OLED TVs become a good PC display.
And they will be sure to milk it at first, expect to pay!
HDTVTest reports 34ms in Game mode for this year's LGs which I think is on par with my Samsung in PC mode, anyway it would probably be good enough for me. Seems there's still a lot of near-black and uniformity issues though, as well as apparently HDR10 color issues, and the old specters of burn-in and lifespan, which is why it doesn't feel right to pay that much right now.

As you pointed out, they have economised on quality to achieve a faster response/lower lag.
A major point of OLED is to give the best black performance without obvious flaws.
Especially when you cant even get the best performance (with increased lag) for TV or movies where lag doesnt present a problem.
If it cant do either its not worth buying.

I have an urgent question which is going to basically decide which TV I buy, I hope someone here can answer it

Do these Samsung models (2015 or newer 2016) have an auto scene selection when connected to PC? With my current Sony, on auto scene mode, it will change to Game or Cinema if I start playing or load up XBMC etc.
This is a really useful feature for me, but I can't find any info on whether Samsung TVs (or any other brand for that matter aside from Sony) offer this.

In nvidia control panel selecting a content type will also cause the sony tv to change to that mode permanently, but I keep it on auto and it just switches when I start doing something else, its really handy

Qw3vnty.png

I have an urgent question which is going to basically decide which TV I buy, I hope someone here can answer it

Do these Samsung models (2015 or newer 2016) have an auto scene selection when connected to PC? With my current Sony, on auto scene mode, it will change to Game or Cinema if I start playing or load up XBMC etc.
This is a really useful feature for me, but I can't find any info on whether Samsung TVs (or any other brand for that matter aside from Sony) offer this.

In nvidia control panel selecting a content type will also cause the sony tv to change to that mode permanently, but I keep it on auto and it just switches when I start doing something else, its really handy
I don't think they use this feature, at least my 2015 model doesn't. What it does is that it changes to Movie mode if the frequency is lower than 60Hz, so for example if you auto-switch to 24Hz when watching movies the TV will switch to the correct mode as well.

There's no such option for games though, and it's also ridiculously cumbersome to switch to Game mode with the Samsungs. There's not a huge difference to PC mode though so I rarely bother and generally just leave it on PC.

I don't think they use this feature, at least my 2015 model doesn't. What it does is that it changes to Movie mode if the frequency is lower than 60Hz, so for example if you auto-switch to 24Hz when watching movies the TV will switch to the correct mode as well.

There's no such option for games though, and it's also ridiculously cumbersome to switch to Game mode with the Samsungs. There's not a huge difference to PC mode though so I rarely bother and generally just leave it on PC.

Ah I see, thanks for answering. I suppose I could configure a PC mode for general browsing, let it auto change to movie when it detects 24hz via XBMC etc, and them manually switch when i boot up a game. Grown so accustomed to that Sony auto switching though, it might actually sway my purchase lol.

Just bought the 60JU7000, also known as the 60JU7100 and so far I'm quite impressed with the TV. Great quality in both movies and games, and PC mode looks awesome when used as a monitor. Even the TV turns on quite quickly and the software is quite fast and responsive, compared to Sony which had the opposite effect. Haven't really discovered any groundbreaking flaws with this Samsung TV yet, but I can recommend it to everybody who wants this as either a monitor or TV.

Though Game Mode looks off as the colours are at 4:2:2, though it reduced the input lag, but the loss of colour in gaming is noticeable and I can't stand it.

Though Game Mode looks off as the colours are at 4:2:2, though it reduced the input lag, but the loss of colour in gaming is noticeable and I can't stand it.

I don't understand how, given the comparison photos that were posted way earlier in the thread showing that 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 looked pretty much identical in games. Are you absolutely sure that your picture settings are identical between PC and Game mode?

Either way if the increased input lag in PC mode doesn't bother you then it's a non-issue but to me, Game mode feels so refreshingly crisp and responsive after using other modes and I can't say I've ever noticed it looking significantly worse aside from red text.

In the event that anyone IS looking at buying a KS9000, right now there is a promo where you get a free 40" LED HDTV with it (ends 5/7/16).

I saw that when I was just shopping the other day, just throwing a 40" at you on the side looked pretty nice, but not that rich.

Wonder why they are giving out another free TV on those models a bit really.

Last edited:
that refurbed js9000 that broke before delivery last week? on its way back to me again. all that broke was the stand, and i was going to wall mount it anyways...
hopefully round 2 will go better.

side question, anyone know if the 50" JS7000 is the same as the 48" JS9000? ive got an extra one of those laying around that i can use until i wall mount this.

Do we have a chance to see One Connect Box with displayport, in the near future ?

Don't tease, I have a pet theory that the one connect cable is basically just a displayport-esque signal out with DC power/grounds in for the box and a few other basic controls...

The KS/2016 didn't use it though, unless some miracle happens in 2017 samsung flat-out lied about upgrades.

Don't tease, I have a pet theory that the one connect cable is basically just a displayport-esque signal out with DC power/grounds in for the box and a few other basic controls...

The KS/2016 didn't use it though, unless some miracle happens in 2017 samsung flat-out lied about upgrades.

The 2016 series only use the mini version too. The full One Connect from JS9000, etc. has been abandoned for the time being. Maybe it'll be resurrected with Samsung's OLEDs?...

I saw that when I was just shopping the other day, just throwing a 40" at you on the side looked pretty nice, but not that rich.

Wonder why they are giving out another free TV on those models a bit really.

Here they give a 40" HD with the smaller ones, and a 40" 4K (6000 or 6600) with the bigger ones.

that refurbed js9000 that broke before delivery last week? on its way back to me again. all that broke was the stand, and i was going to wall mount it anyways...
hopefully round 2 will go better.

side question, anyone know if the 50" JS7000 is the same as the 48" JS9000? ive got an extra one of those laying around that i can use until i wall mount this.

What do you mean "the same"? They are similar in that they both can be used as monitors but performance of the 7000 doesn't quite match up to the 9000.

Hell of a deal

Not sure I trust that place, judging by its online reviews.

Also, not sure quantum dots or a curve (which may actually prove to be a negative in all situations other than gaming) trump the FALD and HDR support of the Vizio.

But then, the only place you can get the Vizio right now is Best Buy, so that's a deal breaker for me at the moment. Dammit. :/

Hello guys, I have a problem with my UE40JU6572. After a long thinking I decided to buy it as a PC monitor because it is the last 40" curved TV to buy it seems. The problem is that HDMI 1 does not accept 4K signal at all and goes to no signal! When I poweron the pc I can see the screen UNTIL the windows login screen which is in 4K - then no signal. If I boot when having just fullHD 1080p then it works and signal is there. Increasing it in the Nvidia control panel to 4K causes no signal. Other HDMI inputs on TV work with 4K. Funny is that it works when I use DVI-D - HDMI cable to connect my GTX 970 from DVI-D to HDMI 1. Connection from HDMI to HDMI 1 causes no signal issue. What do you think can it be? Maybe too long HDMI cable? Or some GPU settings? Also when I disconnect the cable from HDMI 3 and plug it into HDMI 2 for example the signal is lost even when I change the source in remote control. I have to reboot the pc to make the TV get the signal again. This does not happen with the DVI-D HDMI cable - I can plug it to whichever HDMI input on a TV and signal goes through.

Not sure I trust that place, judging by its online reviews.

Also, not sure quantum dots or a curve (which may actually prove to be a negative in all situations other than gaming) trump the FALD and HDR support of the Vizio.

But then, the only place you can get the Vizio right now is Best Buy, so that's a deal breaker for me at the moment. Dammit. :/

BJs is like Sams Club or Costco, surprised you've never heard of them. Regardless any samsung 'authorized seller' is really just competing on price, same warranty regardless and you can buy 3rd party extended if you care.

I've yet to see a good picture proving the Vizio 2016 Ps are truly capable of being proper 4:4:4 PC monitors. The JS panels are superior to quite a few PC monitors, the curve has no downside to single users, hell it makes more sense for desktop use than living room.
As an HDR TV, I would probably pick Vizio right now though, and you can buy direct online. When they first announced there was a 5% discount on the site for first time accounts, cheaper than worst buy.

BJs is like Sams Club or Costco, surprised you've never heard of them. Regardless any samsung 'authorized seller' is really just competing on price, same warranty regardless and you can buy 3rd party extended if you care.

I've yet to see a good picture proving the Vizio 2016 Ps are truly capable of being proper 4:4:4 PC monitors. The JS panels are superior to quite a few PC monitors, the curve has no downside to single users, hell it makes more sense for desktop use than living room.
As an HDR TV, I would probably pick Vizio right now though, and you can buy direct online. When they first announced there was a 5% discount on the site for first time accounts, cheaper than worst buy.

I'm not talking about warranty. If I have an issue like dead pixels in my face or something, some places don't care and make you keep it. Crutchfield doesn't ask questions. BJs sounds vaguely familiar but it's not a West Coast thing, I think.

As for the curve, if you're trying to do some design work, it's helpful to see things straight and as they would appear when printed. The distortion in such a case would make things seem off.

The 4:4:4 is a good point. I'm seeing glow issues around the local dimming though and there are a couple of shots showing what looks like 4:2:2, but no word on if those people just don't have it set up correctly or whatever. I haven't looked through the whole thing yet, but there's a huge 340+ page thread on avsforum about it.

Official Vizio 2016 P Series Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Samsung now have KU6xxx series on their webpage. for those looking for a smaller screen. There is now a 40" with HDR and the pricing is surprisingly low compared to the JU6500 or is it like a JU6400 and does not do 4K@60 4:4:4

Last edited:
I'm not talking about warranty. If I have an issue like dead pixels in my face or something, some places don't care and make you keep it. Crutchfield doesn't ask questions. BJs sounds vaguely familiar but it's not a West Coast thing, I think.

As for the curve, if you're trying to do some design work, it's helpful to see things straight and as they would appear when printed. The distortion in such a case would make things seem off.

The 4:4:4 is a good point. I'm seeing glow issues around the local dimming though and there are a couple of shots showing what looks like 4:2:2, but no word on if those people just don't have it set up correctly or whatever. I haven't looked through the whole thing yet, but there's a huge 340+ page thread on avsforum about it.

Official Vizio 2016 P Series Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

The 'distortion' isn't there, literally take a piece of paper and curve it the same radius as the screen, no difference. Only viewing angles are affected but you get improved viewing if you sit in the sweet spot and especially for people currently doing multi-monitor its a really nice upgrade.

Curved LCDs/OLEDs/etc don't have any of the inherent geometry issues that CRTs and projectors can have: circles as ovals, rectangles as trapezoids, shapes different in corners compared to the center, etc. I don't know how to explain it all that well but with LCDs being 1:1 there is no 'stretching' or optical distortion. (intentionally Ignoring abominations like non-square pixel panels) Granted you would need a slightly flexible ruler, but at 100% scaling print dimensions will be correct. Back in the day I saw plenty of 'flat' CRTs with circles that looked like pluto's orbit uncalibrated, and maybe neptune calibrated. (I exaggerate but was pretty bad with certain programs)

I'm following various vizio threads religiously since I'll probably end up with a P75 after a warranty swap, but nobody has posted a conclusive 4:4:4 picture yet. The rtings "blurry" comment along with the ambiguous photos another guy posted here are not giving me high hopes. I already got to deal with their HDMI 2.0 "lite" thing over a year ago with the first P series screen.

Hello guys, I have a problem with my UE40JU6572. After a long thinking I decided to buy it as a PC monitor because it is the last 40" curved TV to buy it seems. The problem is that HDMI 1 does not accept 4K signal at all and goes to no signal! When I poweron the pc I can see the screen UNTIL the windows login screen which is in 4K - then no signal. If I boot when having just fullHD 1080p then it works and signal is there. Increasing it in the Nvidia control panel to 4K causes no signal. Other HDMI inputs on TV work with 4K. Funny is that it works when I use DVI-D - HDMI cable to connect my GTX 970 from DVI-D to HDMI 1. Connection from HDMI to HDMI 1 causes no signal issue. What do you think can it be? Maybe too long HDMI cable? Or some GPU settings? Also when I disconnect the cable from HDMI 3 and plug it into HDMI 2 for example the signal is lost even when I change the source in remote control. I have to reboot the pc to make the TV get the signal again. This does not happen with the DVI-D HDMI cable - I can plug it to whichever HDMI input on a TV and signal goes through.

Are you using a certified HDMI 2.0 cable?

Dawn it. I just bought one from eBay last week, will be here tomorrow, for $1150. :(. Should have waited a bit longer. Hahaha.

There's a good chance the one you'll get will be from BJ's and the eBay seller just used them as a drop shipper.

What would be the likely cause if HDMI signal is dropped with black screen after changing to Enhanced HDMI mode (4K 60, 4:4:4, HDR etc?) Am unable to get it working when connected to HDMI1 on GTX 980 TI. Cable is amazon basics and up to date with most specs.

Could it be the GPU, I don't believe it has the latest HDMI spec.

Cable doesnt have enough bandwidth.

OK, in that case is there a specific cable I need because I checked it before buying and it was described as
  • Meets HDMI 2.0 standards (4K Video at 60 Hz, 2160p, 48 bit/px color depth) that supports bandwidth up to 18Gbps and backwards compatible with earlier versions

Needs to be an 18Gbps capable cable and not many bother to test this, though that doesn't stop chinese OEM #23456 from claiming as much.

It also doesn't help when the HDMI association has a "ban" on marking cables as hdmi 2.0 certified, the highest "official" marking is high speed but quite a few of those won't cut it at max bandwidth. (this is pure bullshit in the real world: HDMI :: Manufacturer :: HDMI 2.0 :: FAQ for HDMI 2.0)

That being said, I have some 3+ year old decently-made 6-10' cables that work fine. YMMV!

Yeah im a bit surprised as this is direct from Amazon under their 'basics' branding and was purported to have enough bandwidth, mind you it is 3m/10ft so I'll see if I can find another thats 2m/6ft

Back