New Samsung 4k for everyone.

What was your previous monitor ?
VA ? IPS ?

Both.

Prior to the JS9000 I owned a 120Hz Samsung TN panel, then the BenQ BL3200PT (VA), then the LG 34UM94 (IPS), then the Dell U3415W (IPS). And many, many more before those.

Okay, and how do you like the JS9000, compared to BenQ BL3200PT, LG 34UM94 and Dell U3415W ?
Thank you

Okay, and how do you like the JS9000, compared to BenQ BL3200PT, LG 34UM94 and Dell U3415W ?
Thank you

It blows them away. Those were all good monitors, but quite frankly in a different league. Even disregarding the size of the JS9000 which is obviously much more impressive, it has gorgeous colors, great blacks with no IPS glow to deal with, smoother motion with AMP enabled, tons of room to work thanks to 4K, a better (more standard) aspect ratio than the 21:9 34" ultrawides, etc. It's so good that I haven't had the slightest desire to look for an "upgrade" and probably won't until I make the jump to OLED once it matures a little more.

Any of u guys getting more eye fatigue using these larger TV's for monitors? I mean, I'm in my 30's, so I know I'm not an old man yet, but I noticed that I do more squinting and my eyes get tired really fast, especially when gaming. My optometrist thinks it has to do with my eye's focusing muscles and also the high contrast, so I dialed the contrast and backlight back a bit which helped. What really helped though was pushing my TV back almost to the back edge of my desk, so it is now almost an arm length and 1/2 from my face. Before I had it really close. Pushing it back seemed to really help my eyes and fatigue. I still can't play for long periods like I used to do with my 30" Dell....Oh well, I guess getting older sucks :(

35 here and I'm digging long gaming sessions on this thing. But, everyone is different. :)

Could it be the PWM? I haven't really noticed any more fatigue than I had with my 30" Dell. And I'm currently using a backlight setting of 20, from the previous 8-12 that I was using for a long time.

question for any of you guys coming from previous gsync set ups. personally i've used only 60hz IPS monitors as my primaries for the past 5+ years, but i was curious as to those of you who have had experience with gsync prior to owning a 7500/9000 series, was it worth giving up gsync/higher frame rate potential for the quality of the TVs? (obviously this is a gaming related question)

...What really helped though was pushing my TV back almost to the back edge of my desk, so it is now almost an arm length and 1/2 from my face. Before I had it really close. Pushing it back seemed to really help my eyes and fatigue. I still can't play for long periods like I used to do with my 30" Dell....Oh well, I guess getting older sucks :(

Being further away is the largest benefit of using a larger screen.
Longer focal distance is easier on the eyes and can allow you to fill your vision a bit more without problems.
I use a projector because of this.

35 here and I'm digging long gaming sessions on this thing. But, everyone is different. :)

Could it be the PWM? I haven't really noticed any more fatigue than I had with my 30" Dell. And I'm currently using a backlight setting of 20, from the previous 8-12 that I was using for a long time.

Being further away is the largest benefit of using a larger screen.
Longer focal distance is easier on the eyes and can allow you to fill your vision a bit more without problems.
I use a projector because of this.

Thanks for the replies..Yeah, I do think pushing it back gives my eyes an easier time with focusing on the fast moving game play....I did also wonder about PWM, but I don't really don't know as I couldn't see any difference on the TV, and had to watch a youtube video to even show what PWM looked like....

Got my 48 js9000... This is insane.. not quite sure how I feel about it :eek:

The colors are amazing. The blacks are really, really black. No visible bleed. The PPI is pretty good though I feel kinda spoiled now from the 110. And even though it is wider than my u3415w, I feel I kinda miss the ultrawide format. Gonna give it a few days and see how I feel.

For those using the JS9000 units how hard is it to read text in the games. One thing I have learned is that the higher the res the harder it is to read text because it is smaller and most games have text you need to read whether its the game's HUD or chat system. For me I think the 3440x1440 is about the limit of my tolerance to read in game text. I havent tried 4k gaming yet though so I'm curious. Some games allow text size changes but most dont.

darkRaptor - congrats on the new display! Definitely give it some time. Be sure to also play with the TV functionality as well. Watching stuff like Daredevil or Jessica Jones from Netflix at 4k is truly amazing. There is a client for Plex.

Pretty awesome display! Let us know how it's going.

Got my 48 js9000... This is insane.. not quite sure how I feel about it :eek:

The colors are amazing. The blacks are really, really black. No visible bleed. The PPI is pretty good though I feel kinda spoiled now from the 110. And even though it is wider than my u3415w, I feel I kinda miss the ultrawide format. Gonna give it a few days and see how I feel.
Check out MaxTo. It will let you divide up the screen. You could make it like an ultrawide with an extra area above to snap windows to.

I upped my ju6700 to fw 1443 last night.. I didn't notice any changes. Still seems to work fine. Anyone else flash theirs? I didn't see any kind of change log or info on the update.

I know this question has been asked before, but I'd like to get a poll going on what mode you guys like to use with gaming. I have been using the game input with game mode disabled and using the Dynamic setting with amp on standard or smooth and the backlight set to around 15-18. Man, I just love how colors pop in the games that I play. I remember playing Alien Isolation and Ripleys flamethrower just looked so frekkin' amazing and almost real. I have to say though that since I started playing the Witcher again, I find myself going back and fourth between dynamic mode, and then using the PC input for 444 chroma and having PC mode on the entertain setting. The PC input just looks more natural and realistic but I still get the saturated colors. Dynamic looks really good, but just too saturated in certain things like the grass on the roads looks really fake and not very immersive. I do like the Dynamic color pop, but I think PC input for Thw Witcher looks the best. Damn, ill spend 30 minutes just going back and fourth trying to find which I like better rather then playing the frekkin' game!

For those using the JS9000 units how hard is it to read text in the games. One thing I have learned is that the higher the res the harder it is to read text because it is smaller and most games have text you need to read whether its the game's HUD or chat system. For me I think the 3440x1440 is about the limit of my tolerance to read in game text. I havent tried 4k gaming yet though so I'm curious. Some games allow text size changes but most dont.

I have no issues, although I prefer smaller text.
But remember, this is a 48" screen, so even at 4k the text is probably as large as it is on a 1440p on a smaller screen.

So now, the 55" UN55JS9000 is $1,999.99 and the 48" UN48JS9000 is $2,299.99. WTF? I'm hoping this means the 48 will hit $1500 soon. 55" is just too big for a monitor, unless you're on the couch or something. :/

Been about 4 days now... Lots of random thoughts to follow...

- I really don't think there is any concern with text being too small as asked above. I'm sitting about 30-36 inches away from my 48 js9000 and i have no issues with 100% windows scaling.
- I'm really digging Maxto, so thanks tmoney1876 for recommending! Just sucks it's not free..
- Tonight is probably the first time this size monitor has felt normal. Before, I've been telling myself I'm probably going to end up returning it and keeping the u3415w. It still feels too big for a daily driver(at the moment, but that could very well change once I learn how to use it better)
- I have a stuck pixel in the lower left corner.. I know it seems trivial, bc it is a single pixel apart from the other 8,294,399 little guys. But it's there. I see it. It drives me a little crazy lol.
- Mouse precision is kinda hard to deal with. Nothing too crazy, but it does slow me down when trying to pinpoint work and play.
- I get kinda motion sick with gaming- never have before. Right now I prefer gaming on the u3415w, though that could change with time. The colors and crispness of the picture are pretty awesome though.
- I've got the backlight down to 9 but I still seem bothered from time to time by the amount of light coming from the tanning be.. monitor. :)
- I love the curve at this size. I definitely feel immersed and I actually think it is more useful here than on the dell.

- Biggest question in my mind right now -
I am consuming a lot of media(amazon, youtube, movies, etc.) on this thing. If that is the case, why not just upgrade my TV and be able to lie down on the couch rather than sit at a desk all the time when I already sit at a desk for 10+ hours a day?

digging Maxto, so thanks tmoney1876 for recommending! Just sucks it's not free

Do you use AutoHotKey? I'd be lost without this, lots of free scripts. The WindowPad script is one option. I also mentioned WinSplit Revolution (free) and a few other must-haves for our 4k behemoths:
New Samsung 4k for everyone.

Mouse precision is kinda hard to deal with
Yea, what Mr. Smiley above me said -- make sure you're running 60Hz. You can also boost your cursor speed from most operating systems.

motion sick
You seem to be at a good distance (30-36") for desktop use, I tend to lean back a bit for gaming.

backlight down to 9 but I still seem bothered from time to time by the amount of light coming from the tanning be.. monitor
That does sound very tanning-bed. For me, backlight is at 3 during the day. At night, f.lux drops that down another 50%. Have mercy on our retinas.

lie down on the couch rather than sit at a desk all the time
Having replaced my triple-monitor setup for this 48" curve, I recently re-added my 22" (1920x1280) onto a 30" desk-mounted pole. It's used in portrait orientation along with my keyboard/trackball on a mini laptop stand. Works great as a cheap and effective sit-stand desk:

30" desk-mount pole
Amazon.com: Spacedec SD-DP-750 Display Quick Shift Donut Pole Display Stand Medium (Black): Electronics

sit-stand desk
Amazon.com : Pwr+ Portable Laptop-Table-Stand with Mouse Pad Fully Adjustable-Ergonomic Mount-Ultrabook-Macbook Light Weight Aluminum-Black Bed Tray Desk Book Fans Up to 17" : Notebook Computer Stands : Office Products

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What back light level are you guys using? I have had the setting at 16-20 on both PC and game input's and I think that is the reason I am getting really bad/fast eye fatigue. I have dialed it back to about 12 and that seems to help. Also, how many of you guys use the "Smart LED" function/setting. I have read that this is basically "Local dimming" for the Samsung TV', but since the TV's are edge-lit I have read the best setting is off. I have also read that setting it to low helps to obtain better black levels....Just wondered what u guys are using?

The back light on mine are all at 12 - warm 1. For me anything below 10 looks too dim.

New cable came and it passes 4k, which is more than I can say for the Monoprice cable that decided it wouldn't pass ANY signal to my 48" 6700.

Unfortunately the screen isn't holding sync. It's dropping to black and flickering a couple times and then brings up the PC signal again for a bit before doing it all over again. 'A bit' being anything from a couple minutes at first to a few seconds most of the time. So am I still hunting for an adequate cable or is this something else I need to deal with?

Grabbed the 15' version of this, maybe should have settled for 10' ?

Here's a 10ft cable that I got confirmed working on my 6500. For $5 ;):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271972330330?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Sucks there's so many overpriced cables out there that don't really work

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Its possible you are on the lowest end of output tolerance from the gfx card (to still be compliant) and/or the TV has a need for a strong signal.
If so its unfortunate and you will need to find a "best of" cable.

Either that or you have been unlucky to get another substandard cable.
The shorter the cable, the easier it is to keep the max bandwidth high. fyi
Check to see if there are any manufacturing defects, especially on the connectors.

Been about 4 days now... Lots of random thoughts to follow...

- I'm really digging Maxto, so thanks tmoney1876 for recommending! Just sucks it's not free..

At $19 I thought it was a good value relative to the productivity it provides. I don't mind paying that after spending $1200 on the tv.

That said, I haven't seen the 48 for sale again since I picked it up. I really think the 55 would've been too big for my setup. I have some chairs in my office, I think I could sit there and watch it without feeling like it was too undersized.

Its possible you are on the lowest end of output tolerance from the gfx card (to still be compliant) and/or the TV has a need for a strong signal.
If so its unfortunate and you will need to find a "best of" cable.

Either that or you have been unlucky to get another substandard cable.
The shorter the cable, the easier it is to keep the max bandwidth high. fyi
Check to see if there are any manufacturing defects, especially on the connectors.

The cable looks nicely made, but who knows what's lurking inside the good looking connectors.

Mainly I run Linux but I have Windows for games and the desktop shows just fine. Games (at full res) on the otherhand behave the same as Linux does, incapable of keeping the mode sync'd. I *might* be able to get away with 10' but 15' definitely makes it easier to route with an articulated monitor arm and a variable height desk.

edit: Figured out the Windows bit. No desktop image, on Linux I have astronomy pics. So presumably the less convoluted the data stream the better able the cable to pass it. Damned cable.

Last edited:
At 49 bucks I tried one of these cables: Fusion4k High Speed 4K HDMI 2.0 cable 6' - the issue I was having was related to my video card's HDMI port and older firmware on the card but I went through a lot of cables. These behaved the best for me even with the older firmware - so once i flashed my cards and things were stable I kept this cable. Not cheap but it seems very solid.

At 49 bucks I tried one of these cables: Fusion4k High Speed 4K HDMI 2.0 cable 6' - the issue I was having was related to my video card's HDMI port and older firmware on the card but I went through a lot of cables. These behaved the best for me even with the older firmware - so once i flashed my cards and things were stable I kept this cable. Not cheap but it seems very solid.

Sorry dude, but you definitely did not need to spend 50$ bucks on an HDMI cable.....Seriously....Most of us on here got their cables on Amazon that was like 9 bucks. I got mine from B&H for 8 bucks. HDMI is digital and you either are going to get a signal or not. If you're happy with the cable u bought then good for you and it works. I'm just smarter then I was 10 years ago when I spent 100 plus dollars for a stupid component cable just because it was the size of a boa, had crazy colors and had the name "MONSTER" on it.......

For reference- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1407SCXFTZQP7DADBA3X

Pearstone High-Speed HDMI to HDMI Cable with Ethernet - HDA-106 (This is the one I bought and it works flawlessly linking my 980 ti's and my 48" JS9000)

This cable (Mediabridge ULTRA Series HDMI Cable (10 Feet)) is one that several of us are using without any issues. I also am using an old 15' DVI to HDMI cable for one of the display without any issues. That is the longest cable I've been able to get to work. I've tried 10+ cables now at 25' to 50' including some pretty expensive ones with NO luck.

I need some help.
I have the 48JU7500 and when I try to switch to fulle chroma 4:4:4 I get green dots all over the TV.
I use the AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable and the Nvidia 970.

Bought those cables since they were posted here as working ...
Would you have any amazon link for the 18Gbps certified cables?
Thanks.

Bought those cables since they were posted here as working ...
Would you have any amazon link for the 18Gbps certified cables?
Thanks.

Dude...Just raise your eye balls up like 2 inches and read 2 posts above....

So I had to WFH today and I was limited to my Dell u3415w (only display port out on my work laptop) and it was TINY!!! I felt really crammed and didn't have near enough real estate to do what I needed comfortably. And with that, I think I'm sold on the js9000.

I'm now trying to figure out the best way to offload the Dell without losing $$$. :rolleyes:

Ordered my 7500 today cant wait for it to arrive tomorrow. Gonna have some asus 1080p 144hz monitors for sale real soon.:)

Any laptops available to power these displays yet? I'm hoping a refreshed Macbook Pro Retina will be able to do this sooner or later...

Guys, I'm sorry, I'm too lazy to read 165 pages, could anyone tell me what would be the best "budget" 4k tv for 60hz gaming as a PC screen?
I have a GTX 970 that should be able to handle that kind of workload.
I was considering buying the Samsung ju6500 series, either a 40" or a 50", what would you recommend?
Any advice is much apreciatted, thank you.

What back light level are you guys using? I have had the setting at 16-20 on both PC and game input's and I think that is the reason I am getting really bad/fast eye fatigue. I have dialed it back to about 12 and that seems to help. Also, how many of you guys use the "Smart LED" function/setting. I have read that this is basically "Local dimming" for the Samsung TV', but since the TV's are edge-lit I have read the best setting is off. I have also read that setting it to low helps to obtain better black levels....Just wondered what u guys are using?
I use a value of 6 for backlight, but that's in a completely dark room. I find it's enough once you adjust to it and it helps keep the black level down. I have the edge-lit curved JS8500 and I have Smart LED set to Low, as without it the black level in dark scenes is awful. The Smart LED does introduce some occasional annoying artifacts (flickering during scenes that cut from from bright to dark, inaccurate gamma, color contamination of the grayscale, blown-out highlights and colors on scenes where there are isolated bright spots on an otherwise very dark picture etc.) but it's worth it for the lower black level.

I always keep it on, though it's mostly for movies. It doesn't make quite as much of a difference in games as there are fewer dark scenes in general, and even if there are there tend to be bright HUD elements etc. that keeps the dimming from engaging fully.

Last edited:
Yikes, my backlight never goes higher than 4. I find even 2 is nice without losing much contrast/detail.

Can't imagine working all day on a 48" screen 3ft away with the backlight at 12. Windows Explorer opens... eyes pop..skin explodes. :aeek:

Guys, I'm sorry, I'm too lazy to read 165 pages, could anyone tell me what would be the best "budget" 4k tv for 60hz gaming as a PC screen?
I have a GTX 970 that should be able to handle that kind of workload.
I was considering buying the Samsung ju6500 series, either a 40" or a 50", what would you recommend?
Any advice is much apreciatted, thank you.

yeah Samsung ju6500 series is pretty much the cheapest option right now for true 4K 4:4:4 60hz. There was a sale on ebay for the 40 in for $450 but I think that sale to get rid of those 2015 models are over? but you might still be able to find a good used one on ebay.... There is not much options out there for true 4K 4:4:4 60hz low budget. actually Samsung makes the only 40 in one.. I think lg makes the 43 in option but they are more expensive.

Back