New Samsung 4k for everyone.

does anyone have any experience with the JU6400? looks like frys is going to have 40" ones on sale for 397 black friday.

id be interested in usng one of these as a monitor.

The rtings.com review of 55" model says its has excellent input lag and motion blur, but that size uses an ips panel so the 40" may be completely different. I am also curious about this model, I already have the ju6500, but I would trade 444 support for better motion blur/pixel response. If the 40ju6400 uses a va panel it would likely be the same or worse than the 6500 though.

My 7500 just randomly blink an "Extra" icon on the top right of screen telling you to use the "extra" function. Anyone seeing this?

Samsung will have the 48" 6700 for $800 on Black Friday. I'm wondering if it is worth paying twice as much for the js9000.

Right now Frys has the 48" JU6700 for $897. Not seeing any movement on the JU7500 yet though

Right now Frys has the 48" JU6700 for $897. Not seeing any movement on the JU7500 yet though

Crutchfield (and maybe others) are getting ready to knock hundreds off. Starting tomorrow 11/22 they will have special pricing:

40" 6700
Current price - $749 | Sale price - $649 (ends 12/5)

48" 6700
Current price - $899 | Sale price - $799 (ends 12/5)

40" 7500
Current price - $1299 | Sale price - $899 (ends 11/30)

48" 7500
Current price - $1399 | Sale price - $1099 (ends 11/30)

I don't see any planned sales for the quantum dot models, but $1600 is already a pretty good price for the 48" JS9000 compared to what most of us paid.

Crutchfield (and maybe others) are getting ready to knock hundreds off. Starting tomorrow 11/22 they will have special pricing:

40" 6700

48" 6700

40" 7500

48" 7500

I don't see any planned sales for the quantum dot models, but $1600 is already a pretty good price for the 48" JS9000 compared to what most of us paid.

Hot! I'll probably be picking up a 40" 7500 then. Hopefully amazon prices matches because I get 10% off with my CC.

40" 6700

48" 6700

40" 7500

48" 7500

As mentioned, prices are live. I recently picked up the 40" 6500, but the new price on the 7500 is good enough for me to move up and return the 6500, thanks!

amazon has the 7500 40" on sale. Though I'm going to wait till Monday to get it, as thats when my 10% back from my credit card kicks in.

I wonder if that's a version of last years model? Something specific to the membership club stores because it's hard finding any info on it online.

Edit:

Just did some more research reading the Samsung manual:
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201509/20150914125600079/ENG-US_HMUATSCJ-1.315-0907.pdf

Untitled.jpg

Bummer. So no 4:4:4 for the 640D according to that last sentence.

Thanks for sharing your research. I picked up 2 of the 48" ones at Costco but I'll just return them unopened as I want UHD color.

I also noticed that the 7100s appear to be on sale as well. The 40" JU7100 is $799, so decided to go for that over the JU7500.

So the One Connect Box on my JS9000 is driving me absolutely nutty.

The fan noise is high pitched and whiny, even in my cold (~60F / 15C) office.

I'm starting to brainstorm ways to silence it.

Maybe making my own quiet box by gluing eggcrate foam to the inside of tupperware will do the trick? I wonder if it will overheat in a setup like this.

Or maybe I can get a One Connect box from a lower end JU7500 or JU8500 model? Are those smaller black ones compatible? After all I don't use any of the Smart TV garbage software on it. I have it all disabled. I just use it as a dumb display. That's all I wanted.

Cant you just open the case and let air in? Same way like if you remove your PC case side panel? You cant use JU7500 because that box only have connections and TV processor is still in TV but your JU9000 have all things in that box.

Z - you could build a box for the One Connect, but you will need to ensure that you have good airflow to combat the heat. There are foam panels for absorbing sound. The egg crate stuff works pretty good and there is stuff for PCs that you can buy.

Good luck!

Damn I wish I had a crystal ball on these TV prices... I really want to replace my JU6700 40's with 48's, but can't decide on 6700/8500/9000.

I'd love the 9000 but even at $1599 it is just too much to have to buy 2 of these...
The 8500 looks like a good middle of the road, but not many people have been happy with them.
The 6700 is very nice for the price (currently $799), but the little bit better color on the 8500/9000 and motion rate is tempting me...!

Maybe I'll order the 6700's at the end of the current promo and then see what else Samsung comes out with for pre-holiday pricing.

Seems like you only want curved screen? If not you can look some Sony 49''(48.5'') TV-s they are IPS yeah so not good contrast but still have better colors than JU9000(Sony isnt wide gamut so have more real colors than JU9000) and Sony are flicker free but JU9000 isn't. If you are comeption gamer so yeah these Samsung are better for low input lag but Sony(35-36ms) 4:4:4 input lag is a lot lower than JU9000(55ms) 4:4:4 input lag and these Sony 49'' screens are only little bit more expensive than 48'' JU6700(maybe in USA they are same but I only know EU prices).
Edit: Sony TV-s have strobing backlight function too. Thats like Lightboost
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...ave-strobing-baclight-impulse-motionflow.html

you could build a box for the One Connect, but you will need to ensure that you have good airflow to combat the heat

Well, that's exactly the problem, good airflow = good soundflow in most cases :p

None of the tech specs for the JS9000 tell me what the max operating temperature is, an di don't know how much heat the One Connect box gives off.

I was kind of hoping that at least for the winter time, it could sit in an ventilated sealed box, without the temperature rising too much.

In the summer it won't really matter, as my AC will be on anyway, and will drown it out.

Maybe instead of putting it in a foam box, I'll try opening it up and seeing what kind of fan they have used. With a little luck it's a standard 12v PC fan, and I can find a quieter one with similar airflow specs

Last edited:
Damn I wish I had a crystal ball on these TV prices... I really want to replace my JU6700 40's with 48's, but can't decide on 6700/8500/9000.

I'd love the 9000 but even at $1599 it is just too much to have to buy 2 of these...
The 8500 looks like a good middle of the road, but not many people have been happy with them.
The 6700 is very nice for the price (currently $799), but the little bit better color on the 8500/9000 and motion rate is tempting me...!

Maybe I'll order the 6700's at the end of the current promo and then see what else Samsung comes out with for pre-holiday pricing.

Uh what? The 8500 is an excellent tv and one of the highest rated on all the sites. I'm 100% happy with mine.

Uh what? The 8500 is an excellent tv and one of the highest rated on all the sites. I'm 100% happy with mine.

The review linked in first post was very positive, but a lot of the comments have been more focused on the 9000. There was concern in the thread about color shift, though I don't know how bad/big of an issue that might be.

That being said, my situation is different - I have a 48" 9000 in the center of my triple display, so the only concern on a flat display is what I will lose angle-wise.

Maybe I'll break open the 48" flat 640D that I got from Costco (before I knew that it couldn't do UHD color) and see if the outside edge is too far away given the triple display setup.

At about 45° I still have excellent color. The color shift isn't as bad as rtings.com made it out to be. You can always go to the store and check the angle for yourself. It is what I did.

Just bought the 40" 7500 off of amazon. Currently using my 3008wfp but it doesn't play nice with my receiver over hdmi so it will be nice that this will work.

Thats the same monitor (Dell 3008WFP) I am currently using Munkle, looking at picking up a 48" 7500 very soon. Was looking at the 40" but from all thats been posted it sounds like I'd regret not going bigger.

I wasn't aware the JU7500 series was only an 8 bit panel. Kinda put a damper on my electronic lust :(

Hate to think I'd have to spend upwards of $1300 for a 10 bit panel.....

Thinking maybe I should upgrade my PC (rig in sig) first instead of going with a Samsung TV as I hear they refresh their lineup within the first few months of the year. Decisions....decisions!

Zarathustra[H];1041989003 said:
Well, that's exactly the problem, good airflow = good soundflow in most cases :p

None of the tech specs for the JS9000 tell me what the max operating temperature is, an di don't know how much heat the One Connect box gives off.

I was kind of hoping that at least for the winter time, it could sit in an ventilated sealed box, without the temperature rising too much.

In the summer it won't really matter, as my AC will be on anyway, and will drown it out.

Maybe instead of putting it in a foam box, I'll try opening it up and seeing what kind of fan they have used. With a little luck it's a standard 12v PC fan, and I can find a quieter one with similar airflow specs

Well, I spent some time cracking my spare One Connect box open to see what was inside...

So, 5 screws on the back (with way too much loctite) and some gentle yanking and prying to force it out of the tight plastic case and we have this: (click for bigger)

So, unfortunately we are dealing with some custom blower fan deal. If I can figure out the pinout, I might be able to solder a resistor in to slow it down...

Then I thought, what's underneath that heatsink?

Three plastic spring-loaded push-pins, and some prying later and we have this:

So, it looks like it was held in place in part by the push-pins, and in-part by thermal epoxy. I'm hoping I can put it back with some AS5 and pushpins.

It is POSSIBLE, that the epoxy cracked, and that's why it's getting hot and the fan is spinning up, who knows. When I put it all back together again, I'll let you know how it goes.

If anyone is curious about the chips, here are some closeups, in order of appearance: (left to right)

22961954070_3cdefd2875.jpg
22889907229_c0f2d25ec8.jpg
22629472854_660b58e904.jpg

Cheers.

Last edited:
Thats the same monitor (Dell 3008WFP) I am currently using Munkle, looking at picking up a 48" 7500 very soon. Was looking at the 40" but from all thats been posted it sounds like I'd regret not going bigger.
I'd keep using the dell, but I recently moved to where i don't have enough room for a separate tv and a computer monitor and the dell just isn't cutting it for movies. So I'm getting a 4k monitor.

I have a 40" 4k seiki at work and I don't use the edges of the screen much because its so big, so 48" would be to big for me. The seiki is a pos but it was cheap and since i was paying for it and not work I didn't really care.

You should delid those chips Z!

haha, I'm not going to go THAT extreme :p

Zarathustra[H];1041989527 said:
Well, I spent some time cracking my spare One Connect box open to see what was inside...

So, 5 screws on the back (with way too much loctite) and some gentle yanking and prying to force it out of the tight plastic case and we have this: (click for bigger)

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5816/22889814719_cee473010e_o.jpg

So, unfortunately we are dealing with some custom blower fan deal. If I can figure out the pinout, I might be able to solder a resistor in to slow it down...

Then I thought, what's underneath that heatsink?

Three plastic spring-loaded push-pins, and some prying later and we have this:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5736/22630647883_955d3f8dd5_o.jpg

So, it looks like it was held in place in part by the push-pins, and in-part by thermal epoxy. I'm hoping I can put it back with some AS5 and pushpins.

It is POSSIBLE, that the epoxy cracked, and that's why it's getting hot and the fan is spinning up, who knows. When I put it all back together again, I'll let you know how it goes.

If anyone is curious about the chips, here are some closeups, in order of appearance: (left to right)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/672/22961954070_3cdefd2875.jpg https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/649/22889907229_c0f2d25ec8.jpg https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5818/22629472854_660b58e904.jpg

Cheers.

Alright, so I spread some AS5 thinly on the chips and re-attached the heatsink.

It looks like there are several design flaws in this system. Firstly, it isn't an actual heatsink. On the inside where the blower fan blows it's air, is just another metal plate. No fins, or anything.

Secondly, it looks like the bottom of the "heatsink" doesn't perfectly touch the top of the chips. It seems like they noticed this, and tried to make up for it late in the design process by just putting a metric ton of thermal epoxy in there, instead of redesigning the thing.

I noticed I could press my fingers on the top of the heatsink, and it would make better contact with the chips. So I cut some air conditioner foam to size, and taped it to the top of the heatsink, so that when I screwed it back into the enclosure the foam would press the heatsink down onto the chips.

It looked like it worked, and with that amount of pressure on it, I'm pretty sure the heatsink and chips are making good contact.

I hooked it back up again, and what do you know, it sounds exactly like it did before.

It sounds to me like that damned fan just won't spin down. I am considering soldering in a resistor on the 12v+ line so I can shut the damned thing up. It never gets hot, I'm not sure why it even needs it. Maybe I should just unplug it, and let convection do its thing ;p

Hey guys, just got my 7500 but having a problem. When I connect my PC to the one connect and then to the TV it goes black, but as soon as I disconnect the one connect it gives me snow. Tried searching for an answer. I bought an hdmi 2.0 cable and the vid card is an evga 980ti. Thanks

Update : Tried following the setup guide but whenever i connect the one box the screen goes blank so I cant go to picture options and turn on UHD

Update #2 Spoke to Samsung support and they said its a faulty one connect box and it will take up to 14 days to get a new one. WTF.

Last edited:
Zarathustra[H];1041989860 said:
I noticed I could press my fingers on the top of the heatsink, and it would make better contact with the chips. So I cut some air conditioner foam to size, and taped it to the top of the heatsink, so that when I screwed it back into the enclosure the foam would press the heatsink down onto the chips.

Copper shim/AS5 sandwich? If you're desperate I guess you could cut some grooves into the plate and solder/cement some home-made alu or copper fins to it. Small Aluminum sheets are fairly cheap at Amazon--they have copper sheets too, but it goes without saying they're a good bit more expensive.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey guys, just got my 7500 but having a problem. When I connect my PC to the one connect and then to the TV it goes black, but as soon as I disconnect the one connect it gives me snow. Tried searching for an answer. I bought an hdmi 2.0 cable and the vid card is an evga 980ti. Thanks

Update : Tried following the setup guide but whenever i connect the one box the screen goes blank so I cant go to picture options and turn on UHD

Update #2 Spoke to Samsung support and they said its a faulty one connect box and it will take up to 14 days to get a new one. WTF.

You did tell your PC to use the display?

Copper shim/AS5 sandwich? If you're desperate I guess you could cut some grooves into the plate and solder/cement some home-made alu or copper fins to it. Small Aluminum sheets are fairly cheap at Amazon--they have copper sheets too, but it goes without saying they're a good bit more expensive.

Yeah, I might shim them, not sure.

If I knew for sure this would result in the fan spinning down I definitely would :p

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well since you are on hardforum, I think you should water cool them.

Going to have to start a "I Overclocked My Water Cooled TV" thread :p

In all seriousness I just want the damn thing to be quiet.

I've spent a lot of work making my desktop silent with 140mm Noctua Industrial fans spinning down to 430rpm when at idle. It just annoys the living bejesus out of me to hear that high pitched hum come from the One Connect box.

I probably wouldn't even hear it if my rig made a normal amount of noise. In fact, at first I thought it was coming from my computer, and I was tweaking all my fan settings trying to figure out what was making that noise and why.

So what are the advantages of the 7500 over a 6700? 240hz and 3d? Is the js9000 worth twice the price of a 6700?

So what are the advantages of the 7500 over a 6700? 240hz and 3d? Is the js9000 worth twice the price of a 6700?

I think I am about to pull the trigger on the 48" JU7500. The main differences between the 6700 and 7500 is a semi-glossy vs glossy (respectively) screen. The JU7500 is better at reducing reflections.

The 7500 is marginally better in almost every metric, but not so much that it would be perceptible to the human eye. Plus 3D, which would not be practical to use for gaming due to input lag. Also less motion blur in some use cases.

I recommend you do a side-by-side comparison at http://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare

I went to best buy and compared 40" vs 48" screens. At normal desk sitting distance 40" is completely within my field of view. 48" was just at the border of my field of view. Because of that 48" felt more immersive. Very slight head turning might be required with a 48" in desktop and productivity settings. In gaming I will be focusing on the center of the screen near my cross hairs mostly. If you are a competitive gamer than I would go much smaller, a 24"(or smaller) would be ideal.

Last edited:

The 240hz figures are marketing "fake" hz.

the 6700 contains a 60hz panel. The 7500 contains a 120hz panel (which you can only ever run at 60hz, there is no way to display 120hz signals from your computer)

The differences are as follows:
  • 6700 has a matte finish, 7500 is glossy
  • 7500 has less ghosting (very slight) due to panel refreshing at 120hz, even though you can only display 60hz content
  • 6700 has one HDMI2.0 input. All inputs on the 7500 are HDMI2.0 (I think, someone correct me if wrong)
  • 7500 has 3d, 6700 does not

Before I bought my JS9000 I was comparing these two. I wasnt sure if I'd prefer the 6700 or the 7500 as I tend to prefer matte screens, but then I went and bought the glossy JS9000 :p

Back