New Samsung 4k for everyone.

Funny how everyone is updating from 122x and I'm still on 1217 and keep getting "you have the latest version" messages.

Yeah, I can't seem to figure it out. Different TV's - even with the same model numbers - appear to be getting different software updates. Makes no sense to me.

i ran a quick test last night and swapped back to my dell 30'' to see how it felt after using the 40'' 7500 for a week.

i may just return the 40'' as much as i like the larger size and real estate, the VA panel is kind of bugging me with viewing angle. i don't notice it during gaming, however, i do a large amount of graphics work and the IPS panel on the dell 30 is better for that.

i ran a quick test last night and swapped back to my dell 30'' to see how it felt after using the 40'' 7500 for a week.

i may just return the 40'' as much as i like the larger size and real estate, the VA panel is kind of bugging me with viewing angle. i don't notice it during gaming, however, i do a large amount of graphics work and the IPS panel on the dell 30 is better for that.

I'm usually not one to advocate the Korean displays, but you could always try the Wasabi Mango UHD420. It uses an LG IPS panel and gets pretty good reviews. All of the other non-LG large 4K sets seem to be using VA panels, so other than an LG 4K TV, the Wasabi Mango may be your only option.

How can be viewing angle problem with curved screen?

IPS panels have always had the best viewing angles -- even better than VA -- with TN of course being the worst.

The viewing angle on the Samsung TVs is very very good (ZippZopp himself even stated that he didn't notice any issues with it when gaming), but for people who do graphics work, any amount of color or contrast shift can be an annoyance.

It's not an issue for the vast majority of people.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
How can be viewing angle problem with curved screen?
I like the curved screen and thought it would help with viewing angles, but the curvature is just too low to make much of a difference in that department.

Despite the curve the viewing angles are still terrible on my JS8505, but maybe that's just a particularly crappy model as suggested in this thread.

Do not alter the contrast or brightness settings. Leave them at default.

If altered, the relationship between the pixels will be heavily altered, resulting in significant alteration of the rendering. Pixels might loose up to 50% percent of the intensity, depending on the neighboring pixels.
Same behavior on my JS8505 when reducing contrast, on the checkerboard the top row of smallest dots in the middle get dimmed. But like you say never touch the contrast/brightness controls, they don't work the same way as on a monitor. You always want close-to-max contrast (I have 95) and then control the light output (to reduce eye strain, deepen blacks etc., what on most monitors is called "brightness") using the backlight control (I usually have it on 5-6, or double that if using LED Clear Motion when watching movies.)

Particularly never touch the brightness control because it defines the black level. My default is 45 and if raised then true black becomes needlessly brightened, and if lowered you get crushed blacks (but the black level won't get any deeper), so there is really no point in changing it at all.

Sharpness also works differently between PC and Movie/Game mode. In the latter the proper/neutral setting is 0, in PC mode however neutral setting is somewhere between 40 and 50 (I use 42), before that it becomes blurred, and after that you get sharpening artifacts.

Occasionally when booting up my PC I also get bad chromatic aberration (red/green fringes particularly visible around text) but I'm not sure if it's the TV or graphics card that's causing it. Anyway it always disappears if you just reinitialize the display by changing the Hz to something else and back, or change the dynamic range to Limited and then back.

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy anything from the JS8500 series, EU or US. That's the model to avoid.

rtrings gave it good score
But is it true what he said that with game mode on colors in games are worse than with pc mode?
I was fooled by rtings and hdtvtest.co.uk which both gave the JS8500 very good reviews.

Since it was 30% off I don't completely rule out some kind of panel-lottery. Perhaps I got a bum set from a batch produced with crappier panels and that's why it was cheaper, but I don't know how you'd check something like that. I also got two stuck pixels, one bright blue fairly close to the center.

In hindsight I should have returned it and tried for a Panasonic CXC725/CX750/850 which is apparently backlit on the 55" model and also supports 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 with decent input lag, but it was too much of an inconvenience due to my situation at the time. Guess I'll have to stick with it until 4K OLED comes down a bit in price.

Last edited:
I think best options are for high-end JS9000 and after this directly the JU7500.

p.p. Don't worry about the defective pixels. 90% of all screens have at least 1. Sometimes is at 1st boot, sometimes they appear over time, so .... Don't forget it's 4K - a lot of pixels and also if you don't stare at them - you won't see anything. It's TV after all, not PC monitor and you should keep distance from it.

Same behavior on my JS8505 when reducing contrast, on the checkerboard the top row of smallest dots in the middle get dimmed. But like you say never touch the contrast/brightness controls, they don't work the same way as on a monitor. You always want close-to-max contrast (I have 95) and then control the light output (to reduce eye strain, deepen blacks etc., what on most monitors is called "brightness") using the backlight control (I usually have it on 5-6, or double that if using LED Clear Motion when watching movies.)

Particularly never touch the brightness control because it defines the black level. My default is 45 and if raised then true black becomes needlessly brightened, and if lowered you get crushed blacks (but the black level won't get any deeper), so there is really no point in changing it at all.

Sharpness also works differently between PC and Movie/Game mode. In the latter the proper/neutral setting is 0, in PC mode however neutral setting is somewhere between 40 and 50 (I use 42), before that it becomes blurred, and after that you get sharpening artifacts.

Occasionally when booting up my PC I also get bad chromatic aberration (red/green fringes particularly visible around text) but I'm not sure if it's the TV or graphics card that's causing it. Anyway it always disappears if you just reinitialize the display by changing the Hz to something else and back, or change the dynamic range to Limited and then back.

Reducing the contrast to 95, and the defect was visible.

Reducing the brightness to like 42, and the defect was visible.

That is, when taking photographs of it.

Fidling with the sharpness, has a similar effect. Showed in an earlier post. Leave it a 50 for PC and 0 for game.

Everything is in short, broken. Apart from the backlight. Leave the contrast at 100. Brightness at 50. At least when using it for reading or writing, as it becomes a lot sharper.

Also, the PWM effect is less pronounced to my eyes, when things are left at default. Including color tone.

The trick is to calibrate it with some form of hardware tool. I do not use the game mode, so I simply do not know how effected that mode is.

To add to the insult, every once in a while, I need to reboot the TV, as text get a color shadow. Also clearly visible by a macro shot. Rebooting fixes it.

Add the bios and HD issues, and this product is seriously flawed. But there is a workaround for these issues. Luckily.

Will we ever get that HDR/HDMI 2.0a firmware update? The PR was almost 2mos ago now...

I'm waiting, too.
So, i hope i can update it soon.
But i have another problem.
The display turns off randomly, NO SIGNAL appears on the screen. Windows is still running, no BSoD, temps are good ( CPU about 29 and GPU about 31, motherboard 27-29, etc )
So, i have to unplug and plug in the HDMI cable on the HDMI1, again, and than is working again, but the Mozilla web page was open when this happened, now on the left corner, smaller.
Do you have any idea what this happent more and more often ?
Is that because i tried to reset the EDID, on the service mode ?
Could be the HDMI cable faulty ?
I'm pretty sure, there is nothing wrong with the GPU / CPU / PSU / Windows, etc
Just an example : today i was reading some newspaper.
The TV turned off, with the message : NO SIGNAL, check your cable, etc etc etc
I unplugged the HDMI cable from the TV, pluged in again, and everything was like it was before the issue, but the Mozilla Firefox web page with the newspapper i was reading, it was smaller, on the left side -up corner

sounds like your setting to "turn off display" is on...under power management settings...I have mine set to 15 minutes which starts the "no signal power off" setting of 15 minutes on the TV. All I have to do to restore the desktop is either hit a keyboard key or move the mouse and turn the TV back on. It does put any open web page in the upper left corner in a smaller size as you described. I don't normally use the auto display off feature on a PC but I go back and forth between 3 systems in my room and I don't want to leave the Samsung on all the time.

what do you mean ?
Control Panel / power options ( i use High Performance ) change advanced power settings / display ?
There is already " Turn off display after - NEVER "

what do you mean ?
Control Panel / power options ( i use High Performance ) change advanced power settings / display ?
There is already " Turn off display after - NEVER "

then I guess that isn't your "problem"...mine has no problem coming back up from "no signal"...sorry I can't help

Gotta say, the application windows getting stacked and resized in the upper left corner every time I power the thing on is getting a little stale. It's annoying to have to manually resize and reposition my apps every time I go to use the thing (assuming it's been powered off either manually or via the sleep timer).

I've tried Cyph's window resize fix a couple of times with mixed results, but no matter what I do, it seems like the applications resort to this behavior. What's weird is that, occasionally, they will remain in their previous positions even though I haven't done anything differently. Has anyone else managed to permanently resolve this, or is there a free desktop/window management app that will force Windows to remember window size & position?

Gotta say, the application windows getting stacked and resized in the upper left corner every time I power the thing on is getting a little stale. It's annoying to have to manually resize and reposition my apps every time I go to use the thing (assuming it's been powered off either manually or via the sleep timer).

I've tried Cyph's window resize fix a couple of times with mixed results, but no matter what I do, it seems like the applications resort to this behavior. What's weird is that, occasionally, they will remain in their previous positions even though I haven't done anything differently. Has anyone else managed to permanently resolve this, or is there a free desktop/window management app that will force Windows to remember window size & position?

I think a Windows Update changed the registry on Win10. I had the fix in place but now it's starting to go back to the windows being resized when waking after sleep. Someone will need to find a new registry hack to force 4K resolution in Win10.

It's hard to find out why the tv turns off randomly. Sometime it happent 2-3 times in 1 hour, sometime once in 3-4 hours.
Could be the HDMI cable ?
nVidia driver ( latest version ) ?
HDMI1 port is damaged ?
Software TV - menu - damaged ? ( after i went into Service Mode )
My graphic card ?

i changed the HDMI cable, now is a bit different.
Every 5-6 minutes, the monitor turns off and on again, for a second is black, no message on the screen.
Now i don't have to unplug - plug in again the HDMI cable
What could be ? My GPU is new, my PSU as well, CPU, motherboard, RAM, almost everything, except the sound card / DVD RW.

i will try to uninstall and reinstall the driver, but i think there is something wrong with the tv hardware...

This happens only when you use the TV with HDMI cable or? I mean if you use it with Youtube APP for example did you have same issues?

So I just ordered the JU7500. What hdmi cables are people having luck with? Was going to order one from monoprice but the ones they have listed to do 4k@60 have reviews saying they won't from a pc. I need about a 10 to 15 foot long one as my pc is in a rack right now. Thanks

So I just ordered the JU7500. What hdmi cables are people having luck with? Was going to order one from monoprice but the ones they have listed to do 4k@60 have reviews saying they won't from a pc. I need about a 10 to 15 foot long one as my pc is in a rack right now. Thanks

i used the mediabridge high speed 18gbps cables from amazon. regular HDMI cables that aren't high speed rated gave me issues

This happens only when you use the TV with HDMI cable or? I mean if you use it with Youtube APP for example did you have same issues?

I just tried now.
Windows wasn't turned on, so i went only through the tv menu, and after 3-4 minutes, NO SIGNAL.
So, there is nothing wrong with my PC.
Now i download the latest firmware 1411.0 altough i tried from the tv menu, it says " there are no new updates for you at the moment "
But here it is, already
http://www.samsung.com/de/support/model/UE40JU6550UXZG
I try from the USB stick, i'm not sure what would happent if i do the update and the issue with NO SIGNAL happent during the update..
Could i brick the TV ?

LE : I updatet to 1411.0
I have access to BIOS :):p:p:p
I don't know if the latest firmware resolved the issue with the turn off, but i will see in the near future.
I report back, whatever happent
Thank you

Last edited:
Nice, I should update mine too. Any changelog published?

edit: Updated also via USB, but can't see any differences. Probably bug fixes from previous one? If any know any info - please, share.

Last edited:
I did a quick forum search, but didn't find an update to this yet. For those running their TV off an nvidia gpu (970 or above), are any of you given an option yet (in the latest drivers) to choose anything above 8 bits per channel for color depth output?

Also, was it determined that the 7000 series have 10-bit panels, and if so does that mean they are capable of 10-bit 1.07 billion color palette or is that still reserved for the SUHD TVs?

8 bit at the moment...

Thanks for the response Killahurtz.

A member over at EVGA forums had this to say on the subject:

"HDMI 2.0 does not support 4:4:4 10 bit color at 2160p at 60hz. Secondarily, pretty much every game (Alien Isolation being the sole exception I can think of) out there and almost all applications(excepting some image processing programs) use a 8 bit pallet including Windows."
http://www.hdmi.org/manuf.../hdmi_2_0_faq.aspx#146

So if that's the case I guess that sucks (if it even makes a noticeable difference). Still, Istill wonder if anyone could answer my second question:

Was it determined that the 7000 series have 10-bit panels, and if so does that mean they are capable of a 10-bit 1.07 billion color palette or is that still reserved for the SUHD TVs?

It's hard to find out why the tv turns off randomly. Sometime it happent 2-3 times in 1 hour, sometime once in 3-4 hours.
Could be the HDMI cable ?
nVidia driver ( latest version ) ?
HDMI1 port is damaged ?
Software TV - menu - damaged ? ( after i went into Service Mode )
My graphic card ?

I have this problem with my JU7500 except mine doesn't turn off, it restarts. The screen will go black randomly for ~10 seconds and then come back on and all the applications I had open will be shrunk in the top left corner. I have no idea what is causing it but it can be really annoying in the middle of a firefight in BF4. :p

...Was it determined that the 7000 series have 10-bit panels, and if so does that mean they are capable of a 10-bit 1.07 billion color palette or is that still reserved for the SUHD TVs?

What do you need 10-bit for?

The current electronics just barely handles 444-chroma for 8-bit, and almost any feature of the TV is simply utterly broken for 444-chroma. Since the TV has broken electronics or firmware, what would the benefit from 10-bit be?

Also, the panels all suffer from uniformity issues, resulting in color inaccuracies. Why would you ask for greater accuracy, as by adding bits, to a panel that simply would kill any such added accuracy?

What do you need 10-bit for?

The current electronics just barely handles 444-chroma for 8-bit, and almost any feature of the TV is simply utterly broken for 444-chroma. Since the TV has broken electronics or firmware, what would the benefit from 10-bit be?

Also, the panels all suffer from uniformity issues, resulting in color inaccuracies. Why would you ask for greater accuracy, as by adding bits, to a panel that simply would kill any such added accuracy?

lol, who pissed in your cheerios this morning? Did I say I needed 10 bit? No. All I wanted was a simple yes or no and/or proof to satisfy my curiosity. I'm happy with the set as is, but if you have some chip on your shoulder then that's your thing. Question still stands to anyone kind enough to answer.

I have this problem with my JU7500 except mine doesn't turn off, it restarts. The screen will go black randomly for ~10 seconds and then come back on and all the applications I had open will be shrunk in the top left corner. I have no idea what is causing it but it can be really annoying in the middle of a firefight in BF4. :p

Did you tell this to Samsung ?? When did you buy the TV ?
Sometime, the TV goes off, sometime restarts. But now i try again with another display ( monitor BenQ BL3200PT ) i have no issues with this monitor.
I'm not sure but i think there is a TV hardware issue. HDMI slots, tv mainboard, etc.
Could that be maybe the nVidia driver ??

Last edited:
As I know all the JU7*** have 8bit panels. 10bits are equipped with quantum-dots, feature just for SUHD.

p.p. My JU7500 runs fine when I used it (in the small time - up to 3 hours per day)

Did you tell this to Samsung ?? When did you buy the TV ?
Sometime, the TV goes off, sometime restarts. But now i try again with another display ( monitor BenQ BL3200PT ) i have no issues with this monitor.
I'm not sure but i think there is a TV hardware issue. HDMI slots, tv mainboard, etc.
Could that be maybe the nVidia driver ??

I switched back to Samsung. TV restarts a lot, i do the test when i'm playing Project Cars - singleplayer.
With BenQ i didn't have this issue, with Samsung the screen turns off and on randomly.

Return it and get new one then. Probably faulty electronics. Where is made yours? Mexico? Slovakia?

Back