New Samsung 4k for everyone.

I don't believe that HDR firmware update for 2015 model UHD TVs will ever be released. Why issue a PR saying it's "available now" when something is nowhere near available? Even the people at Samsung seem to have no idea what I'm talking about when I ask them about it.

this has probably been discussed, but the thread is massive!!!

i have a 30'' dell, the 3007wfp-hc. it has been great for the 7 or 8 years I've owned it. I game a lot, mostly battlefield and COD. i also do a lot with 3d graphics

i'd certainly love to have a 4k screen but am wondering about input lag. I have no basis for comparison because I've had the monitor for so long. Would it be really noticeable going from the dell to a 40'' samsung?

what is the width of the base on the ju7100?

Last edited:

i have a 30'' dell, the 3007wfp-hc. it has been great for the 7 or 8 years I've owned it. I game a lot, mostly battlefield and COD. i also do a lot with 3d graphics

i'd certainly love to have a 4k screen but am wondering about input lag. I have no basis for comparison because I've had the monitor for so long. Would it be really noticeable going from the dell to a 40'' samsung?

As far as input lag goes, I had a difficult time finding tested figures for the 3007.

My understanding is that it is one of the early models without scalers, and has roughly 10-20ms of input lag, probably closer to 20ms.

In game mode you will find that these TV's get about 18ms of input lag, and in PC mode they get about 45ms of input lag.

Game mode slighly sacrifices color levels to achieve the lower input lag, but to me it is not noticeable unless you are looking at brightly colored text. Essentially, it has never been noticeable to me without pulling down the console in game.

Desktop mode uses full 4:4:4 chroma, and looks perfect, but it does add a little bit of lag.

I tend to run most games in game mode. Turn based strategy games like Civ5 are fine in desktop mode.

Different people have different levels of sensitivity to lag though. You will find some people here even turn on Auto Motion Plus (which interpolates frames and makes things very smooth, at the cost of having over 100ms of input lag) and like it.

So the short answer is "it depends", you have lots of options to choose from.

thank you. I think I'll run out to best buy this weekend and grab a 40'' 7100 and test it out

About the BIOS issue :
Did anyone here tried with dvi-i dual link to component ?
Would that be a bad idea ?
Thank you

About the BIOS issue :
Did anyone here tried with dvi-i dual link to component ?
Would that be a bad idea ?
Thank you

Well, component is analog, right?

So you'd be going through a DAC, and then back through a ADC.

I can only imagine this would have negative impact on image quality, sort of like using a VGA connector on an LCD screen...

I don't even remember there being a component in on mine...

I only use DVI - Component when i reboot the computer / access BIOS / F12 / Quick boot menu, etc, and then i could switch to HDMI.
I'm not sure if that would work, anyway

I only use DVI - Component when i reboot the computer / access BIOS / F12 / Quick boot menu, etc, and then i could switch to HDMI.
I'm not sure if that would work, anyway

Oh, I understand. My bad. Didn't realize it was for BIOS only.

Might work.

Picked up the 40" JU6500 and a GTX 970 today and got everything setup and configured. Love the resolution but feeling a little uncertain about going from 27" to 40". It feel uncomfortably large right now. I have 14 days to return this thing if I can't used to it. Just wondering if anyone else took some time to adjust.

I'd say you messed up. You should have went with the 48"!! :) Seriously though, I thought the 48" was way too big as well. After a few days..I could never go back...

I came from the Dell U3011 and even though the Dell was nice....48" JS9000 at 4k destroys it...I can't even tell or see any input lag. And I game with game mode off and use Dynamic picture with AMP and all the post-processing ....Looks great to me!

I can't even tell or see any input lag. And I game with game mode off and use Dynamic picture with AMP and all the post-processing ....Looks great to me!

Will these things work with JU6700 too?

i grabbed the 40'' JU7500 and got it all hooked up. I needed the high speed HDMI cable, capable of 18gbps to get everything working properly.

i'm coming from a 30" Dell 3007WFP. i put the samsung in game mode and don't really notice a huge difference in input lag, it could be more to do with slightly lower frame rates as I have a single Titan X.

overall though, gaming in 4k with 40'' is really cool, kinda reminds me of when i upgraded from my dell 24'' to the dell 30''. it seems to have about the same pixel density as the 30'', so i haven't really needed to do any UI scaling. i could totally see the need for UI scaling if it was 4k on a 32'' screen though. i feel like 40'' @ 4k is a sweet spot

i'm still getting used to the glossy screen and slight issues with viewing angle. i know the samsungs went with VA panels instead of IPS. i can appreciate the bump in visual fidelity, but it might take a little time to adjust to it. so far so good though, no major complaints

I know this thread is about Samsungs but it turns out I was looking at US prices when I decided on the 48" JU7500, Canadian price is over $2000. 6700 is $1700 CND

So can anyone vouch for why they would pay the extra compared to a Wasabi Mango UHD 48" $800 - $1000 depending on pixel perfect or not. Not to mention DisplayPort also has more options for Graphics Cards + FreeSync.

The only downside seems to be dealing with seller in Korea.

Also does the curve on the Samsungs make a that much of a difference?

I know this thread is about Samsungs but it turns out I was looking at US prices when I decided on the 48" JU7500, Canadian price is over $2000. 6700 is $1700 CND

So can anyone vouch for why they would pay the extra compared to a Wasabi Mango UHD 48" $800 - $1000 depending on pixel perfect or not. Not to mention DisplayPort also has more options for Graphics Cards + FreeSync.

I've never used or even seen a Wasabi Mango so I can't really say anything one way or another. The curve is nice, but I don't think it's essential or anything.

I heard the mangos are pretty good 4k panels for 800$. It's been hit and miss as far as the display lottery from what people post online. For me, I look at it like this....I paid a lot of coin to build my PC, and the monitor/TV, not the computer is what I stare at when I am surfing/gaming, etc. So, I opt for the best and for me, the Sammy is the best 4k TV/monitor at this moment in time.

You get the Samsung warranty, updates, not to mention the one connect box which one could argue is future proofing the TV. My games looks beautiful on my Samsung. I was lucky that my TV came with no pixel issues, and I have barely zero clouding issues. The curved 48" TV also looks bad ass sitting on my desk. That's my .02$

I heard the mangos are pretty good 4k panels for 800$. It's been hit and miss as far as the display lottery from what people post online. For me, I look at it like this....I paid a lot of coin to build my PC, and the monitor/TV, not the computer is what I stare at when I am surfing/gaming, etc. So, I opt for the best and for me, the Sammy is the best 4k TV/monitor at this moment in time.

You get the Samsung warranty, updates, not to mention the one connect box which one could argue is future proofing the TV. My games looks beautiful on my Samsung. I was lucky that my TV came with no pixel issues, and I have barely zero clouding issues. The curved 48" TV also looks bad ass sitting on my desk. That's my .02$

That is a good point, but its still a big high for me. Any idea if Samsung tvs get big reductions on Black Friday?

Another thing I like about the curve is that the stand can be removed when placing it on the desk for optimal sitting height.

By the way, what is one connect box?

What kind of cable are you using, guys, from PC to TV ?
DVI ( graphic card ) to HDMI ( tv ) or just HDMI-HDMI ?
Thank you

I am using a DVI/HDMI at the moment , so that I can use the HDMI on my card for a Rift DK2 , but I have used HDMI/HDMI with no problem.

i'm still getting used to the glossy screen and slight issues with viewing angle. i know the samsungs went with VA panels instead of IPS. i can appreciate the bump in visual fidelity, but it might take a little time to adjust to it. so far so good though, no major complaints

Can you explain viewing angle problem? Your screen is curved so how is that possible to have viewing angle problem?

I recently bought the JU6700 48" to use with my new Alienware Area 51 R2 with a GTX980. When I set it up with Windows 8 it seemed to work okay, but last night I upgraded to Windows 10 and now my PC won't boot with the JU6700 connected. At first I thought it was something to do with my video card but when I connect my 30" LG monitor through DVI the computer boots up fine. Then if I connect the Samsung through HDMI it works fine as a secondary monitor. If I try to boot the computer with both monitors connected it also doesn't work, I get a black screen. I updated my BIOS, video card even with clean install. Not sure what else to do. Anyone else have this issue?

How do you like your JU6700 do you feel input lag? You use game mode for gaming or just PC mode? Is it possible to use with 100% brightness?

Still not sure I want to keep this thing. I think the shock of having 40" on the desktop is waning but still not comfortable working with this massive space after being a multiple monitor user for so many years.

Still not sure I want to keep this thing. I think the shock of having 40" on the desktop is waning but still not comfortable working with this massive space after being a multiple monitor user for so many years.

I got used to that pretty easily. It does take some getting used to. Especially if you had a mentality of placing certain windows or applications on a given monitor consistently. Now you don't have the borders in the desktop space to segregate your workspace. Trust me, after awhile you will get used to it.

I recently bought the JU6700 48" to use with my new Alienware Area 51 R2 with a GTX980. When I set it up with Windows 8 it seemed to work okay, but last night I upgraded to Windows 10 and now my PC won't boot with the JU6700 connected. At first I thought it was something to do with my video card but when I connect my 30" LG monitor through DVI the computer boots up fine. Then if I connect the Samsung through HDMI it works fine as a secondary monitor. If I try to boot the computer with both monitors connected it also doesn't work, I get a black screen. I updated my BIOS, video card even with clean install. Not sure what else to do. Anyone else have this issue?

Update: When I use the same HDMI cable and hook it up to a crappy 30" Insignia TV, it works fine. So it looks like an issue with the TV?

Plug the TV mains in somewhere else, might be a grounding problem.

Alternatively you could not try anything.
Everything has tolerances they work within and there is error detection and correction.
It may have a problem that Win 8 doesnt see, whether by luck or by design.

Alternatively you could not try anything.
Everything has tolerances they work within and there is error detection and correction.
It may have a problem that Win 8 doesnt see, whether by luck or by design.

Good point, this is why you're a junkie and I'm a noobie lol.

So I tried what you said and a bunch of other things, switching HDMI cables, ports, etc. Now I got to a point where I can get into Windows with HDMI through the JU6700. If I switch the cable to HDMI 2 on the TV, I'm able to boot straight in. But there is no option to enable UHD Color on HDMI 2 and also there are a bunch of glitches, the mouse is very jumpy during the Windows login screen and for the first 30 seconds in Windows, also colors and sharpness seem to be off by quite a bit. The blacks as I type look a little red, images are pixelated.

This is quite frustrating!

Sounds like you are running at HDMI 1.4.
I believe there is only one HDMI 2.0 port on your Samsung TV, be sure that you test with that port.

Are your cables certified with high enough bandwidth for HDMI 2.0?

How far are you guys sitting from 40/48 inch screens? Aren't your eyes bleeding due to sitting so close?

How far are you guys sitting from 40/48 inch screens? Aren't your eyes bleeding due to sitting so close?

No blood but it's definitely not comfortable for me. I boxed up my 40" JU6500 and am taking it back to Best Buy today. Will be visiting Micro Center this week for either a 32" 4k Acer or a 27" 1440 display.

I've been computing for decades, starting on a Commodore VIC20 and a 13" black and white TV. After years of Commodore displays I bought my first Windows PC and monitor--a 13" CRT from a company called WEN. I've also been a console gamer since the early 80s, beginning with the Atari 2600 connected to the TV in the living room. I have this goofy psychological division between sitting at a PC with a monitor and gaming on the couch with the console attached to a larger TV. The 40" Samsung was sort of a bridge between those two things and I just didn't care for it.

That's not to say that the many folks here who love it are nuts. It's just how I'm wired. Glad I got to try it. :)

That is a good point, but its still a big high for me. Any idea if Samsung tvs get big reductions on Black Friday?

Another thing I like about the curve is that the stand can be removed when placing it on the desk for optimal sitting height.

By the way, what is one connect box?

Do not EVER buy a Black Friday TV. Ever.
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2014/11/26/dont-buy-tv-black-friday/
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money.../11/27/dont-buy-a-tv-on-black-friday/3768903/

The One Connect Box holds all the brains, processing power, and connections to the TV. Only one cable goes to the TV. Everything connects to the box. If there is a hardware upgrade, you can simple replace the box rather than the whole TV. That's the theory anyway. It's similar to the Evolution Kits of yore, only it's completely separate from the TV, allowing the TV to be thinner.

I wouldnt bank on there ever being an upgraded box.
The external box is a way of keeping the TV thin and removing the need for more cooling around the panel.
I dont think upgrading was part of the game otherwise it would have been a very good selling point.

When there is a significant improvement to be made, they want to sell you a new TV not a box.

I wouldnt bank on there ever being an upgraded box.
The external box is a way of keeping the TV thin and removing the need for more cooling around the panel.
I dont think upgrading was part of the game otherwise it would have been a very good selling point.

When there is a significant improvement to be made, they want to sell you a new TV not a box.

Well, I mean, they already sell them, as well as Evolution Kits, so...

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs-accessories/SEK-2500U/ZA
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs-accessories/SEK-3500U/ZA
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs-accessories/SEK-2000/ZA

Do not EVER buy a Black Friday TV. Ever.
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2014/11/26/dont-buy-tv-black-friday/
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money.../11/27/dont-buy-a-tv-on-black-friday/3768903/

The One Connect Box holds all the brains, processing power, and connections to the TV. Only one cable goes to the TV. Everything connects to the box. If there is a hardware upgrade, you can simple replace the box rather than the whole TV. That's the theory anyway. It's similar to the Evolution Kits of yore, only it's completely separate from the TV, allowing the TV to be thinner.

Nothing wrong with buying on Black Friday, but you need to be aware of what you're buying.

If a model was listed specifically for BF, then yeah, wise to avoid it as that indicates they've done some cost cutting measures. But this only tends to happen on the low end sets. Last year the top of the line HU9000 was discounted by around $1000, and I'd expect the same to happen for the JS9000 and up.

Not at all. It's not as if the details are smaller and we are straining to see.

Essentially with a 48" 4k screen you have similar PPI to what you would have with a 24" 1920x1200 screen, there's just more of it.

It DOES feel a little odd at first, as you get used to the wall of screen infront of you, but once you get used to it it is fine.

Also, once you get used to using the far corners of the screen as peripheral vision in games, it gets very immersive.

has anyone compared the ju7500 to the ju6700?

i just got the ju7500 but am not sure if I'm liking the glossy screen. it's not bad in the evening with a bias light behind the monitor, but during the day when my room is a bit brighter, the glossy screen has some issues.

i think the ju6700 has a semi gloss screen which might be nice, but are there any other major tradeoffs when using it for computing and gaming?

Back