New Samsung 4k for everyone.

Hey guys,

I am thinking about picking up a 48" or 50" JU7500 for desktop use from about 3 feet away.

Can some owners please recommend this or not? Is the PWM really an issue with this? Does 100% Brightness fix the PWM?

Has anyone tried flat & curve? Is the curve really worth it?

Also, 55" owners, how far away are you sitting? I just checked out some 55's and they seem too big for everyday desktop use, it seems you need to turn your head more to focus on each corner. By the way I am using a 27" 1080p monitor now which would be about the same ppi as a 55.

48" or 50" is fine for desktop use. I sit about an arms length away from mine. Don't worry about PWM if you don't experience issues with other PWM monitors/tv's. I keep mine on 10/20 brightness, i doubt you want to put it on max backlight brightness. I have only tried the curved models and although i like it a lot, in my opinion the curve only matters in comparison to distance. Sit closer = curve is nicer. 55" is amazing if you can get it flush on the desk, otherwise don't bother, the height becomes a problem (unless you can live with it).

JU7500 - good choice. Interesting fact about this model insead many others (JU6500/6700/7100) is that feature direct led backlit instead of edge. It has 6 full lenght led strips. Yes, it's not full array like 9500, but the price it's not the same also. And those "Quantum-dot" displays dies over time like OLED blue color, because are build on organic material.

JU7500 - good choice. Interesting fact about this model insead many others (JU6500/6700/7100) is that feature direct led backlit instead of edge. It has 6 full lenght led strips. Yes, it's not full array like 9500, but the price it's not the same also. And those "Quantum-dot" displays dies over time like OLED blue color, because are build on organic material.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041456571&postcount=1
This say only JU7100 and JU7500 are direct lid and not 6xxx series

Phillips 40 incher fanboys got butthurt when I talked them that these Samsung UHD TVs are better than their Phillips monitor and they dont want to believe me :D

Any visible difference between edge lit and direct lit?
The real question is. Is it full Direct-lit or some kind of castrated Direct-lit. If it is full Direct-lit then yes you will see a difference if not then it's hard to say depending on the panel.

Phillips 40 incher fanboys got butthurt when I talked them that these Samsung UHD TVs are better than their Phillips monitor and they dont want to believe me :D
The only fanboy is you. Which you are proving with that troll comment.

Last edited:
And those "Quantum-dot" displays dies over time like OLED blue color, because are build on organic material.

First I've heard of that. Is this proven, or just a theory? Link?

All components degrade over time. Even the capacitors and other electronics in the good old JU7500. The question is, will it be an issue for most of us who will likely have moved on to another display long before it becomes a problem? If my quantum dots "die" a year from now, I won't be happy. 15 years from now? I probably won't even be using 4K anymore. :D

First I've heard of that. Is this proven, or just a theory? Link?

All components degrade over time. Even the capacitors and other electronics in the good old JU7500. The question is, will it be an issue for most of us who will likely have moved on to another display long before it becomes a problem? If my quantum dots "die" a year from now, I won't be happy. 15 years from now? I probably won't even be using 4K anymore. :D
Comparison with capacitors is bad. 1st they can die if the conditions are bad, 2nd you can change them and you are ready to go. This can't happened with the display.
Pretty sure QD are semiconductor based and not organic.

Of course it is. Read about it. Wikipedia, lot of sites speaking about the tech and etcs.
Any visible difference between edge lit and direct lit?

For sure is better, but not like full array.

Last edited:

This Phillips 40 inch fanboy has a pixel perfect screen with no PWM since I use max brightness (not bright to me at all, I'm used to a 27" Apple Cinema display that's way brighter). I tried converting to THREE 40" Ju7500's just to be met with:

1. DOA monitor
2. monitor with dust/hair behind the glass, dead pixels, + a stuck blue pixel in the center of the screen
3. Monitor with dust/hair behind the glass + dead pixels

And most importantly, nauseating PWM. You remember when you were a kid and you put your nose right up to your old tube TV and you'd start to feel dizzy/lightheaded? That's what I felt the second my Samsung monitors turned on. All 3 returned. Thank god for Amazon.

Yes the Phillips has flaws and I 100% AGREE THE SAMSUNG TV'S ARE BETTER but unfortunately did not work out for me. I LOVED the curve, the vivid "pop" and the even more glossyness than the Philips. Maybe the 2016 models...

I wait 2016 models too. Not only Samsung but all others too. Hope to get curved, 40'' or similar size , flicker free, not more than 25ms input lag at 4:4:4 60hz.

Comparison with capacitors is bad. 1st they can die if the conditions are bad, 2nd you can change them and you are ready to go. This can't happened with the display.

OK, again, I doubt I will be using this set in 10 years so please link to a credible source that describes the rate of decay for quantum dots/nano-crystals so that each of us can decide whether or not to throw our sets in the trash.

People said the same thing about plasma sets having a limited lifespan, but many of us are still using TVs that are old, old, old and still look fantastic with no problems.

Let me throw out another analogy for you to dissect. SUHD and OLED sets deliver higher performance in terms of image quality, with possible (confirmed for OLED) pitfalls in terms of lifespan. Even if it's an issue, I'm totally OK with that. A Ferrari delivers a much more exhilarating driving experience than a Honda Accord, but is not designed to last 150,000 miles. Some are fine with dealing with the reduced performance of the Honda in exchanged for increased longevity. I don't usually keep my cars for 10 years, so I'd prefer the Ferrari experience for the duration of ownership and simply upgrade when the engine needs to be rebuilt. ;)

I'm still curious if it's even a real concern or just a theoretical issue for those needing a reason not to buy the quantum dot sets.

Of course it is. Read about it. Wikipedia, lot of sites speaking about the tech and etcs.

Sorry, but you're dead wrong.

First link on Google:

Semiconductor nanocrystals having dimensions smaller than 10nm are also described as quantum dots.

Edit - Also, from here:

A quantum dot (QD) is a nanocrystal made of semiconductor materials that is small enough to exhibit quantum mechanical properties.

You should maybe do your own research in the future before you consider spreading misinformation. :)

Last edited:
Yes the Phillips has flaws and I 100% AGREE THE SAMSUNG TV'S ARE BETTER but unfortunately did not work out for me. I LOVED the curve, the vivid "pop" and the even more glossyness than the Philips. Maybe the 2016 models...

Guys, just calm down.

There is no one product that is "the best" for everyone.

Each product has advantages and disadvantages, and what you deem best for yourself, is not necessarily best for everyone else.

Samsungs TV's are GREAT for screens. Great colors, great clarity,curve, sharpness, relatively low input lag in game mode, etc. etc. but they have some drawbacks too.

1.) Lower end models have particularly bad square PWM. This is an issue for some, and not for others. I'm lucky. I don't notice it AT ALL. (I also have a JS9000, which while it uses PWM, is not as bad as the harsh square PWM of the lower end models)

2.) Samsung has had some quality issues with these screens. When you get a good one it is fantastic, but chances are you'll have to send a few back, and this is both a nuisance and can be costly.

It all depends on where you are in life, what kind of money you want to spend, how much RMA tolerance you have, and how sensitive you are to PWM.

For those of us for whom the 2015 Samsung TV's work well, they work very very well. I don't think there is a better screen out there right now for me. But they simply are not for everyone, nor is any other product.

1. DOA monitor
2. monitor with dust/hair behind the glass, dead pixels, + a stuck blue pixel in the center of the screen
3. Monitor with dust/hair behind the glass + dead pixels

Hair in the screen? How looks exactly? Long piece of hair or what? Btw if you have something like this - probably it's possible to crack it open and remove it right? Same with the dust? I mean it's between the glass and the polarizers, not inside the liquid crystal?

so has a better TV (different brand) come out since this thread was made,i'm thinking about picking one of these up

so has a better TV (different brand) come out since this thread was made,i'm thinking about picking one of these up

The JS9000 seems to be the cream of the crop right now. Probably see some new models around Nov/Dec for the Xmas rush.

You probably won't see any new models until January or February... CES is typically when they're announced and then come out shortly after.

The JS9000 seems to be the cream of the crop right now. Probably see some new models around Nov/Dec for the Xmas rush.

Some would say the LG OLEDs are the top of the line atm. Though that depends on intended uses and what aspects of a TV one values most.

Some would say the LG OLEDs are the top of the line atm. Though that depends on intended uses and what aspects of a TV one values most.

Also double the price for a 4k OLED vs a LCD, that is the main "aspect that I value most" If 4k OLED was the same price there would be no contest at all.

Also double the price for a 4k OLED vs a LCD, that is the main "aspect that I value most" If 4k OLED was the same price there would be no contest at all.

Not double the price anymore... you can get the 55" 4K for $3K in the US.

55" JS9000 costs $2300 here. Granted, it's a sale price vs MSRP, but I haven't seen any recent deals on the JS9000. Imagine they're going to have to start slashing prices soon though.

Last edited:
And that the blue color will die in 5 years :D Image retention..

Based on what people are saying in the OLED thread, image retention is not an issue on the LG OLEDs.

Also, they are rated for 30,000 hours until 50% brightness (~10 years). Which of you use your current TVs at >50% brightness anyway?

And while the price increase over LCD is astronomical, so is the image quality. (and input lag haha)

If you've never seen an OLED in person before, you will be quite happy with your JS9000s (and even lower models) for years. But once you sit in front of an OLED for 1 hour, everything else looks so inferior.

I expect my JS9000 will keep me happy until I'm ready to take the OLED plunge. Prices be droppin'. I know input lag is high on the current sets...is that just something specific to LG or is it just inherently high with OLED in general? It would be a shame for such a beautiful gaming experience to be marred by sluggish mouse movement.

I expect my JS9000 will keep me happy until I'm ready to take the OLED plunge. Prices be droppin'. I know input lag is high on the current sets...is that just something specific to LG or is it just inherently high with OLED in general? It would be a shame for such a beautiful gaming experience to be marred by sluggish mouse movement.

I think it's just an LG thing.

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

Filter by LG -> 4K and you'll see all of their TVs have very high input lag. Also, the input lag of the 1080P OLED was acceptable at around 30-35ms, so I don't think it's anything inherent with the technology.

Let's hope with Samsung putting more of a focus on input lag this year that encourages LG to do the same.

The intrinsic panel response time of OLED is faster than any LCD. The input lag is a consequence of other electronics used in the TV, not the panel.

LG doesn't care too much about input lag since the percentage of users of OLEDs who use it as a monitor are probably <0.1% of all LG TV consumers.

The new Panasonic OLEDs supposedly have an input lag of 80-200ms.

So here's hoping Samsung does something special with their OLEDs next year.

But most owners of their OLED sets are probably gamers. There's only so much blu-ray movies coming out per month, and you'll watch it once on the OLED and never bother with it again; whereas gaming is continuous.

I was away eventing and have 10 more days on my new JS9000 65" and 55" I feel the 65" is being returned since my omnimount Play70 is not rated to hold a 65" and my bose SR1

Anyone have thoughts on this?

I was away eventing and have 10 more days on my new JS9000 65" and 55" I feel the 65" is being returned since my omnimount Play70 is not rated to hold a 65" and my bose SR1

Anyone have thoughts on this?

I say keep the one that works best for you based on size, comfort and how it fits into your overall setup. The 48" is still the right size for me - even after months of use.

Good luck

Last edited:
I have a 2015 Toshiba Satellite Radius P55W-C5208x 4k. This has HDMI output that Toshiba says output's to 4k. I am looking for a 40-43" monitor to run full 4k res at 60hz. I just returned two Vizio M43's because I couldn't get the 60hz to run at full rez. Will the Samsung JU6500 or JU6700 work?

My main concern is mouse lag. I am designer/developer/programmer and need accurate mouse control. Color accuracy is less important than precise control. Thanks

I have a 2015 Toshiba Satellite Radius P55W-C5208x 4k. This has HDMI output that Toshiba says output's to 4k. I am looking for a 40-43" monitor to run full 4k res at 60hz. I just returned two Vizio M43's because I couldn't get the 60hz to run at full rez. Will the Samsung JU6500 or JU6700 work?

My main concern is mouse lag. I am designer/developer/programmer and need accurate mouse control. Color accuracy is less important than precise control. Thanks

The problem is your laptop, it cannot do 4K 60Hz on HDMI, display port only.
That means no TVs, monitors only.

I'm doing a PC build for the first time and am planning on getting the UN40JU6700 to use as a monitor. Thing is I do not game at all - mostly I will be using it to boost productivity.

Currently I have not ordered a GPU. I'm getting the MSI Z97 PC Mate mobo.

My questions is: Do I need a GTX 9XX GPU to be able to get 4:4:4 at 60HZ 4K? Or will the iGPU on this mobo support that? My gut hunch says no.

I'm doing a PC build for the first time and am planning on getting the UN40JU6700 to use as a monitor. Thing is I do not game at all - mostly I will be using it to boost productivity.

Currently I have not ordered a GPU. I'm getting the MSI Z97 PC Mate mobo.

My questions is: Do I need a GTX 9XX GPU to be able to get 4:4:4 at 60HZ 4K? Or will the iGPU on this mobo support that? My gut hunch says no.

The iGPU on the Z97 will not support it.

The spec sheet says that the iGPU on Z170 - on the other hand - does. I am unaware of anyone here testing it yet though, so I am not confident enough to say it works on Z170 yet.

If you are decided on z97, I'd pick up a GeForce 950 for ~$155 to do the job, or apply that added $155 towards a Z170 skylake CPU and motherboard and DDR4 RAM, and be the first here to test if the skylake iGPU does the job.

Picked up the 40" JU6500 and a GTX 970 today and got everything setup and configured. Love the resolution but feeling a little uncertain about going from 27" to 40". It feel uncomfortably large right now. I have 14 days to return this thing if I can't used to it. Just wondering if anyone else took some time to adjust.

Picked up the 40" JU6500 and a GTX 970 today and got everything setup and configured. Love the resolution but feeling a little uncertain about going from 27" to 40". It feel uncomfortably large right now. I have 14 days to return this thing if I can't used to it. Just wondering if anyone else took some time to adjust.

I've taken some time to adjust every time I've upgraded screen size.

When I first got my 22" Iiyama Vision Master Pro 510 CRT back in 2001 it felt WAY too big compared to the 16" SVGA screens I was used to.

When I first got my 24" Dell 2405FPW, in late 2005 / early 2006 it felt uncomfortably large.

When I first got my 30" Dell U3011 in November 2010, it felt absolutely ridiculously large.

And a couple of months ago when I got my 48" Samsung JS9000 it felt odd and way too large.

Every single time within a week or so, I have gotten used to it, and going back has felt painful.

Zarathustra[H];1041885971 said:
The iGPU on the Z97 will not support it.

The spec sheet says that the iGPU on Z170 - on the other hand - does. I am unaware of anyone here testing it yet though, so I am not confident enough to say it works on Z170 yet.

If you are decided on z97, I'd pick up a GeForce 950 for ~$155 to do the job, or apply that added $155 towards a Z170 skylake CPU and motherboard and DDR4 RAM, and be the first here to test if the skylake iGPU does the job.

Thank you for your help!

I decided to pick up the GTX 960 instead.

Back