New Samsung 4k for everyone.

Planning to purchase a 980Ti as well... Slightly off topic, but any suggestions as to which make on the 980Ti? Should I go MSI? Asus? etc?

I have two EVGA ACX2.0+ SC cards, and I love them.

In the grand scheme of things though, a 980ti is a 980ti, regardless of board partner.

Zarathustra[H];1041766165 said:
I have two EVGA ACX2.0+ SC cards, and I love them.

In the grand scheme of things though, a 980ti is a 980ti, regardless of board partner.

Thanks! Agree, in the end, the major third party guys (EVGA, MSI, Asus) all do a good job anyway.

I did hear about Samsung swapping panels last year, but they actually did that well in advance of Black Friday, at least for the 4K sets.

They quietly did a bait and switch on HU8550, replacing the panel with one that didn't do 4:4:4, only like a month after the 4:4:4 firmware issue was fixed for those that the previous panel. So people heard the issue was finally fixed, then went out and bought the TV... only to find Samsung replaced the panel with an inferior one. It was a pretty scummy move.

It was the mainboard and they did it to quite a few models (it was esp douchey on the higher end ones claimed to be "full color" or whatever). TS1 revision generally had a samsung chipset board and TS2's had some cheapo one (the repair part prices were like $500 vs $300 on their own site). It was a complete cluster with people hoping/waiting the TS2's could also be update for 444, or looking through boxes for any TS1's left, and nothing coming from samsung so it took quite the effort by users to figure this out. A few were able to force samsung to replace w/ TS1 boards.

I just installed Windows 10. Scaling is finally done right! Everything looks sharper now even when it's at 200%. Windows 10 is made for 4K. I like it!

Edit: Unfortunately, most apps are not designed for Windows 10 it still looks like crap when scaled.

what was your previous OS, Cyph ?
I still use Windows 7 x64, i don't know if i should update to Windows 10 or not

I'd do it, but either image your OS drive so you can go back easily, or wait a few months for the teething issues to be figured out and patched.

For all its annoyances, it IS a huge improvement, just remember to set it up with local accounts and turn off all data sharing (andvaced tab during install). Everything that is included by default that is annoying can either be uninstalled, disabled or at least hidden.

It feels very snappy, and the location of the new search bar is great, as is the new start menu.

Thank you, Zarathustra
I always have a backup of the C partition ( with Acronis True Image )

Windows 8.1. You don't have to worry about regretting it. You have 30 days after install to revert back to your old OS.

I try to run the 7100 with my asus dp 1920x1200 and dell dvi 1600x1200. The 7100 has 4 equal screens of desktop background, is it just tiling wall paper or something, I want the samsung with a single desktop image different from my 2 smaller screens. If was to game at 4k how do I get game to play on my samsung, does the samsung need to be primary monitor to do this? Would Display fusion be best for this setup?

Windows 8.1. You don't have to worry about regretting it. You have 30 days after install to revert back to your old OS.

Ok, i will give it a try when i have some time.
You made me curious about the " Windows 10 is made for 4K " :)

As I mentioned in the previous page I am going to pull the trigger on the 48" JS9000 soon. However, I only have the option for a single gpu to drive it. Since I can't SLI, should I go 980ti or Titan X as my single card?
Price is not too much of a concern if I can get the extra oomph from the Titan for this 4K TV, but I still don't want to make an unnecessary purchase if the 980ti is adequate.

As I mentioned in the previous page I am going to pull the trigger on the 48" JS9000 soon. However, I only have the option for a single gpu to drive it. Since I can't SLI, should I go 980ti or Titan X as my single card?
Price is not too much of a concern if I can get the extra oomph from the Titan for this 4K TV, but I still don't want to make an unnecessary purchase if the 980ti is adequate.

Well, there is no single GPU on the market that can play modern titles at 4k at 60fps with options turned up. Depending on the title you might be able to make it work by turning down the eye candy, or settling for 30fps. If you only play older or lighter games, it might work as well.

IMHO, there is no reason to go to the Titan X, it costs a lot more, and the performance increase is very small.

What is the obstacle to SLI? If you can afford a Titan X, you aren't very far away in price from 2 980ti's.

Zarathustra[H];1041767463 said:
Well, there is no single GPU on the market that can play modern titles at 4k at 60fps with options turned up. Depending on the title you might be able to make it work by turning down the eye candy, or settling for 30fps. If you only play older or lighter games, it might work as well.

IMHO, there is no reason to go to the Titan X, it costs a lot more, and the performance increase is very small.

What is the obstacle to SLI? If you can afford a Titan X, you aren't very far away in price from 2 980ti's.

Can't go SLI because I have a mini-ITX board (and mITX case, etc.), so only one slot for the graphics card. May consider going to a bigger motherboard later, but for now it has to be a single card.

I agree and think the 980Ti would suffice. If I have to tone down some settings that's ok by me anyways, but ultimately the performance difference between the 980TI and Titan X OC is not worth it. Thanks! :)

I am trying to get things ready for when my TV arrives in a couple days. When I download the latest firmware to my USB Flash Drive do I leave it zipped?

I am trying to get things ready for when my TV arrives in a couple days. When I download the latest firmware to my USB Flash Drive do I leave it zipped?

Probably not. I just plugged an Ethernet cable into mine and I've had it download the updates. Its worked well so far.

Computers rule, but programmer without a fishtank is like hardware without software. My fishtank is on the left of the monitor and it is nice to move sight from the monitor to the colourful world of underwater life.

I got Amazon to pricematch the 48JU6500 at $647 off a Fry's deal but after trying it out for a week I can't deal with the color shift. This is my first VA panel and it seems only marginally better than TN panels that I've had in the past. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with how big it is but I think I need to go with an IPS panel.

Turned on my 48JS9000 this morning and was greeted by a prompt for a new firmware update. We're out of town doing a zip line tour so if any of you guys update today, post up if there are any noticeable changes.

I got Amazon to pricematch the 48JU6500 at $647 off a Fry's deal but after trying it out for a week I can't deal with the color shift. This is my first VA panel and it seems only marginally better than TN panels that I've had in the past. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with how big it is but I think I need to go with an IPS panel.

I tried a 40JU7500 for about 2 weeks, and I also never got used to the color shift. It was so bad, that I wonder if mine was defective in some way. 6-8 inches on both sides, and 3-4 inches on top and bottom always showed a significant color difference compared to the center. It was mostly noticable when using web browsers and text applications with white backgrounds. In the center, the background was white, all around the edges, it was pink.

So I ordered an LG 43UF7600. I've had it about a month now, and so far so good. It's not perfect, it's more mirror like than the curved glossy samsungs, and 2-10 pixels at the edges of the screen can go black due to viewing angle. It has an IPS panel, I think it's the same one that is in the Crossover 434K.

So I ordered an LG 43UF7600. I've had it about a month now, and so far so good. It's not perfect, it's more mirror like than the curved glossy samsungs, and 2-10 pixels at the edges of the screen can go black due to viewing angle. It has an IPS panel, I think it's the same one that is in the Crossover 434K.

^Nice, that's about the perfect size IMO. I wish they made the Samsungs in a 44" version.

I bet that IPS panel looks great. How is the ghosting/blur and input lag compared to the JU7500? 4:4:4 is fully supported I assume?

Hi guys, I have 3 questions

I am currently running triple monitors just fine (Benq XL2720Z, Asus VE258Q, Dell U2412M), and am considering selling my 280x (HDMI 1.4) and buying a GTX970 (HDMI 2.0).
I would then like to sell 2 of my screens and purchase a 40" Samsung and use it with my Dell 24" (in portrait mode).

Question 1) Would a single GTX 970 be able to support both of those screens? or would I be stuck in 20fps hell? I play games like Rocket league, WoW and Dark Souls.

Question 2) I live in Canada and notice that my BestBuy does not have have the 7500 series, but does have an additional 6000 series screen, UN40JU6800FXZC. Is there any reason to get this panel, over the 6700, that is also curved?

Question 3) Curved vs Flat - This must be subjective, but, do you guys REALLY think that the curved 40" is worth $300 more than the flat 40"? Or does the novelty wear off quickly?

Last edited:
A single GTX 970 isn't going to be able to drive games maxed out at 4K all the time. A Titan X or 980Ti struggles to do that in some games. So keep this in mind. But you wouldn't likely use two screens for gaming. You typically use one and the other panel shows the desktop or another application. Virtually any card can do this.

I am uncertain as to the quality of that panel. I have a JU6700 48" and it's amazing. I wouldn't go back to a traditional monitor at this point. I came from 3x27" ROG Swifts and before that 3x30" Dell 3007WFP-HC's.

Lastly, on the subject of curved vs. flat displays I believe that as a TV, the curve either doesn't do anything or actually makes the display a worse TV. If you view it from off angles it isn't ideal as the geometry of the image distorts. As a computer monitor the curve is nice and I think it does add to immersion. Although I don't know that I'd want it in a 40" panel. On a 48" I think it's superb.

A single GTX 970 isn't going to be able to drive games maxed out at 4K all the time. A Titan X or 980Ti struggles to do that in some games..

I would even argue that a Titan X or 980ti struggles in MOST titles, at least by my standards.

The only two games I have tested that run OK on a single 980ti thus far are Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and Civilization V, neither of which have particularly demanding graphics by modern standards.

Zarathustra[H];1041769261 said:
I would even argue that a Titan X or 980ti struggles in MOST titles, at least by my standards.

The only two games I have tested that run OK on a single 980ti thus far are Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and Civilization V, neither of which have particularly demanding graphics by modern standards.

I've never run on a single Titan X at 4k, so I didn't have experience with it. I knew it would struggle at that resolution with the more demanding games.

Today's firmware update for the JS9000 was 1219, which brings it up to parity with the JS8500.

I might email rtings and see if they'll retest the input lag numbers. I'd be interested in seeing if 1219 brings the input lag in PC mode more in line with what we're seeing with some of the other models.

I've never run on a single Titan X at 4k, so I didn't have experience with it. I knew it would struggle at that resolution with the more demanding games.

Well, I've never run anything on a Titan X, but judging by comparative performance to a 980ti (of which I have two) I feel fairly confident in my statement :p

Today's firmware update for the JS9000 was 1219, which brings it up to parity with the JS8500.

I might email rtings and see if they'll retest the input lag numbers. I'd be interested in seeing if 1219 brings the input lag in PC mode more in line with what we're seeing with some of the other models.

I just checked, and since I have autoupdate on, mine was already at 1219 right now.

I have no way of measuring the input lag, so I can't say if there are any improvements.

I'm not sure I can tell the difference anyway without measuring. (I can certainly tell the difference between PC mode and Game mode, but even if there were a 10ms improvement in PC mode, it would likely be lost on me.

A basic side by side test with my 20" Dell 2007FP (moving a window to the border between the two, and moving the window up and down) indicates PC mode is still slower than my Dell panel, but by how much, I have no idea.

I wish they had a public firmware change log...

Last edited:
UN48JS9000 inbound via UPS bought from B&H on Thursday. I will be receiving it a day early as it arrived from New York to my local UPS in California on Saturday, so Tuesday delivery bumped up to Monday. I am so giddy with excitement! :)

Funny thing is, I could be gaming right now, but I'd rather surf the net or lay in bed and watch the tube on my days off....Damn, getting old sucks and I'm only in my 30's haha. I hope this changes once I hook up some 4K gaming fun!

I'll post pics once I get everything up and running.

Zarathustra[H];1041769480 said:
I just checked, and since I have autoupdate on, mine was already at 1219 right now.

I have no way of measuring the input lag, so I can't say if there are any improvements.

I'm not sure I can tell the difference anyway without measuring. (I can certainly tell the difference between PC mode and Game mode, but even if there were a 10ms improvement in PC mode, it would likely be lost on me.

A basic side by side test with my 20" Dell 2007FP (moving a window to the border between the two, and moving the window up and down) indicates PC mode is still slower than my Dell panel, but by how much, I have no idea.

Agree. So far I haven't noticed any difference (regarding anything) on 1219 vs 1217. It sure would be nice to have access to Samsung's internal change logs for these so we could see what fixes and changes were made with each revision. I'm not sure if I could detect a 10ms difference, either.

UN48JS9000 inbound via UPS bought from B&H on Thursday. I will be receiving it a day early as it arrived from New York to my local UPS in California on Saturday, so Tuesday delivery bumped up to Monday. I am so giddy with excitement! :)

Funny thing is, I could be gaming right now, but I'd rather surf the net or lay in bed and watch the tube on my days off....Damn, getting old sucks and I'm only in my 30's haha. I hope this changes once I hook up some 4K gaming fun!

I'll post pics once I get everything up and running.

I know exactly what you mean, man. I'll be 35 in 20 days. 550 games sitting in my Steam library and most days I'll just end up watching something on TV or surfing the net. Going to 4K (and a huge one at that) did cause somewhat of a resurgence in my gaming, but it's the middle of summer and I feel like I should be doing other things. I'm sure I'll get plenty of gaming in this winter. :cool:

Good luck with the new one - I'm sure you'll love it.

For those with 40" versions: Anyone tried mounting their TV on a standard Ergotron LX?

I'm curious if the LX has enough height clearance to get the TV off the desk by at least 0.5-1".

^Nice, that's about the perfect size IMO. I wish they made the Samsungs in a 44" version.

I bet that IPS panel looks great. How is the ghosting/blur and input lag compared to the JU7500? 4:4:4 is fully supported I assume?

Yep, it does 4:4:4 at 60Hz with Geforce 9xx and a decent cable. I haven't tried to measure it, but I'd guess the lag is 2 frames or less, since I don't notice any lag with the mouse cursor or when playing full screen games.

I also haven't noticed any ghosting issues, but then I've been using IPS displays nearly exclusively since 2001. It's possibly someone coming from a 120Hz TN might notice ghosting issues.

I tried a 40JU7500 for about 2 weeks, and I also never got used to the color shift. It was so bad, that I wonder if mine was defective in some way. 6-8 inches on both sides, and 3-4 inches on top and bottom always showed a significant color difference compared to the center. It was mostly noticable when using web browsers and text applications with white backgrounds. In the center, the background was white, all around the edges, it was pink.

Thank you for sharing that. That sounds like the better set for me. At ~$800 I can't imagine why you'd get the Crossover 434K using a reject of the same panel.

Yep, it does 4:4:4 at 60Hz with Geforce 9xx and a decent cable. I haven't tried to measure it, but I'd guess the lag is 2 frames or less, since I don't notice any lag with the mouse cursor or when playing full screen games.

I also haven't noticed any ghosting issues, but then I've been using IPS displays nearly exclusively since 2001. It's possibly someone coming from a 120Hz TN might notice ghosting issues.

Does it have light bleed / glow like 30"+ IPS monitors do? Especially in the corners.

In the center, the background was white, all around the edges, it was pink.

A member sometime ago recommended gamma settings to reduce the pink found on the edges.
I don't have any major color color shift but the pink tint was reduced to the point that I no longer notice it.

I forgot the settings. If someone needs them, I can search for the changes I made.

So did anyone find a reasonably priced arm that will work for this? I'm going for the 48". I saw the Humanscale M8 mentioned but I could add another GPU for the price of that thing...

Don't see any pink on mine. There is shift but I only see it on solid color backgrounds which is never seen while gaming.

Don't see any pink on mine. There is shift but I only see it on solid color backgrounds which is never seen while gaming.

There is a slight shift on my JS9000 around the edges, but it is only really visible to me on black backgrounds.

Surprisingly, I think it is actually slightly worse in Game mode than in PC mode, which doesn't make sense, as I thought it was only due to viewing angle, and how close I sit to the screen.

Newegg has the Samsung UN40HU6950 40" 4K Ultra HD TV for $527.99 today but apparently you can only get 4:4:4 @ 60 Hz with a specific chipset... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889354766

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...k-at-60p-on-samsung-tv-/post/4505809/#4505809
The instructions on the support site are fraudulent, they actually describe how to force 422 chroma (not 444) at all 2160P formats, but there's no way to force 444 chroma at the fraudulent formats.

If you have the GolfP chipset, you are getting 444 at 60Hz, 422 at 50Hz
If Nova Tek, 422 at both 50 and 60Hz.

Last edited:
Back