New Samsung 4k for everyone.

I would not recommend curved for actual TV/living room use. It's great for a PC monitor, though.

My primary use is as a PC monitor and I sit about 24" (18" when leaning in) away from my 40".
The curve would make the corners of the monitor easily visible when glancing menu bars and text.

My local Brandsmart in Florida has all of these TVs displayed side by side. So I've seen the plus and the minuses first hand.

^ AFAIK, There are currently no actual 120Hz 4k TVs out there. That 120/240 CMR specification is not the panel refresh rate, but internal CPU processing rate, which is used only for interpolation settings.

This reply, which was accepted by rtings, can better explain it:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/fake...otion-rate-vs-sony-motionflow-vs-lg-trumotion

"For clarification, the refresh rates listed, even if they are only of the 120/240 Hz variety are still misleading. Here's why.
First off, there is no "LED" panel. All panels are LCD. LCD/LED refers to backlight only. All consumer LCD TVs have a fixed maximum refresh rate of 50/60 Hz depending on whether or not they are PAL or NTSC systems respectively. The 120/240 Hz specification is not the *panel* refresh rate, but instead the CPU's frame processing rate. That is, a 120 Hz TV can process 120 frames internally and a 240 Hz TV can process 240 frames internally. This internal refresh rate (I hate using that term for CPU processing) is of use only for frame interpolation on modern sets.
Frame interpolation is where elements of at least two successive frames are received and analyzed by the TV's CPU for processing. On a 120 Hz TV, the frame interpolation will work fairly well for 24 FPS and 30 FPS material as both fit into 120 at least three times. For 60 FPS material such as console games, computer display signals from a GPU, and certain broadcast signals, the frame interpolation used for motion blur reduction suffers from "hiccups". It is often referred to as the "hurry up and wait" effect where the motion smoothing will appear OK for a few frames, then suddenly de-sync for a couple of frames, and repeat the cycle. This is because there is no time to process the two key frames needed to go along with the third interpolated frame. At 60 FPS, on a 120 Hz TV, the TV can process two frames per refresh cycle, which does not leave enough time to inject an interpolated frame every other frame, which is necessary for motion smoothing to work properly. That is why TVs need processing at least three times the panel's refresh rate so that it can inject the interpolated frame in the time of each frame cycle. ....."

The 7000, 8000 and 9000 line actually do have a 120Hz panel. They will not accept 120Hz input of any resolution. The only way to access that 120Hz as a computer monitor is to:

1) Output 60Hz split screen 3D signal. The monitor then displays 60Hz to each eye stretched to full monitor width (this requires 120Hz panel with 120Hz shutter glasses)

2) Use the AMP. The monitor will then insert 1 interpolated frame for every one of your input 60Hz frames. This is not that useful on computer monitor because input lag is horrendous and the TV occasionally will get the interpolated frame wrong (which appears as momentary corruption).

3) Turn on the LED clear motion on. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU DO NOT TRY THIS. It alternates a black frame at 120Hz with your regular frame at 60Hz. The effect is identical the worst case of 60HZ CRT flicker you will ever see. It will make you sick.

Finally some folks have actually measured it:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ue48ju7500-201504074038.htm

Measured panel refresh rate 120Hz

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for that correction Ziran. Hopefully that clears up those questions.

But to be clear, since these TVs do have a 120Hz panel, what would actually be necessary for it to accept a 120Hz input at any resolution? Upgraded Hdmi 2a ports? or complete redesign?

Wow, thanks for that correction Ziran. Hopefully that clears up those questions.

But to be clear, since these TVs do have a 120Hz panel, what would actually be necessary for it to accept a 120Hz input at any resolution? Upgraded Hdmi 2a ports? or complete redesign?

I tried setting 1080p 120Hz input. The display will show out of range error. In fact anything over 61Hz would show an error. I guess this falls more into the "complete redesign" category.

I tried setting 1080p 120Hz input. The display will show out of range error. In fact anything over 61Hz would show an error. I guess this falls more into the "complete redesign" category.

These Sammys don't allow for 1080p 120Hz operation unfortunately.

Thanks for your post with explanation on the previous page. :)

This is actually a problem with the GTX900 video cards. They will not display the POST on the HDMI port for some reason. One way to work around it is get a quality short DVI (single link) to HDMI cable and connect your 4k television to the DVI port. It will still work at 4k 60p 4-4-4 and you will be able to see your BIOS configuration menu (usually entered by pressing DEL) on your monitor.

You will probably still miss the POST stuff because its over in a few seconds and the monitor takes longer then that to decide to turn on (mine typically turns on around the time windows displays the loading logo).

This actually works fine for me (on 980Ti) when I run connect my JS9000 as a single display. It shows the picture from the beginning, via HDMI only. Maybe it's a motherboard thing?

The smaller but annoying problem I have is that when I hook up my 30" Samsung monitor with it, it's the one that shows up the picture first, until we get to windows log on. But that might be because the card priorities to boot picture on DisplayPort.

This actually works fine for me (on 980Ti) when I run connect my JS9000 as a single display. It shows the picture from the beginning, via HDMI only. Maybe it's a motherboard thing?

Its a strange fish.
The card prefers some outputs over others.
So if something is connected to a preferred output, it will POST on that.
But if only one monitor is connected but not on that output, POST will still be displayed.

This happened on my 980 and my 980ti.

Guys, I updated the guide, added Cyphs windows resizing fix, changed recommendation to RGB full, and a few other things. Please let me know if you have any further recommendations.

Zarathustra[H];1041757952 said:
Guys, I updated the guide, added Cyphs windows resizing fix, changed recommendation to RGB full, and a few other things. Please let me know if you have any further recommendations.

I would keep a change log at the top of the post so others know what is going on without having to go through the entire document.

Anyone own the 40" UNJU7100 as a monitor and care to share their thoughts? I am currently on a 27" monitor that I sit a couple feet away from.

Zarathustra[H];1041757952 said:

Minor typo here (missing "e"):

due to a TV firmwar bug

Also the test image you give is actually very hard to tell 4:4:4 from 4:2:2. I would use this image instead (it makes it obvious):

http://i4.minus.com/ibyJcwdIniHUEs.png

Also the test image you give is actually very hard to tell 4:4:4 from 4:2:2. I would use this image instead (it makes it obvious):

http://i4.minus.com/ibyJcwdIniHUEs.png

I can tell really easily on mine; certain lines of the "Quick brown fox" image get very noticeably less crisp under 4:2:2, especially the last two lines. Why do you say it's very hard to tell? Some of the lines take less of a quality hit for sure, but there are several where it's a huge difference.

Regardless, the one you posted is great too and I would definitely include both test images in the guide so that people can double verify.

Amazing deal on 48" JS8500 from eBay/Buydig.

You get TV+Galaxy S6+$300 Visa gift card for $1500.

Source

Looks like this deal is dead today.

This seller is offering the 48JS9000 for $100 off the normal price.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The curve would make the corners of the monitor easily visible when glancing menu bars and text.

Not sure what you mean. Curve makes the experience more immersive, but because the corners and sides of the screen are closer to you, they also start to enter vision of only one eye sooner than a flat screen, when sitting at similar, nearer-distances. This will depend on the person though - how deep their eye sockets are, size of nose, range of motion of eyes, etc. Moving the edges closer to you with a curved display is like sitting closer to a flat screen screen - the sides and corners will begin to leave your area of focused vision.

If you sit far enough away where the field-of-view of one of these larger displays is similar to sitting in front of a 30" screen at 2-feet away, neither screen shape has much of an advantage, and for certain workloads, the flat one will be better/more consistent (editing, CAD, etc).

I played with these for about a month before finalizing on a 50" flat model, and returning everything else. The curved seemed nice for full-screen gaming (I don't have much time to play games at this stage in life), but the flat was better for everything else. Moving back 40-48" from the screen looks great, and allows me to get a better soundstage from my audio system. At this distance, the 48" curve models would also not be an issue for fitting everything into my area of focused vision, but there was no benefit either, so I went with the cheaper option.

Last edited:
Adorama has a similar deal today, S6+ $300 rebate on the JS8500. $400 rebate on the JS9000.

JS9000: http://www.adorama.com/SSGN48JS900S.html
JS8500: http://www.adorama.com/SSGN48JS850S.html?utm_term=wk0UvQ1pIUwT3BF0mTQ3C1OdUkXzaOSV3Tzmyc0

They have a shitty return policy though, no returns on 48"+ TVs unless defective. If not for that I think I'd bite on a JS9000 right now. I do wonder why Samsung is offering so many promotions though (rebates are typically manufacture funded). Makes me think LG has some significant price cuts on 4K OLED coming and Samsung will be forced to lower prices to compete.

I bet it's because the only reason you'd ever want a 48" 4k television would be to use it as a computer monitor, so "regular" sales are really low!

I bet it's because the only reason you'd ever want a 48" 4k television would be to use it as a computer monitor, so "regular" sales are really low!

The deals also apply to the 55", but I figure 65" is the more common size for 4K, so I agree that is a possibility.

Anyone own the 40" UNJU7100 as a monitor and care to share their thoughts? I am currently on a 27" monitor that I sit a couple feet away from.

I have the 7500 which is basically the same unit with a curved screen. What so you want to know? 2 feet may be a bit too close but 30"~ is where I have mine.

Adorama has a similar deal today, S6+ $300 rebate on the JS8500. $400 rebate on the JS9000.

JS8500: http://www.adorama.com/SSGN48JS850S.html?utm_term=wk0UvQ1pIUwT3BF0mTQ3C1OdUkXzaOSV3Tzmyc0

They have a shitty return policy though, no returns on 48"+ TVs unless defective. If not for that I think I'd bite on a JS9000 right now. I do wonder why Samsung is offering so many promotions though (rebates are typically manufacture funded). Makes me think LG has some significant price cuts on 4K OLED coming and Samsung will be forced to lower prices to compete.

Wow, thats a deal, might need to hope on that :eek:

The rebates aren't that surprising, its the time of year that 2015 TV's start to drop in price. I wouldn't be surprised if we see the 48" 9000 at $897 by Black Friday

hey Martha Stewart!....you got any stock tips for us?...might help some people get themselves into a Sammy 4K!!!

Just talked to Crutchfield about the rebate since I bought my JS9000 ten days ago. They told me to pound sand and return it if I did not want it. Dunno. This one had zero dead pixels. Not sure I want to roll those dice again.

Scew it, put in an order with Adorama.com

JS9000 48" @ $1997 no tax+Samsung S6+400 rebate is too good to pass up:p

Hopefully I can sell the S6 on ebay/Craigslist for $400-500 making the net cost around $1100.

Scew it, put in an order with Adorama.com

JS9000 48" @ $1997 no tax+Samsung S6+400 rebate is too good to pass up:p

Hopefully I can sell the S6 on ebay/Craigslist for $400-500 making the net cost around $1100.

Did the same buy with the 48" JS8500. I will probably end up using the phone since I am still on a Galaxy S3.

48JS9000 arrived today in perfect condition, until I turned it on. A single red stuck pixel in the center of the screen. Tried the eraser and the jscreenfix with no luck. Any other suggestions? I love the tv otherwise, may be an excuse to order from adorama for the rebate.

Geez, Louise. :eek:

Did someone confirm that Samsung is capping the S6 promo to 3,000 units?

Tempting as it is, I think that I'll stick with my current JS9000. Like Kyle, I lucked up and got a pixel perfect panel. But for the rest of you, this is one hell of a deal.

Tempting as it is, I think that I'll stick with my current JS9000. Like Kyle, I lucked up and got a pixel perfect panel. But for the rest of you, this is one hell of a deal.

That's my fear, no returns period with adorama and samsung won't warranty dead pixels. If mine was anywhere other than the dead center I could live with it.

Add me to the Samsung 48js9000 train! Toot Toot!

I've bought from Adorama before and haven't had a problem. Lets hope for a flawless panel *crosses fingers* 400$ credit card rebate is awesome...Don't think I'll do the phone thing as I don't want to open a new phone contract just to get a new phone..
Any1 know of any other ways to get the phone aside from signing up for a new contract? I hope this TV blows my Dell U3011 away like everyone that said it would. I can go to sleep a happy and fulfilled man :)

Add me to the Samsung 48js9000 train! Toot Toot!

I've bought from Adorama before and haven't had a problem. Lets hope for a flawless panel *crosses fingers* 400$ credit card rebate is awesome...Don't think I'll do the phone thing as I don't want to open a new phone contract just to get a new phone..
Any1 know of any other ways to get the phone aside from signing up for a new contract? I hope this TV blows my Dell U3011 away like everyone that said it would. I can go to sleep a happy and fulfilled man :)

Congrats! I still have two Dell U3007 here in my office and this JS9000 blows those totally out of the water. Yeah, those are a bit old. :)

I think I have gotten over missing the rebate and will be happy with my pixel perfect panel and move on. If I got one from Adorama and had a fubar pixel or two in the middle I would freak.

I almost pulled the trigger but the Adorama deal is too much of a gamble. I don't think saving 400 is worth the possibility of being stuck with dead pixels. Looking at reviews they don't budge on that return policy either.

I will wait it out a bit more, maybe there will be a further price reduction once the S6 promo is over with.

Adorama is an electronics shop in NY that sometimes sell gray market intl camera gear like many such shops, marked as non-US and provide their own warranty on it.

I thought Adorama was considered gray market at best.

Adorama, B&H, BuyDig, etc. I've bought from all of them and have never had issues. They are all reputable sellers. Granted, no store is perfect, as with life...You just deal with crap when in comes your way..

48JS9000 arrived today in perfect condition, until I turned it on. A single red stuck pixel in the center of the screen. Tried the eraser and the jscreenfix with no luck. Any other suggestions? I love the tv otherwise, may be an excuse to order from adorama for the rebate.

Any chance you can post a picture of your stuck pixel? I want to see how large it looks at 4K 48" ;)

I opened up paint full screen and with the paintbrush set to the smallest size put a single red dot in the center. That should simulate your stuck red pixel, correct?

quick question. Does the Samsung ship with a HDMI 2.0 cable? If not, do you guys recommend Flea-bay. monoprice or Local Frys, BBuy? I usually get mine from Monoprice.

quick question. Does the Samsung ship with a HDMI 2.0 cable? If not, do you guys recommend Flea-bay. monoprice or Local Frys, BBuy? I usually get mine from Monoprice.

They don't ship with an HDMI cable.

Many of us bought the Mediabridge Ultra HDMI cable from Amazon. Affordable and known to work. That's not to say that others won't work, but I'd go with something known and trusted.

Bought this one, works perfectly.

Mediabridge ULTRA Series HDMI Cable (6 Feet) - High-Speed Supports Ethernet, 3D and Audio Return [Newest Standard]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019EHU8G

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Did you consider the 40-42" 4K monitors from Philips, Seki, Mango and Crossover or did the build quality worry you?

Edit some of these monitors go to 43" or 49"

After reading up for month on the larger sizes, wanted 48" minimum, and the Samsung seemed to be the way to go. I did however look. I have had excellent results with the Samsung TVs, better than any other, so I am a bit brand loyal as well.

They don't ship with an HDMI cable.

Many of us bought the Mediabridge Ultra HDMI cable from Amazon. Affordable and known to work. That's not to say that others won't work, but I'd go with something known and trusted.

Thanks for the info. So I would assume HDMI over display port. My 980 Ti's got all the ports needed, just wanted to know what other people have gone with

Edit-My bad-Just looked at the specs on the One box.. I guess this box minimizes wires to the TV. Seems kind of bulky though. Guess I can Velcro it to the back of my desk

Last edited:
Back