New Samsung 4k for everyone.

60hz max. The 7000 series have faster pixel response (less blur/ghosting) than the 6 series - that was worth it alone for me as I woned both. Also, I'm not a gloss guy but I actually found the 7500's full gloss to be easier on the eyes than the semi-gloss 6700. The 6700 semi-gloss had a weird glow on any reflection that was way worse than the type of reflections I get oin the 7500. Pretty much exactly as the reviewers stated. Go 7 series if you can afford it.

Last edited:
120hz, could be, but connected to my graphic card ( GTX 980 ) i won't get more than 60Hz, do i ?

No you won't but some people have found less ghosting on that 120hz panel and the frame interpolation features will likely take advantage of it. And of course for the gloss.

If you want the 6000 series and it seems you do, you have your answer ;)

What about the colors on 7500 vs 6500 ? I do a lot of photo editing, as well. IPS ? no way
Thanks

Which panel type would you recommend between glossy screen and semi-gloss screen ?
Main purpose - computer monitor, never as a tv
I selected a few models, Samsung 6 serie, and tried to compare with the 7100
Do you think is worth 300 - 400 $ more for the 7100 ?
Let's give an example : we have 2 displays, same specs, same size.
One is glossy screen and the other one semi-gloss screen. Same room, same lights, dark, same video driver settings, same OSD settings, whatever
Which one would look better ?

All depends on your work environment. What kind of light source and from what direction in the room. Bright room with light source from the side and back. You'll want the Semi-gloss. Dark room with low level interior lights. you can go with the glossy.

Believe me, you'll use it as a TV. Well, maybe not for watching over the air stuff. But unless you have other high end 4K TV in the house, you'll find the Samsung is probably better than any other 1080p HDTV when it comes to watching Blu-ray and other media files. There is so match details in the dark area that I start re-watching some movies that have a lot of dark scenes (like Thor TDW). I using mine more often than the 60" plasma in the living room now. I only use the plasma if I'm watching something that I want a full sound effect with my 18" sub.

I have both the 6700 and 7500 at one point in the same room at same location. The only difference is that during the day when light leaks thru the curtains, there's more reflection from the glossy screen, not really bad but enough to be distracting at time. In the evening. Both looks really good. I honestly don't really see a lot of difference between the two on picture quality. The only reason I kept the 7500 is that I got it when Newegg mis-priced it so it's only $200 more than the 6700 and I figure the 4:4:4 4K@60Hz on all 4 HDMI ports vs one on the 6700 and 3D is worth that. Otherwise I would have been very happy with the 6700.

In my office, glossy screens work best next to the window, but monitors on other walls reflect the light from the window and benefit from matte screens.

Well, the deal is done. I called Crutchfield yesterday evening and arranged to return both of my existing units and get the 48JS9000. The good news is, I was able to talk them down on the return freight shipping, so they're taking both TVs back for $75 instead of the $135 ($125 + $10) that I anticipated paying. And they're going to arrange it so that UPS freight will pick up the 6700 and 7500 when they drop off the 9000, so I don't have to take 2 days off from work to meet them. Only bad thing is that I won't be able to have the 9000 and 7500 side by side to compare the two. Based on what I've read I wouldn't keep the 7500 anyway, but I won't be able to give direct A/B impressions as I was able to with the 6700 and 7500.

Pretty stoked. Bring on teh dots!

Well, the deal is done. I called Crutchfield yesterday evening and arranged to return both of my existing units and get the 48JS9000. The good news is, I was able to talk them down on the return freight shipping, so they're taking both TVs back for $75 instead of the $135 ($125 + $10) that I anticipated paying. And they're going to arrange it so that UPS freight will pick up the 6700 and 7500 when they drop off the 9000, so I don't have to take 2 days off from work to meet them. Only bad thing is that I won't be able to have the 9000 and 7500 side by side to compare the two. Based on what I've read I wouldn't keep the 7500 anyway, but I won't be able to give direct A/B impressions as I was able to with the 6700 and 7500.

Wooooooooo! exiting all 3 48 inches?

Wooooooooo! exiting all 3 48 inches?

Exiting 2, entering 1. ;)

Wiz33 said:
I have both the 6700 and 7500 at one point in the same room at same location. The only difference is that during the day when light leaks thru the curtains, there's more reflection from the glossy screen, not really bad but enough to be distracting at time. In the evening. Both looks really good. I honestly don't really see a lot of difference between the two on picture quality. The only reason I kept the 7500 is that I got it when Newegg mis-priced it so it's only $200 more than the 6700 and I figure the 4:4:4 4K@60Hz on all 4 HDMI ports vs one on the 6700 and 3D is worth that. Otherwise I would have been very happy with the 6700.

This is how I feel as well. Sometimes I do feel that the glossy screen provides slightly deeper blacks, makes colors pop a bit more, and facilitates a slightly crisper image, but I really enjoyed my 6700 (especially for the price) and would have been MORE than satisfied with it if higher models hadn't been available and my fellow forum-goers hadn't caused the upgrade bug to bite. Anyone who maxed out their budget or has no desire to upgrade from the 6700/6500 should sleep well, as they are tremendous displays for the money. If my circumstances were such that I had to go back to the 6 series, I'd still choose them over anything else in the display market right now.

Congrats! My unit should arrive tomorrow - tremendous excitement!

.Anyone who maxed out their budget or has no desire to upgrade from the 6700/6500 should sleep well, as they are tremendous displays for the money. If my circumstances were such that I had to go back to the 6 series, I'd still choose them over anything else in the display market right now.
I order tomorrow the 6500, 40 inches
The only think i'm affraid, are the colors :D
Hope they are great looking after i do the osd / driver graphic settings

Exiting 2, entering 1. ;)

This is how I feel as well. Sometimes I do feel that the glossy screen provides slightly deeper blacks, makes colors pop a bit more, and facilitates a slightly crisper image, but I really enjoyed my 6700 (especially for the price) and would have been MORE than satisfied with it if higher models hadn't been available and my fellow forum-goers hadn't caused the upgrade bug to bite. Anyone who maxed out their budget or has no desire to upgrade from the 6700/6500 should sleep well, as they are tremendous displays for the money. If my circumstances were such that I had to go back to the 6 series, I'd still choose them over anything else in the display market right now.

I think you hit it right on the head "over anything else in the display market right now" I think the 48 inch js9000 is the pinnacle of that statement ... but it totally extends to the whole Samsung lineup!

I was not able to consistantly get the super low lag I mentioned earlier ... but it was always good and totally better than before the update. I will write more on that later.

the 3d oh the 3d, I was sitting at KB/M distance and was good but not comfortable all the time ... grabbed a controller and sat back about 5 feet OH MY OH MY, really is 3dvision good and NO performance hit!!! and 4K and 48 inches OMG almost like having a second TX in 3d scenarios.... though I will likely be getting a real Second TX soon enough.

My JS9000 is going back to fry's hot pixel near the top but I already have another in route from Tiger Direct hehe ;) HAPPY times ... so I have 2 JS9000 and a single JU7500 and an Acer XB270HU on my card and a second Acer that JUST got refunded ... it has been a BUSY last few weeks testing all these displays! But came thru it with the BIG winner!

It was SO hard choosing between the JU7500 40 inch and that acer but this JS9000 changes it all LOL. Now granted the JU7500 might have gotten an updated firmware reducing lag even more since I returned it about 6 days ago.

Hey I would love to know if the lag seems different especially with Clear or Standard motion on with the 6700 vs the 9000.... be great to share that info with this group!

updated firmware vs updated firmware (could the octocore be making a difference)?

I think you hit it right on the head "over anything else in the display market right now" I think the 48 inch js9000 is the pinnacle of that statement ... but it totally extends to the whole Samsung lineup!

I was not able to consistantly get the super low lag I mentioned earlier ... but it was always good and totally better than before the update. I will write more on that later.

Please do.

I went back and read your posts to try to find out - there has only been one update since you got the unit, correct? What is the current firmware version?

A quick update on my "viewing angles" issue with my curved 40ju6500 (EU 6500 is curved, corresponds to 6700 US)..
As I mentioned I'm coming from a 32" IPS Panasonic TV-monitor with perfect viewing angles, so this experience with this Samsung has been really unbearable for me. No matter how I look at it, roughly 30-50% of the screen real estate is losing colors.. Moving the screen further away from me makes things better, but as a monitor I naturally want it to be close to me..

For this reason I ordered a new LG 40" 2015 IPS model. Expecting it tomorrow or worst case scenario Monday. I know as a TV it's worse than Samsung, but it's IPS, so I'm hoping it will be a monitor winner, at least for me.
But the main reason for this post is this "viewing angle test" I found... I think my sample must be flawed in some way, I must have lost in a panel lottery, since none of you guys (maybe one exception that I can remember) ever reported this issues, so I'm putting this test forward to you, interested to hear your thoughts.

Here is the test: Test
Please read a short instructions.

Now, what this test reveals on my screen is really troubling.. Especially on the first and second (blue) image.. "Lagom" image gets completely washed out in all corners, so much so I cannot even see the text. And the blue image gets all purple on all sides, which intensifies when I move closer to the screen.

Yeah, that's that.. Sorry for being so negative and spoiling the mood. :(

edit: I just ran this test on a 2013 Samsung 32 inch VA TV and the result is similarly bad.. But since the screen is smaller, it becomes this much less of an issue.. So now I'm thinking my 40ju6500 is not a odd one out, but it is perhaps representative to a whole series and you guys are simply not bothered by it..

Last edited:
A quick update on my "viewing angles" issue with my curved 40ju6500 (EU 6500 is curved, corresponds to 6700 US)..
As I mentioned I'm coming from a 32" IPS Panasonic TV-monitor with perfect viewing angles, so this experience with this Samsung has been really unbearable for me. No matter how I look at it, roughly 30-50% of the screen real estate is losing colors.. Moving the screen further away from me makes things better, but as a monitor I naturally want it to be close to me..

For this reason I ordered a new LG 40" 2015 IPS model. Expecting it tomorrow or worst case scenario Monday. I know as a TV it's worse than Samsung, but it's IPS, so I'm hoping it will be a monitor winner, at least for me.

I assume you mean the
LF 6300
well did you read this review?
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/lg/lf6300
It said
CONS
High input lag and significant motion blur

I assume you mean the
LF 6300
well did you read this review?
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/lg/lf6300
It said
CONS
High input lag and significant motion blur

No, 6300 is a HD model... I ordered the entry 4k model, which is UF67XX.. And I saw the reviews.. I know about uniformity problems, bad contrast and 59ms input lag, but I'm not so bothered by that... In the LG thread someone reported lag is not noticeable, and I can hopefully live with other cons.. On the other hand, I really cannot live with this viewing angles.
I mean, it makes sense as a TV where you are sitting 3-4 meters away, but using it as a monitor you sit 60-90 cm away..

Plus there is this "reddish" issue on a white surface that I and two other "curved owners" reported about. I don't know.. To me, this screen is far from perfect and it made me lower my expectations quite a bit, that's why I think LG will be at least acceptable, if not more.. But I'll see.

which LG UF67xx are you talking about ?
Are you sure it's support 4:4:4 / 4k@60hz ?

which LG UF67xx are you talking about ?
Are you sure it's support 4:4:4 / 4k@60hz ?

UF671, which is same as UF675, just with different stand. Same as UF6700 US model.. It states in a manual it supports 4:4:4 4k@60, and some other guys confirmed it, but for UF 77XX models..

So I'm ~98% certain it supports it. :rolleyes:

But the main reason for this post is this "viewing angle test" I found... I think my sample must be flawed in some way, I must have lost in a panel lottery, since none of you guys (maybe one exception that I can remember) ever reported this issues, so I'm putting this test forward to you, interested to hear your thoughts.

Here is the test: Test
Please read a short instructions.

Now, what this test reveals on my screen is really troubling.. Especially on the first and second (blue) image.. "Lagom" image gets completely washed out in all corners, so much so I cannot even see the text. And the blue image gets all purple on all sides, which intensifies when I move closer to the screen.

Yeah, that's that.. Sorry for being so negative and spoiling the mood. :(

edit: I just ran this test on a 2013 Samsung 32 inch VA TV and the result is similarly bad.. But since the screen is smaller, it becomes this much less of an issue.. So now I'm thinking my 40ju6500 is not a odd one out, but it is perhaps representative to a whole series and you guys are simply not bothered by it..

I see what you mean by using those test patterns, At 32" distance, the most obvious is the Gamma test. The Lagom while visible once you're off eye enter and get more noticeable towards the edge. It never look "washout" to me and I do not have the blue-green at the top and red at the bottom problem.

The Color test is less dramatic with noticeable shift only starting about 3" from the edge.

Here's what it looks like on mine:

Gamma

First Blue

Red

Green

2nd Blue

But I didn't notice any of this while using it normally or while viewing media files (but I tends to sit back a bit further while watching media files). I'll try this on the 32" Acer B326HK 4K IPS at the office tomorrow and see if it's better.

Last edited:
Good luck, Darwin. Let us know how you like the LG. I don't think it's for me, but you have to do what makes you happy if you're using it a lot. I'll try the test tomorrow maybe, but I've never been bothered by the viewing angles on the Samsung and I probably sit closer than some, based on discussions that occurred much earlier in the thread. Many people reported that they sat 3'+ away from the 48"; I sit less than 3' away which is why the 40" felt like the better size for me, even though I have kept going with the 48" models for their immersion in games. And with the JS9000, I have no choice as 48" is the smallest size.

Good luck, Darwin. Let us know how you like the LG. I don't think it's for me, but you have to do what makes you happy if you're using it a lot. I'll try the test tomorrow maybe, but I've never been bothered by the viewing angles on the Samsung and I probably sit closer than some, based on discussions that occurred much earlier in the thread. Many people reported that they sat 3'+ away from the 48"; I sit less than 3' away which is why the 40" felt like the better size for me, even though I have kept going with the 48" models for their immersion in games. And with the JS9000, I have no choice as 48" is the smallest size.

I agree, I like sitting a bit closer and the 40 was PERFECT but no JS9000 40 inch and well the 48 works better for media consumption as well HEHE!

Well I have a 7100 and it doesn't look as bad as your pictures, not sure what to tell you. Are curves worst than flats? Then again, how often do you stare at a solid color background? There are downsides to every tech, but IPS glow makes all your black background an uneven milky white. I know that black backgrounds occur more often than solid colored backgrounds. So really, it's up to you what you can live with. There's no perfect tech.

Well I have a 7100 and it doesn't look as bad as your pictures, not sure what to tell you. Are curves worst than flats? Then again, how often do you stare at a solid color background? There are downsides to every tech, but IPS glow makes all your black background an uneven milky white. I know that black backgrounds occur more often than solid colored backgrounds. So really, it's up to you what you can live with. There's no perfect tech.

That what I said at the end. I am perfectly happy with my 7500. I don't go looking fro trouble that I don't see but since he posted the test patterns. I figure I'll give it a go and see but since I don't notice it when I browse, work, game and watch HD media. I really don't care.

Last edited:
@Darwin, i wonder how you like the IPS panel, compared to VA
I know, black and contrast aren't as good, but colors
Where could i see some comparisons between VA / IPS ?
Some pictures, videos.
Thank you

Last edited:
I know that black backgrounds occur more often than solid colored backgrounds.
Do you mean for gaming ?
I think black backgrounds occur more often on some MMORPG, but depends which game ...

That was perfect. Based on what you've provided, I'll definitely update to the latest firmware as soon as I have it connected to the PC.

One question: it sounds like I don't have to use the same "renaming trick" to get 4k/60Hz that others have described for their 6700/7500. Is this correct? Just enable UHD color?

I'll save additional questions until I have it on my desk. Thanks again!

I have been following the conversation between supermi and Honeydew, haha gotta love userid's.

I have been using a Dell 30" IPS for a long time. I also have an assortment of top end Plasma tvs and lcds throughout the house, so I am a bit of a display geek. All this talk of new got me interested in the IPS 144Hz display with Gsync. Ultimately at 27" and less pixels then my Dell, I couldn't justify $800 for smoother gameplay.

Like many of you a curve on a TV doesn't interest me, however a curve on a computer monitor is kind of a dream come true. I always wanted one. So after the talk I trekked on down to Best Buy with my daughter to play in the TV aisle. There was a Samsung 6700 curved setup at 55" I think, with a matte finish. At 55" you could see the pixel structure up close, and I could tell the matte finish wasn't my style. The colors just didn't pop like the glossy.

After reading what was said here I did a little research. The bit that swung me to buying the JS9000 was the 10 bit color panel and HDR support. See: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/tvs/1402871/samsung-SUHD-js9000-tv-review

My concerns are seeing the pixel structure up close (I am typing this on a Retina MBP), and possibly input lag from HDMI and video processing in the screen (maybe a game mode fixes this?).

I will report back once I get it an play around in GTA V, Diablo 3, and Battlefield 4. If it doesn't work out I will return it and drop down to a cheaper 43" Sony 4K, and wait a few years for HDR to mature.

BTW I got a great deal on an alienware outlet computer with 3 GTX 980s, so driving the pixels should be a doable task. If you play games with a single graphics card, driving a 4K display at 60 fps requires lowering some settings, so that may play into your buying decision.

I have been following the conversation between supermi and Honeydew, haha gotta love userid's.

I have been using a Dell 30" IPS for a long time. I also have an assortment of top end Plasma tvs and lcds throughout the house, so I am a bit of a display geek. All this talk of new got me interested in the IPS 144Hz display with Gsync. Ultimately at 27" and less pixels then my Dell, I couldn't justify $800 for smoother gameplay.

Like many of you a curve on a TV doesn't interest me, however a curve on a computer monitor is kind of a dream come true. I always wanted one. So after the talk I trekked on down to Best Buy with my daughter to play in the TV aisle. There was a Samsung 6700 curved setup at 55" I think, with a matte finish. At 55" you could see the pixel structure up close, and I could tell the matte finish wasn't my style. The colors just didn't pop like the glossy.

After reading what was said here I did a little research. The bit that swung me to buying the JS9000 was the 10 bit color panel and HDR support. See: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/tvs/1402871/samsung-SUHD-js9000-tv-review

My concerns are seeing the pixel structure up close (I am typing this on a Retina MBP), and possibly input lag from HDMI and video processing in the screen (maybe a game mode fixes this?).

I will report back once I get it an play around in GTA V, Diablo 3, and Battlefield 4. If it doesn't work out I will return it and drop down to a cheaper 43" Sony 4K, and wait a few years for HDR to mature.

BTW I got a great deal on an alienware outlet computer with 3 GTX 980s, so driving the pixels should be a doable task. If you play games with a single graphics card, driving a 4K display at 60 fps requires lowering some settings, so that may play into your buying decision.

Text on the 48" isn't quite as crisp/sharp as on the 40", which is another thing that I liked about the 40", but the upside is that reading text on the 48" is easier on the eyes due to the bump in size. I don't think I'd want to go any bigger than 48", due to both the text issue and simple ergonomic reasons. That's just too darn big unless you're sitting way back, in which case you wouldn't be able to see the pixel structure.

Depending on how far away you'll sit, the 48" should be fine. I only notice the slightly fuzzier text if I lean in and look for it. In normal day to day use, it's great. So I'm not sure how close to the 55" you had to be in order to see the pixel structure, but from my standpoint it's not an issue on the 48". 40" is even better in that regard, but there is no 40" JS9000, unfortunately.

Oh, and keep in mind that the glossy panel of the 7xxx and 9xxx will help make text a little crisper/sharper than on the semi-gloss 6xxx also.

Do you mean for gaming ?
I think black backgrounds occur more often on some MMORPG, but depends which game ...

In gaming, black screens occur all the time, usually as a transition. Fade to black? Also, night scenes, you will see the glow. You almost never see all green, red, blue, etc.

In gaming, black screens occur all the time, usually as a transition. Fade to black? Also, night scenes, you will see the glow. You almost never see all green, red, blue, etc.

Exactly. This post, and Cyph's post a few above this one were spot-on.

And not only black screens during transitions, but in dark games in general (think Amnesia, Outcast, and other horror games). Can't stand dat IPS glow. Though new panels may be getting better; the BenQ BL3201PH had very little IPS glow and my Dell U3415W wan't terrible either. I wouldn't automatically assume that this carries over to larger and different TV panels, though, especially ones that aren't high-end. The BL3201PH has a pretty high-end panel for something outside of the professional ($2K+) market, hence the cost.

"Aside from my glow free Qnix QX2710, the BL3201PH provides the darkest black and least amount of glow out of all of the AHVA/IPS/PLS panels I have reviewed."

Text on the 48" isn't quite as crisp/sharp as on the 40", which is another thing that I liked about the 40", but the upside is that reading text on the 48" is easier on the eyes due to the bump in size. I don't think I'd want to go any bigger than 48", due to both the text issue and simple ergonomic reasons. That's just too darn big unless you're sitting way back, in which case you wouldn't be able to see the pixel structure.

Depending on how far away you'll sit, the 48" should be fine. I only notice the slightly fuzzier text if I lean in and look for it. In normal day to day use, it's great. So I'm not sure how close to the 55" you had to be in order to see the pixel structure, but from my standpoint it's not an issue on the 48". 40" is even better in that regard, but there is no 40" JS9000, unfortunately.

Oh, and keep in mind that the glossy panel of the 7xxx and 9xxx will help make text a little crisper/sharper than on the semi-gloss 6xxx also.

You say the text on the 48" JS9000 is fuzzy up close.. This very much concerns me because thus far all of my monitors have had perfectly discrete pixel structure as far as I could tell up close, which I need for coding. So the JS9000 doesn't have a discrete pixel structure?

I echo imyourzero's reply to you. I have the 40" 6700 on the side of my 48" JS9000 and the text is a bit sharper on the 40", but so much more readable on the 48". I also came from Dell u3011's (triple) and I think you will love the JS9000. There will always be trade offs, but I'm absolutely loving my Samsung displays/TVs

You say the text on the 48" JS9000 is fuzzy up close.. This very much concerns me because thus far all of my monitors have had perfectly discrete pixel structure as far as I could tell up close, which I need for coding. So the JS9000 doesn't have a discrete pixel structure?

I don't have the JS9000 yet, but I said that it was slightly fuzzier on the 48" (6700 & 7500) when compared to the 40". And text on the 40" will be slightly fuzzier than 4K text on a 32" monitor, etc.

Let me clarify - it's perfectly crisp at normal viewing distances. If you put your nose to the screen, the text isn't going to be quite as sharp/crisp as it is on a smaller monitor with the same resolution. That's always been the case with any LCD. As a display gets larger per a given resolution, you lose some of the crispness due to the increased size of the pixels.

If you're after the crispest text that you can get, go with a 28" 4K monitor. I think you might be overblowing the issue as the text is extremely good and very crisp/sharp (nothing like older TVs that didn't do 4:4:4), but if you're really concerned about it then go with 40" or even 32"/28". Most people buying these large displays are going to be gaming on them, not just doing productivity work, so we're willing to trade ultra ultra ultra sharp text for easier readability and vastly increased immersion when gaming. It's a trade-off yes, but you can't have most crisp AND most readable at the same time. Again, it's very good on the 40" and even the 48". The fact that these display text just as a true monitor would is what makes them so great for day to day use.

I know what you're talking about as far as it being important for coding, though. It's not like old TVs where text will be distorted. Here's an idea of what to expect:

In PC mode with 4:4:4, text will look like this:

chroma-subsampling-test-4k-tv.png

Not this:

2015-02-13214436.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

See the difference between non 4:4:4 displays and these?

Last edited:
Ah ok thanks. I'd still be getting one anyhow. Just waiting until the end of the sale so the warranty and return policy last longer because I'm not getting a video card until the new AMDs are released and benchmarked.

Ah ok thanks. I'd still be getting one anyhow. Just waiting until the end of the sale so the warranty and return policy last longer because I'm not getting a video card until the new AMDs are released and benchmarked.

I sit pretty close to my 48" JS9000 (and it was the same for the 48" JU6700) - approx 28-30 inches. There are NO issues with how the text looks as long as you are doing 4K @ 60Hz 4:4:4. Don't worry.

Last edited:

Lets clarify this for you.

What these guys are saying is that the actual pixels are larger than the 40 there for there are more pixels per square inch on the 40 at 110.15 vs the 48 (47.6 actual) 92.56. This means as you get closer and farther from the screen the point at which the text becomes hard to read due to being too small on the 40 is sooner than the 48 and with the size of the 48 you are going to likely sit a tiny bit farther back.

In the same vein the point when going closer to the screen at which the pixels are individually recognizable is going to come sooner on the 48 than the 40.

(this is different than A. fuzziness caused by less than full chroma subsampling which was detailed in some photos in a post above as well as B. fuzziness by diffusion of light in the semigloss you saw, yuk)

To give those 2 concepts examples.

#1 say you want to sit back in your chair a little or the screen is say 2 or 3 feet back from where you sit then the 40 might become a little straining to read due to the small font where the 48 is perfectly readable as everything starting with the pixels and screen size and ending up with the fonts are scaled up.

#2 If you like to be a fixed distance to the screen regardless of the actual size of the screen then you are going to notice the pixels on the 48 sooner than the 40. This can be interpreted as being fuzzy but the better term is apparent resolution at that distance is lower.

Connecting that last idea to the first example: the point at which apparent resolution creates fine details which are too fine to see easily will happen at a closer distance to the 40 than the 48 as well.

Some context for you

1440p monitor at 27 inches like those gsync ips ones is 109ppi
4k at 40 inches is 110.15ppi
4k at 47.6 inches is 92.56ppi
1080p at 24 inches is 91.79ppi
1080p at 27 inches is 81.59ppi

so as you can see the ppi of the 40 is pretty close to that of the 1440 at 27 inches, which means at the same distance you have the same apparent resolution but more screen space. 40 inches is comfy at a similar distance to the 1440 at 27 though I found myself pushing it say 8 inches farther back, still seeming crisper and larger than the 27 1440. That is the cool thing, you can move the larger display around and depending on your uses the 40 or 48 or 27 are gonna find that sweet zone for you easier.

With the 48 I find that it is comfy to sit a little farther back sort of like the maximum I would sit back for the 40 is the perfect spot for the 48, the point at which I do not discern any less resolution but still see the words easier on the 48 than the 40 ... much like the 27 to the 40 now going to the 48 I found a nice spot where the text is as readable (more so as the 40 becomes a little small fairly quickly for me as I sit back) and more immersive as there is still more peripheral covered. Again the sweet spot thing.

I found with the 40 that it was a better conventional monitor size ... really crisp but not so crisp to need a magnifying glass. the 48 was well a bit different for me at first at least ... I sort of thought about each window as a separate monitor LOL and focused on each one and the rest of the monitor became a bit like a digital wall?

I admit that at this point #1 if I was just getting the tv as a monitor I would really consider the 40 again (not gaming not much media use). Otherwise the 48 is almost the best at everything, great monitor .... great media consumption device and potentially upgradable to be better at gaming hahaha via hardware updates in the years to come.

Seriously though if you sit close to the screen just order the 40 inch period ... especially with what you have been asking you will be happier if you just want percieved clarity and are willing to sit a little closer or a little farther (the size really makes it easy to sit a tiny bit farther back) then the 48 is gonna be a DREAM ;)

both great choices :D

Yes great post indeed. I'm old school and prefer to make out the discrete pixels when viewing. I tend to prefer 90ish ppi from about two feet away.

Back