New Samsung 4k for everyone.

It doesn't matter. My point was that based on forum posts, everybody was waiting for the 390X as if it was going to be some powerhouse OMG card...but as it turns out, it's just going to be a rebadge. If Fury was the actual next-gen card that everyone was waiting for, I thought it strange that I never saw it mentioned because everybody was all about the 390X which doesn't seem like much to get excited over.

A quick search on this thread illustrates my point. Lots of mentions of the 390X, nothing on Fury until the past day or so when this conversation started. Strange that people weren't talking about and anticipating Fury instead, which is why I asked if the name was kept under wraps.

"Fury" wasn't even public knowledge at that time. Everyone calling the next card a 390X is just assuming that would be its name, when they are actually discussing Bermuda. Same way I could assume the next nVidia card could be called something like the GTX 1080Ti OMG edition.

390X is simply the idea of the next highend card out of AMD - it doesn't matter what AMD decides to call it on release.

I'm in the market for a new 4k monitor, primarily for work and PC gaming, and this thread has definitely shifted my attention towards the Samsung 6700/7500/9000 products. For reference, I currently have a Dell U3011 (2560 x1600) driven by a pair of GTX 980s in SLI.

I found imyourzero's post comparing the 6700 and the 7500 to be particularly helpful and, as a result, I believe I'll be purchasing the 48JU6700 very shortly. While the promise of slight reductions in ghosting with the 7500/9000 is compelling, the lack of a consistent delta in perceived performance leads me to believe the difference will likely be negligible to me - at least for the non-trivial increase in cost. I'm also not willing to pay 2k for the 9000, when I feel the 6700/7500 provides a much better value.

With this in mind, I was wondering if someone could make an HDMI cable recommendation for this unit. I've noticed various references to the importance of selecting the proper cable, and perhaps even cable length, to ensure functionality and reliability. I would also be grateful for a concise guide on how best to setup and configure the 6700. Various folks have sprinkled pieces of advice throughout this rather lengthy thread, but new revelations (e.g., the value of AMP) have made it difficult for new or non-owners to identify a clear path to optimal functionality when starting from an unopened box. For example, should I install the latest firmware?

Thanks again to everyone who made meaningful contributions to this thread. It has been quite helpful to those considering a defection to 4k TVs for dedicated monitor duty.

Last edited:
@Honeydew

The cable length is a big issue with displaying a 4K signal at 60Hz:4:4:4. I believe only 1 person has gotten a 15ft cable to work. There are several with 10ft cables, but of you can do a 6ft your chance of success is better.

Here is the 10ft cable that I am using.

Just as an example - I have 2 different Monoprice 6' 18.2Gbps cables and only 1 of them works reliably. They are the exact same cable, so hope for the best but don't be surprised if it is a cable issue.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Okay - for those that are interested, here is my new setup: 40" JU6700, 48" JS9000, 40" JU6700

MRN8jNp.png

Absolutely love this setup. I don't think I will routinely use more than 70% of the side displays actively, but I am very happy with being able to play video on either side and still have my center display for active work/play.

So is there a quality difference between the JU6500 and the other models?

@vorpel: That is an amazing setup! Thank you for the recommendation. It seems clear shorter is better, and I believe I can make a 6' work - perhaps even shorter.

Anyone have a recommendation for a high-quality short cable that has worked well with the 6700?

Okay - for those that are interested, here is my new setup: 40" JU6700, 48" JS9000, 40" JU6700

MRN8jNp.png

Absolutely love this setup. I don't think I will routinely use more than 70% of the side displays actively, but I am very happy with being able to play video on either side and still have my center display for active work/play.

Holy shit man - nice background by the way, I chose the same for mine

@vorpel: That is an amazing setup! Thank you for the recommendation. It seems clear shorter is better, and I believe I can make a 6' work - perhaps even shorter.

Anyone have a recommendation for a high-quality short cable that has worked well with the 6700?

The Mediabridge cable on Amazon I linked should work great. It has worked with all of my Samsung displays.

Vorpel

Have you noticed much difference in the js vs the ju for gaming? I assume all of your monitors are in PC mode?

"Fury" wasn't even public knowledge at that time. Everyone calling the next card a 390X is just assuming that would be its name, when they are actually discussing Bermuda. Same way I could assume the next nVidia card could be called something like the GTX 1080Ti OMG edition.

390X is simply the idea of the next highend card out of AMD - it doesn't matter what AMD decides to call it on release.

Got it, makes perfect sense. Thanks for the clarification. I'm surprised people didn't know about the Fury name earlier, as typically the PC hardware sites have that information well beforehand whether it be Maxwell, Fermi, Ivy Bridge, Bulldozer, etc.

Now you KNOW that you can't just drop that post in here without leaving detailed impressions of the JS9000, as I believe only one other person has one and his post with impressions was a little...erratic, lol.

To echo vorpel, that Mediabridge ULTRA cable is a solid choice. I don't think that you could go wrong with the 6' version of it.

Vorpel

Have you noticed much difference in the js vs the ju for gaming? I assume all of your monitors are in PC mode?

Correct - running each display in PC mode. Not all the firmwares are up to date. I am hoping to everything synced tonight.

I do plan to go to 3 separate computers with 1 display each, but for now I have a GTX 980, and 2 GTX 960's in my main system. I only put the 960's in so I could see all 3 displays until I get the other two systems setup (they've been sitting for a while).

The only differences I am noticing between the 6700 and the 9000 is the color is a bit richer on the 9000 and blacks appear deeper. I did get the basic picture settings the same on all. I think part of that difference is the glossy vs semi-gloss screens.

Honestly if my local store hadn't given me a break on the 48" JS9000 ($150 off as it was a special order that was cancelled before delivery) I don't know if I would/could justify the cost difference. I do think the colors look better, but I still need to do some more extensive comparisons - I've just not had any time and only got it setup and wired yesterday afternoon.

I will post more comparisons later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks!

Got it, makes perfect sense. Thanks for the clarification. I'm surprised people didn't know about the Fury name earlier, as typically the PC hardware sites have that information well beforehand whether it be Maxwell, Fermi, Ivy Bridge, Bulldozer, etc.

It's not any different really - I believe Bermuda is its code name, just like Maxwell, Fermi, Ivy Bridge, Bulldozer, etc are all code names. The final products are GTX 980, GTX 580, i7 4770k, AMD FX BLAH BLAH, and Fury. The code name matters for discussion, the product name on release doesn't.

Code names - Intel Ivy Bridge - AMD Bermuda
Product names - Intel i7 4000-series - AMD 390X, Fury (the latter being the correct name for the product that has been code-named Bermuda)

People may start calling the next i7 a 5770k, same as calling the next Radeon card a 390X, but discussion until product names are released really SHOULD be based on the code names.

For all intents and purposes, people discussing what the "390X" is should now be transposed to read "Fury" now, and likely should drop the 390X discussion as it appears the 390X may be a completely different product than Bermuda.

Either case, I hope we see some good cards out of both sides soon. Not only are graphics cards a bottleneck at 4K, but in desktop applications, our CPUs are also a bottleneck. House searching at 4k resolution has proven to me that Chrome is terrible for usage higher than 2560x1600. I'm trying to switch my main workstation back to Firefox after all the problems I've been experiencing, including in GOOGLE Maps - their own product. Tried a fresh install of Chrome and I still see huge CPU spikes and short freezes while the browser processes. 4K created hardware bottlenecks for a lot of tasks. Lightroom with 36MP raw files, displayed with a full-screen UI, also has a good amount of slowdown at 4K.

We need a breakthrough in computer power!

Now you KNOW that you can't just drop that post in here without leaving detailed impressions of the JS9000, as I believe only one other person has one and his post with impressions was a little...erratic, lol.

To echo vorpel, that Mediabridge ULTRA cable is a solid choice. I don't think that you could go wrong with the 6' version of it.

Erratic?

Busy and posted on my phone in a hurry, you could have asked for details or specific questions.

Sheesh

EDIT
Finally had a chance to get back on here and fix the typos and order up the impression some:

"So after MUCH deliberation I have made my monitor / compromise choice.

Predator :
27 inches, IPS, 144hz, gsync.
What that means, good colors good PPI and SMOOTH SMOOTH SMOITH
Desktop is butter, fps games are flawless, 3rd person like the witcher again so smooth things become somewhat 3d.
This is IPS guys no gama shifts , great colors and did I say smooth.

Samsung 9000:
The colors, colors and contrast!
48 inches. VA,nano crystals.

So colors are emotional make me feel connected to the game like a good movie, desktop us stunning, all games have a sense of depth from the contrast that I love, again colors are amazing.

Gaming:
Predator is levels upon levels better for immersion in the mechanics of any game, 1st or 3rd person. 144hz adds to that in fps gaming, but even at 60 or 50 or 40 fps you do not get any stutter or artifact (you notice it biiiiig time going back to ANY non gsync monitor after using gsync for any length of time) you really don't know what your missing if and you are missing a lot of smoothness LOL. Predator is the better monitor for any game in terms of immersion into the mechanics of the game, running, panning, feeling the mechanics on the screen as being an extension if yourself.

JS9000 is just magic at colors, warm and inviting cool and cold when ever but is called for, feels "emotionally immersive". Yes 48 inches helps with that LOL, but colors are 1/2 the key, the other 1/2 is contrast, it brings out details and depth in the image, not 3d vision but still a great sense of presence from the depth. Js9000 is the better monitor for emotional immersion into the story and environment!
The JS9000 immersion is challenged by judder and depending on game lag, the predator is challenged by comparatively bland and flat image and this emotional immersion after using the JS9000.

Moving from either monitor to the other is a challenge in different areas! Using either after a day of no PC use (reseting the eyes in a way) is a joy!That means if I don't see 144hz gsync for a day or so then fire up the sammy I do not really miss it very much. Though if all you do is game on your monitor I would 100% recommend the predator, better experience and less video card power needed. Wait on 4k!

If you do a lot of other stuff like video watching and or editing, research (multiple windows open) and gaming is more to break that stuff up then 100% recommend the Samsung!

I hate to pass on the gaming mechanics bliss of the predator but I want to do more than game in the PC and the Sammy will be more inviting for those activities.
So I choose the samsung.

40 JU7500 vs JS9000 48

I would say 40 is a better monitor size over all, but 48 is big enough to sit farther back and thus I find let's my eyes stay more relaxed, and screen us large enough to treat windows like actual monitors in themselves. If I was not also going to use this for some tv use I would seriosly consider the 40 inch 7500

Both are great looking. I found the Ju7500 to strain my eyes a little and have not noticed it on the JS9000,.. the Js9000 might have better motion clarity as well. But as is the 7500 is a great monitor choice. The price between the 7500 and 9000 at 48 inches is only about $500 if I was only using it as a monitor I would give alot of consideration to the 7500 though keep in mind that I seemed to feel less motion blur on the 9000 and the colors do seem more vivid ... no measurements it is just memory here.
One more possible benefit to the JS9000 is if it gets noticable imrovements in future one connect boxes lower lag in PC mode or dare I HOPE DP 1.3 connections OHHH my LOL, it is a gamble of course."

Last edited:
So is the curved UN40JU6700 worth the extra $200 over the UN40JU6500??? Is it really that more immersive like people say on some forums I read??? Any feedback would be much appreciated.... I bought the ju6500 from my local BB and can return it....My local BB didn't have the 40 inch curved just the 55 inch which is way to big for a pc monitor in my book.

My fireware on the UN40JU6500 is 1005....should I upgrade??? everything works as described on this form 444 chroma (NVCP) and the input lag is acceptable under hdmi 1 edited to PC.

My fireware on the UN40JU6500 is 1005....should I upgrade??? everything works as described on this form 444 chroma (NVCP) and the input lag is acceptable under hdmi 1 edited to PC.

There are a few people who have found the stock firmware to have less lag in gaming mode, BUT many others who have found the colors to improve greatly in gaming mode. Most have found any change in lag to be little to none.

If you are sensitive to lag perhaps wait a bit and see what more people say or look over the past forum posts on the subject, THERE ARE LOADS :eek:

So is the curved UN40JU6700 worth the extra $200 over the UN40JU6500??? Is it really that more immersive like people say on some forums I read??? Any feedback would be much appreciated.... I bought the ju6500 from my local BB and can return it....My local BB didn't have the 40 inch curved just the 55 inch which is way to big for a pc monitor in my book.

I have the 40" 6700. First curved monitor. Very immersive.

Can any designers or similar professionals comment on working on a curved display. Because I am pretty sure all of these "lolz more immersive" people are just sitting there playing video games.

Erratic?

Busy and posted on my phone in a hurry, you could have asked for details or specific questions.

Sheesh

Lol supermi it's OK; no need to take offense. It was obvious by the formatting that your post was rushed. I didn't mean anything negative by it. Thanks for cleaning it up!

I do wish that a site that reviewed the 6xxx and 7xxx would review the 9xxx so that we could get some definitive measurements. For anyone wondering whether or not they should upgrade to the 9xxx, your statement "the JS9000 might have better motion clarity as well" leaves us scratching our heads. Again, I don't mean anything negative by that because I didn't do any scientific measurements when comparing the 6700 to the 7500 either. If anything, the fact that you didn't notice a big difference makes me sleep a bit better with what I have. ;)

Can any designers or similar professionals comment on working on a curved display. Because I am pretty sure all of these "lolz more immersive" people are just sitting there playing video games.

Of course we're talking about games (and movies). There is no such thing as a "lolz more immersive" experience in MS Paint or on [H], lol(z).

Lol supermi it's OK; no need to take offense. It was obvious by the formatting that your post was rushed. I didn't mean anything negative by it. Thanks for cleaning it up!

I do wish that a site that reviewed the 6xxx and 7xxx would review the 9xxx so that we could get some definitive measurements. For anyone wondering whether or not they should upgrade to the 9xxx, your statement "the JS9000 might have better motion clarity as well" leaves us scratching our heads. Again, I don't mean anything negative by that because I didn't do any scientific measurements when comparing the 6700 to the 7500 either. If anything, the fact that you didn't notice a big difference makes me sleep a bit better with what I have. ;)

Of course we're talking about games (and movies). There is no such thing as a "lolz more immersive" experience in MS Paint or on [H], lol(z).

Its all good :) it was a mess TBH. Well I do think this 9000 gives a better picture... at $3500 not worth it, right now only $500 more it makes it a tough choice... if you have a 7500 (anyone) be happy with it, really makes a great picture!

As for bluring, well I just noticed at times there seamed like a little smearing on the 7500 and never once seen it on the 9000. For me the price difference was about $363 between the 48 inch 7500 and 9000 and for such a relatively small difference in price I wanted the better screen :)

for me it was more of a 40 vs 48 inch question if it is 48 vs 48 and curved is not needed the 8500 makes a strong case! same price as the 7500 48 and same panel as the 9000 :p

Ya know depends on the work, I suppose it could mess with how you perceive depth if working on video and or photo editing. If you span a single window across the whole screen you can at times see the curve, but as for more immersion, that would be subtle if at all. I do like the curve it is comfy with a 48 inch, I like using it for more than games. Can you bring a laptop down to a local store and at least run it at 1080p and open a few programs?

Personally I'm waiting to see what AMD drops tomorrow.... Hopefully it puts a hurting on the 980ti. We really need more than just nVida in the market and a flop from AMD could be the death nail.

Confirmed no new info until E3 Jun 16-18

A quick search on this thread illustrates my point. Lots of mentions of the 390X, nothing on Fury until the past day or so when this conversation started. Strange that people weren't talking about and anticipating Fury instead, which is why I asked if the name was kept under wraps.

Name was secret, yes

For those of us about to buy please compare the 9000 vs the 6700 for PC/Gaming use only, no TV. Thanks!

skip the 6700 and look at the 7500 then.

Glossy panel
Faster panel

I would be considering the 9000 or 7500 for picture quality and the 6700 and 7500 for price... they intersect at the 7500 (that might be the choice for you)

For vorpel and imyourzero: do you think this cable would be overkill? Is there any advantage to the 27 Gbps vs. the Mediabridge ULTRA's 18Gbps? It's not clear to me the 6700/7500/9000 would be able to take advantage of the extra speed.

Thanks again for the recommendations!

Last edited:
skip the 6700 and look at the 7500 then.

Glossy panel
Faster panel

I would be considering the 9000 or 7500 for picture quality and the 6700 and 7500 for price... they intersect at the 7500 (that might be the choice for you)

Based on the subjective impressions others have shared when comparing the two, it's not clear the 7500 provides less ghosting or reduces input lag when used in PC mode. It would appear to me that there's too much uncertainty to be able to claim, at least somewhat definitively, that the 7500 is "faster" in PC monitor applications (e.g., gaming, productivity software, etc.). Any perceived difference could easily be explained as a placebo response induced by the higher retail price - not unlike folks perceiving more expensive wines as higher quality.

Please note that I'm not claiming they are the same. I'm simply saying we don't know, and the lack of clarity from current owners is consistent with a small difference - if one even exists.

Based on the subjective impressions others have shared when comparing the two, it's not clear the 7500 provides less ghosting or reduces input lag when used in PC mode. It would appear to me that there's too much uncertainty to be able to claim, at least somewhat definitively, that the 7500 is "faster" in PC monitor applications (e.g., gaming, productivity software, etc.). Any perceived difference could easily be explained as a placebo response induced by the higher retail price - not unlike folks perceiving more expensive wines as higher quality.

Please note that I'm not claiming they are the same. I'm simply saying we don't know, and the lack of clarity from current owners is consistent with a small difference - if one even exists.

one panel runs at 60hz one at 120hz... even if it is just in a "clear mode" frame interpolation (which is good) or strobbing (black frame insertion) there are options for less ghosting. the 7500 is also glossy vs a semi gloss on the 6700 and I have a semi gloss IPS next to these samsung here and the semigloss is less clear...

no one here can likely give a definitive response. Even those with some #'s are not always accepted. take what you will from what I said. I find it odd to be asking about the 6700 vs the 9000... the 7500 bridges that gap ... glossy and 120hz (panel not input) like the 9000 vs the 60hz semi gloss of the 6700.

honestly the 7500 and 6700 are relatively cheap ... if you are looking for "price" then get the 6700 or whatever flat version of that there is. if you want a clear monitor get the 7500 and if you want a step up get the 9000. If glossy is not your thing then the 6700 again is the choice :D

or go to stores bring a laptop or pc and boot it up , play around for an hour or so hehe

Just got a new update on my JS9000 and it seems lag is less at least in Clear mode under gaming label. It was not great before this update now feels snappy even in FPS.... also 3d conversion is AWESOME

I was just playing the Witcher 3 MAXED (no AA ) in 3d on the 48 inch JS9000 HAHAHA it is good guys!

one panel runs at 60hz one at 120hz... even if it is just in a "clear mode" frame interpolation (which is good) or strobbing (black frame insertion) there are options for less ghosting. the 7500 is also glossy vs a semi gloss on the 6700 and I have a semi gloss IPS next to these samsung here and the semigloss is less clear...

no one here can likely give a definitive response. Even those with some #'s are not always accepted. take what you will from what I said. I find it odd to be asking about the 6700 vs the 9000... the 7500 bridges that gap ... glossy and 120hz (panel not input) like the 9000 vs the 60hz semi gloss of the 6700.

honestly the 7500 and 6700 are relatively cheap ... if you are looking for "price" then get the 6700 or whatever flat version of that there is. if you want a clear monitor get the 7500 and if you want a step up get the 9000. If glossy is not your thing then the 6700 again is the choice :D

or go to stores bring a laptop or pc and boot it up , play around for an hour or so hehe

I do appreciate all of the information you provided. It was helpful when first evaluating the 9000.

Last edited:
For vorpel and imyourzero: do you think this cable would be overkill? Is there any advantage to the 27 Gbps vs. the Mediabridge ULTRA's 18Gbps? It's not clear to me the 6700/7500/9000 would be able to take advantage of the extra speed.

Thanks again for the recommendations!

Way over priced. Stick with the Mediabridge ULTRA 6 or 10ft.

Monster is just name, and not that good of one anymore (or possibly ever) Of course by typing their name I'm sure I will be sued in short order...!

Just got a new update on my JS9000 and it seems lag is less at least in Clear mode under gaming label. It was not great before this update now feels snappy even in FPS.... also 3d conversion is AWESOME

I was just playing the Witcher 3 MAXED (no AA ) in 3d on the 48 inch JS9000 HAHAHA it is good guys!

Wait, new firmware enables both Amp and game mode at the same time?

I must admit, I'm tempted by all the buzz surrounding the JS9000; I just can't stomach the $2k price. However, supermi mentioned the JS8500 provides exactly the same panel without the curve. Since it's the same price as the curved JU7500, I am definitely tempted to give it a try.

Does anyone have strong feelings about the curve in their monitor? Do you really notice it?

Last edited:
Wait, new firmware enables both Amp and game mode at the same time?

Nope, game in the source name choice.
game mode under the system options in the general folder is still meant to disabel anything.
In the past I would toggle that mode on for less lag and off for more clarity (game label vs game mode).

I am saying in game label with the clear option enables (not led clear but regular old clear) I am seeing WAY less lag after this update!

I must admit, I'm tempted by all the buzz surrounding the JS9000. However, I just can't stomach the $2k price. However, supermi mentioned the JS8500 provides exactly the same panel without the curve. Since it's the same price as the curved JU7500, I am definitely tempted to give it a try.

Does anyone have strong feelings about the curve in their monitor? Do you really notice it?

Same panel, but one connect mini, same as the 7500 so no upgrades and only a quad core if that matters, otherwise the SAME panel just flar ;) :D and the 48 inch is JUST $1500 right now SAME as the 48 inch 7500!!!!!!!! :eek: :confused:

Same panel, but one connect mini, same as the 7500 so no upgrades and only a quad core if that matters, otherwise the SAME panel just flar ;) :D and the 48 inch is JUST $1500 right now SAME as the 48 inch 7500!!!!!!!! :eek: :confused:

This is indeed quite compelling. I'm grateful you mentioned it. Do you notice the curve on your JS9000? Does it add to your sense of immersion when gaming in any appreciable manner?

I'm only going to use the unit as a PC monitor, so I doubt the quad core processor will matter. My time will be uniformly distributed between gaming and work, where I place a premium on a bright, clear, and colorful picture. In this way, it would seem the new "quantum dot" units are an ideal fit. I can make a case for outstanding picture quality at $1500, but an extra $500 just for a curved display is the canonical bridge too far. Since the picture quality difference between the 7500 and 6700 is apparently quite small, I'm either going to go 6700 or 8500 - unless someone can make a more compelling case.

Last edited:
Nope, game in the source name choice.
game mode under the system options in the general folder is still meant to disabel anything.
In the past I would toggle that mode on for less lag and off for more clarity (game label vs game mode).

I am saying in game label with the clear option enables (not led clear but regular old clear) I am seeing WAY less lag after this update

Cool. Will try it tomorrow. See if my 45fps Witcher doesn't turn into a 120fps Witcher. :D

This is indeed quite compelling. I'm grateful you mentioned it. Do you notice the curve on your JS9000? Does it add to your sense of immersion when gaming in any appreciable manner?

I have a 1080p 42 inch monitor as well (actual monitor not tv) and it was VERY immersive ... I think the curve is a subtle thing... I would have to go back and forth to really figure out what it adds... but I do like it ...instead of the edges stretching away from me it sort of hugs my vision , just a little.

also keep in mind the full one connect on the JS9000 is up-gradable and the one connect mini on the 6700, 7500 and 8500 are not (hardware upgrade I mean)

If you want a 48", the JS8500 is a no brainier. It's actually 100 cheaper than the curved 7500. Good thing my return window is already up, or else I may move up to 48" which I really don't want to.

no one here can likely give a definitive response. Even those with some #'s are not always accepted. take what you will from what I said. I find it odd to be asking about the 6700 vs the 9000... /QUOTE]

I only asked for that comparison because he had those 2 side by side. I have a decent idea how the 6700 vs the 7500 is so I could guess at the 7500 vs 9000 difference.

I am definately going to buy a 48" 7500 or 9000

Back