New Samsung 4k for everyone.

Can anyone explain how to route sound from the Smart Hub apps into my Xonar Phoebus soundcard so I can listen through my headphones or PC speakers? I tried running an optical cable with a spdif adapter into the line in portion of my card with no success. Display is hooked up using an HDMI cable.

Plug the headphones into the TV and use HDMI out audio from PC.
But as this means you lose the sound quality of your soundcard for PC audio, the other option is to feed the headphone out from the TV into the soundcard mic in.
You might get a slight delay and TV sound quality might not be quite as good as it is going through 2 DACs and one ADC.

Anyone from the first few days of release holding out on firmware give in and update to the latest yet? Any downsides? Still sitting on 1005 and having a few display blanking issues, wondering if a firmware update is worth it.

Hmm, after having the display, 40 inch curved version, for a couple of days I must say I'm really struggling with the viewing angles.. Even looking it dead centre the colors look washed up at all corners and even on the upper and lower side.. I'm coming from a Panasonic IPS display, so I expected a bit worse viewing angles with VA, but this is really bad.

Thinking about returning it.. How do you guys feel about viewing angles?

Anyone from the first few days of release holding out on firmware give in and update to the latest yet? Any downsides? Still sitting on 1005 and having a few display blanking issues, wondering if a firmware update is worth it.

Been playing with 1212. No issues whatsoever.

Hmm, after having the display, 40 inch curved version, for a couple of days I must say I'm really struggling with the viewing angles.. Even looking it dead centre the colors look washed up at all corners and even on the upper and lower side.. I'm coming from a Panasonic IPS display, so I expected a bit worse viewing angles with VA, but this is really bad.

You're seeing faded corners in games? I have a flat and I don't see it when playing, only with solid colors during Windows login screen.

I have the flat 50ju6500 and the viewing angles are fine for me, but it really only matters for you what you think.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

Viewing angles seem fine to me, even on the 48". I was a bit worried about contrast shift when I upsized, but it wasn't a problem like I was expecting.

Yeah, it's bad on mine.. Not necessary in games, although I think I notice it in BF4 if I truly look for it.
It's mainly in windows, especially certain sites with lighter text, and it's this much worse because I'm browsing full screen since I do not have HDMI 2.0 gpu yet, so I'm on 1080p resolution..

And the curve apparently doesn't help either, according to ratings.com review:

This TV doesn't maintain its colors well when viewed at an angle. The curve of the screen exacerbates this issue, because the side nearer to you is at a greater angler than it would be on a flat screen.

And the curve apparently doesn't help either, according to ratings.com review:

This TV doesn't maintain its colors well when viewed at an angle. The curve of the screen exacerbates this issue, because the side nearer to you is at a greater angler than it would be on a flat screen.

That's if you're using it as a typical TV, and are not sitting directly in the center. Think about it; if you are off to the side (typical for a chair or couch in a den or living room), it would be easy for the curved side that is closest to you to be at a more extreme angle than on a flat TV. Similarly, the other side that's furthest from you would look better than on a flat TV because the viewing angle would be reduced.

This is why I think that curved TVs are somewhat gimmicky for traditional TV use when viewed by 2+ people, because the image for anyone who isn't dead center will be somewhat compromised. But it works very well as a monitor for PC use.

IPS rules :D

Yes, they are the kings of glow. :)

But yeah, also for color and viewing angles (again, not as much of an issue for PC use IMO).

IPS rules :D

I gather you went with LG than? Or what did you end up buying?

Thinking of changing it for LG UF675 IPS model.. But I need to sleep on it first. Maybe I'll feel differently tomorrow. :)

That's if you're using it as a typical TV, and are not sitting directly in the center. Think about it; if you are off to the side (typical for a chair or couch in a den or living room), it would be easy for the curved side that is closest to you to be at a more extreme angle than on a flat TV. Similarly, the other side that's furthest from you would look better than on a flat TV because the viewing angle would be reduced.
That's just it.. I am sitting directly in the center and colors are still getting washed up, for some reason especially in the lower left corner. I don't know.

That's just it.. I am sitting directly in the center and colors are still getting washed up, for some reason especially in the lower left corner. I don't know.

Understood, I'm just saying that the quote from that review makes sense for multi-user TV viewing, but if anything, the curve should help when viewed dead-on center because the viewing angle on the edges is reduced.

I don't doubt that you're seeing what you describe, but maybe you're just more sensitive to it than others because it hasn't been a recurring issue in the thread. It's odd that one corner seems worse on yours, though. Could it be a panel uniformity issue?

No problem at all using a 40" 7500 at about 30" and the curve is great.

Okay, apparently the 40-inch (flat) version is finally available at Best Buy. IQ-wise, is there any difference between the models?

My JU6500 turns off while watching shows on Netflix and the sleep timer is off. Does anyone know what might be causing it?

I've been playing Witcher 3 in 1080P. I have no say, this is the best 40" 1080P monitor I've ever used. :)

My JU6500 turns off while watching shows on Netflix and the sleep timer is off. Does anyone know what might be causing it?

Yes there at 2, I had the second one on set for 15 min by default just choose that one.

So after MUCH deliberation I have made my monitor / compromise choice.

Predator :
27 inches, IPS, 144hz, gsync.
What that means, good colors good PPI and SMOOTH SMOOTH SMOITH
Desktop is butter, fps games are flawless, 3rd person like the witcher again so smooth things become somewhat 3d.
This is IPS guys no gama shifts , great colors and did I say smooth.

Samsung 9000:
The colors, colors and contrast!
48 inches. VA,nano crystals.

So colors are emotional make me feel connected to the game like a good movie, desktop us stunning, all games have a sense of depth from the contrast that I love, again colors are amazing.

Gaming:
Predator is levels upon levels better for immersion in the mechanics of any game, 1st or 3rd person. 144hz adds to that in fps gaming, but even at 60 or 50 or 40 fps you do not get any stutter or artifact (you notice it biiiiig time going back to ANY non gsync monitor after using gsync for any length of time) you really don't know what your missing if and you are missing a lot of smoothness LOL. Predator is the better monitor for any game in terms of immersion into the mechanics of the game, running, panning, feeling the mechanics on the screen as being an extension if yourself.

JS9000 is just magic at colors, warm and inviting cool and cold when ever but is called for, feels "emotionally immersive". Yes 48 inches helps with that LOL, but colors are 1/2 the key, the other 1/2 is contrast, it brings out details and depth in the image, not 3d vision but still a great sense of presence from the depth. Js9000 is the better monitor for emotional immersion into the story and environment!
The JS9000 immersion is challenged by judder and depending on game lag, the predator is challenged by comparatively bland and flat image and this emotional immersion after using the JS9000.

Moving from either monitor to the other is a challenge in different areas! Using either after a day of no PC use (reseting the eyes in a way) is a joy!That means if I don't see 144hz gsync for a day or so then fire up the sammy I do not really miss it very much. Though if all you do is game on your monitor I would 100% recommend the predator, better experience and less video card power needed. Wait on 4k!

If you do a lot of other stuff like video watching and or editing, research (multiple windows open) and gaming is more to break that stuff up then 100% recommend the Samsung!

I hate to pass on the gaming mechanics bliss of the predator but I want to do more than game in the PC and the Sammy will be more inviting for those activities.
So I choose the samsung.

40 JU7500 vs JS9000 48

I would say 40 is a better monitor size over all, but 48 is big enough to sit farther back and thus I find let's my eyes stay more relaxed, and screen us large enough to treat windows like actual monitors in themselves. If I was not also going to use this for some tv use I would seriosly consider the 40 inch 7500

Both are great looking. I found the Ju7500 to strain my eyes a little and have not noticed it on the JS9000,.. the Js9000 might have better motion clarity as well. But as is the 7500 is a great monitor choice. The price between the 7500 and 9000 at 48 inches is only about $500 if I was only using it as a monitor I would give alot of consideration to the 7500 though keep in mind that I seemed to feel less motion blur on the 9000 and the colors do seem more vivid ... no measurements it is just memory here.
One more possible benefit to the JS9000 is if it gets noticable imrovements in future one connect boxes lower lag in PC mode or dare I HOPE DP 1.3 connections OHHH my LOL, it is a gamble of course.

Edit:

Done in a rush on mobile, I will correct the many typos once I get a chance! :)

Second edit:

finally had an opportunity to fix the typos and reorder the post some :)

Last edited:
Got a software update notice this morning but was rushing to work. Don't know if it's a firmware update or just Apps.

For anyone who got one of these and was waiting on the new GPUs to be released, like 980Ti is out and it's looking pretty killer. Something like 97% of Titan X performance for hundreds less. So, if you can find one that's not marked way up, it looks like a very solid card for the money. Lots of hurt over in the video card forum over the Ti right now.

No idea how 390X will compare, but I didn't know that the Ti was out until today so check it out if you're in the market.

For anyone who got one of these and was waiting on the new GPUs to be released, like 980Ti is out and it's looking pretty killer. Something like 97% of Titan X performance for hundreds less. So, if you can find one that's not marked way up, it looks like a very solid card for the money. Lots of hurt over in the video card forum over the Ti right now.

No idea how 390X will compare, but I didn't know that the Ti was out until today so check it out if you're in the market.

Personally I'm waiting to see what AMD drops tomorrow.... Hopefully it puts a hurting on the 980ti. We really need more than just nVida in the market and a flop from AMD could be the death nail.

I'm waiting for the Zotac 25% overclocked edition. 25% faster than a Titan X is a near 60FPS Witcher 3 4K ultra. Disable AA and that's stable 60FPS on one card.

Actually 390X will just be a revamped 290X - a bit overclocked and supposedly with 8Gb of memory.

AMD's flagship will actually be called Fury, which is releasing on 24th of June.

Personally I'm waiting to see what AMD drops tomorrow.... Hopefully it puts a hurting on the 980ti. We really need more than just nVida in the market and a flop from AMD could be the death nail.

Yep, we need both around. An nV monopoly wouldn't be good for anyone except nVidia. Hopefully AMD can keep on chugging.

I'm waiting for the Zotac 25% overclocked edition. 25% faster than a Titan X is a near 60FPS Witcher 3 4K ultra. Disable AA and that's stable 60FPS on one card.

Drool...

Actually 390X will just be a revamped 290X - a bit overclocked and supposedly with 8Gb of memory.

AMD's flagship will actually be called Fury, which is releasing on 24th of June.

Wow, are you serious? After all those months of hype surrounding 390X, and it's just a slightly beefed up 290X?

I just saw something about Fury tonight, and knew that it was the flagship but didn't realize that it was a separate, higher platform than 390X. Did they keep the name under wraps or something? Because everyone has been all about waiting for 390X; I hadn't seen Fury mentioned until today.

Yeah it looks like 1215 just came out. I installed it and everything seems the same.

Yup. Got home and turned the set on and saw that firmware was updated to 1215. But Just check and my Black lvl have reverted to auto. Don't know if the firmware fixed the revert to auto problem.

Yea, probably will grab one after the dust settles. Not going to touch a AMD unless they drastically drops the power requirement. I run a silent case and the last thing I need is mini cyclone making extra noise.

In the step up queue for my first 980Ti and hoping to grab a second as soon as they start selling the ACX 2+ version. 980Ti SLi will rock this display. :D

Me too. I have to sell the 970s and get the 980Ti
SlippinJimmy, i sent you a pm. Please reply
Thank you

Card looks pretty awesome, but that it's a zotac worries me their CS sounds sort of questionable.

May also want to wait a few weeks for the new AMD R9 300 series coming June 16th. They're to have HDMI 2.0 and "potentially" faster than the GTX 980 Ti. Also AMD's new top tier card is coming out on June 24th, the R9 Fury X which is "supposedly" to be the fastest single GPU. Of course it's all speculation at this point. I'm looking forward to what AMD comes up with because AMD doesn't cripple their gaming cards of workstation/computation capabilities. I don't even game, I need this for Solidworks. I'd just get a Quadro but no HDMI 2.0 is available.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

How does changing a digital signal cable affect what it displays? It is not like a VGA cable where better quality cable makes a difference. Either you get a display or you dont or it flickers. The colors do not change.

How does changing a digital signal cable affect what it displays? It is not like a VGA cable where better quality cable makes a difference. Either you get a display or you dont or it flickers. The colors do not change.

Who said anything about colors? He said "Still sitting on 1005 and having a few display blanking issues, wondering if a firmware update is worth it." No matter what firmware you're on, several of us have had blanking issues where the display cuts out and goes black for a second before coming back. A better/shorter cable has resolved the issue for everyone except one person, who claimed that upgrading to Windows 10 did the trick.

The cable absolutely can make a difference. Several of us can attest to that. No one is claiming better color or clarity with a different cable, but that a good cable can ensure that the signal integrity is such that it doesn't drop out over a given distance.

This is a common misconception. If there's a complete signal, then there's no difference. However, not all cables are able to transfer a complete signal properly, due to attenuation

Wow, are you serious? After all those months of hype surrounding 390X, and it's just a slightly beefed up 290X?

I just saw something about Fury tonight, and knew that it was the flagship but didn't realize that it was a separate, higher platform than 390X. Did they keep the name under wraps or something? Because everyone has been all about waiting for 390X; I hadn't seen Fury mentioned until today.

Why does it matter? It's just a name. Just think of the 390x as the new 280x, and the Fury as the new 290x...one is a rebadge, one is a new product. Same market options, just different naming. It doesn't change anything - there is a new card, and there is a re-badged previous-gen card with a small speed bump.

Why does it matter? It's just a name. Just think of the 390x as the new 280x, and the Fury as the new 290x...one is a rebadge, one is a new product. Same market options, just different naming. It doesn't change anything - there is a new card, and there is a re-badged previous-gen card with a small speed bump.

It doesn't matter. My point was that based on forum posts, everybody was waiting for the 390X as if it was going to be some powerhouse OMG card...but as it turns out, it's just going to be a rebadge. If Fury was the actual next-gen card that everyone was waiting for, I thought it strange that I never saw it mentioned because everybody was all about the 390X which doesn't seem like much to get excited over.

A quick search on this thread illustrates my point. Lots of mentions of the 390X, nothing on Fury until the past day or so when this conversation started. Strange that people weren't talking about and anticipating Fury instead, which is why I asked if the name was kept under wraps.

Back