New Samsung 4k for everyone.

I'm assuming that the JS8500 is a 120hz panel? Is there any word on the display lag in pc and game mode? I'm also curious about motion blur.

I just was online with Samsung rep and she assured me that JS8500 does not have Game mode at all.

How is the input lag on CX800?
Seems like the smallest CX800 available in US is 55", a bit big for a desktop monitor.
"Game mode" may not be what your after in any event, since it seems universally to use 4:2:2 color by consequence. So far, I haven't heard of any 4:4:4 capable TV that does not revert to said color when using whatever they may boast as a game mode.

Here is a review of a recent, comparable Panasonic model which reveals that its game mode offers 37ms latency, while also differentiating between the game mode and its 4:4:4 mode ("Pure Direct"). http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/tx-50ax802b-201405193778.htm It's a near certainty that in 4:4:4 mode the latency is (arbitrarily) higher, though even if it isn't, 37ms is a bit over the limit, at least for me. There is no reason to expect any improvements on this front from any TV maker this year, though with proper PC monitors beginning to infringe on the display size territory that's traditionally been TV-exclusive, I think we will very quickly see some real focus on the issue, so perhaps next year. And maybe by then we'll see displayports on TVs; goodness knows I could go for some 10-bit color.

I agree that 55" is too big. But I've also recently concluded that 50" could be doable.

hopefully Samsung in the next time might addition DP 1.2, hdmi 2.0 still not familiar than dp for almost vga card on the market

hopefully Samsung in the next time might addition DP 1.2, hdmi 2.0 still not familiar than dp for almost vga card on the market

Why would they? Some added DisplayPort before HDMI 2.0 was ready, but it will likely disappear from tvs once again. Other than computers, what AV equipment includes DisplayPort?

HDMI 2.0 should be on every new computer soon. Can't hang onto the old things forever! Everyone will be wanting USB 3.1 and USB-C soon also.

Any triple surround setups yet? :D

Nvidia DSR let us set the resolution to 8K, but windows scaling is horrific.

I'm seriously considering a triple setup - 40/48/40. I set my wife's 40 next to my 48 - damn that is big, but doable (I have a very large desk).

Not sure how to hook all 3 up to 1 system, however I used a triple monitor setup with 3 computers (1-to1) for years with Multiplicity to control all 3 with 1 keyboard/mouse. Might go back to that.

If I do this, I'll post pictures...!

I'm seriously considering a triple setup - 40/48/40. I set my wife's 40 next to my 48 - damn that is big, but doable (I have a very large desk).

Not sure how to hook all 3 up to 1 system, however I used a triple monitor setup with 3 computers (1-to1) for years with Multiplicity to control all 3 with 1 keyboard/mouse. Might go back to that.

If I do this, I'll post pictures...!

We may need three video cards because of HDMI, but I'm not certain.

Gosh now considering the 48 9000 series! Anyone got it?

I second that. I hate that it is $500 more than the flat 8500, but at 48" I do think the curve helps.

I'd be willing to give it a try at Crutchfield, but they haven't dropped their price on the 48" 9000 yet, but I would want to stick with them for the stellar return policy.

Guess I need to hunt for some reviews to see if the difference is really worth the price.

I second that. I hate that it is $500 more than the flat 8500, but at 48" I do think the curve helps.

I'd be willing to give it a try at Crutchfield, but they haven't dropped their price on the 48" 9000 yet, but I would want to stick with them for the stellar return policy.

Guess I need to hunt for some reviews to see if the difference is really worth the price.

Have the 40 7500, like it. Got the 1440 predator and keep going back wbd forth. But a 48 might swing me to the TV side haha. Almost got the 8500 but missed the last local one by a few hours and now have the 9000 in my online shopping cart about to hit buy.

I wonder if it will be an improvement over the 7500 series in PC mode or are the advantages due to processing? I sure with shows/movies it will be noticeable tho.

Aren't most of the features past the 7500 for TV viewing only? ie you don't want to playing games in TV mode.

Aren't most of the features past the 7500 for TV viewing only? ie you don't want to playing games in TV mode.

Pretty much... the main draw for the 8500 and up is HDR support but I doubt we'll be seeing that for games anytime soon.

The 8500/9000 are worth looking at for me as once I get my setup nailed down I won't be changing for at least a few years.

Pretty much... the main draw for the 8500 and up is HDR support but I doubt we'll be seeing that for games anytime soon.

The JS8500 and up have 10bit Nano Crystal panels, the JU7000's and lower are all 8bit. I actually didn't realize that until I was ready to place my order.

The JS8500 and up have 10bit Nano Crystal panels, the JU7000's and lower are all 8bit. I actually didn't realize that until I was ready to place my order.

Worth noting however that you won't be able to get 10 bit output at 4K/4:4:4/60Hz, as that is outside the capabilities of HDMI 2.0.

4k-over-hdmi20xkgx.png

Well it's a good thing I got a Video Card with Display port 1.2a.... oh wait! Now I know why Samsung is selling these TV's with a connector boxes. Damn, should have got the Phillips.

Worth noting however that you won't be able to get 10 bit output at 4K/4:4:4/60Hz, as that is outside the capabilities of HDMI 2.0.

Just wondering if anybody ever tested TV with HDMI 2.0 4K/4:4:4/30Hz and genuine 10-bit input signal?) And noticed any visible difference comparing to 8-bit???

Just wondering if anybody ever tested TV with HDMI 2.0 4K/4:4:4/30Hz and genuine 10-bit input signal?) And noticed any visible difference comparing to 8-bit???

If the set supports HDR, it will need the extra bits for that.
Sending an HDR signal and properly displaying it will look different.

Well it's a good thing I got a Video Card with Display port 1.2a.... oh wait! Now I know why Samsung is selling these TV's with a connector boxes. Damn, should have got the Phillips.

You guys are hilarious. The grass isn't greener on the other side. The Phillips can't even display contrasting colors properly, what makes you think it can do 10 bit colors? http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1838713&page=68 It's an 8bit monitor with dithering which is another way of saying its an 8bit monitor. There are real image differences and you're chasing after imaginary differences.

Only certain applications support 10-bit such as Photoshop. If you're a color professional, then perhaps you should be buying those 2k IPS monitors that support 100% sRGB coverage. For games, you will never see the difference, even between 4:2:2 chroma and 4:4:4. And you'd be hard pressed to notice differences between the real pro 10-bit monitors unless you're trained at what to look for. Stop chasing imaginary dragons.

They will need a workstation GPU that supports 10-bit color and a true 10-bit 4K monitor i.e. NEC. Both cost thousands of dollars and are not suitable for gaming.

You guys are hilarious. The grass isn't greener on the other side. The Phillips can't even display contrasting colors properly, what makes you think it can do 10 bit colors? http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1838713&page=68 It's an 8bit monitor with dithering which is another way of saying its an 8bit monitor. There are real image differences and you're chasing after imaginary differences.

Only certain applications support 10-bit such as Photoshop. If you're a color professional, then perhaps you should be buying those 2k IPS monitors that support 100% sRGB coverage. For games, you will never see the difference, even between 4:2:2 chroma and 4:4:4. And you'd be hard pressed to notice differences between the real pro 10-bit monitors unless you're trained at what to look for. Stop chasing imaginary dragons.

Agreed, thread has taken a nosedive. I see why some people basically stopped posting after the whole ghosting and input lag witch hunts.

There is a whole lot to love with these, but some people want to chase silly "features" that don't matter or nitpick over problems that aren't really problems. It's well known by now what these do well, so if you're looking for bells and whistles that no one cares about or if the few issues are so burdensome that you can't deal with them, the door is that way ----> .

The price drop on the 48" 8500/9000 do make them worth checking out imo if you want to use it for more than just a monitor.

Decisions...!

The price drop on the 48" 8500/9000 do make them worth checking out imo if you want to use it for more than just a monitor.

Decisions...!

Agreed, and I would welcome more discussion on those models. I'm referring to the people who point out the obvious by saying that these having more input lag than hardcore 144Hz gaming monitors or who are comparing these displays with the Philips 40" and complaining about the lack of DP inputs because they don't have a GPU with HDMI 2.0, etc.

Agreed, and I would welcome more discussion on those models. I'm referring to the people who point out the obvious by saying that these having more input lag than hardcore 144Hz gaming monitors or who are comparing these displays with the Philips 40" and complaining about the lack of DP inputs because they don't have a GPU with HDMI 2.0, etc.

OMG I so hear that...! I was having a hard time slogging through those posts.

At the end of the day, these Samsung displays are truly remarkable.

after a week of using my 40ju6500, i am still loving it and ive adjusted to display nicely. i actually kinda like having a seperate mode for gaming because i can have different contrast/brightness/color settings which may not be ideal for desktop work or browsing. 1080p looks great and the games i can run at 4k look amazing. both the philips monitor and the samsungs have pros/cons, but im glad i didnt wait for the philips. im enjoying this too much right now. no regrets.

after a week of using my 40ju6500, i am still loving it and ive adjusted to display nicely. i actually kinda like having a seperate mode for gaming because i can have different contrast/brightness/color settings which may not be ideal for desktop work or browsing. 1080p looks great and the games i can run at 4k look amazing. both the philips monitor and the samsungs have pros/cons, but im glad i didnt wait for the philips. im enjoying this too much right now. no regrets.

Wait till you've had it for a couple months, just gets better and better. Always a nice surprise to log on for the day and be awed by the size/rez.

So I just started having an issue after I upgraded the firmware to 1214, not sure if anyone else is having this issue or not:

When the computer goes to sleep (15 minutes) and then the TV gets no signal (15 additional minutes) it turns itself off. It used to be where I could turn the TV back on, move the mouse, and the screen would come back to life. Now when I turn the TV on no amount of moving the mouse or pressing keys makes the 'no signal' screen go away. I've tried switching sources as well, but it doesn't matter. I have to reboot my machine to get the picture back. Any ideas?

Well, after I typed that in I remembered that I had upgraded my Nvidia driver to the newest release for the Witcher 3 the same day I upgraded my firmware. So I have uninstalled the driver, rebooted, reinstalled the driver, and now I'll wait and see if it was a driver issue.

I have also updated nVidia driver for Witcher 3 about the same time as the firmware update.

Well apparently something on the Nvidia driver install was borked. The reinstall worked and now the TV, 48" 7500, comes back on when I move the mouse..

Carry on with the Samsung goodness :)

Hoping you guys can give me some ideas. I reported a few days ago I was getting blinking, blank, black screens when in 4k 60hz with my original HDMI cable.

I picked up a Rocketfish 4ft 18Gbps and had the same issues.

This is all on a new MSI 970 4G, so I thought maybe the card was bad. I happened to order another MSI 970 a few days after I got my first, so I tried it, same thing.

So per Cyphs' recommendation of getting a shorter length.. I picked up " Mediabridge FLEX Series HDMI Cable (1 Foot) " off amazon. 18Gbps 34AWG.

When I first plugged it in I got a quick colored flicker, but that was it. Maybe 30-60 min later I got my first black flicker. Then maybe an hour later another. Seemed to be picking up in frequency, but was still better than the previous 2 cables, which was going blank multiple times a minute. Being desperate I thought I'd reverse the ends of the cable connecting the One Connect to the TV. Flicker got way worse after that, almost as bad as the original cables. So I reversed it back hoping I'd only get one flicker an hour, but it's flickering often again

I don't know what it could be at this point. I came from a 290x, so I guess there could be some AMD drivers lurking about? I used the DDR twice to install the Nvidia drivers. Could it be the one connect box or cable? Or TV perhaps? Any ideas how to trouble shoot with Samsung?

Oh and fwiw, been using at 1080 this entire time. The scaling on this thing is infinitely better than my old Seiki, and I finally got it so the colors are nice and everything doesn't look washed out. Blacks are nice, and the colors rich and seem true. Was a little blue so I'm using Warm 1.

Input lag is amazing. I didn't realize how bad my Seiki was until this thing. It feels twice as fast, even when I had the Seiki at 1080P 120HZ. I thought I was just getting old and terrible at CS. but I can easily top the casual servers now when I hop on. Went from being the bottom to the top with just the monitor change.

Edit: Should mention though that PWM is still the worst I've seen on this panel. It doesn't bother me a ton, but I can constantly see the strobing lights shining through the screen

It's not the HDMI cable if you tried a one footer. I suspect your One Connect is bad. I would try an exchange or see if you can just swap the One Connect at your retailer.

Try reseating by unplugging and replugging the One Connect first to see if it fixes the problem.

It's not the HDMI cable if you tried a one footer. I suspect your One Connect is bad. I would try an exchange or see if you can just swap the One Connect at your retailer.

Try reseating by unplugging and replugging the One Connect first to see if it fixes the problem.

Yeah, I've tried the one connect all sorts of ways. Thinking that's the issue as well. Sounds odd, but signal seems to vary depending on how I hold it. Also even more odd, but I swear I can feel EMF or something out of this thing. This is gonna sound crazy as hell, but if I hold it in my hands or put it near any spot on my body, I can 'feel' something coming out of it. Gives me pins and needles feeling. Curious if anyone else has depleted uranium in theirs.

Might have to deal with Samsung, I cant imagine retailer swapping out just the OC and not trying to get he entire TV back.

Yeah, I've tried the one connect all sorts of ways. Thinking that's the issue as well. Sounds odd, but signal seems to vary depending on how I hold it. Also even more odd, but I swear I can feel EMF or something out of this thing. This is gonna sound crazy as hell, but if I hold it in my hands or put it near any spot on my body, I can 'feel' something coming out of it. Gives me pins and needles feeling. Curious if anyone else has depleted uranium in theirs.

Might have to deal with Samsung, I cant imagine retailer swapping out just the OC and not trying to get he entire TV back.

Sounds like a grounding issue? Definitely take the TV back as there is something seriously wrong.

Back