New Samsung 4k for everyone.

Does anyone have the 40ju6500? Local best buy has 2 open box for 750ish and im about to snag one, but i was hoping someone might be able to comment on the text quality at 422 chroma at native res and how 1080p looks since i wont be able to run all games at 4k just yet. I'm torn between this and the vizio m series which doesn't do 444 but has better contrast and lower input lag. It also just might do 1080p at 120hz according to a few amazon reviews and its also cheaper. Tired of waiting for the philips to be available so I'm getting something this weekend.

1080p on game mode with this panel is 20.7ms so I doubt the Vizio is faster. RTings uses the Leo Bodnar and only test 1080P mode so make sure you're comparing orange to orange. Text looks great and can definitely be used for browsing and non Photoshop type work in game mode.

Btw, if the local Frys is in Campbell, CA, the returned 6500 may be mine. :D

From Rting review:
Our 60Hz TV was able to accept a 120 hz signal, but only displayed a maximum of 60 fps.
Chroma 4:4:4 is only supported when the TV is receiving a 120 hz signal, which is strange.
edit: This is the E series review. Looks like the M series does support it and is slightly lower.

This means no 4:4:4 in 4K on the Vizio.

Last edited:
The Vizio M is 18.5ms according to Rtings, so it is a bit lower - http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/vizio/m-series-2015

Lack of 4:4:4 chroma is a big issue for desktop usage. Sure, I could live with it for casual web browsing and simple tasks but if you're going to be using the display as your main monitor - I'd say it's not acceptable at all.

Yeah I take that back. I was looking at the E series. No 4:4:4 means the lag is lower. Vizio uses no frills processing which is perfect for a monitor if only it supports 4:4:4. On the other hand, Samsung looks better because of the processing, the price you pay is higher lag. I'd take the improved quality for the lag. Others may disagree.

1080p on game mode with this panel is 20.7ms so I doubt the Vizio is faster. RTings uses the Leo Bodnar and only test 1080P mode so make sure you're comparing orange to orange. Text looks great and can definitely be used for browsing and non Photoshop type work in game mode.

Btw, if the local Frys is in Campbell, CA, the returned 6500 may be mine. :D

From Rting review:

edit: This is the E series review. Looks like the M series does support it and is slightly lower.

This means no 4:4:4 in 4K on the Vizio.

Hey Cyph... I was thinking of grabbing a 7500 at frys to try out before my return window on my 50" is up... How is the return process at frys? Did they give you a hard time?

thanks for the replies. ive noticed that rtings.com only typically reviews one size in a model range and then lists those results for all sizes, but we know that different sizes can have different panel types and manufacturers so these results may not apply.

Hey Cyph... I was thinking of grabbing a 7500 at frys to try out before my return window on my 50" is up... How is the return process at frys? Did they give you a hard time?

No issue on returns. All brick and mortar stores are pretty good with returns.

No issue on returns. All brick and mortar stores are pretty good with returns.
I can confirm that my local Best Buy took back my first TV purchase even though I'd already opened it. Even though I had tested many TVs for latency and 4:4:4, some models weren't available for testing, so I gambled and tried out a model that was one step higher than what I'd found. It failed 4:4:4. I was happy to settle with what I got.

(No Fry's where I live. I know I am missing out.)

Does anyone have the 40ju6500? Local best buy has 2 open box for 750ish and im about to snag one, but i was hoping someone might be able to comment on the text quality at 422 chroma at native res and how 1080p looks since i wont be able to run all games at 4k just yet. I'm torn between this and the vizio m series which doesn't do 444 but has better contrast and lower input lag. It also just might do 1080p at 120hz according to a few amazon reviews and its also cheaper. Tired of waiting for the philips to be available so I'm getting something this weekend.

In my opinion, if you are 100% dpi scaling, 4:2:2 text is noticeably worse than 4:4:4. 125% is tolerable.

(I am on Windows 7).

i was thinking that the pixel density of 4k at 40" would be high enough that it wouldn't be as noticeable. i will grab the vizio first anyway since it is the cheaper option. i feel like the input lag of the sammy is still too high and there is a chance the vizio will do 444 at 4k 30hz which just might be bearable. as far as im aware games dont use full rgb colorspace anyway so the vizio will be better for gaming. i will post my impressions in the vizio thread this afternoon.

Did you try adjusting the height of your chair. For proper sitting position, your eye should be level at between 1/3 to 1/2 from the top of the screen mark.

Yep, it's as high as it'll go. Even if it could go higher, the arm wrests wouldn't slide under the desk and my feet would be off of the floor. :p My eye level is roughly halfway from the top, but I wish it was closer to 1/3 from the top. I can live with it, but I'd really like to get an arm where I could remove the stand and bring the monitor down another few inches until it's basically sitting on the desk.

gar818 said:
Does the 6700 use pwm for backlight?

They all do.

i was thinking that the pixel density of 4k at 40" would be high enough that it wouldn't be as noticeable. i will grab the vizio first anyway since it is the cheaper option. i feel like the input lag of the sammy is still too high and there is a chance the vizio will do 444 at 4k 30hz which just might be bearable. as far as im aware games dont use full rgb colorspace anyway so the vizio will be better for gaming. i will post my impressions in the vizio thread this afternoon.

I have a 2nd PC plugged into HDMI 2 on my 6700 (not 4:4;4) and I can notice the difference right away. While it's probably usable for games and browsing. I wouldn't want to do any serious work on it.

Last edited:
Yep, it's as high as it'll go. Even if it could go higher, the arm wrests wouldn't slide under the desk and my feet would be off of the floor. :p My eye level is roughly halfway from the top, but I wish it was closer to 1/3 from the top. I can live with it, but I'd really like to get an arm where I could remove the stand and bring the monitor down another few inches until it's basically sitting on the desk.
That's exactly what I'm going to try with my 7500 over the weekend. Already have the arm and the 200 adapter plate will be delivered today. I'll post pics when it's done.

My problem is that I have a center channel speaker in the way. I actually need to raise the monitor stand off the desk by a couple inches so it does not block the screen. Which resulted in my eye level slightly below the the center. I'm looking for a way to mount the speaker on top of the screen but the Boston Acoustic Classic II weights 13lb so it won't be easy to find a secure way to mount it above the screen without drilling into the wall.

I have a 2nd PC plugged into HDMI 2 on my 6700 (not 4:4;4) and I can notice the difference right away. While it's probably usable for games and browsing. I wouldn't want to do any serious work on it.

Samsung has 4:2:2, Vizio is going to be 4:2:0 and that looked noticeably worse in game mode before 1207 firmware.

So I just purchased the 40JU6700, this would be the perfect monitor if it wasnt for the input lag, I have game mode on, and all enhancements disabled, any special setting I should look for? to speed up the input lag. Also how do i check for the latest firmware, thanks. PS, damn this thing is a beauty

Did you already update the firmware?

mine came with 1210, which says is the newest one, so no update needed. Im coming from a gsync 144hz monitor, so the lag is def there :) I really want to keep it, so ill have to spend a day with it and decide tomorrow.

mine came with 1210, which says is the newest one, so no update needed. Im coming from a gsync 144hz monitor, so the lag is def there :) I really want to keep it, so ill have to spend a day with it and decide tomorrow.

A 144hz monitor will have significantly less lag then a 60hz monitor if the game is running at 144hz.

If you got 1210 and have it on game mode uhd enabled then you should be good, make sure smart led is off and dynamic contrast is off and sharpness to 0 in game mode.

to keep lag to a minimum. Set TV instant on to OFF and Smarthub auto start to OFF.

maybe 5ms less. not worth it to me with all the other feature that I get with the Samsung.

Did all that, lag is still present to me, does the Phillips 4065 have less lag than this tv?

You feel lag in fps shooters or what kind of games??

Mouse or controller??

I comparednthe lag between a 1080p Samsung monitor that my Leo Bodnar shows 12.7ms versus the Samsung ju7500 in 4k game mode and didnt feel any appreciable difference.

I have never used a 120 or 144hz panel with a game running at 120 or 144 fps to get the full effect, from what I understand you maybe looking at sub 4ms input lag with a 144hz and a game running 144fps...

So your looking at maybe a frame difference between your 144hz panel and the 4k Samsung... not that large of a difference.

I can't believe how sensitive some of you guys are to input lag. As I type this I'm using PC mode and have Instant On enabled, which according to some should equate to OMG UNUSABLE levels of lag...yet it feels great to me.

Glad I'm not afflicted.

I'd spend some more time with it gar...I mean you just purchased it a few hours ago and you are already asking about other monitors. When I went from my 27" 120hz Samsung to the BenQ BL3200PT, the speed difference (in both input lag and pixel response) was very noticeable at first, as it should've been. But I adjusted to it within a matter of just a few days...maybe 2-3 at most.

You feel lag in fps shooters or what kind of games??

Mouse or controller??

I comparednthe lag between a 1080p Samsung monitor that my Leo Bodnar shows 12.7ms versus the Samsung ju7500 in 4k game mode and didnt feel any appreciable difference.

I have never used a 120 or 144hz panel with a game running at 120 or 144 fps to get the full effect, from what I understand you maybe looking at sub 4ms input lag with a 144hz and a game running 144fps...

So your looking at maybe a frame difference between your 144hz panel and the 4k Samsung... not that large of a difference.

Its felt both in games and in windows. Good screen, bad for FPS, thats my conclusion. Its going back, Ill wait for something with less lag to come out, Its a shame because I am in love with this screen, but i cant deal with the input lag coming from a 144hz gsync panel. Here is a short list of pros and cons for the UN40JU6700 to help others make a purchase.

Pros
gorgeous
good pixel response time
good colors
low backlight bleed
good for racers and rts gamers

cons
input lag
bad for fps gamers, maybe ok for single player but MP will suffer

cons
input lag
bad for fps gamers, maybe ok for single player but MP will suffer

Best thing I've read all day.

Thank you gar818, you are definitely a true intellectual when it comes to these types of evaluations, as is common in this thread.

(Back to 4k flawless Wolfenstein, laughing as I click away...) :D

The philips has 4:4:4 @ 23ms, the sammy is 4:4:4 @ over 40ms, or 4:2:2 @ 28ms

New firmware is 36ms and 20.7ms, but I think this thread is devolving into another input lag bitch fest. People need to know what they're looking for. Lag sensitivity is like PWM, some are more sensitive than others. If you know you're sensitive or you play competitive FPS, buy a 144hz Gsync monitor. Don't try to fit a square leg in a round hole.

I feel no lag in the games I play. So let's not make declarations as if input lag is a big deal. It depends on the person.

Best thing I've read all day.

Thank you gar818, you are definitely a true intellectual when it comes to these types of evaluations, as is common in this thread.

(Back to 4k flawless Wolfenstein, laughing as I click away...) :D

Its funny how you are getting butt hurt, I'm posting my personal findings, if you dont like it, dont reply and go enjoy your monitor, lol

Testing the 7500 40 inch and the Acer predator (144hz, 1440p, gsync, IPS) next to each other for a week and a half I reached the same conclusion.

I wanted the 7500 to work it looks so good! But... Same as quote above

Gave up waiting to see if BestBuy would get the 48" curved model in stock (didn't appear to). I had a hefty gift card to use at BB. Picked up a 50JU6500 for $803 and I like it. Works better further back than the 40" (5+ feet away), but also not TOO big wall-mounted at sitting at the desk. Similar fov as the 40" mounted on its stand and standing on the desk.

Looking at it more, I don't think the curve models will help as much as I was thinking.the top and bottom of the screen would still be further away, and the curve would actually put it further out of my field of view. The bottom of the screen would be an issue due to my eyes being more aligned to the top - the bottom of the screen is pretty far away, and a curve down there would make text closer, but also give me less vision of the bottom corners.

Let the PWM mod commence! I have plans this weekend to help a friend out with a project, but should be able to perform a PWM mode next weekend.

Its funny how you are getting butt hurt, I'm posting my personal findings, if you dont like it, dont reply and go enjoy your monitor, lol

Ah, I see you two have met. Excuse him; he likes to post condescending, snarky, insulting remarks every time someone doesn't fall exactly in line with his views. He pipes up every now and then to call someone stupid for not wanting to make love to the Samsung and then crawls back into his hole of gaming bliss. :)

Personally, I appreciate you posting your summary even though I don't think you gave it enough time. When I was going through my Head-Fi headphone addiction, I can't tell you how many times I purchased a new pair of cans only to think "Ehhh" at first, but the more I listened to them, the more I liked them. I didn't always appreciate them at first because the sound signature was simply different from what I was used to. But I understand that no display will suit everyone and if you know it's not for you, it's not for you.

Testing the 7500 40 inch and the Acer predator (144hz, 1440p, gsync, IPS) next to each other for a week and a half I reached the same conclusion.

I wanted the 7500 to work it looks so good! But... Same as quote above

You guys testing these against 144hz G-Sync displays are just going in with expectations that are way too high if speed is what you're after. Simple as that.

Many HDTVs have traditionally had terrible input lag. These Samsungs are noteworthy because in addition to being capable of 4:4:4 at 60hz 4K, something most TVs cannot do yet, they are doing it with pretty good input lag numbers. They are not and were not ever designed to compete with the speed of a niche monitor built with gaming as the #1 priority.

I don't even understand how you can compare the two, really. One is a huge 4K display with numerous inputs that doubles as a pretty killer UHD TV. The other is a 27" 2560x1440 twitch gamer's wet dream. YES the Swift and Predator are faster, but they are also much smaller, with much less immersion, and you're giving up a huge amount of pixels that provide expansive desktop real estate! To compare them is silly. One will never compete with the other in various areas.

Ah, I see you two have met. Excuse him; he likes to post condescending, snarky, insulting remarks every time someone doesn't fall exactly in line with his views. He pipes up every now and then to call someone stupid for not wanting to make love to the Samsung and then crawls back into his hole of gaming bliss. :)

Personally, I appreciate you posting your summary even though I don't think you gave it enough time. When I was going through my Head-Fi headphone addiction, I can't tell you how many times I purchased a new pair of cans only to think "Ehhh" at first, but the more I listened to them, the more I liked them. I didn't always appreciate them at first because the sound signature was simply different from what I was used to. But I understand that no display will suit everyone and if you know it's not for you, it's not for you.

You guys testing these against 144hz G-Sync displays are just going in with expectations that are way too high if speed is what you're after. Simple as that.

Many HDTVs have traditionally had terrible input lag. These Samsungs are noteworthy because in addition to being capable of 4:4:4 at 60hz 4K, something most TVs cannot do yet, they are doing it with pretty good input lag numbers. They are not and were not ever designed to compete with the speed of a niche monitor built with gaming as the #1 priority.

I don't even understand how you can compare the two, really. One is a huge 4K display with numerous inputs that doubles as a pretty killer UHD TV. The other is a 27" 2560x1440 twitch gamer's wet dream. YES the Swift and Predator are faster, but they are also much smaller, with much less immersion, and you're giving up a huge amount of pixels that provide expansive desktop real estate! To compare them is silly. One will never compete with the other in various areas.

Well said my friend, i agree with everything you said, the immersion is unmatched, it all comes down to whats more important to you.

They are not the same, but are competing for desk space. It is a valid comparison as it was the one I and others have made for our own desks.

Huge and immersive vs fast and butter smooth. For others wanting to choose a monitor and who dont know where to start that can help.

Great screen for sure.

Played most of the day today, had to take a break, phew. At 20.7ms it can't be beat. Not by you...your derranged buddy NCX...nor any of the other mouth-breathers in this thread. :D

#GamingPerfection

Well, Got my 7500 today. Set it up at work to make sure everything works and to get the firmware updated. Brought it home tonight but got home late so it's only been up for an hour or so. My fear of going from semi gloss to full glossy and seeing tons of reflections did not happen, at least not with just the room lights in the evening. Will see how it behave during daytime tomorrow. I played some of the media that had motion blur on the 6700 using the Smarthub and they do seems to be better with the higher refresh (will keep testing over the weekend).

I actually went and tried out the 3D function, Works pretty well and I like how the 3D glass is much lighter and comfortable than my LG one from just a few years ago. But I also hate that it cannot be folded once you put them together so finding a way to keep them safe and clean is going to be a problem. May have to create a slot in one of the desk drawer to keep them from getting scratched and clean. I also hate that it uses disposable battery but I guess that's why they are lighter than my LG rechargeable ones.

That's it for now, Will post more after I play with it during daylight.

Gave up waiting to see if BestBuy would get the 48" curved model in stock (didn't appear to). I had a hefty gift card to use at BB. Picked up a 50JU6500 for $803 and I like it. Works better further back than the 40" (5+ feet away), but also not TOO big wall-mounted at sitting at the desk. Similar fov as the 40" mounted on its stand and standing on the desk.

Looking at it more, I don't think the curve models will help as much as I was thinking.the top and bottom of the screen would still be further away, and the curve would actually put it further out of my field of view. The bottom of the screen would be an issue due to my eyes being more aligned to the top - the bottom of the screen is pretty far away, and a curve down there would make text closer, but also give me less vision of the bottom corners.

Let the PWM mod commence! I have plans this weekend to help a friend out with a project, but should be able to perform a PWM mode next weekend.

That's a sweet deal. How did you get the 50" for that price? The 55 is no longer listed, so I might go for that size.

100 % agree... I cant imagine comparing a 60hz 4k VA display to a 1440p 144hz ips... it makes no sense to me. They both on the opposite sides of the spectrum. I am sure both have their pluses and minuses but to go from a 144hz to 60 hz makes no sense if absolute speed is number 1 to you and image quality and resolution is not.

For me I have a 1440p ips and its such a let down with contrast and resolution compared to the samsung. Not to mention a huge lack of immersion compared to my 48 curved samsung.

They are not the same, but are competing for desk space. It is a valid comparison as it was the one I and others have made for our own desks.

Huge and immersive vs fast and butter smooth. For others wanting to choose a monitor and who dont know where to start that can help.

Great screen for sure.

If you started out with the predator 144hz I am not sure why you would even entertain going to a 60 hz 4k tv. For 60 hz 4k displays these samsung's have excellent response in regards to input lag, that is why we all got them plus the excellent image quality.

I would love to try out a 144hz 1440p ips but I already know that for me the image quality ( low contrast, lower resolution, smaller screen size ) would end up being deal breakers for me regardless of less input lag or blur.

Again I compared the samsung 4k to my samsung 1080p monitor with 12.7ms input lag and also my apple 1440p ips and between the 3 of them felt NO difference lag wise but I did see a huge difference in resolution, contrast and immersion with size in favor of the samsung 4k.

The input lag witch hunt started in this thread when Nitemare2139 said that firmware 1207/1210 added alot of lag in 4k... before he said something I wasnt even thinking of input lag on this display because it really wasnt an issue. Its funny how someone can easily sway you when they present their case in such a convincing manner

In the end I see no issues with input lag on the samsung at 4k. If its an issue for you then that 1440p ips 144hz should fit the bill for super low lag. Saying the samsung 4k has horrible lag when your comparing it to a 144hz panel is just hyperbole. Anything compared to a 144hz display running games at 144fps will destroy all 60 hz panels in input lag.

Back