New Samsung 4k for everyone.

Cyph, thank you for the response. You mentioned I could possibly use an HDMI switch. Do you know if I could use any HDMI switch or would I need a particular HDMI 2.0 switch? I really just want to clone exactly what's on both Samsung TVs via one Titan X.

Cyph, thank you for the response. You mentioned I could possibly use an HDMI switch. Do you know if I could use any HDMI switch or would I need a particular HDMI 2.0 switch? I really just want to clone exactly what's on both Samsung TVs via one Titan X.

It sounds like you want a splitter and not a switcher if you want both on at the same time. You will want something that supports HDMI 2.0 as high bandwidth is finicky with long cable runs.

Hi
I had issues with my titan x connecting to ju7000 series and getting uhd colour on.
A new cable has fixed it, no dots etc or screen blanking. Thanks all.

If I could sanity check something though. When I was in nvcp I could set rgb 444 and full but it kept losing HDMI black level when restarting TV.

So I've switched to ycbcr 444. Should full range in nvcp be on limited and greyed out though? Also the TV black level is on auto and greyed out.

I've ran chroma test when on this setting and all appears to be well. Just wanted to check was like that on others.

Managed to get 5m / 15ft cable to work. For anyone in UK this is the one I purchased

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005CWOTGM

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you get surround, it will be compressed.
Only stereo can be full quality down SPDIF.

I use HDMI to a monitor/projector, another HDMI to my AV system and set my display to cloned.
Then set my default sound device as the HDMI AV system.
Simples.

Unfortunately you can't get DD+ over HDMI or ARC even though the TV technically supports it, which is a bummer because apps like Netflix, Vudu and Amazon output it.

As far as HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 switchers go, there aren't any yet (at least not that I could find). If anyone finds one that's affordable, please post them here.

FYI: AV Receiver adds input lag.

Edit: You should go HDMI -> TV -> ARC back to AV

I have my receiver's picture mode set to bypass and the hdmi set to through so it minimizes any processing. I don't notice a difference with the receiver first or tv first. I do notice a difference with the samsung in game mode with everything I can turn off, off vs my LG ultrawide monitor.

Also my PC is what I use 90% of the time. Other 10% is the Wii U. So I have it set to bitstream everything to the receiver. Also using pure audio mode on the receiver.

Can't wait to get my Titan X, 4:2:0 is so annoying to look at. :rolleyes:

I have to deal with 4:2:0 but it's not that bad. Since I have 3 Titans it will be a while before I upgrade.

I have my receiver's picture mode set to bypass and the hdmi set to through so it minimizes any processing. I don't notice a difference with the receiver first or tv first. I do notice a difference with the samsung in game mode with everything I can turn off, off vs my LG ultrawide monitor.

Also my PC is what I use 90% of the time. Other 10% is the Wii U. So I have it set to bitstream everything to the receiver. Also using pure audio mode on the receiver.

Can't wait to get my Titan X, 4:2:0 is so annoying to look at. :rolleyes:

Can you test it without the AVR? I'm curious if 4K adds extra lag via your receiver. 20.7ms in game mode should be as fast as your old LG, and yet you mentioned that it felt slower.

Can you test it without the AVR? I'm curious if 4K adds extra lag via your receiver. 20.7ms in game mode should be as fast as your old LG, and yet you mentioned that it felt slower.

Still feels the same. The LG gets 16.6ms on a leo bodnar if I remember correctly. The highest value I seen from review sites was about 18ms.

So the LG is definitely faster, but not by much. Also it's 3840x2160 vs 3440x1440.

1080p feels pretty good but I bought this for UHD. :D

I can increase the dpi on my mouse but it's not the same. I think after my Titan X and a few weeks of use, I should be fine. In my fighting games it's no issue. Waiting on my titan x to try some shooters @ uhd.

Edit: Comparing them side by side, the samsung only barely feels slower but when doing the input lag test from tft vanity showed that the samsung was actually up to 17ms faster in game mode compared to the lg in normal mode, which is weird. Maybe it's just because of the additional pixels the mouse has to go through.

I used a Nikon D800 with a 24mm lens @ F2.8, ISO 12,800, 1/4000 shutter speed to take the pics.

Last edited:
For some reason my Titans only output 30Hz to my 6700 @ 2560x1440. I wonder why?

For some reason my Titans only output 30Hz to my 6700 @ 2560x1440. I wonder why?

If I select 2560x1440 as well, it is also 30hz. I tried modifying the edid file but no luck. I'll try again with the Titan X and see if it helps. Worked fine @ 60hz @ 2560x1440 on my LG so it's definitely the tv's edid.

Would you not just connect an optical cable from the TV to your receiver? I haven't done this myself, but was getting ready to.

Please let us know.

Optical audio cable can't do DTS HD MA or TrueHD... Only DTS Core and Dolby Surround. That's audio for the plebs.

So is it confirmed now that What we thought was 20 / 45 lag in Gaming / PC mode is now 50 / 70 ?

So is it confirmed now that What we thought was 20 / 45 lag in Gaming / PC mode is now 50 / 70 ?

Game mode in 4k feels the same now as 1080p (20.7ms per Leo Bodnar tester) , pc mode in 4k still feels about two frames behind at least.

We wont know for sure until Nitemare runs his tests with the photos. My guess is that game mode in 4k is now inline with 1080p in game mode for input lag.... which is awsome!!

I just want to add that this display really hits all the spots for me:

Incredible uniformity, no banding vertical or horizontal ( very rare for a display), even on grey screens there is no banding!!! It really has been an issue for me with other displays, this panel nails it!!

Excellent colors!

Low input lag

4K... 60hz , 4K is a real game changer for me, being graphics whor since when Neo Geo came out, just love how clear and crisp everything looks!

This is all in regards to the 48ju7500. I actually really look forward to playing games again... hasnt happened in a long time :)

Last edited:
If I select 2560x1440 as well, it is also 30hz. I tried modifying the edid file but no luck. I'll try again with the Titan X and see if it helps. Worked fine @ 60hz @ 2560x1440 on my LG so it's definitely the tv's edid.

I remember being able to create a custom resolution at 3840 x 1440P/60 on the 970, but now it refuse to save at 3840x1440P/60hz on the 670. It only save the custom resolution at 30hz. I think it may be HDMI 1.4 related. Perhaps someone with the 9 series card can confirm.

Where are you getting this information? Leo Bodnar device tested the latest firmware at 20.7 and 33.6ms respectively.

Edit: I see Coolhandm3 already responded. He has the Leo Bodnar.

Watching Youtube videos on my iPhone, then connected to the TV to watch the video was pretty cool.
One of the main reasons Smart TVs make better monitors.

Game mode in 4k feels the same now as 1080p (20.7ms per Leo Bodnar tester) , pc mode in 4k still feels about two frames behind at least.

We wont know for sure until Nitemare runs his tests with the photos. My guess is that game mode in 4k is now inline with 1080p in game mode for input lag.... which is awsome!!

Incredible uniformity, no banding vertical or horizontal ( very rare for a display), even on grey screens there is no banding!!! It really has been an issue for me with other displays, this panel nails it!!

Excellent colors!

Low input lag

4K... 60hz , 4K is a real game changer for me, being graphics whor since when Neo Geo came out, just love how clear and crisp everything looks!

This is all in regards to the 48ju7500. I actually really look forward to playing games again... hasnt happened in a long time :)

Can you do me a favor? Can you test regular mode with everything turned off except for AMP clear? I am willing to trade input lag for emulated 120hz at 4K with only half the GPU power required. Witcher 3 at 120hz/4K with only 1 980 TI/Titan X sounds pretty awesome considering input lag won't matter much on that game.

Where are you getting this information? Leo Bodnar device tested the latest firmware at 20.7 and 33.6ms respectively.

People are reporting up to 2 frames more lag at 4k versus 1080p which is like another +32ms in lag? The Leo Bodnar test appears to only work in 1080p mode which is not real world results for 4k gaming. This is a big deal for me as well and awaiting results. I'm not buying a monitor with like 55ms lag in game mode and 75ms lag in PC mode on 4K. I can give 2 shits about lag on 1080p that's not what I'm buying this monitor for lol.

People are reporting up to 2 frames more lag at 4k versus 1080p which is like another +32ms in lag? The Leo Bodnar test appears to only work in 1080p mode which is not real world results for 4k gaming. This is a big deal for me as well and awaiting results. I'm not buying a monitor with like 55ms lag in game mode and 75ms lag in PC mode on 4K. I can give 2 shits about lag on 1080p that's not what I'm buying this monitor for lol.

Have to wait until Nitemare does his photo tests again.

With the testing I have done in 1080p and 4k with firmware 1209 and 1210 in game mode, I can confidently say game mode in 4k is around 20ms for lag.

Excellent colors!

Low input lag

I couldn't agree more. The 48" 6700 is so much better than my previous setup of Dell u3011 monitors.

I did find that the Dell u2414h monitors on the side are a bit of a let down. The resolution is sharp, but having the matte screen next to the Samsung just looks bad. I picked up a single Dell s2415h 1080p monitor as it has a glossy screen. The connections on it suck - just a single HDMI and D-Sub. I haven't tried it yet as I didn't have a DP to HDMI cable lying around. New cables arrive today, so I hope this will be the look I'm after with this multi monitor setup.

Yeah I'm confused.. Thought the below post was the latest numbers we have.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041571746&postcount=2357

coolhandm3 : Are you saying 4k is inline with 1080p based on your post stating to change to YBR 4:4:4 in the Nvidia Control Panel? Wont this wash out the image and kill contrast since you're not using 0-255? So in game mode we'd be at 4:2:2 YBR ? That sounds tolerable but better suited for Xbox and TV watching versus PC gaming/desktop usage.

coolhandm3 : Are you saying 4k is inline with 1080p based on your post stating to change to YBR 4:4:4 in the Nvidia Control Panel? Wont this wash out the image and kill contrast since you're not using 0-255? So in game mode we'd be at 4:2:2 YBR ? That sounds tolerable but better suited for Xbox and TV watching versus PC gaming/desktop usage.

You got it mixed up. The lag was introduced in firmware 1207/1209. Firmware 1210 seemingly has fixed that. YBCBR444 is equivalent to RGB full range without having the TV reset to HDMI auto each time it reboots or change source. YBCR444 is full range.

Edit: 4:2:2 is very, very close to 4:4:4. It's virtually indistinguishable now in-game. I've yet to see anyone mention noticing any difference between the two in-game.

I asked this question quite a while back, but I think it got overrun with all the firmware/lag/upgrade discussions.

Is anyone using PIP? I haven't checked with the newest firmware, but early on I was only seeing the option for TV/DirecTV as a source for the PIP window.

Thanks

Anyone worried about input lag, to the point where you are now ignoring over 100+ pages in this thread absolutely RAVING about how great these sets are, easily the best on the market at their price points by a wide wide margin, I have some simple advice for you:

Don't buy it. Just move along.

We're not going to chase input lag demons and irrational overblown fears you may have for months every time some noob comes in the thread and sayd "HURRR DURRR SO DIS DOES INPUT LAG BADS???".

The rest of us are gaming, at 4k, with no perceptible lag, at all, and loving it.

Just move along.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/arc...rmant-silicon-and-making-it-work-for-you.aspx

GTX 980Ti/TitanX + GTX 670 + Integrated GPU = 4K 60 FPS constant in DX12? Don't let me down, Microsoft!

The dream of dreams Cyph...why don't I believe that the company notorious for BSODs, and "The Kinect" can pull off any of these lofty promises they're making?

But it is nice that we can dream, sigh. :D

LOL! Plebs... I love it!

Is there a solution that does pass DTS HD MA and TrueHD?

Connect HDMI from PC to your TV.
Connect HDMI from your PC to your AV system.
Set clone video mode (or any other mode except single screen) in the video driver and then set as default the audio output device to your AV system in the sound Playback Devices.

Due to content protection, when playing back Blu Ray movies from BD discs, you may be forced to only use one display or it will give an error or blank screen.
So connect your AV amp to your TV as well and only use this for watching movies if you have to.
(lag doesnt matter watching movies)

I have had this happen so I just ripped all my movies to hard drive and dont suffer the stupid protection problems any more lol.

Last edited:
I asked this question quite a while back, but I think it got overrun with all the firmware/lag/upgrade discussions.

Is anyone using PIP? I haven't checked with the newest firmware, but early on I was only seeing the option for TV/DirecTV as a source for the PIP window.

Thanks

Just plugged in my PS4. Confirmed, you can't do PIP with two HDMI inputs.

Also confirmed, when switching inputs, Windows resize/move all windows to the upper left. Annoying, but there should be a way to fix this in software. I believe when switching input, Windows see the TV initially as 720P, then resizes it to 4K which causes the windows to resize as well.

However, PS4 looks excellent in 1080P! Looks practically native resolution so it's pretty much confirmed that this panel does 1:4 pixel doubling for 1080P.

Last edited:
You got it mixed up. The lag was introduced in firmware 1207/1209. Firmware 1210 seemingly has fixed that. YBCBR444 is equivalent to RGB full range without having the TV reset to HDMI auto each time it reboots or change source. YBCR444 is full range.

Edit: 4:2:2 is very, very close to 4:4:4. It's virtually indistinguishable now in-game. I've yet to see anyone mention noticing any difference between the two in-game.

Correct, 1209 brought on input lag in 4k in both game and pc modes, beforehand it was excellent. Now on 1210 its fixed for game mode 4k, pc mode still behind but understandable bc of 4:4:4.

In game the difference between 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 is a non issue.

Yes, in game mode at 4k it feels the same as 1080p game mode, which is 20.7ms.

Run ybr 4:4:4 in nvidia control panel so hdmi black level is correct. It is sending 0-255 signal.No black crush and the contrast looks correct and not washed out.

Anyone worried about input lag, to the point where you are now ignoring over 100+ pages in this thread absolutely RAVING about how great these sets are, easily the best on the market at their price points by a wide wide margin, I have some simple advice for you:

Don't buy it. Just move along.

We're not going to chase input lag demons and irrational overblown fears you may have for months every time some noob comes in the thread and sayd "HURRR DURRR SO DIS DOES INPUT LAG BADS???".

The rest of us are gaming, at 4k, with no perceptible lag, at all, and loving it.. :D

Pretty much. It is fair to say that before 1209 noone was complaining about input lag ;) I am just presenting numbers to help out. If its causing problems I will stop.

This is by far the best display I ever owned and I have had alot of displays :

Pioneer Elite pro101 ISF calibrated
sony 24fw900 crt
samsung 23a700d 120hz
sony 52hx909
lg 55 oled

etc etc ...

Those on the fence, trust those that are enjoying pc games at 4k... its an amazing experience!!!

Can you do me a favor? Can you test regular mode with everything turned off except for AMP clear? I am willing to trade input lag for emulated 120hz at 4K with only half the GPU power required. Witcher 3 at 120hz/4K with only 1 980 TI/Titan X sounds pretty awesome considering input lag won't matter much on that game.

Not worth it if you ask me ;)

Last edited:
Looking at 127ms....

Thanks. Bummer. Hopefully if Samsung reads this, fix it! :D

And again you guys fill the thread with a big shocking number, which the noobs will be attracted to like flies to shit while ignoring the actual numbers in Game/PC mode, and will now ask 100x questions and quote in disputing the 20ms/37ms numbers...because "I thought I saw someone said this panel lags at 127ms...and that Samsung needed to fix it"...

Just TRY the mode for yourself Cyph, you don't need an actual number. Play it. If normal feels good, nice. If it doesn't, don't use it.

50+ more posts will be generated from just that "127" figure now lol. :D

And again you guys fill the thread with a big shocking number, which the noobs will be attracted to like flies to shit while ignoring the actual numbers in Game/PC mode, and will now ask 100x questions and quote in disputing the 20ms/37ms numbers...because "I thought I saw someone said this panel lags at 127ms...and that Samsung needed to fix it"...

Just TRY the mode for yourself Cyph, you don't need an actual number. Play it. If normal feels good, nice. If it doesn't, don't use it.

I do notice the lag by switching it back and forth between game mode and off. If I need 120hz mode, it's definitely usable since I'm not an FPS competitive player.

Although, with game mode, I didn't notice any ghosting at all when I played my PS4 games. Motion looks great. I guess Starcraft was the only one it manifested in, and with the 7100, it's very minor. All in all, I'm pretty happy with this one. Money well spent!

The only thing that's going to get me to upgrade wil be the eventual OLED or Quantum Dot 144Hz monitor in 5-10 years. :)

You’re kind of preaching to the choir bud. 95% of the people in this thread are probably coming from 27”+ IPS monitors who are used to more laggy monitors due to the nature of IPS. Not the “pro gamers” who won’t touch a monitor that isn’t a TN, 1MS, and 144mhz with a 10 foot poll sacrificing resolution, monitor size, color accuracy, and vibrancy for that 1 extra frame of speed. No offense, but I’m getting kind of tired of hearing from random people on the internet that the monitor “feels good,” and “don’t be a noob and try it for yourself.” I’d trust a subject matter expert such as Tft Central who’s been reviewing monitors for probably over a decade versus you. He explicitly says anything more than 32ms is not suitable for high end gaming. I’m not dropping $950~$1400 on a monitor that may potentially have more than 32ms of lag on 4k resolution. Myself and dozens of other people on this thread are patiently waiting on good solid #’s and results before splurging on what may be the best monitor of all time. The last firmware potentially pushed the lag to 55ms on game mode and 75ms on PC mode on 4K (not 1080p) which was the sole factor for me not buying it. Awaiting results on the new firmware which some people have said has fixed the lag.

Last edited:
I do notice the lag by switching it back and forth between game mode and off. If I need 120hz mode, it's definitely usable since I'm not an FPS competitive player.

Although, with game mode, I didn't notice any ghosting at all when I played my PS4 games. Motion looks great. I guess Starcraft was the only one it manifested in, and with the 7100, it's very minor. All in all, I'm pretty happy with this one. Money well spent!

The only thing that's going to get me to upgrade wil be the eventual OLED or Quantum Dot 144Hz monitor in 5-10 years. :)

Same, totally agree. I had the Dell 3008 since it debuted, it managed to live that long, and it would take a hell of a lot to get me to move off of this Samsung. :cool:

You’re kind of preaching to the choir bud. 95% of the people in this thread are probably coming from 27”+ IPS monitors who are used to more laggy monitors due to the nature of IPS. Not the “pro gamers” who won’t touch a monitor that isn’t a TN, 1MS, and 144mhz with a 10 foot poll sacrificing resolution, monitor size, color accuracy, and vibrancy for that 1 extra frame of speed. No offense, but I’m getting kind of tired of hearing from random people on the internet that the monitor “feels good,” and “don’t be a noob and try it for yourself.” I’d trust a subject matter expert such as Tft Central who’s been reviewing monitors for probably over a decade versus you. He explicitly says anything more than 32ms is not suitable for high end gaming. I’m not dropping $950~$1400 on a monitor that may potentially have more than 32ms of lag on 4k resolution. Myself and dozens of other people on this thread are patiently waiting on good solid #’s and results before splurging on what may be the best monitor of all time. The last firmware potentially pushed the lag to 55ms on game mode and 75ms on PC mode on 4K (not 1080p) which was the sole factor for me not buying it. Awaiting results on the new firmware which some people have said has fixed the lag.

I think you're still missing what this is. It's a TV first, a "surprisingly" good PC monitor second.

TV's lag more than PC monitors. You're hoping for something that is not in this thread.

Handy Info: After the post that talked about how the tech warned that running the backlight at the max (20) setting would shorten the panel's life, I did some watt measurements.

At a 20 setting the panel was drawing roughly 30% more watts total out of the wall versus a 15 setting (roughly 170w versus 134w), and the panel's heat (infrared measure) increased by 15% as well when set to 20 versus 15.

I'm backing mine down, 15 is a nice balance. Everything else is staying the same (100/50/50) on the rest of the settings.

I think you're still missing what this is. It's a TV first, a "surprisingly" good PC monitor second.

TV's lag more than PC monitors. You're hoping for something that is not in this thread.

I use mine as a monitor first, TV second. It's better than all of the other monitors I've owned, as well as the ones I purchased and return. The problem is that people don't want to compromise; they want big, cheap, no PWM, 4k, low input lag, IPS viewing angle, VA contrast, no blooming, great uniformity, etc. Let them keep looking for that unicorn. Maybe if they wait long enough, there will be one out there in a few years. In the meantime, I will be playing the Witcher 3 in 4K with a panel that has near-IPS color, no blooming, great uiformity, awesome contrast, and low input lag.

Handy Info: After the post that talked about how the tech warned that running the backlight at the max (20) setting would shorten the panel's life, I did some watt measurements.

At a 20 setting the panel was drawing roughly 30% more watts total out of the wall versus a 15 setting (roughly 170w versus 134w), and the panel's heat (infrared measure) increased by 15% as well when set to 20 versus 15.

I'm backing mine down, 15 is a nice balance. Everything else is staying the same (100/50/50) on the rest of the settings.

Overclocking my CPU is supposed to shorten it's life too. None have failed yet. The chance of it failing prematurely is lower than the chance you upgrade your CPU/GPU/display before it dies. Heck, I want my plasma to die so the wife will let me buy a new 4k OLED. It's still alive and well running at 20 backlight since the day I bought it.

Overclocking my CPU is supposed to shorten it's life too. None have failed yet. The chance of it failing prematurely is lower than the chance you upgrade your CPU/GPU/display before it dies. Heck, I want my plasma to die so the wife will let me buy a new 4k OLED. It's still alive and well running at 20 backlight since the day I bought it.

Same, 20+ years of overvolting/overclocking CPUs, since my first 486SX-25, and have never had one fail.

But I don't think I've ever kept a CPU longer than three years, and I have had displays go (my poor Westy 37"...only lasted 28 months..sniff).

Food for thought anyway, maybe helps keep the room temp down a bit during summer by running it cooler, but the Titan X overclocked with it's absolutely ridiculous "90%+ auto fan speed with 70C GPU temp" in any 4k game is like having a hair dryer on in terms of room temp lol...

Ordered one of those EVGA AIO hybrid water coolers for it (the 980 GTX one works on the Titan X), supposed to get here today...will be curious if it helps at all:

http://www.evga.com/products/Product.aspx?pn=400-HY-H980-B1

The problem is that people don't want to compromise; they want big, cheap, no PWM, 4k, low input lag, IPS viewing angle, VA contrast, no blooming, great uniformity, etc. Let them keep looking for that unicorn. Maybe if they wait long enough, there will be one out there in a few years. In the meantime, I will be playing the Witcher 3 in 4K with a panel that has near-IPS color, no blooming, great uiformity, awesome contrast, and low input lag.

I agree with you 100% except there's 1 major flaw to your argument. There already is a "big, cheap, no PWM, 4k, low input lag, IPS viewing angle, VA contrast, no blooming, great uniformity, etc" monitor out right now. It's called the Philips BDM4065UC and it's what I and thousands of other people also own.

This Samsung technically only has 2 confirmed pro's to the Philips and brings 2 con's. From my personal preference/experience though, the Samsung has 4 pro's which makes me want to change to the Samsung from the Philips which are:

Pros:
1. Has a more glossy screen than the Philips (most people actually would hate this but I'm a glossy fan)
2. The screen has a slight curve to it which is much needed for such a large screen sitting close while the Philips doesn't.
3. This screen probably has a more vivid "wow factor" picture than the Philips due to my vast experience owning Samsung TV's (although the colors could theoretically be more unrealistic than the Philips)
4. The Samsung can be larger than 40" such as 48" unlike the Philips.

Cons:
1. The Samsung has PWM at any brightness unlike the Philips where is goes away at max brightness and also has double the PWM frequency.
2. The Samsung has more lag than the Philips in true 4:4:4 mode but theoretically the same in 4:2:2 mode (assuming another firmware doesn't botch it up again) ***This is what I'm trying to confirm before purchasing***

Back