New Samsung 4k for everyone.

I think the 4:4:4 Game Mode claim is misleading.
Just because it says that UHD is on doesn't mean it's active. We've been over this in the past.

Okay, I just got home and I ran the test again. I'm not sure any more. While I can read the "Quick Brown Fox," it's not as clear as PC mode. PC Mode I know for sure is 4:4:4.

Once I open the file in Photoshop, I can tell the difference between PC Mode and non-PC Mode. UHD and non-UHD looks the same in Photoshop when not in PC Mode. As of right now, I cannot confirm that it's possible to get 4:4:4 in Game Mode.

Did you change sharpness to 0 in game mode?

I think the 4:4:4 Game Mode claim is misleading.
Just because it says that UHD is on doesn't mean it's active. We've been over this in the past.

Well, but some people claim that the test images pass, so it should mean that it is indeed active.

Well, but some people claim that the test images pass, so it should mean that it is indeed active.

It's typically a subtle effect even if you know what to look for, and people getting the test wrong is hardly unheard of.

There's no reason why any set can't do this with all processing off except maybe spite from the manufacturer. But then again they don't seem to get PWM freq right either even when the fix is free.

It's typically a subtle effect even if you know what to look for, and people getting the test wrong is hardly unheard of.

There's no reason why any set can't do this with all processing off except maybe spite from the manufacturer. But then again they don't seem to get PWM freq right either even when the fix is free.

Did you change sharpness to 0 in game mode?

Pc mode's sharpness is default at 50, you have to lower the sharpness to 0 in game mode to equal the 50 sharpness in pc mode.

I have checked all the images and it passes all of them. My Samsung 65h8000 does 4:4:4 in pc mode and it passes exactly the same and I also checked pc mode on the 48ju7500 and it passes aswell.

I checked this before updating firmware and in game mode it didnt pass now it does.

You have to also turn off dynamic contrast and smart led. Pc mode has all of these off and greyed out, same with fixing the sharpness.

I could understand everyone being sceptical but at default game mode setting even with 4:4:4 looks way worse then pc.mode because of all the options turned on at default, you have to following my settings to get it to look exactly like pc mode, if you dont do it then its not an apples to apples comparison....

Before the update uhd color can be turned on in game mode but it wasnt working.

4:4:4 is not a sublte difference to me, it is very obvious.

Last edited:
Pc mode's sharpness is default at 50, you have to lower the sharpness to 0 in game mode to equal the 50 sharpness in pc mode.

I have checked all the images and it passes all of them. My Samsung 65h8000 does 4:4:4 in pc mode and it passes exactly the same and I also checked pc mode on the 48ju7500 and it passes aswell.

I checked this before updating firmware and in game mode it didnt pass now it does.

You have to also turn off dynamic contrast and smart led. Pc mode has all of these off and greyed out, same with fixing the sharpness.

I could understand everyone being sceptical but at default game mode setting even with 4:4:4 looks way worse then pc.mode because of all the options turned on at default, you have to following my settings to get it to look exactly like pc mode, if you dont do it then its not an apples to apples comparison....

Before the update uhd color can be turned on in game mode but it wasnt working.

4:4:4 is not a sublte difference to me, it is very obvious.

Picture Settings doesn't adjust UHD 4:4:4 Color Settings.
UHD is a factory calibration that allows 4:4:4. I can tell immediately between PC and Game Mode, if settings where optimal or not.

Haven't seen any photos should Game Mode active and the Test Image.

Picture Settings doesn't adjust UHD 4:4:4 Color Settings.
UHD is a factory calibration that allows 4:4:4. I can tell immediately between PC and Game Mode.

I am not sure what your are saying here.

Go into pc.mode and increase sharpness to 100... that is what the default 50 in game mode looks like, over sharpness causes ringing and will make text look ALOT worse.

I can make game mode look better then pc mode, there is a color option that on default is native and you need to change it to custom.

I find it kinda funny that people think I am mistaken...

I am not sure what your are saying here.

Go into pc.mode and increase sharpness to 100... that is what the default 50 in game mode looks like, over sharpness causes ringing and will make text look ALOT worse.

I can make game mode look better then pc mode, there is a color option that on default is native and you need to change it to custom.

I find it kinda funny that people think I am mistaken...

Again, it's not about how it looks. It about using the Test Image to know for sure.

I think the ju7100 and ju7500 have a 12bit panel... I dont think the 6500/6700 do.

4:4:4 only works in 8bit, which all the panels are from the lower to the higher tier.

Last edited:
I realize that .... here are pics... not that easy to take..

I put many photos up on my flickr, please see for yourself it is working on the 48ju7500 in game mode...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51848664@N02/17012802499/

I see a horizontal scrollbar on the images, which means that you are not viewing the image at 100% but you have it zoomed in?
When they are zoomed in the test will pass even if 4:4:4 is not working, you must have it set to 100%.

Ok, where exactly does one set "Game mode" other than device type in the source menu?

I am on a UN40JU6500. I verified that I have the latest firmware (1206), via wi-fi and also by downloading the firmware to a USB drive.

I made sure the image is set to 100% zoom in Chrome.

Device Type - PC

http://i.imgur.com/DfSOYlx.jpg

Device Type - Game

http://i.imgur.com/d0f3nPJ.jpg

Ok, where exactly does one set "Game mode" other than device type in the source menu?

I am on a UN40JU6500. I verified that I have the latest firmware (1206), via wi-fi and also by downloading the firmware to a USB drive.

Device Type - PC

Device Type - Game

It should be under System - General.

So there seems to be alot of mixed statements with game mode and 4:4:4. I just want to know if it is available on the ju7100 and latest firmware?

But then my next problem would be that these 4K sammy series are not available in Australia yet, or if they are even coming.

I was going to try one out vs my Philips 40" monitor.

I see a horizontal scrollbar on the images, which means that you are not viewing the image at 100% but you have it zoomed in?
When they are zoomed in the test will pass even if 4:4:4 is not working, you must have it set to 100%.

How do I view it at 100? I dont understand what you mean?

I think the ju7100 and ju7500 have a 12bit panel... I dont think the 6500/6700 do.

Awsome right!!!! I instantly could tell even before pulling up the test images and the input lag stayed the same at 20.9ms!!! Soo beyond happy about this!!! Best pc monitor and for gaming I ever used... !!!

Remember everyone in game mode to turn shaprness to 0, turn off dynamic contrast in advanced settings and in picture settings turn off smart led. Also put color from native to custom. These are all things D-Nice did to all of my Samsungs when he isf calibrated them.

Device Type - PC

Device Type - Game

Second image is not 4:4:4

This is the image to use. Save it and view it 100% scaling.
The top two and bottom lines should be easily read. Take a screenshot and post here.

g0DOhSq.png

Second image is not 4:4:4

Yes. My post was in the support of others who can't get 4:4:4 in game mode.

I tried again using Cyph's suggested menu option.

I can see 4:4:4 only if the source is set to PC or DVI PC. And with that device type, game mode option is greyed out.

If I change device type to anything else, no setting in the menu is able to give me 4:4:4.

I've done all of these tests on firmware 1206 on my 7500 just now - HDMI port 2, Game mode, nothing. Doesn't work. No 4:4:4 in game mode.

Done some more test on the 6500. While I could see the text test, changing the connection to PC made it a lot clearer to read. In other images 4:2:2 was more pronounce than 4:4:4. I might have gotten too happy too early.

This is the image to use. Save it and view it 100% scaling.
The top two and bottom lines should be easily read. Take a screenshot and post here.

g0DOhSq.png

I have screenshots on my link above... I can see clearly the lines I had the image at 100%.

I have the hdmi on hdmi port 2 that is labeled dvi and put the picture to game mode theb enable uhd for input 2 and the tv will turn off then on again. I didnt unplug the cable.

I am using a Titan X. Has anyone tried it exactly how I did it?? It is working for me...

Regardless of the results, I would not switch from PC mode to Game Mode. This is the best looking "monitor" I've gotten and I've gone through lots, and game mode does not offer the same quality. For those hung up about input lag and have an old monitor that was measured using a camera method, the Leo Bodnar is 10-12 ms lower. HDTVTest shows that 21ms LB is equivalent to 9-12ms camera, and 36ms is equivalent to 24-26ms. So for those with an older monitor, make sure you're comparing test results Apple to Apple. You'd be surprised how well PC mode works.

Has anyone tried it exactly how I did it??

What device type did you choose under Source HDMI 2? Did you name the source anything?
I tried 'Game' as the device type, along with blank. No 4:4:4. And what is this 1204 firmware you're talking about - 1206 is the latest.

What device type did you choose under Source HDMI 2? Did you name the source anything?
I tried 'Game' as the device type, along with blank. No 4:4:4. And what is this 1204 firmware you're talking about - 1206 is the latest.

Sorry its 1206 firmware. I dont name the input anything. Hdmi 2 input, turn uhd color on hdmi 2 and the tv turns on and off. Then it passes those tests.

Hmmmm

So noone else can get it to work?

I was sooo freaking excited when i heard this.

I have three thoughts...

Could it simply his tv has a glitch? Thats why its going on and off but managing to work after.

It ciuld be the cable type (this has happened before) you mentioned it was in the plug labeled dvi... is it a dvi cable? Or dvi to hdmi? Or pure hdmi. What other options besides uhd are turned on? Can you do the same test in some mode other than game with uhd on and see if you get same result? Or try another input?

Or... you could be "viewing the test wrong" either by scaling the image, or different image, or just not sensitive to chroma. That is NOT meant to be an insult at all. Just possible.

I am hoping it is none of those... as i have been waiting to order either a 7 series or 6!

What are all your thoughts on those 3 things? Everyone else who thought they had it working has confirmed its not right?

I removed this post. I was just trying to help and received derision instead. Provide your own proof rather than opinion, I am done.

Last edited:
^^^

That picture makes no sense. Why is that test image so large compared to the fine-pixel OSD?

You've got the image scaled/zoomed - here's what that test image looks like against the OSD:
** image removed **

Last edited:
The picture looks zoomed in. In order to properly test, the picture has to be at 100% which would be 1/9th the size of the 4k screen which would be covered by the Samsung menu (if it's in the middle, it would be completely covered). I think this is what's tripping up people. On my initial try, I zoomed in until I could read he last two lines, which was the incorrect method. At 100%, 4:4:4 the last two lines will be clear.

The picture looks zoomed in.

It is LOL. WTF people.

All they have to do is right-click, save-as, the picture on the previous page. DO NOT use it as it sits on the forums as [H] zooms in all of it's pictures.

I have screenshots on my link above... I can see clearly the lines I had the image at 100%.

How do you mean you had it at 100% scaling?

On your link I see scrollbar on the pictures, if they were not zoomed in there should be no scrollbar, right?

How do you mean you had it at 100% scaling?

On your link I see scrollbar on the pictures, if they were not zoomed in there should be no scrollbar, right?

Tonite I will save the image to the desktop and then bring it up,I image bringing it up it will be 100 % size wise(??)and will re-confirm. All other test images I will do the same on aswell.

Regardless of the results, I would not switch from PC mode to Game Mode. This is the best looking "monitor" I've gotten and I've gone through lots, and game mode does not offer the same quality. For those hung up about input lag and have an old monitor that was measured using a camera method, the Leo Bodnar is 10-12 ms lower. HDTVTest shows that 21ms LB is equivalent to 9-12ms camera, and 36ms is equivalent to 24-26ms. So for those with an older monitor, make sure you're comparing test results Apple to Apple. You'd be surprised how well PC mode works.

Works for me, and agree. Not worth it for 15ms. Thread has become a hilarious Game Mode 4:4:4 snipe hunt and I refuse to be led on the hunt. :D

Tonite I will save the image to the desktop and then bring it up,I image bringing it up it will be 100 % size wise(??)and will re-confirm. All other test images I will do the same on aswell.

Yeah, download it. You can open it in Paint and make sure it says 100% on the bottom. Or open it with Photo Viewer in Windows and it will be 100%. If it is a 4K image then you will have to open it with Photo Viewer, use the slideshow button and press spacebar to pause it.

On a sidenote (lol) over the past few days of use I've now started to creep the 48" closer to me on my desk...the shrinking has begun! :p

I started out at a view distance of 36" away, am now at 30" away and it feels normal. Even the height has suddenly become a "wasn't my old display this height too?" non-issue, it's amazing how the brain adapts perception to whatever your current reality is.

I have received a software update 1207.2 to my 48JU7500 that has affected the 4-4-4 support in GAME mode.

I have tested it including taking macro photos of test images in PC and GAME mode to compare pixels and it is clear that 4-4-4 is NOT SUPPORTED in GAME mode still. That being said the actual perceived output by human eye is much improved in the game mode.

In fact in normal desktop I cant tell the difference. I can tell the difference in the test images (the quick brown fox all lines are easily readable but you can tell that a pixel is off here or there). The vertical/horizontal purple lines test looks almost right except in GAME mode the vertical lines box will be darker then in PC mode.

This is the macro photo of a test picture in PC mode (4-4-4). It shows vertical purple lines spaced with black lines (the left and top border is white). This is what it supposed to look like for reference:

Mo8JymP.jpg

This is the same picture in GAME mode. Notice that the black lines have disappeared and instead every vertical line is now purple. To compensate for brightness it looks like the bottom half of every sub pixel is turned off (only top half is on). This approximates the 4-4-4 brightness of the purple box but not quite (in reality 4-4-4 is a bit brighter). Also in 4-4-4 if you look closely you can see vertical purple lines interspersed with black lines, in the game mode it is now solid purple color.

ntZzqSX.jpg

All of the above being said let me re-iterate that is a significant improvement in image quality in GAME mode.

All of the above being said let me re-iterate that is a significant improvement in image quality in GAME mode.

Thanks for the informative post. So the results so far on this new firmware is a vast improvement in image quality on game mode but it's still not a true 4:4:4. Would you say that game mode or PC mode is better now? Is the 16ms gain in PC mode worth the image quality/clarity gain over the game mode or can you not tell a difference what so ever unless it's stringent 4:4:4 image tests? I would personally chose image quality over speed but again if you can't see this in real-world usage than I might benefit more from the game mode.

Back