New Samsung 4k for everyone.

Hope u dont do any gaming with monitor that close :)

I actually just played Watch Dogs for a bit. Playing the game 4ft away with the curved screen is incredible. The way it fills your peripheral vision makes it feel like you're there.

The Oculus Rift DK2 is a totally different experience, but this is actually right up there in terms of fun factor.

Anyway, my PC was only getting 40-50fps @ 3840x2160, medium settings in Watch Dogs. Just ordered a 2nd GTX980 for SLI :D There's a night and day difference playing in native resolution vs upscaled. I can see how 4K gaming makes total sense now.

Mine came from Crutchfield no problem. I'd blame the packaging or the carrier, not the retailer. The things ship in their original boxes - Crutchfield doesn't really impact that.

You're right. I blamed Crutchfield and gave Samsung too much credit. It was a feather or hair under the screen. Wasn't cracked just a defect.

So I bought a GTX 970 to test out 4k and it looks fantastic. Of course, my frame rate was no good. I'm not sure if I should return or get another 970 for SLI. If SLI can't hit 60 stable the it's a waste.

I'm not sure if the size of this thing makes me notice the ghosting more because it's so big but it's there. It's the only con about this panel. Also, I was able to create a custom 3840 by 1440 desktop. However, it didn't seem to work in Dragon Age. Has anyone got a game to run 21:9 with this panel?

Just tried out the 48in 6500 and i think i like it better than the 40in 6500. I know most people are interested in the curve, but I tested one in store and there is no way I could use it to edit photos. Will post some camera-phone pics tomorrow for those interested in the flat version.

This is good but I like the cool setting. Also I don't have access to the HDMI Black Level setting, even in Game Mode when the UHD mode is on. It's greyed out.

I find your settings to be too bright in general. But it's a good starting point. Maybe if we could bring the backlight down a bit it would be better. I have a Spyder 3 and am going to fool around with it over the next few days.

Also, I watched the first 2 episodes of Daredevil in 4k and it looks great. Almost as good as the best Blu-Rays. Definitely worth it just for this show. I turned the Motion Compensation shit down to 2 and that makes a big difference. Not so much of a soap-opera effect now.

If it is too bright lower "contrast" that will make it less bright without increasing PWM. I tested it at 50 contrast and it works fine just not as bright.

Just tried out the 48in 6500 and i think i like it better than the 40in 6500. I know most people are interested in the curve, but I tested one in store and there is no way I could use it to edit photos. Will post some camera-phone pics tomorrow for those interested in the flat version.

I have the 48JU7500. The curve of the monitor is not "constant". Its obvious when the monitor is off and you are watching your own reflection. The middle 50% of the monitor is curved. The outer 25% wings are flat. So if you care about absolutely no distortion for professional work curved is probably not for you (non on these monitors anyway).

Hey if you have an AMD 290 you can still run 1440p via HDMI at 4:2:0 I'm pretty sure and 4K@30hz

Is it possible to connect a normal webcam to the USB tv cam port and use it for Skype? Or is a special Samsung TV camera needed?

J7GrPoY.png

So I bought a GTX 970 to test out 4k and it looks fantastic. Of course, my frame rate was no good. I'm not sure if I should return or get another 970 for SLI. If SLI can't hit 60 stable the it's a waste.

I'm not sure if the size of this thing makes me notice the ghosting more because it's so big but it's there. It's the only con about this panel. Also, I was able to create a custom 3840 by 1440 desktop. However, it didn't seem to work in Dragon Age. Has anyone got a game to run 21:9 with this panel?

What games and fps were you getting at 4k??

Yes, buy local when it comes to TV/monitors. Too often people are receiving other monitors with dead pixels, backlight bleed, excessive glow etc., and in this case shipping damage.

I agree. Fortunately I was able to get this TV for just $100 more than it went for at Amazon. When you factor in shipping and my ability to return and swap it out easily enough I think it was worth it.

I agree. Fortunately I was able to get this TV for just $100 more than it went for at Amazon. When you factor in shipping and my ability to return and swap it out easily enough I think it was worth it.

What if they ship it express?

Express shipping make less stops and take less abuse.
It's transported via Air and then quickly loaded onto the delivery truck.

For the price of express could be +/- the cost in sales tax.

What if they ship it express?

Express shipping make less stops and take less abuse.
It's transported via Air and then quickly loaded onto the delivery truck.

For the price of express could be +/- the cost in sales tax.

I don't know if I'd take the risk but that's obviously better than UPS ground.

You'll be hurting on VRAM with GTX970s. It's crazy how much an extra .5GB will buy you, no pun intended.

And yes, this panel does have some blur. I played a ton of FPSs last night and I can't say I'm impressed with the pixel response. Was definitely getting some eye/brain fatigue after even an hour of BF4. The reviews said the 7500s have faster pixel response, and I'm wondering if I should take the exchange plunge. I'd hate to risk getting a bad panel when I've got a perfect one now and I'm not a fan of full gloss panels, so I'm torn.

The whole thing about HDMI Black Level being basically stuck on Auto really pisses me off. I have found my absolute perfect settings (balance between brightness, contrast and backlight) to make this display look really good with minimal fatigue on white screens like Word/IE for productivity use. Problem is I can only get those settings in 'Normal' mode on the HDMI Black Level, which gets reset to Auto every time the PC is turned off. They really need to fix this problem.

Another surprise, which I guess I should have expected as this is a TV, is the lack of sleep mode. I haven't had to touch my display's power button in like 15 years, but here in 2015 I now have to turn this thing on and off, lol. Sure wish Samsung would get back into the large monitor business again.

You'll be hurting on VRAM with GTX970s. It's crazy how much an extra .5GB will buy you, no pun intended.

And yes, this panel does have some blur. I played a ton of FPSs last night and I can't say I'm impressed with the pixel response. Was definitely getting some eye/brain fatigue after even an hour of BF4. The reviews said the 7500s have faster pixel response, and I'm wondering if I should take the exchange plunge. I'd hate to risk getting a bad panel when I've got a perfect one now and I'm not a fan of full gloss panels, so I'm torn.

The whole thing about HDMI Black Level being basically stuck on Auto really pisses me off. I have found my absolute perfect settings (balance between brightness, contrast and backlight) to make this display look really good with minimal fatigue on white screens like Word/IE for productivity use. Problem is I can only get those settings in 'Normal' mode on the HDMI Black Level, which gets reset to Auto every time the PC is turned off. They really need to fix this problem.

Another surprise, which I guess I should have expected as this is a TV, is the lack of sleep mode. I haven't had to touch my display's power button in like 15 years, but here in 2015 I now have to turn this thing on and off, lol. Sure wish Samsung would get back into the large monitor business again.

Switch HDMI black level it to low/auto and increase brightness to 60. Problem solved. Perfect black levels.

You can set it so it goes to turns off after 15 minutes but unfortunately there is no lower setting.

You can set it so it goes to turns off after 15 minutes but unfortunately there is no lower setting.

This did not work on my 40in. It stays on the no input floating message. Have not tried on the 48in yet.

Switch HDMI black level it to low/auto and increase brightness to 60. Problem solved. Perfect black levels.

Yes that is the best setting in Auto mode, but when the backlight level has to be turned so far down so as not to burn my retinas out of my skull from brightness, whites start to look like irradiated crap. There is a much better, closer, set of settings that's achievable with the black level set to normal.

Yes that is the best setting in Auto mode, but when the backlight level has to be turned so far down so as not to burn my retinas out of my skull from brightness, whites start to look like irradiated crap. There is a much better, closer, set of settings that's achievable with the black level set to normal.

Would you mind posting the settings you use on normal black level?

Yeah my primary usage is desktop work so I will live with 1080P for a little while. Having used 4k, I do see 1080p as a jagged mess now lol. The next iteration is coming out. No point in purchasing the 970 right now.

I think If FPS is what you play most, you may have a decision on your hand if this is the right monitor. I don't think its worth it, personally, to pay 60% more for the 7500. I would save that for next years models, hopefully a full fledged computer monitor. Currently, there are tons of compromises, and we have to pick our poison: size, refresh, viewing angles, ips glow, low contrast, clouding, pixel response, etc. none of the 32-40" panels are perfect. The Phillips would've been close to perfect if it didn't have those problems!

I think I will use this until I find the perfect 40" monitor with display port, great pixel response, semi gloss (I'm a fan now having used this panel), excellent scaling, contrast and viewing angle, PWM free, hopefully in a few years time as technology marches on. In the mean time, this does strike the best balance of compromises. This will eventually move to my bedroom as a TV which makes upgrading later an easy choice.

Btw, it does have sleep mode. The only issue is that it sleeps after 15 minutes!

Yeah my primary usage is desktop work so I will live with 1080P for a little while. Having used 4k, I do see 1080p as a jagged mess now lol. The next iteration is coming out. No point in purchasing the 970 right now.

I think If FPS is what you play most, you may have a decision on your hand if this is the right monitor. I don't think its worth it, personally, to pay 60% more for the 7500. I would save that for next years models, hopefully a full fledged computer monitor. Currently, there are tons of compromises, and we have to pick our poison: size, refresh, viewing angles, ips glow, low contrast, clouding, pixel response, etc. none of the 32-40" panels are perfect. The Phillips would've been close to perfect if it didn't have those problems!

I think I will use this until I find the perfect 40" monitor with display port, great pixel response, semi gloss (I'm a fan now having used this panel), excellent scaling, contrast and viewing angle, PWM free, hopefully in a few years time as technology marches on. In the mean time, this does strike the best balance of compromises. This will eventually move to my bedroom as a TV which makes upgrading later an easy choice.

Btw, it does have sleep mode. The only issue is that it sleeps after 15 minutes!

Agreed, all good points, and yes I have a decision on my hands. I use this for sometimes 8hrs of productivity use at a time and I cannot have it fatigue my eyes on the whites, which it's starting to do as I'm typing this. Could this be the PWM?

A true sleep setting implies it is also wakeable, which this most definitely isn't.

Really wish I could see the 7500 first hand...

Here are my settings in PC Mode:

Picture Mode - Standard
Backlight - 5
Contrast - 70
Brightness - 45
Sharpness 50
Color Tone - Standard
Black Level - Low

I use this for productivity in low light. No strain on my eyes.

Snapped some images. Camera-phone quality from sending to a buddy, but they might be helpful to someone.

NvjQAp8.jpg

Dell 3007wfp in front, 40ju6500 in middle, 48ju6500 in back.

G5bY7kg.jpg

40JU6500. The desk is 72" x 36". Approx 3.5' viewing distance.

9kLUthA.jpg

40JU6500. Desktop at 150% windows scaling. Pint for scale.

9XELBNs.jpg

40JU6500. Firefox and Thunderbird at 150%.

lhNTfzR.jpg

40JU6500. Photoshop CC 2014. UI is tiny, I'll need to address this somehow. It's worth noting that now I can view 24MP images at exactly 50% and fill the viewing area with little to no scrolling.

pK68IBU.jpg

48JU6500. New pint for scale.

VKEBEOb.jpg

48JU6500. Firefox and Thunderbird at 150%.

gKtmzJm.jpg

48JU6500. Photoshop CC 2014. UI is a little larger. I prefer the size of the 48 if there is no UI enlargement fix available.

UpASj3l.jpg

48JU6500. Guild Wars 2. 100+ player battle. For lack of a better word, epic.

I'll need more time with the 48' but I'm fairly certain it's going to be the keeper.

Agreed, all good points, and yes I have a decision on my hands. I use this for sometimes 8hrs of productivity use at a time and I cannot have it fatigue my eyes on the whites, which it's starting to do as I'm typing this. Could this be the PWM?

A true sleep setting implies it is also wakeable, which this most definitely isn't.

Really wish I could see the 7500 first hand...

You're right. Bummer on he sleep. But at least we get a remote! :)

I think someone here bought a 7100. Maybe they can let you know how the ghosting is on that. If the glossy panel is less reflective, it may be better than this semi gloss with punchier colors.

I think someone here bought a 7100. Maybe they can let you know how the ghosting is on that. If the glossy panel is less reflective, it may be better than this semi gloss with punchier colors.

I ordered one, it arrived in my town but they sent it as home delivery, so I will have to wait for the Post office to delivery it on Monday evening. After seeing people in here replacing 48" with 40", I am thinking whether I did a mistake, and maybe should have got the 40" instead. Maybe ill return it, maybe not.

Here are my settings in PC Mode:

Picture Mode - Standard
Backlight - 5
Contrast - 70
Brightness - 45
Sharpness 50
Color Tone - Standard
Black Level - Low

I use this for productivity in low light. No strain on my eyes.

Those are the exact same settings I'm using, except my contrast is at 90. Works very well for me. Bright enough during the day, not too bright at night.

Glossy panel = less reflective? :confused:

The Samsung JU7100 reflects very little ambient light due to its glossy screen, which is great for improving the perceived contrast ratio when a few lights are on. However, this type of finish has two downsides: direct light sources (like bulbs) get a rainbow around their reflection, and the eye tends to focus instead on reflected objects because they are well-defined. Therefore, this TV is ideal when you have the lights either overhead or behind the TV - not facing the TV.

http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/samsung/ju7100

The Samsung JU7100 is a great 4k LED TV. With the exception of the discoloration it gets when viewed at an angle, it has impressive picture quality. It is also a great gaming TV, with low input lag and minimal motion blur.]

With Frys having the no tax promo and 12 month no interest I may bite the bullet and swap for the 7100.

so, we know that neither the JU6500 nor the JU7100 can NOT do 120fps 1080p.
what about the JU7500?

Last edited:
With Frys having the no tax promo and 12 month no interest I may bite the bullet and swap for the 7100.

If you think it's worth it at the price difference.

Is the Samsung JU7100 worth the upgrade vs the JU6500?

It depends on the price difference, and how you value that difference of course. But yes, the upgrade to the JU7100 is pretty significant:

Less motion blur
No judder for movies (24p support)
Glossy finish (less ambient light reflected, but at the cost of more defined reflections with sometimes rainbows around them)
Better remote
120Hz motion interpolation
3D

Therefore, get the JU7100, unless the price difference is too big for your budget or you have lights directly facing the TV.

How do you guys adjust the HDMI Black Level with UHD Mode (4:4:4) on? Mine is grayed out.

None of that stuff in the 7000 series means very much if you're using it primarily as a PC display. I'm still confused by why exactly the 6500/6700 doesn't support 24Hz? I'm able to output in that refresh rate just fine from my Titan (it even shows up as 24Hz on the display's info).

Last edited:
How do you guys adjust the HDMI Black Level with UHD Mode (4:4:4) on? Mine is grayed out.

None of that stuff in the 7000 series means very much if you're using it primarily as a PC display. I'm still confused by why exactly the 6500/6700 doesn't support 24Hz? I'm able to output in that refresh rate just fine from my Titan (it even shows up as 24Hz on the display's info).

You can't. I'm pretty sure it's grayed out if you have UHD on. There must be a reason why it's grayed out. I don't think its on auto, it's just disabled.

You're right. I'm not an FPS player. My moment of insanity is over. A better GPU is a much better use of my money.

I can adjust the HDMI black level in UHD mode on the 48JU6500. I did not test this on the 40JU6500. Based on the chroma test image it looks to be 4:4:4 still.

Back