New Samsung 4k for everyone.

Ok... I may be a total idiot but I could not find the exact measurements on this tv. I did search my measurement, size, inches." " " If you get what I mean lol. I am trying to make a cutout to see the real size. If someone can help... that would be AWESOME : )

Which TV?

40" Flat 7 Series

Stand: 918 x 536 x 67 mm
Without stand: 918 x 588 x 272 mm

48" Flat 7 Series

Stand: 1087 x 631 x 67 mm
Without Stand: 1087 x 683 x 278 mm

Ok... I may be a total idiot but I could not find the exact measurements on this tv. I did search my measurement, size, inches." " " If you get what I mean lol. I am trying to make a cutout to see the real size. If someone can help... that would be AWESOME : )

6700 40" ..... 36.2" wide x 21.0" high w/o stand (23.2" high with stand)
6700 48" ..... 42.7" wide x 24.8" high w/o stand (26.9" high with stand)

Brahmzy - looks great!! :cool:

JU6700
40" - 36.2" x 21.0" x 4.1"
48" - 42.7" x 24.8" x 4.6"

edit: Lol...obviously the specs are hard to find ;)

I would simply move the windows to avoid that. Fortunately I don't have that problem. I sit high enough that it isn't usually an issue. Though I do move windows I'm actively working with lower on the screen. I had that habbit with my 30's.

Good technique. I'm starting to do that myself.
Lowering the screen without physically doing it.

Got 'er all hooked up. I'm in love!!!

I've still gotta tweak the brightness, backlight levels, but this is definitely a keeper! Input Lag is perfectly fine for me. It's about as fast as my Z30i as far as pixel response, just bit slower.
Good enough for my eyes. I'm SO glad I did not get the 48 - the 40 is absolutely perfect. Any bigger would not have worked for me.
Anybody on the fence, JUST DO IT!

Oh, and 1080p is a no-go. Looks like jagged garbage top my eyes - YMMV.

Start with these settings and tweak to suit your needs.

In PC mode:

Back-light: 20 (minimum PWM)
Contrast: 90 (higher then 90 the upper end gets crushed on this test http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php)
Brightness: 60 (higher starts to wash out blacks, lower the blacks are getting crushed, use this test to adjust: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php with 60 I can see box 5)
Sharpness: 50
HDMI black level: auto or low (do not set to normal as it completely washes out blacks)

In GAME mode (set input device to game, then system->general->game mode on)

Back-light: 20
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 60
Sharpness: 0 (50 looks absolutely horrible. 0 looks identical to 50 in PC mode).
HDMI black level: auto or low

With these settings I can't tell in normal windows if I am in game mode (no 4-4-4) or PC mode (4-4-4). I can only tell on the special test images.

If the screen is too bright you can lower contrast or back-light. Lowering back-light will increase PWM so I would go with contrast first. 90 works for me but could be too high for some. Note this screen has very vivid colors so might take a few to get used to it. Don't neuter it right away. Give it an hour for you to adjust to the visual feast.

I also set the picture options->color tone to standard. Standard is a little on the blue side. I like that but if you want more natural whites you might prefer warm1 setting

Last edited:
Got 'er all hooked up. I'm in love!!!

My 980's actually doing a better job than I thought it would. It holds 60 FPS solid in BF4 with no AA. 2x AA drops it down in the 45-55 range.

I've still gotta tweak the brightness, backlight levels, but this is definitely a keeper! Input Lag is perfectly fine for me. It's about as fast as my Z30i as far as pixel response, just bit slower.
Good enough for my eyes. I'm SO glad I did not get the 48 - the 40 is absolutely perfect. Any bigger would not have worked for me.
Anybody on the fence, JUST DO IT!

Nice Brahmzy, looks great!

The 48 is smaller at 3ft than the 40 at 2ft. Angles for width in deg subtended by 40 @ 2, 48 @ 3:

ATan(40/Sqrt(9^2+16^2)*16/2/24)*2
Ans = 71.982779326

ATan(48/Sqrt(9^2+16^2)*16/2/36)*2
Ans = 60.317489725

------

Thanks for this, it's something that the people who have simulated cut-outs saw right away.

Basically the 48" cut-out shrank down to the 40" cut-out once you moved it around a foot further away. Which is why the desk size you're working with is so important.

You'll also want the dimensions of the actual screen:

48/Sqrt(9^2+16^2)*16
Ans = 41.835625782
48/Sqrt(9^2+16^2)*9
Ans = 23.532539502

40/Sqrt(9^2+16^2)*16
Ans = 34.863021485
40/Sqrt(9^2+16^2)*9
Ans = 19.610449585

Thanks for this, it's something that the people who have simulated cut-outs saw right away.

Basically the 48" cut-out shrank down to the 40" cut-out once you moved it around a foot further away. Which is why the desk size you're working with is so important.

All true. I can take the 48 inch monitor and adjust to perfect size by moving it further away as needed. With 40 I am stuck at using it at 2 feet since dpi will be too small at anything more distant

I also use this TV to watch movies over my computer and I do that from even longer distance of more like 10-15 feet (bed). Then 48 inch is clearly superior.

So is this thing going to look noticeably worse than your typical PC monitor if your card isn't 4:4:4 capable?

So is this thing going to look noticeably worse than your typical PC monitor if your card isn't 4:4:4 capable?

It'll be better in some, worse in another. 4k is enough resolution that it's not going to be obvious unless you look for it with exception of atypical color patterns/texts.

Thanks a ton for specs! Man... I want that 48... I wonder if it will work from 26"s away. I also need to find a good way to move the screen up and down about a foot or so. Going to use in bedroom as a desk, but move up when the little lady n I want to watch a movie from bed... Most seem to be a pain to adjust. I need to hunt for a good one touch adjustment... hmmm

In PC mode:

Contrast: 90 (higher then 90 the upper end gets crushed on this test http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php)
Brightness: 60 (higher starts to wash out blacks, lower the blacks are getting crushed, use this test to adjust: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php with 60 I can see box 5)
HDMI black level: auto or low (do not set to normal as it completely washes out blacks)

Sharpness: 0 (50 looks absolutely horrible. 0 looks identical to 50 in PC mode).

With these settings I can't tell in normal windows if I am in game mode (no 4-4-4) or PC mode (4-4-4). I can only tell on the special test images.

If the screen is too bright you can lower contrast or back-light. Lowering back-light will increase PWM so I would go with contrast first. 90 works for me but could be too high for some. Note this screen has very vivid colors so might take a few to get used to it. Don't neuter it right away. Give it an hour for you to adjust to the visual feast.

I also set the picture options->color tone to standard. Standard is a little on the blue side. I like that but if you want more natural whites you might prefer warm1 setting

Thanks for this Ziran, bookmarked.

In PC mode:

This is good but I like the cool setting. Also I don't have access to the HDMI Black Level setting, even in Game Mode when the UHD mode is on. It's greyed out.

I find your settings to be too bright in general. But it's a good starting point. Maybe if we could bring the backlight down a bit it would be better. I have a Spyder 3 and am going to fool around with it over the next few days.

Also, I watched the first 2 episodes of Daredevil in 4k and it looks great. Almost as good as the best Blu-Rays. Definitely worth it just for this show. I turned the Motion Compensation shit down to 2 and that makes a big difference. Not so much of a soap-opera effect now.

Last edited:

Maybe, maybe not.

If you would use Windows at 200% scaling, then it does not matter if it is 4:4:4 I think, because if you look at the test image with colored text 200%, it will look properly like it does when 4:4:4 is working, so it should look OK in whole Windows.

But I guess you will use Windows at 100%, so 4:4:4 is preferred.

In PC mode:

HDMI black level is grayed out in PC mode. I'm curious has anyone noticed the affect of PWM? 20 blacklight and 60 brightness will tire your eyes out worse than any PWM. Too bright a monitor will actually make your eyes tired, the opposite of the effect you're trying to avoid.

In any case, I just got my 40". I was surprised to see text looking not as good and was going to return it and keep the 48" until I realized that the input reset itself after a firmware update (2006 is out btw). Switching to PC mode and UHD, the desktop looks as good as the 48" now. I'm happy. You can tell as how much sharper and smoother reading is on UHD PC Mode versus off. The video processing is great for games and motion videos, but it's terrible on text.

40" is still pretty damn big, but 48" is just BIG. I don't think I can go any bigger without moving back, which is just another method of shrinking the screen. Why not just start with a smaller screen? I'm happy with the 40".

Again, no dead pixels. I think Samsung quality control is great. As a matter of fact, the only monitor that I had to return for dead pixels was an Acer.

Also, I watched the first 2 episodes of Daredevil in 4k and it looks great. Almost as good as the best Blu-Rays. Definitely worth it just for this show. I turned the Motion Compensation shit down to 2 and that makes a big difference. Not so much of a soap-opera effect now.

The funny thing about "soap-opera effect" is you can adjust to it. Ever since I got my F8500, I left it on standard. It was weird at the beginning, but now my brain has totally adjusted to it. I don't see the effect anymore. Whenever I watch a show without interpolation on, I can "see" the jerky motion of 24P. It's terrible. Just goes to show, what's "weird" is based on what your brain perceives as abnormal. Once you adjust to interpolation, it's a pretty amazing. YMMV.

It doesn't matter much for the 6700 because it doesn't support 24p (so I've been told, but I can output PC at that refresh rate). At any rate Netflix is forced 60p anyways.

So Monoprice is really dropping the ball on their 18GBPs Redmere Ultra Thin HDMI cables. I ordered a 6' from Amazon and it is dropping out constantly (about every 3-4 minutes when playing games). I swapped it out with an old FAT Monoprice 'high-speed' HDMI cable I had and have had no more issues. I'm going to call MP on Monday and tell them all of the woes we're having with their cables.

This is the cable that doesn't work:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFSP070/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I spoke to soon. The right side of my screen has a hair line fracture. It was right under the tapes. With so many defects coming from Crutchfield, I don't think I am going to order from them again.

I spoke to soon. The right side of my screen has a hair line fracture. It was right under the tapes. With so many defects coming from Crutchfield, I don't think I am going to order from them again.

bummer man. the box on yours looked fine as well I take it? I think more than anything this is Samsung's fault for not packing the curved tvs well enough or designing them to be sturdy enough.

mine is boxed up and ready to be sent back today. going to drop it by the UPS store on my way home from work.

The handfuls and handfuls of HDMI cables Google Fiber gave me, at least 8 or 10 cables 3' to 8' work perfectly. Even the 8' did. Currently using a 3'. Some geek at Google is doing their job very well.

bummer man. the box on yours looked fine as well I take it? I think more than anything this is Samsung's fault for not packing the curved tvs well enough or designing them to be sturdy enough.

mine is boxed up and ready to be sent back today. going to drop it by the UPS store on my way home from work.

When I unboxed my 6700 48", there was the main styrofoam bottom, top, and a piece that sit in from of the screen. On the 6700 40" there was the bottom and top styrofoam, but nothing in front of the screen. Now, it could be the shop that I picked up both of them from forgot to put the middle piece back after they inspected the screen before putting it into my vehicle (they open all TVs up in the warehouse to inspect first).

What are others finding? I wonder if this might be an issue.

It does have 200x200 vesa compatibility, its just that no current arms have the appropriate adapter kit. I suspect that will be remedied shortly. I'm still waiting to hear back from Ergotron about how I can get it working though.

What the hell? Where did I read that it was a 400x400? I see on Samsung's site that the 6700 and 7500 both use 200x200. Weird.

Anyway, I got the Ergotron LX and this mounting adapter:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082805&p_id=3402&seq=1&format=2

Works great. Now I just need a monitor to hang on it. :\

I actually prefer the HDMI black level set to Normal instead of Low/Auto. I adjust out the blacks much better myself. Problem is that setting freaking resets to Auto every time power is cycled on the TV. ARGH! Dammit Samsung. Fix your firmware. It's done this on both firmware versions.

Last edited:
Frys have a no sales tax promo on these Samsung if anyone interested. Much easier than buying through Crutchfield.

Mine came from Crutchfield no problem. I'd blame the packaging or the carrier, not the retailer. The things ship in their original boxes - Crutchfield doesn't really impact that.

What the hell? Where did I read that it was a 400x400? I see on Samsung's site that the 6700 and 7500 both use 200x200. Weird.

Anyway, I got the Ergotron LX and this mounting adapter:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082805&p_id=3402&seq=1&format=2

Works great. Now I just need a monitor to hang on it. :\

Its not the VESA adapter you need, if you look at my post history in this thread I uploaded some pics. The problem is the holes are not flush - top two vesa holes are, bottom two are sunken down. I've spoken with Ergotron about this and they said it is incompatible.

Replacement 48" came. It's perfect. Thanks to everyone in this thread for the valuable info!

teiLwQl.jpg

v047JxIh.jpg

Bb4us3jh.jpg

Awesome @praxis219

If you can buy locally do so. Sometimes saving on the sales tax isn't worth the wait and possible damage to your stuff.

Hi all,

I posted a week or so ago that I was getting a new Sammy 65" JU7500 as a PC (gaming) monitor.

Well, I got it today! One of you wanted pics, but unfortunately that isn't going to happen yet.

The TV was broken.

The delivery guys said there was some damage to the box. When they got it out of the truck, it looked as though a forklift had torn through the left side of the box. It was pretty nasty.

Anyway, they brought it in and we unpacked it to see how bad the damage was. To my surprise (and this has happened to a few of you as well), the side where the package was damaged seemed ok, but the other side had what looked like a blob of melted plastic on the panel.

After refusing shipment, I called Abt Electronics CS and told them what happened. The guy said I had to file a claim with their shipping department since this was obviously damage done during shipment - the plastic blob occurs if the screen is damaged from the inside by bending. I asked what was involved with filing a claim, and he said he would look into it for me and call back in about 15-20 minutes.

2 hours later, I hadn't heard back from them (big effing shock, huh?), so I called back and a nice young lady told me the same thing, but that the shipping claim guy had gone home for the weekend.

This sucks. I should have just gone to Best Buy and sucked up the taxes...

I'll let you guys know what happens. These two GTX 970s are sitting on my dresser losing value by the second... Ugh...

Thanks to Cyph's heads up earlier, I popped in to Fry's and bought a no-tax 48JU6700. :D

And of course I have no GPU in house at the moment that can drive 4k, lol. I haven't powered the display up yet but it looks ok in terms of damage, no visible issues. 30 day return policy, had the manager verify it, so I'll be able to make sure it fits my needs.

A loaner GTX 980 will be here Monday as I wait for the Titan X SC to come back into stock at newegg or evga, will post pics once I get it all rolling.

Looked fantastic running the Samsung 4k demo in the store for what it's worth. They also had the 105" IPS LG 21:9 unit on display, with a price tag of $99,999. Looked good but even at 105" 21:9 looked strange, the $40,000 Samsung 98" unit they had next to the LG looked better (16:9).

IjmR4Gg.jpg

Last edited:
Back