New Samsung 4k for everyone.

Unfortunately my desk isn't that wide. I have my 48" pushed back as far as it can go (it's even hanging over the edge). I'm afraid to push it back much more. That's why I'm beginning to think the 40" might be better for my desk.

Unfortunately my desk isn't that wide. I have my 48" pushed back as far as it can go (it's even hanging over the edge). I'm afraid to push it back much more. That's why I'm beginning to think the 40" might be better for my desk.

I think a normal desk depth is around 28", giving people the ~3ft range between display and seating position. Desktop clamp mounts, if there's room, are plenty rigid. Wall-mount, easier to find for large displays, are also strong when mounted correctly (into studs).

Would you be so kind to do the same tests in game mode? The sharpness needs to be a t 0 in game mode. I imagine that the upscaling your seeing is not in use in game mode and the difference will be much larger I think.

Let us know what you think!

Alright, coolhandm3, just for you. :D

Game Mode 1080P:
image.jpg

Game Mode (Dragon Age) 1080P:
image.jpg

To be perfectly honest, with the limited palette in video games, there's not much difference except the settings are different as dynamic contrast, etc. are unlocked. With the ability to adjust my picture with game mode, I actually prefer it for my games over PC mode. My blacks are adjusted to be more black, whites more white, colors more saturated and intense, the way I like my games to be. This is of course a personal preference, some may prefer a more natural lay back non processed look. You'll have to turn it all off yourself. If I needed the low input lag, I wouldn't hesitate to turn on game mode.

If you're running out of options and you still feel that the 48" is too big, and you feel that packing it up and sending it back is doable for you, I would just return it and get the 40". I promise you'll love it. Honestly from your posts it feels like you are trying to fit a size 12 foot into a size 10 shoe...trying to make it work because it's easier to keep the shoes that you already have...but even if you can jam your foot in there, will it be the best comfortable long term solution?

2 x 970's for $600 is the best possible config for 4k in terms of cost and performance.

I get 60fps at 4K with high settings with BF4

You must be tall :cool: : my eye level is 18" from the desk, it would be thus full 5" below the monitor top bezel and this makes huge difference. My coming 32" Benq will have the top screen edge at my eye level.

I guess its different desire for height, too. My eyes are level with the bezel but I don't want it that way, I can see stuff over the monitor. For immersion reasons if nothing else I'd like my display 3-4" higher, which is why I'm trying to get my Ergotron arm working with it. I have to very noticeably angle my vision down to see the entire display, I'd much rather look at the center of the screen (or at least closer to center than currently) than the top.

Also worth mentioning my chair is 19" off the floor in its lowest mode. If I sat lower and wanted to increase my viewing height by 5" I could do that with my current chair.

If you're running out of options and you still feel that the 48" is too big, and you feel that packing it up and sending it back is doable for you, I would just return it and get the 40". I promise you'll love it. Honestly from your posts it feels like you are trying to fit a size 12 foot into a size 10 shoe...trying to make it work because it's easier to keep the shoes that you already have...but even if you can jam your foot in there, will it be the best comfortable long term solution?

I agree. Return the 48." I have a crick in the neck already using it for programming and surfing the web. I didn't realize how often I stare at the top of the monitor as reading and typing almost always start at the top. Playing games on it is awesome though. :D

This might be interesting to people who wanted to look at the display in a store before buying it. Bestbuy now has the UN40JU6500 in stock now. (available for local pickup today in my area).

I agree. Return the 48." I have a crick in the neck already using it for programming and surfing the web. I didn't realize how often I stare at the top of the monitor as reading and typing almost always start at the top. Playing games on it is awesome though. :D

I would simply move the windows to avoid that. Fortunately I don't have that problem. I sit high enough that it isn't usually an issue. Though I do move windows I'm actively working with lower on the screen. I had that habbit with my 30's.

This might be interesting to people who wanted to look at the display in a store before buying it. Bestbuy now has the UN40JU6500 in stock now. (available for local pickup today in my area).

Fry's Electronics in Irving has both the JU6700 48" and the JU6500 40". (Curved 48" and flat 40" I believe.)

Alright, coolhandm3, just for you. :D

Game Mode 1080P:
image.jpg

Game Mode (Dragon Age) 1080P:
image.jpg

To be perfectly honest, with the limited palette in video games, there's not much difference except the settings are different as dynamic contrast, etc. are unlocked. With the ability to adjust my picture with game mode, I actually prefer it for my games over PC mode. My blacks are adjusted to be more black, whites more white, colors more saturated and intense, the way I like my games to be. This is of course a personal preference, some may prefer a more natural lay back non processed look. You'll have to turn it all off yourself. If I needed the low input lag, I wouldn't hesitate to turn on game mode.

Thank you very much! Still looks great for games in 1080p!

in fact all my games run pretty damn good at 4k. I was expecting herky jerkyness

The whole needing quad titans to run 4k thing is so overblown. I can run majority of games just fine on just a Tri-X 290, assuming they're not the latest and greatest. I can get 15-30 FPS in Star Citizen, which means everything else I can get 30-60. I don't know if I'm just showing my age, but I remember being shocked and awed if I could get 45-60 FPS with the latest and greatest GPU when I doing "demo demo001". The whole 144hz zomg 500fps thing is so foreign to me.

You sure it isn't desk height difference? My keyboard and mouse are on the desktop, at 28" above the carpet. My eyes are 25" above the desktop. The 25" gives me a perfect 90 degree angle at my elbows. I currently have my 30" on a triple monitor stand, at the top bezel lines up with my eyes. The 40" top bezel will also line up with my eyes, if it is resting on the desk with its factory stand.

Unless a person has a longer torso (taller people often have longer legs), there shouldn't be too much height difference. 9" would be an extreme difference, even for a 1-foot height difference.

FWIW maybe it is a taller person thing. I'm 6'2" and my office setup is as follows:
- desktop is 36" high (it's a built-in countertop height desk in a bonus room)
- chair seat is 26" high (it's a pedestal Steelcase chair)
- very close to 90 degree angle elbow
- eyes are 24" above the desktop
- monitor top is 25.5" above the desktop
- monitor is approximately 2' away

40" monitor (Seiki) , it's just about perfect in terms of size, imagine the Samsung would be very similar. 48" seems like it would be too large but it's quite probable it requires only an adjustment period before seeming normal.

The whole needing quad titans to run 4k thing is so overblown. I can run majority of games just fine on just a Tri-X 290, assuming they're not the latest and greatest. I can get 15-30 FPS in Star Citizen, which means everything else I can get 30-60. I don't know if I'm just showing my age, but I remember being shocked and awed if I could get 45-60 FPS with the latest and greatest GPU when I doing "demo demo001". The whole 144hz zomg 500fps thing is so foreign to me.

It's the perceived edge, created by a team of marketers. I remember when 60fps was the holy grail. Back then, getting 60FPS at 1080P was difficult. Now, as video cards have gotten more powerful, 60FPS is easy to reach. So how do they sell ever more powerful video cards and monitors? Above 120hz monitors, Gsync, 1440P, 4K, etc. They want gamers to believe it gives them an edge.

However, Xbox and PS4 players are playing on sub 60FPS game system and high input LCD TV's and they have crazy kill death ratio. Just go on Youtube and you'll see guys with superb skills, playing on sub 60fps system and TV's. Skill and reflex is what makes a great player, not the gear.

Don't get me wrong, there are subtle improvements, but 800 for a GSYNC monitor at 144hz and 27"? Haha. Won't make a crap player good. That's a lot of money to pay for subtle differences. 40-48", 4K, awesome clarity, now there is nothing subtle about it. The differences is huge and in your face. You don't need high-speed camera or oscilloscope to measure how much better this "TV" is than a gaming monitor.

Try rotating your eyeballs or just your head (the socket at the very top), instead of middle of your neck. Also remember to straighten and square your shoulders instead of the nerd-hunch that trends to develop from a small low display.

I've been working on posture myself lately and it does wonders for breathing which translates into general health. I used to have the not atypical vulture/t-rex desk manner which definitely constricts the airways and affects quality of life.

My doctor told me years ago it was perfectly fine and actually encouraged to move your neck around at at desk setting. th is helps to re-focus your eyes and keep your neck limber though out your desk session. This can easily be done on a larger display.

Try rotating your eyeballs or just your head (the socket at the very top), instead of middle of your neck. Also remember to straighten and square your shoulders instead of the nerd-hunch that trends to develop from a small low display.
I've been working on posture myself lately and it does wonders for breathing which translates into general health. I used to have the not atypical vulture/t-rex desk manner which definitely constricts the airways and affects quality of life.

It is better to avoid any risk which may result in chronic neck/back problems.

My doctor told me years ago it was perfectly fine and actually encouraged to move your neck around at at desk setting. th is helps to re-focus your eyes and keep your neck limber though out your desk session. This can easily be done on a larger display.

You lost me at Doctor

Yeah, I'm probably going to return the 48". I'll hang on to it for a couple of months tho and hopefully I'll be able to get a better deal on the 40" by that time if I decide to return it. That's why I went with Crutchfield.

Got 'er all hooked up. I'm in love!!!

bdm6ja.jpg

nb7ssp.jpg

My 980's actually doing a better job than I thought it would. It holds 60 FPS solid in BF4 with no AA. 2x AA drops it down in the 45-55 range.

I've still gotta tweak the brightness, backlight levels, but this is definitely a keeper! Input Lag is perfectly fine for me. It's about as fast as my Z30i as far as pixel response, just bit slower.
Good enough for my eyes. I'm SO glad I did not get the 48 - the 40 is absolutely perfect. Any bigger would not have worked for me.
Anybody on the fence, JUST DO IT!

Oh, and 1080p is a no-go. Looks like jagged garbage top my eyes - YMMV.

Last edited:
Brahmzy, is that a 40 or 48?

After going back and forth for the last week, I just pulled the trigger on the 48" 6700 :D

Oh Just a heads up. Once you go 4K ... you never go back to 1080p. It's like dating Paris Hilton and her slutting all over you for months then going back to Hustlers and Lotion.

My 980's actually doing a better job than I thought it would. It holds 60 FPS solid in BF4 with no AA. 2x AA drops it down in the 45-55 range.

I've still gotta tweak the brightness, backlight levels, but this is definitely a keeper! Input Lag is perfectly fine for me. It's about as fast as my Z30i as far as pixel response, just bit slower.
Good enough for my eyes. I'm SO glad I did not get the 48 - the 40 is absolutely perfect. Any bigger would not have worked for me.

That looks great. is it big enough that you don't have to use display scaling?

The 48 is smaller at 3ft than the 40 at 2ft. Angles for width in deg subtended by 40 @ 2, 48 @ 3:

ATan(40/Sqrt(9^2+16^2)*16/2/24)*2
Ans = 71.982779326

ATan(48/Sqrt(9^2+16^2)*16/2/36)*2
Ans = 60.317489725

------

> It is better to avoid any risk which may result in chronic neck/back problems.

It's far better to have decent posture in the first place than poor form which may or may not be made worse by any little thing.

I mean, is using the eyes to look up really that difficult?

Congrats! The color and clarity just pops compared to my previous monitors. The whites at 9 back light is still white, and the black is very nice. I wonder if it's the semi-gloss panel vs matte or if there is some other secret sauce that Samsung uses?

You need AA at 1080P. Did you turn off GPU scaling? 1080P is no match for 4K on 40", but it's definitely not a jagged mess. Then again, I'm still a Nvidia six series peasant... a few more months until 980Ti/390x master race.

Clouding? WTH are you talking about exactly? I normally aim away from my screen right before I skeet.

That looks great. is it big enough that you don't have to use display scaling?

I was using 125% scaling on my 30", so yeah, I'm using it on this. Gotta love nearsightedness. That's definitely a user-specific thing, and I'd have to use it on a 48" too. I have to use it on my 70" @ 10ft too, lol.

1080p on a 48 4k tv would be fine at normal tv sitting distances... if your sitting 3ft away from the 48 I think the 1080p would be more of an issue.

I cant wait to try out this tv next week... probably will just be doing console gaming on it as the pc I have just wont be able to push games to 4k...

Use it as a side monitor if you have another PC or laptop.
Take it and use it at work if it would help your productivity there.
Sell it.
Give it away.
I've done the first 3 out of 4, lol. :)
I have my 4 30" 3014 sold one and have 3 more to unload myself. They tend to go slightly new / used from $600-$800 depending. On ebay they sell them without a warranty for about $900 and new they go for $1099-$1499 you just need to be patient. I am in the process of craigslisting them myself as I hate Ebays 15%

I ......
Also, $5k? The 48" JS9000 quantum dot set is $3500 but you could probably find it for less. :p
I found the JS9000 55" for about 4k I wanted the 9500 but they only make it in 65" the JS models are better as they are 4:4:4 in every mode (game mode / PC Mode) also I like the silver finish.

I was using 125% scaling on my 30", so yeah, I'm using it on this. Gotta love nearsightedness. That's definitely a user-specific thing, and I'd have to use it on a 48" too. I have to use it on my 70" @ 10ft too, lol.
I think I have the same scaling now when the Samsung comes in I need to find which mount is the best. There were some good deals at a Radio Shack closeout so I figured I would buy all of them and return (as long as they stay open) the ones that dont work.

The only... and I mean ONLY thing I hate about these threads is having to look something up with this many pages. Gotta find actual view-able screen measurements for a cutout. I am coming from a westy 37w3.... yep the legendary westy might get retired ; )

Got may handy measuring tape out. I think I will be between 26" and 32 from the screen... I could just pull my desk out and mount it on the wall... Gotta love ikea jerkers ; )

Ok... I may be a total idiot but I could not find the exact measurements on this tv. I did search my measurement, size, inches." " " If you get what I mean lol. I am trying to make a cutout to see the real size. If someone can help... that would be AWESOME : )

Looking for some help here. Currently I have 2 of my older Dell u3011's flanking my 6700 48" in portrait mode. I like the usability and I definitely want to have 3 displays on my desk. The problem with the u3011's is that they generate too much heat (the original reason why I was looking to replace them).

I'm looking for suggestions on monitors to put into portrait on either side of my glorious 48" 6700. I know there is no way to match the resolution, but my goals are to have as much screen real estate and stay close to the vertical height of the Samsung (with stand). If I could split a 2nd 48" 6700 in half and slap them on either side I would be set! At this point only interested in keeping the Samsung front and center.

I've been looking at the Dell U2715H - I like the slim bezel, overall resolution and the DP connectivity. I don't like the price. I also was looking at the S2715H, but not sure about dropping down in resolution.

I am looking for out of the box thinking.

Any help/suggestions would welcome!

Back