New Samsung 4k for everyone.

How do you get game mode? I can't seem to do it. It's greyed out and when I try to pick it it says it's not available.

Also, I can set a resolution of 4096x2160@60Hz but the colorspace is a bit screwed up. You can tell because the text doesn't look quite right.

Last edited:
Ok so I have been reading the last few pages and it seems people have found out that the JU line does not support 4:4:4 in game mode, but it does in PC mode with higher input lag.

And somebody mentioned that the JS line, is a superior line which does support 4:4:4 in game mode, so basically high quality colour on the lowest input lag.

Is anyone able to confirm all this. If this is the case, then I am definatly not going to look at the JU series, but will check out the JS series.

Ok so I have been reading the last few pages and it seems people have found out that the JU line does not support 4:4:4 in game mode, but it does in PC mode with higher input lag.

And somebody mentioned that the JS line, is a superior line which does support 4:4:4 in game mode, so basically high quality colour on the lowest input lag.

Is anyone able to confirm all this. If this is the case, then I am definatly not going to look at the JU series, but will check out the JS series.

I'm using it on my Titan right now in 4:2:0 and it looks very good. It's quite usable and I don't think it's worth the $2000+ price difference between displays.

I'm using it on my Titan right now in 4:2:0 and it looks very good. It's quite usable and I don't think it's worth the $2000+ price difference between displays.

+1. Someone would really pay $2,350 more in order to have 4:4:4 in Game mode? Just to reduce lag a bit while retaining the excellent image quality that the JU series is capable of anyway? Lol. Hey, it's your money, not mine.

wait, I though the Titan does support 4:4:4 or is it the Titan X?

X.

Preface:
I received my 48" JU6700 from Crutchfield via UPS today. After turning it on, I realized that the left side was cracked :eek: The damage was not apparent since the outside packaging looked undamaged, and I thought the warping was due to a plastic film on the screen. Nope, it was basically the screen bulging out :(

Props to Crutchfield :) My call to their 1-800 number was answered within 2 rings. The rep was very apologetic, and within 2 minutes a replacement was set to be shipped out tonight and I was e-mailed a return shipping label. Absolutely stellar customer service, actually better than Amazon. I order maybe 80 times a year from Amazon, so I've had some interaction with their customer service people over the years. Crutchfield felt like I was dealing with a small business that wanted to make people happy. Thumbs up from me!

First off, a big thanks to the person who started this thread. Originally I was looking at a LG 34" Ultrawide, but was disappointed at how puny it seemed once I saw it at Fry's. I then had a the Philips 40" panel on order, but saw that it had quality issues so I canceled that order. Finally I found this thread and thanks to you guys was confident in placing an order.

Impressions
The elephant in the room for me was the size -- do I go with a 40" or 48"? Well, I'm glad to say that the 48" curved version is perfect for me. I sit about 2 to 4ft away from the screen (it depends on what I'm doing). My desk is height adjustable so my eye is a bit above midline. Whoever said that this screen is like having your personal IMAX theater or feels futuristic is absolutely right. The curve makes a big difference in my opinion. So after checking out the different sizes at Fry's I would say this: the 40" feels like just a another monitor, while the 48" feels like it gives you an "experience".

One of the things I hate is getting a high resolution monitor and having to use scaling to enlarge text. I am happy to say that with the 48" version I left Windows at 100% font scaling and it's perfectly readable. I always thought that the text on my 27" 1440p was a bit too small for my tastes at 100% font scaling.

After turning the TV on, the poor thing started rebooting itself randomly, but eventually settled down. It was hard to see what I was doing with the menu at times because, well, a portion of the left side screen was not working :) The TV again locked up after I set the input name to PC and then rebooted itself.... lol. Eventually things worked, and I was able to get the 4k @ 60hz with 4:4:4 on my GTX 980.

First World Problems
I can safely say that outside of the Oculus Rift, this is #2 in my "wow" PC peripheral moments. I was really sad at having to pack this thing up after using it for a couple of hours. Even in its damaged state (random dead rows of pixels and weird coloration artifacts due to the damage), this thing is amazing. I just have to wait a few more days for a replacement, and then I'll be in PC heaven again...

HV9wZJy.jpg

wait, I though the Titan does support 4:4:4 or is it the Titan X?

They both do, at the resolutions they were designed for.
ie the bandwidth of the connection determines what can be supported at 60Hz.

HDMI 1.x can support 4:4:4 at 1080p 60Hz+, 4:2:0 at 4K 60Hz,
HDMI 2.x can support 4:4:4 at 4K 60Hz.

How do you get game mode? I can't seem to do it. It's greyed out and when I try to pick it it says it's not available.

Also, I can set a resolution of 4096x2160@60Hz but the colorspace is a bit screwed up. You can tell because the text doesn't look quite right.

Here's what I found on the JS, not sure if it would translate to the JU, but worth a shot. If you rename your HDMI port on the TV to PC or chose PC as a device, it won't let you enable game mode. You have to pick something else.

Also, a quick question for anyone that may know the answer as I haven't been following the 4k revolution until now. Why is 4096x2160 an available resolution on these TV's? If 3840x2160 is native, wouldn't 4096x2160 produce a scaled resolution and would also mess with the aspect ratio? If anyone can explain that in laymans terms, I would appreciate it.

Preface:
I received my 48" JU6700 from Crutchfield via UPS today. After turning it on, I realized that the left side was cracked :eek: The damage was not apparent since the outside packaging looked undamaged, and I thought the warping was due to a plastic film on the screen. Nope, it was basically the screen bulging out :(

Props to Crutchfield :) My call to their 1-800 number was answered within 2 rings. The rep was very apologetic, and within 2 minutes a replacement was set to be shipped out tonight and I was e-mailed a return shipping label. Absolutely stellar customer service, actually better than Amazon. I order maybe 80 times a year from Amazon, so I've had some interaction with their customer service people over the years. Crutchfield felt like I was dealing with a small business that wanted to make people happy. Thumbs up from me!

First off, a big thanks to the person who started this thread. Originally I was looking at a LG 34" Ultrawide, but was disappointed at how puny it seemed once I saw it at Fry's. I then had a the Philips 40" panel on order, but saw that it had quality issues so I canceled that order. Finally I found this thread and thanks to you guys was confident in placing an order.

Impressions
The elephant in the room for me was the size -- do I go with a 40" or 48"? Well, I'm glad to say that the 48" curved version is perfect for me. I sit about 2 to 4ft away from the screen (it depends on what I'm doing). My desk is height adjustable so my eye is a bit above midline. Whoever said that this screen is like having your personal IMAX theater or feels futuristic is absolutely right. The curve makes a big difference in my opinion. So after checking out the different sizes at Fry's I would say this: the 40" feels like just a another monitor, while the 48" feels like it gives you an "experience".

One of the things I hate is getting a high resolution monitor and having to use scaling to enlarge text. I am happy to say that with the 48" version I left Windows at 100% font scaling and it's perfectly readable. I always thought that the text on my 27" 1440p was a bit too small for my tastes at 100% font scaling.

After turning the TV on, the poor thing started rebooting itself randomly, but eventually settled down. It was hard to see what I was doing with the menu at times because, well, a portion of the left side screen was not working :) The TV again locked up after I set the input name to PC and then rebooted itself.... lol. Eventually things worked, and I was able to get the 4k @ 60hz with 4:4:4 on my GTX 980.

First World Problems
I can safely say that outside of the Oculus Rift, this is #2 in my "wow" PC peripheral moments. I was really sad at having to pack this thing up after using it for a couple of hours. Even in its damaged state (random dead rows of pixels and weird coloration artifacts due to the damage), this thing is amazing. I just have to wait a few more days for a replacement, and then I'll be in PC heaven again...[/IMG]

Awesome write up praxis, painful to see it in that state haha. Congrats.

Agree on your "34-inch widescreen is puny" thought, after seeing two of the new Samsungs at BB today, close to the 34" displays they had, it's just not an option to go below 40" anymore. That whole size category is obsolete now due to the smallish size...the only compelling reason you'd possibly opt for a 34" is for G-Sync/Freesync at 144Hz. And for me, that slightly more smooth gameplay isn't worth giving up the size or 4k rez on the desktop.

Really the lag and the sizes just aren't worth commenting on further in terms of their being a deal-breaker or not (now that we know the lag ms numbers on the Samsung of course).

Just too personal, too individual. I was a top-25 CS player, in the world, back in 2001, on a then way-too-soon LCD that had 100ms+ of lag. It was awful, but not the game-changer, for me personally, that others are making it out to be.

Needless to say, it's all relative, and to each their own.

There's far more arbitrary lag to online games, and even offline in the code than the 10-20ms brandied about.

To the poster above, this is basically the first gen of practical 4k displays. Before the Nvidia 970/80 full chroma 4k was only possible over DisplayPort and only the panasonic 2014 model had it. Even after those cards were released LG would have minor issues and 2014 Samsung had mainboard crapshoot/lottery for chroma.

The only problem these 2015 models might have is low backlight PWM freq. The 7500 (240hz?) might be slightly better here if 6700 120hz causes undue eye strain. Hopefully someone with a 7500 can do a PWM freq test.

Awesome write up praxis, painful to see it in that state haha. Congrats.

Agree on your "34-inch widescreen is puny" thought, after seeing two of the new Samsungs at BB today, close to the 34" displays they had, it's just not an option to go below 40" anymore. That whole size category is obsolete now due to the smallish size...the only compelling reason you'd possibly opt for a 34" is for G-Sync/Freesync at 144Hz. And for me, that slightly more smooth gameplay isn't worth giving up the size or 4k rez on the desktop.

Thank you! The other impressions and reviews by you guys have really helped me in making this purchasing decision, so I wanted to contribute back.

I agree, one of my monitors is a Samsung S27A950D (one of the first 120hz gaming LCDs), and this 4K 48" TV/monitor is on another level. I will never go back to anything smaller or non-curved :)

Preface:

Agreed 100%; I've ordered car audio from them several times before and they are tops in support and customer service. Just an outstanding company to deal with.

praxis219 said:
So after checking out the different sizes at Fry's I would say this: the 40" feels like just a another monitor

Strongly disagree there, but it's subjective. I think that's doing a disservice to the 40" which, while not quite IMAX-like, is still very, very impressive from 2' which is a very common distance. And realistically, it's still larger than what 99% of the computing populace thinks is a reasonable size, haha.

Anyone coming from a 27-32" monitor, which is probably most people here, is going to be very impressed with even the 40" IMO.

I'll be able to compare the 40" and 48" directly when my 48" gets here tomorrow. Hopefully it arrives in better shape than yours! :eek:

praxis219 said:

I almost bit on the 32" BenQ 4K monitor a few months ago. Very very glad I didn't. I love that text is readable at 100%/no scaling on these.

praxis219 said:
I can safely say that outside of the Oculus Rift, this is #2 in my "wow" PC peripheral moments.

This cannot be overstated. There were a few "wow" moments for me. One was getting the 37" Westy around 10 years ago after having only used smaller monitors prior to that. Another was going from a mechanical boot drive to an SSD. This one also definitely qualifies.

A++

Strongly disagree there, but it's subjective. I think that's doing a disservice to the 40" which, while not quite IMAX-like, is still very, very impressive from 2' which is a very common distance. And realistically, it's still larger than what 99% of the computing populace thinks is a reasonable size, haha.

Anyone coming from a 27-32" monitor, which is probably most people here, is going to be very impressed with even the 40" IMO.

I'll be able to compare the 40" and 48" directly when my 48" gets here tomorrow. Hopefully it arrives in better shape than yours! :eek:

Yep yep, very subjective! I'm sure that the 40" would still look huge on my desk. 48" is my limit though. I was almost about to go crazy and get the 55" but am super glad I didn't :p

Fingers crossed for you that your units arrive unscathed :)

Yep yep, very subjective! I'm sure that the 40" would still look huge on my desk. 48" is my limit though. I was almost about to go crazy and get the 55" but am super glad I didn't :p

Lol, this is [H]ardForum, not oftForum. Get the 65"! :p

55" would be insane from our typical distances, but for someone sitting further back... I guess I can see someone using one from a couch if it's doubling as their TV. Too large for typical usage though, IMO.

praxis219 said:
Fingers crossed for you that your units arrive unscathed :)

Thanks bro! At least if it doesn't, I know I'm in good hands. :)

Wait. The Titan can support 4:4:4 @ 4k/60Hz? Maybe I misunderstood you, but I don't think so. I just tried the test image and I definitely couldn't read the top 2 and bottom 2 lines.

As far as Game Mode goes, wouldn't renaming HDMI1 to something other than PC defeat the purpose?

I tried gaming a bit on the display. It's starting to grow on me. At least I have 2mos to decide whether I want to keep it or go for the 40". For every day use it's not so great. I'm not used to looking up to the top of the screen to select browser tabs.

The only problem these 2015 models might have is low backlight PWM freq. The 7500 (240hz?) might be slightly better here if 6700 120hz causes undue eye strain. Hopefully someone with a 7500 can do a PWM freq test.

Do we have any evidence that points to a higher native refresh bringing a higher PWM freq?
I'd think the 2 are unrelated. If the PWM freq on the 7500 is indeed double that of the 6700, that is reason enough alone for me to exchange my incoming 6700 for a 7500.

Don't think I saw it in the thread yet, but I just did a pixel shape test on my 40ju6500 by drawing a 6 inch square in illustrator and physically measuring it. It was a perfect square when measured, so that should rule out non-square pixels.

I also ordered the 48ju6500 for pickup at Fry's tomorrow...

For some reason my Nvidia drivers don't have the Digital Color Format settings available to me under Adjust Desktop Color settings. Weird.

Wait. The Titan can support 4:4:4 @ 4k/60Hz? Maybe I misunderstood you, but I don't think so. I just tried the test image and I definitely couldn't read the top 2 and bottom 2 lines.

As far as Game Mode goes, wouldn't renaming HDMI1 to something other than PC defeat the purpose?

I tried gaming a bit on the display. It's starting to grow on me. At least I have 2mos to decide whether I want to keep it or go for the 40". For every day use it's not so great. I'm not used to looking up to the top of the screen to select browser tabs.

The Titan X can support 4:4:4 modes while doing 4K@60Hz.

As for browser tabs, I never used browsers full screen once I went to a 30" display. That pretty much solved that for me long ago.

Just got my tracking updates. Thursday for my 980 & Friday for my 6700. :)

Gonna be a fun weekend. Let's hope Mama's honey-do list stays short.

You guys should play Cities Skylines in 4k.

Not only is is a VERY highly rated game . .. it's incredibly addicting. It's just insane and so fun to play.

I can literally see thousands of cars in my city and it's so awesome the detail.

You guys should play Cities Skylines in 4k.

Not only is is a VERY highly rated game . .. it's incredibly addicting. It's just insane and so fun to play.

I can literally see thousands of cars in my city and it's so awesome the detail.

I can't wait. I was glued for two weeks solid. Taking a break until this stuff gets in.

Do we have any evidence that points to a higher native refresh bringing a higher PWM freq?
I'd think the 2 are unrelated. If the PWM freq on the 7500 is indeed double that of the 6700, that is reason enough alone for me to exchange my incoming 6700 for a 7500.

If a set is indeed capable of 240hz, any lower backlight freq would result in some frame not being lit (ie visible).

Of course it's possible that they also lower backlight freq along with panel refresh, but this seems unnecessarily dumb and a ridiculously slow backlight for 24/30hz.

Who's math are you using???

I have been doing the math too, a 27" 1440p and a 40" 4K have very similar PPI, but the height of a 27" portrait is 2560 pixels (60cm), a 40" is 2160 pixels high (50cm). Hardly a perfect height match unless you want your display layout to look like a TIE fighter.

Sigh - it ain't a perfect world...! I would love a pair of screen that I can have on either side of my 48" that would be 2160 pixels high by whatever and have the physical size match. If there is one I'm not aware of, by all means let me know so I can give it a try!

That being said, I really only want the side monitors so that I can go full screen on the Samsung and still have visibility to other stuff be it on the same computer, or a different computer.

Sure do miss the simplicity of layout of a good 20p30w20p setup.

The Titan X can support 4:4:4 modes while doing 4K@60Hz.

As for browser tabs, I never used browsers full screen once I went to a 30" display. That pretty much solved that for me long ago.

+1 to Dan! Be practical people - have your active/most used windows towards the bottom half of the screen on these big ass display! Use the top for less used/important windows. Totally worth it when you start gaming or watching TV/movies in full screen.

The 48" curved is pretty light, only 25lbs without the stand. If I do decide to keep it I'm thinking maybe a desk mount might work to lower it down a bit and give it some extra support (without having to worry about setting it on my desk). The thing is, most desktop mounts that hold up to 30lbs are rated for much smaller displays.

I also have very little space behind my desk. It's pretty much right up against the wall. I need something without a swinging arm.

For those that are going the route of taking the original stand off - what are you using to mount the display to that can lower the screen to the desktop (or monitor shelf in my case)?

Just looking for options.

+1. Someone would really pay $2,350 more in order to have 4:4:4 in Game mode? Just to reduce lag a bit while retaining the excellent image quality that the JU series is capable of anyway? Lol. Hey, it's your money, not mine.

X.

Well I am a serious gamer and a competative gamer online. So input lag is very important to me, but I also enjoy high quality visuals. So 4:4:4 does matter to me @ 4K, hence I am willing to put out the cash for it. Im sure the higher price tag has many other features that make it a better TV or monitor. It couldnt't just be the fact the it can do 4:4:4 in game mode so they decide to slap a $2K premium on it, that would be ludacris.

Well I am a serious gamer and a competative gamer online. So input lag is very important to me, but I also enjoy high quality visuals. So 4:4:4 does matter to me @ 4K, hence I am willing to put out the cash for it. Im sure the higher price tag has many other features that make it a better TV or monitor. It couldnt't just be the fact the it can do 4:4:4 in game mode so they decide to slap a $2K premium on it, that would be ludacris.

If input lag is very important to you then even the SUHD lineup isn't exactly the best option when it comes to that. For competitive online play I'd rather use a near zero input lag + high refresh rate monitor instead and only use the 4k 60Hz for casual gaming.

If input lag is very important to you then even the SUHD lineup isn't exactly the best option when it comes to that. For competitive online play I'd rather use a near zero input lag + high refresh rate monitor instead and only use the 4k 60Hz for casual gaming.

What has near zero input lag? Analog monitor?? 20-30ms input lag is not OK???

Well Im not sure if you listened to my last post, but I did say that visuals are also very important to me. So I want the highest quality visuals, 4K, non TN panels. Hence ~20ms input lag is the highest I am willing to go and the highest visual quality also, currently that seems to be in the JS series as someone mentioned it doing 4:4:4 in game mode. If there is another TV or monitor with equal visuals and <= input lag then let me know.

Well Im not sure if you listened to my last post, but I did say that visuals are also very important to me. So I want the highest quality visuals, 4K, non TN panels. Hence ~20ms input lag is the highest I am willing to go and the highest visual quality also, currently that seems to be in the JS series as someone mentioned it doing 4:4:4 in game mode. If there is another TV or monitor with equal visuals and <= input lag then let me know.

I understand. I want an input lag free display with excellent visuals as well which is why I chose an Acer XB270HU 1440p IPS 144Hz. But for very large displays 40+ inch with superior contrast of a VA panel yes going with a TV is really the only option in that case. Just saying that if input lag is the absolute #1 priority then there are better options.

Did the poster board test...Man the 48 is huge. I love the width, but its so tall. I think my desk is too high, my eyes are below middle of the 48.

Did the poster board test...Man the 48 is huge. I love the width, but its so tall. I think my desk is too high, my eyes are below middle of the 48.

My eyes are exactly center of my 48" I do have my chair kind of high but my desk is only average height I think.

My eyes are exactly center of my 48" I do have my chair kind of high but my desk is only average height I think.

Top of my desk is ~33", either my chair does not go high enough or I'm too short to sit high enough (5'10") for it....I dont want to trim the legs off my custom desk so....40 it is for me I think.

I'm buying the potential Acer Predator later this year to be my fast pace gaming and secondary monitor.
I can't see anyone that absolutely need low input lag and high refresh rates gaming on a 4K TV.

Back