New Samsung 4k for everyone.

So you picked it up today? What you think about it for desktop use?

I'm still tweaking it. I'm playing with the font scaling right now. I think it needs some font scaling, but not much. Aside from that its taking a bit to get used to being at 60Hz again. I had those ROG Swifts at 144Hz long enough to become accustomed to that.

Game mode definitely helps inside games in terms of the input lag. On the desktop I don't like it because it does hurt image quality a bit. The space at 4k is nice though. Also it was very easy to get the monitors colors and brightness settings to something that didn't set my eyes on fire. I'm working on a review right now, so I'll be using Photoshop, doing graphs in excel and all of that. So I'll get a real good feel for it this weekend.

But so far so good. I think this can be made into a workable and very pleasant solution even with its shortcomings. (Refresh rate, lack of G-Sync.) Image quality is what I was hoping for and I love the size. I'm glad I opted for the 48".

So I think the PWM thing will have to be experienced first hand - I'm pretty sensitive to that stuff.
But will my 670 SLi at least show me what to expect with text clarity (444) @ 30hz? (Enough to know if I need to return the thing? I know the cards won't run 4K properly, performance wise or @ 60hz) I wanted to wait to refresh my vid cards with the 980Tis (more VRAM than 980s) but I want / need this display now (Wifes 8yr old 30" blew up 3 weeks ago and she took my 30".).
What is the consensus on the 6700 vs the 7500 and the local dimming/black levels? Has anybody compared the two first hand? I don't care about 3D or any of the TV features as this would strictly be a monitor. I will pay the extry money for the 7500 if the clarity / blacks are significantly better.

So I had some credit at Microcenter, I was in the store today and found out they got 2 of the 50" JU6500's in priced at $999 in today on the truck. This is a full $100 cheaper than ANYONE on the internet and locally so I returned my curved 48". With the credit and savings I was able to get for FREE basically, 2 x GTX 970 OC editions. Not only that, one was opened and looked brand new, the other was new. They accidentally priced matched the new 970 to the same marked downed open box that was $287 I think. They did this because I had a price match on a cable and they price matched the video card as well to the opened box along with the cable.

Win / Win.

Pictures later

You are using the 50" for your desktop? How far away do you sit?

4'.

I've been using a 42" LG for the last 6+ years. It's only 7.5" more so basically not a big deal.

So I think the PWM thing will have to be experienced first hand - I'm pretty sensitive to that stuff.
But will my 670 SLi at least show me what to expect with text clarity (444) @ 30hz? (Enough to know if I need to return the thing? I know the cards won't run 4K properly, performance wise or @ 60hz) I wanted to wait to refresh my vid cards with the 980Tis (more VRAM than 980s) but I want / need this display now (Wifes 8yr old 30" blew up 3 weeks ago and she took my 30".).
What is the consensus on the 6700 vs the 7500 and the local dimming/black levels? Has anybody compared the two first hand? I don't care about 3D or any of the TV features as this would strictly be a monitor. I will pay the extry money for the 7500 if the clarity / blacks are significantly better.

You'll need to test PWN yourself. I take breaks when working or gaming so I can't give feedback on looking at the screen for hours without a break.

I'm not sure of 444 @ 30Hz. Someone else will have to chime in. But I do know 30Hz sucks, and a bad way to experience this monitor. A GTX 960 is an inexpensive stop gap.

I saw the 6700 and 7500 in person. Of course the 7500 had a better picture, but it's hard to tell because the brightness and contrast settings could have been set higher on the 7500.

The blacks and contrast in both monitors are great. IMO, with the 7500, you're paying for the higher refresh rate.

Does the 120hz vs 240hz even matter when in Game or PC mode? All that motion stuff will be disabled I thought. Any chance PWM could be better on the 7500? Ugh. Wish I could see these two side by side.
Did you happen to see if there was any real anti-glare differences between the two?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
21:9 3840x1607 Custom Resolution

OWUkCyl.jpg

Lights Off. Ink Blacks. Looks like I have a Curved 40" 21:9 Monitor.

jxWnByD.jpg

Can you post done pics of your setup with the lights on? Preferably with your kb and mouse? I'm trying to get a visual of how large your 40" is. It seems like you're the only one in this thread with the 40" and I'm still leaning toward it since I can still use my monitor arm on it with an adapter.

I need two 15' cables for my setup (buying two JU6700's), can anyone confirm if this cable will 100% work?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HSWI8I4...lid=3SHZPY21G7BDV&coliid=I1TL7KPXZEXFX3&psc=1
It says rated HDMI 2.0 4k but I would feel better if someone actually tested it. The problem is, I live in Ecuador and have to import EVERYTHING, so I really need to be certain.

Nevermind, you live in one of the sunniest places on Earth and there is plenty of customer reviews on this site saying the cable works fine :D

That looks really fine but when I make simulations the 40" screen comes way too high even if it touches the desk. What is the distance of the upper edge of the screen from the desk in your case?

Height with Stand: 23"
Height w/o Stand: 20 7/8"

My 50" 6500 from 4' is so immersive that when I was watching a 4k Paragliding Video I actually got a slight Roller Coaster effect several times.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a very good desk mount to hold the 40"? I am buying two, so need to be able to adjust the angles appropriately (the mounts will not be centered, but shifted towards the left and right side of the desk, mounted on the rear of the desk).

My understanding is it is a 200x200 VESA mount. I am having trouble finding a 200x200 VESA adjustable desk mounted arm on Amazon that supports 25 pounds.

It may and probably does come down to simple drivers. Hopefully this will be remedied soon as I have two Titan X's on the way.

If not how will you run this monitor and what will you do with the Titan Xs?

If not how will you run this monitor and what will you do with the Titan Xs?

Well the Titan X's are staying. At 4K I need the power for gaming. I'd rather trade out monitors than trade out video cards. If the monitor doesn't work all that well for me in the long run then I'll put it in the bedroom as a TV and find something else for my PC.

I find it hard to believe the titan X does not support HDMI 2.0

Also What's the big difference between the 6700 vs 9000 55' for gaming? I want the 55" and was going to buy the 9000/9500 if it was that much better vs having 4 30" monitors / 1 32" acer

Can you post done pics of your setup with the lights on? Preferably with your kb and mouse? I'm trying to get a visual of how large your 40" is. It seems like you're the only one in this thread with the 40" and I'm still leaning toward it since I can still use my monitor arm on it with an adapter.

I have the 40" also and sit about 2' away (a little more than arm's length). It's perfect. I'm glad I didn't get the 48"

Does anyone have a recommendation for a very good desk mount to hold the 40"? I am buying two, so need to be able to adjust the angles appropriately (the mounts will not be centered, but shifted towards the left and right side of the desk, mounted on the rear of the desk).

My understanding is it is a 200x200 VESA mount. I am having trouble finding a 200x200 VESA adjustable desk mounted arm on Amazon that supports 25 pounds.

My first thought is the Ergotron LX.desk arm with a VESA adapter to accommodate 200x200.

VESA adapters that were used in the Philips thread:

Mount World
Parts Express
VideoSecu

I wish someone with a Titan X could answer this, because I plan on upgrading to the Titan X very soon from my 980.

I created a new thread in the Nvida video forum asking for confirmation from Titan X owners. I hope to get a response from an actual owner.

I created a new thread in the Nvida video forum asking for confirmation from Titan X owners. I hope to get a response from an actual owner.

The Anandtech review of the Titan X explicitly indicates that it can drive a 4K TV using HDMI 2.0.

Link to Review

"Meanwhile display I/O follows the same configuration we saw on GTX 980. This is 1x DL-DVI-I, 3x DisplayPort 1.2, and 1x HDMI 2.0, with a total limit of 4 displays. In the case of GTX Titan the DVI port is somewhat antiquated at this point – the card is generally overpowered for the relatively low maximum resolutions of DL-DVI – but on the other hand the HDMI 2.0 port is actually going to be of some value here since it means GTX Titan X can drive a 4K TV."

Anyone having trouble with the ultra small text . icons can go in and increase everything to 150%. Makes the desktop super usable and at the same time gives you that great 4k wallpaper and resolution for games and movies.

The Anandtech review of the Titan X explicitly indicates that it can drive a 4K TV using HDMI 2.0.

Link to Review

"Meanwhile display I/O follows the same configuration we saw on GTX 980. This is 1x DL-DVI-I, 3x DisplayPort 1.2, and 1x HDMI 2.0, with a total limit of 4 displays. In the case of GTX Titan the DVI port is somewhat antiquated at this point – the card is generally overpowered for the relatively low maximum resolutions of DL-DVI – but on the other hand the HDMI 2.0 port is actually going to be of some value here since it means GTX Titan X can drive a 4K TV."
FANTASTIC
So I hope rumors die

Originally Posted by Mako360 View Post
Titan X supports 4:4:4 at 4k via display port only. Surprising that the 980/970 can do it through HDMI while the X can't...

FANTASTIC
So I hope rumors die

Titan X supports 4:4:4 at 4k via display port only. Surprising that the 980/970 can do it through HDMI while the X can't...

Excellent. I've got two Titan X's inbound that should arrive Tuesday.

I have the 48" curved and was considering downsizing to the 40" curved with 3D. I recall seeing 2 posts in this thread regarding 3D. One said the he had played Crysis in 3D for a few hours, and another that stated that 3D was unusable with games. So, does 3D gaming work with these screens or not?

My pair of MSI 970 OC editions are running just fine.

As soon as the 390x comes out, I will sale 3 x 290'x and 2 x 970's for around $175 each to flip 'em real fast. That will give me around $900 to spend. If the 390x is around $600 then I'll go ahead and get 2 of 'em.

Does the 120hz vs 240hz even matter when in Game or PC mode? All that motion stuff will be disabled I thought. Any chance PWM could be better on the 7500? Ugh. Wish I could see these two side by side.
Did you happen to see if there was any real anti-glare differences between the two?

Neither do any more than 60hz at full res.

It's possible the 7500 might have 240hz pwm if it's a "240hz" tv.

I have the 40" also and sit about 2' away (a little more than arm's length). It's perfect. I'm glad I didn't get the 48"

My first thought is the Ergotron LX.desk arm with a VESA adapter to accommodate 200x200.

VESA adapters that were used in the Philips thread:

Mount World
Parts Express
VideoSecu

Thanks, I'm pretty much set on the 40JU6700 as it has the same ppi as my 34UM95 and I've gotten accustomed to it already. I'm actually planning to get that Mount World adapter to use on my Ergo-tech Freedom monitor arm. The 40JU6700 just falls under the max weight limit of the arm so it's perfect.

I guess I still have time to decide as I'm still waiting for AMD's 390X to release for HDMI 2.0.

Can anyone provide a photo of what the text looks like unscaled on the 40"?

Here's a shot of HardForum. I know I'm not using the desktop space very efficiently by having the browser almost fullscreen, but I like how it presents what would be paragraphs on a lesser monitor as a single line of text. :D

The text looks small because of the size of the picture, but as batmanwcm noted it's about the same pixel pitch as one of the 34" ultrawides or a 27" 2560x1440 panel which is considered just about ideal in terms of PPI.

I think that looks usable, thanks. I just can't stand scaling of any kind.

FANTASTIC
So I hope rumors die

Can drive 4k via both HDMI 2.0 and display port, can drive 4:4:4: 4k via the display port only. Work buddy has been trying for two weeks on his LG 49UB8500 with no luck via HDMI 2.0... :(

My pair of MSI 970 OC editions are running just fine.

As soon as the 390x comes out, I will sale 3 x 290'x and 2 x 970's for around $175 each to flip 'em real fast. That will give me around $900 to spend. If the 390x is around $600 then I'll go ahead and get 2 of 'em.

$749 MSRP on 390X

Last edited:
Here's a shot of HardForum. I know I'm not using the desktop space very efficiently by having the browser almost fullscreen, but I like how it presents what would be paragraphs on a lesser monitor as a single line of text. :D

Meh, that just looks weird, having a webpage in (almost) full screen on a curved display.
Even the Windows taskbar looks weird.

Meh, that just looks weird, having a webpage in (almost) full screen on a curved display.
Even the Windows taskbar looks weird.

Keep in mind that shot is at an angle. You would never use the monitor that way, so what you're describing as "weird" isn't exactly representative of how it looks when you're directly in front of it.

I've had the Westinghouse 37" flat and this 40" curved. I don't mind flat, but I prefer the curve. More immersing and makes stuff on the edges a bit easier to see.

If you don't think you'd like the curve, that's cool. That's why the 6500 and 7100 series exist.

Back