New Samsung 4k for everyone.

If you need optimal pixel pitch, the 40" will be the way to go.
I bought it for productivity, and the 110ppi is known to be near perfect.

You realize there's no perfect viewing distance, right?

Even if there were, the practical resolution of the eye is tricky to determine absolutely.

I think the dot pitch is just fine at 100% scaling on the 48". I was used to 2560x1600 on a 30" and I am not bothered by it at all.

The biggest challenge will be the vertical height. If you can work with that, I would say trying the 48" is worth it (as long as it can be taken back).

Like I said the 3x 27" ROG Swifts in Portrait measure 47". Were it not for the terrible TN viewing angles I think the size would be great.

You realize there's no perfect viewing distance, right?

Even if there were, the practical resolution of the eye is tricky to determine absolutely.

Resolution vs PPI

In reference to PPI, we're talking about text sharpness and shape edges.
Regardless of viewing distance, there's a certain level of sharpness that is desired.

Resolution vs PPI

In reference to PPI, we're talking about text clarity.
Regardless of viewing distance, there's a certain level of text clarity that is desired.

No, the eye or any kind of general optical system can only sense angular resolution/pitch.

I do a lot of architecture based photography and need to correct lens distortion on the majority of my paid work. Would I end up battling additional perceived distortion from the curved screen as well?

Edit: Also, anyone calibrate one of these yet with an x-rite or similar?

No, that's only recommended when initially enabling UHD Color on the HDMI input.

You do not actually have to unplug anything (I never did). Just set the HDMI UHD color on the input then the TV asks you to reboot. Select Yes. It will reboot and you have HDMI UDH color

I do a lot of architecture based photography and need to correct lens distortion on the majority of my paid work. Would I end up battling additional perceived distortion from the curved screen as well?

Yes and no. The curve will in theory produce less geometric distortion from a centered viewing position, but our eyes/mind already correct for this distortion anyway (a box doesn't look "curved" even though the lines necessarily are). With a flat display it'll be easier to determine whether any specific viewing distortion is caused by the screen or actual pic.

Since some people in this thread have gone with the 48" I'm sort of torn on the 40 or the 48. I figured the dot pitch of the 40 would be better, but if the 48" still has a good dot pitch that won't hurt my eyes I'd rather go with a bigger monitor. Then again my 3x ROG Swifts in portrait mode the total display is basically 48".

You guys with the 48's, did you come from regular sized monitors to these "TVs" and what do you think of the dot pitch. The cost difference really isn't all that much between the two so if the 48's would work well for Photoshop, web browsing and non-gaming tasks then I'd probably opt for the larger display.

I came from a 32inch 1440p display. I liked the dpi on that and 48 inch 2160p display (4k) has the exact same DPI. The way I looked at it 40 inch was a bit too small, 48 inch was a bit too large. I opted for the bit too large and I have no regrets. I wound up setting the monitor back a little further then my previous 32 (and lower) so it all worked out. With a 40 inch I likely would have needed to go with 125% scaling on windows.

Edit: Also, anyone calibrate one of these yet with an x-rite or similar?

Wow - that's a tough question. I noticed that I was seeing the curve initially on windows, but then I would forget about it/get used to it. That is just from 2 hours of using it.

I think others are right that the 40" would be fine flat, but the 48" would be best as a curved display. If you are looking at the 40", I'd probably just get the flat version. If you want the 48" - I would try the curved out to see if it will work as long as you can return it if it doesn't.

Good luck!

PSA: In case anyone didn't know, the Netflix app is finally out! Thanks to a tip from someone in Amazon (thanks P. Schmidt!), you need to reset the Smart Hub in order to get the app to work.

Let us know how the 10' version of this cable works. I have both the 15' and the 6' and the 15' did not work. As soon as I plugged in the 6' - it worked.

Hmmm ok, that's interesting. I haven't had any issues with 10' before. BUT I haven't pushed them as hard as this one will be pushed. So hopefully no issues. Otherwise will be moving my desk/tower around a bit to allow for a 6'. Well, maybe not. I just checked the pics and the inputs for the TV are on the right side which is where my tower is. So probably could haven't gotten away with 6. Either way, I'll post an update once all arrives next week. Looks like expected delivery of April 10. Seems like forever away. I hate waiting. :)

PSA: In case anyone didn't know, the Netflix app is finally out! Thanks to a tip from someone in Amazon (thanks P. Schmidt!), you need to reset the Smart Hub in order to get the app to work.

Great. Samsung has Amazon Prime Video also. Good days ahead.
Some UHD content is available, still not the best quality but it's there.

Great. Samsung has Amazon Prime Video also. Good days ahead.
Some UHD content is available, still not the best quality but it's there.

Great news on the Netflix and Amazon apps. I also have DirecTV, so this is going to be the most connected "display" ever for me.

Well I grabbed the 48" JU6700 locally and got it priced matched to Amazon. I'm still tuning things and playing with it. So far it seems like a keeper but I'm picky and only time will tell.

Well I grabbed the 48" JU6700 locally and got it priced matched to Amazon. I'm still tuning things and playing with it. So far it seems like a keeper but I'm picky and only time will tell.

Woot woot!

Impressions please!

Can you also post some photo's as well?

I was initially set on the 40JU6700 as I can find that locally for $800. It looked like the perfect monitor for 4k/110ppi. But it seems that everyone one here has gotten the 48" and has been happy with the lower it even with the lower PPI so I wonder what are your impressions going from 109ppi to 91 ppi.

I was initially set on the 40JU6700 as I can find that locally for $800. It looked like the perfect monitor for 4k/110ppi. But it seems that everyone one here has gotten the 48" and has been happy with the lower it even with the lower PPI so I wonder what are your impressions going from 109ppi to 91 ppi.

Where are you finding the 40JU6700 for $800 at? I'm so impressed with my 48" JU6700 that I think I'll be looking to get a 40" version for my wife.

Thanks!

Well the PPI is closer to my Dell 3007WFP-HC's which I used for several years. So while I noticed the difference switching from the ROG Swift it doesn't bother me like I thought it might. I'll post some photos after I get my office cleaned up and put back together.

@meraki1990

Where did you buy this at locally?

I got it at Fry's Electronics. They do internet price matching so it was easy to show them an online price from TigerDirect or Crutchfield etc. and get them to match it.

My 48JU6700 shipped from Crutchfield. I feel good about purchasing from them because they have such a liberal return policy.

Where are you finding the 40JU6700 for $800 at? I'm so impressed with my 48" JU6700 that I think I'll be looking to get a 40" version for my wife.

Thanks!

I live in NYC and there are a large number of chinese electronic/appliance shops here that sell TV's and appliances cheaper than all the big box stores. They make profit by selling by volume.

They don't sell PC parts so I rarely buy things from them but this monitor happens to be a TV so it sort of worked out for me.

They don't charge tax which is awesome but you must pay in cash. If you live in Brooklyn, NY, pm me for the location.

My local store has 20 incoming from the warehouse next week.

Well the PPI is closer to my Dell 3007WFP-HC's which I used for several years. So while I noticed the difference switching from the ROG Swift it doesn't bother me like I thought it might. I'll post some photos after I get my office cleaned up and put back together.

Now you've got me really confused as I've actually owned a Dell 3007WFP-HC for 5 years and absolutely loved that monitor. I'm just afraid that the 48" will be too big.

OK, I don't understand the Titan X situation. This review of the reference Titan X says it has HDMI 2.0...
I thought that was all it took to get 4 4 4 chroma
From a gfx card perspective.

From a gfx card perspective.

OK Great, so why are people in this thread saying that the Titan X will not do 4 4 4 chroma on this display?=)(= Limp Gawd, 6 Months

=)(=
Quote:
Originally Posted by datap1mp View Post
Fuck, so the Titan X doesn't support 4:4:4 at 3840x2160 60Hz??

Nvm, it does not support it. Weird.
Last edited by =)(=; Yesterday at 02:33 PM.

About 4:4:4 support, is it only an issue over HDMI connections and for televisions? I don't recall this coming up when I was buying my previous monitor. Is it a given that all PC monitors support 4:4:4 or maybe it isn't an issue at lower resolutions?

I live in NYC and there are a large number of chinese electronic/appliance shops here that sell TV's and appliances cheaper than all the big box stores. They make profit by selling by volume.

They don't sell PC parts so I rarely buy things from them but this monitor happens to be a TV so it sort of worked out for me.

They don't charge tax which is awesome but you must pay in cash. If you live in Brooklyn, NY, pm me for the location.

My local store has 20 incoming from the warehouse next week.

Good luck returning it if something goes wrong.:D

Thanks!

lol this makes me feel like I got the wife edition.
I'm good though. I think it also depends on the space you're placing the monitor.
Is the space open or confined? Mine is a bit confined so a 48" will be huge.

I have a 30 day return policy also. If I feel antsy about the 48", I can always go back to the store.

Now you've got me really confused as I've actually owned a Dell 3007WFP-HC for 5 years and absolutely loved that monitor. I'm just afraid that the 48" will be too big.

My 48JU6700 replaced a 3007WFP that I used for nearly a decade. Someone said it earlier -- it's like having your own personal IMAX. I couldn't agree more.

OK Great, so why are people in this thread saying that the Titan X will not do 4 4 4 chroma on this display?=)(= Limp Gawd, 6 Months

=)(=
Quote:
Originally Posted by datap1mp View Post
Fuck, so the Titan X doesn't support 4:4:4 at 3840x2160 60Hz??

Nvm, it does not support it. Weird.
Last edited by =)(=; Yesterday at 02:33 PM.

Titan X supports 4:4:4 at 4k via display port only. Surprising that the 980/970 can do it through HDMI while the X can't...

Just picked up the only 40in JU6500 at my local Fry's. Going to try and source a 980 or 970 this weekend on craigslist and post results.

Hmm, it does say HDMI 2.0

Hard to believe that it wouldn't have that after the 9xx cards did, and they've been out for a while...

So I had some credit at Microcenter, I was in the store today and found out they got 2 of the 50" JU6500's in priced at $999 in today on the truck. This is a full $100 cheaper than ANYONE on the internet and locally so I returned my curved 48". With the credit and savings I was able to get for FREE basically, 2 x GTX 970 OC editions. Not only that, one was opened and looked brand new, the other was new. They accidentally priced matched the new 970 to the same marked downed open box that was $287 I think. They did this because I had a price match on a cable and they price matched the video card as well to the opened box along with the cable.

Win / Win.

Pictures later

That was my fear but when I saw it in the store I immediately realized the 40" wouldn't make me happy. The 48" is exactly the same size as my 27"s were in portrait mode which is what I developed a preference for.

My 48JU6700 replaced a 3007WFP that I used for nearly a decade. Someone said it earlier -- it's like having your own personal IMAX. I couldn't agree more.

Well said. I am still getting to know this monitor and I'm still tweaking settings. But that is how I feel sitting in front of it.

Hmm, it does say HDMI 2.0

Hard to believe that it wouldn't have that after the 9xx cards did, and they've been out for a while...

It may and probably does come down to simple drivers. Hopefully this will be remedied soon as I have two Titan X's on the way.

Can you assign more than one HDMI port to PC mode? I might just buy a 960 anyways. At worst I can run my desktop @ 4:4:4 and SLI game on my 3 Titans from another HDMI port.

Back