New Samsung 4k for everyone.

A 48" inch Sammy (2014) on my desk (200% scaling in Windows):

ZQxJylk.jpg

It did feel really big but I would probably have got used to it, if it could do 4:4:4.

Nice!

What kind of video card do you have?

MSI 970. I should probably have spent more time with the Sammy before returning it to the store. I connected it to HDMI 3 (iirc) as the manual said, enabled UHD Color, tried different HDMI cables and changing stuff in Nvidia control panel. I see in this thread that someone wrote he had to rename input to PC to get it work, something which I did not try.

MSI 970. I should probably have spent more time with the Sammy before returning it to the store. I connected it to HDMI 3 (iirc) as the manual said, enabled UHD Color, tried different HDMI cables and changing stuff in Nvidia control panel. I see in this thread that someone wrote he had to rename input to PC to get it work, something which I did not try.

You have to rename HDMI Port 1 to PC, Select PC as a Device for HDMI Port 1, Turn HDMI UHD Color On, and then connect the HDMI Cable to HDMI Port 1.

Well, I won't have 4:4:4 support for a while but it's nice to know the display can do it once I get a card that supports it. I'll have to decide if I can live with it in the meantime.

I'm hoping we can get Samsung to issue a firmware upgrade to add 4:4:4 support in Game Mode.

I bought the monitor for Productivity first.
4:4:4 support makes it the ideal 4K monitor. Text is sharp without artifacts.

I've been using Photoshop, Premier and Dreamweaver today.
The large amount of workspace is great.

WorldExclusive, a couple of questions if you wouldn't mind.

How easy is it to shift to game mode and back? Can you do this with the remote?

When you shift to Game Mode and back to the normal mode, do you need to unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in?

WorldExclusive, a couple of questions if you wouldn't mind.

How easy is it to shift to game mode and back? Can you do this with the remote?

When you shift to Game Mode and back to the normal mode, do you need to unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in?

I use the remote to switch between PC and Game Mode.
Individual picture settings in each mode are saved also.

No, that's only recommended when initially enabling UHD Color on the HDMI input.

I use the remote to switch between PC and Game Mode.
Individual picture settings in each mode are saved also.

No, that's only recommended when initially enabling UHD Color on the HDMI input.

Perfect, thank you. Would have gotten a bit annoying otherwise.

This seems like a pretty good deal at $825. I was originally interested in the Phillips but availability seems to be an issue there.

How is Samsung warranty/support supposed to be? Because it is a TV, I am hoping they have a reasonable program going.

Perfect, thank you. Would have gotten a bit annoying otherwise.

This seems like a pretty good deal at $825. I was originally interested in the Phillips but availability seems to be an issue there.

How is Samsung warranty/support supposed to be? Because it is a TV, I am hoping they have a reasonable program going.

It's good support for what it is. I'm sure it's a hassle to some degree to set everything up, but they will honor their warranty.

I'm just putting this here in case any other members have questions about this TV supporting 4:4:4

7E3PPeT.jpg

Nice pics. So, how do you like curved?

I am reading this: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1603433-one-advantage-curved-lcd-tvs.html

And many users say it's a gimmick. Curved looks good in some games and movies, but for general desktop usage maybe flat would be better.

I'm really liking it so far. I am sitting pretty close and I've only used it for a couple of hours, so we'll see over the next week or so.

I was a bit afraid of the glare issue, but I don't think it is much of a concern for me (1 window slightly behind my desk and off to the side). The curve is nice to break up what glare there is.

I think the curve is going to be really nice for this display in a multi-display setup. With it being SO wide, having the curve bring in the corners where the side monitors will meet I think will help make it feel more natural.

I'm modifying my monitor stand today to lower it 1.5", and I will be setting up the u3011's on either side so I'll be able to see how it will truly feel.

Added: I agree with the AVSForum link you posted. For up close, centered work (like a computer monitor is) shows the benefits of the curve. I would not want one for my main TV viewing in the living room.

-dc

Last edited:

I am reading this: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1603433-one-advantage-curved-lcd-tvs.html

And many users say it's a gimmick. Curved looks good in some games and movies, but for general desktop usage maybe flat would be better.

On my 65" I definitely say its a gimmick. Its even a bad thing depending on where you sit in front of it. My home theatre room is long and narrow so it works. If it were wider and shorter it wouldn't. Sitting too far away from the center causes the image to appear distorted. Again not a problem for my setup but I noticed that in the stores whenever I see curved displays. For gaming on a 40" or 48" effectively using one of these as a computer monitor I can see a potential benefit to the curved display, but I'm not sold on that for desktop use.

Since I'm pretty sure that this 48" will be staying in my setup, I am looking for a center channel speaker that can fit under the display - between the leg support and the bottom of the display.

Anybody got any good suggestions...? I'm currently using a Logitech Z5500, but have no issue with trading it out to get the right speakers for this new setup.

Thanks.

Since I'm pretty sure that this 48" will be staying in my setup, I am looking for a center channel speaker that can fit under the display - between the leg support and the bottom of the display.

Anybody got any good suggestions...? I'm currently using a Logitech Z5500, but have no issue with trading it out to get the right speakers for this new setup.

Thanks.

Since some people in this thread have gone with the 48" I'm sort of torn on the 40 or the 48. I figured the dot pitch of the 40 would be better, but if the 48" still has a good dot pitch that won't hurt my eyes I'd rather go with a bigger monitor. Then again my 3x ROG Swifts in portrait mode the total display is basically 48".

You guys with the 48's, did you come from regular sized monitors to these "TVs" and what do you think of the dot pitch. The cost difference really isn't all that much between the two so if the 48's would work well for Photoshop, web browsing and non-gaming tasks then I'd probably opt for the larger display.

I ended up going with this Monoprice cable. I really like the slim cables. Much easier to route. But $21 vs $9 lol hmmm.

Maybe that was the wrong choice...on rtings.com it says they had more luck with a cheap 3ft cable (55JU7100):

"4k @ 60 fps worked at chroma 4:4:4. You need to turn on 'UHD Color' also set the input to PC. If it doesn't work for you, try changing your cable. It didn't work with our Monoprice 18 Gbps 15ft Redmere cable, but it worked with a cheap 3 ft one."

Can someone tell me if I buy two 970's to power two JU6700 40's for normal desktop use, but want to only play games on a single 40" (not both), will the 970's SLI for added performance to that monitor only?

Can someone tell me if I buy two 970's to power two JU6700 40's for normal desktop use, but want to only play games on a single 40" (not both), will the 970's SLI for added performance to that monitor only?

Yes. Disable multi-monitor when gaming if spanning across displays.

40"'s ppi is similar to 27" 1440p, which I feel is the sweet spot.

I'm eyeing the 40" version of this, I already cancelled my Phillips order and am waiting for a deal on these..

It's IMO awkward to sit same distance from one of these as smaller PC monitor. Somewhat more than arm's length is about right.

IME there's also less eye strain from a display further away--more natural gaze.

Since some people in this thread have gone with the 48" I'm sort of torn on the 40 or the 48. I figured the dot pitch of the 40 would be better, but if the 48" still has a good dot pitch that won't hurt my eyes I'd rather go with a bigger monitor. Then again my 3x ROG Swifts in portrait mode the total display is basically 48".

I had to step back from the 48" to enjoy it. Close up to be used as a monitor was a bit too much.

You'll still need to scale up the DPI to 125-150% to make the text readable regardless of the size, but the pixels compared to the 40" may be not as sharp. It's hard to tell without having them side by side. I only saw the in-store Samsung demo side by side.

The goal is to have the monitor sit as low as possible to the desk and sit as high as possible, so the eyes are level with the top of the screen. A 48" monitor would make this more challenging to achieve. The funny thing though.....the brightness will shift if your eyes are level with the top of the monitor. The "sweet spot" is directly in the middle of the screen, so given that, a 48" Curved will work very well. I think the curve makes the 48" usable.

The problem with large flat display when you're up close is the corners are further away at less then ideal angle.

I don't think it does much for TV at substantial distance, but good for computer display on your desk. If anything the LCD tv models aren't curved enough for "battlestation" (~4-5m radius, <=3m would be nice).

Also looks pretty cool.

I had to step back from the 48" to enjoy it. Close up to be used as a monitor was a bit too much.

You'll still need to scale up the DPI to 125-150% to make the text readable regardless of the size, but the pixels compared to the 40" may be not as sharp. It's hard to tell without having them side by side. I only saw the in-store Samsung demo side by side.

The goal is to have them sit as low as possible to the desk and sit as high as possible, so the eyes are level with the top of the screen. A 48" monitor would make it more challenging to achieve. The funny thing though.....the color will shift if your eyes are level with the top of the monitor. The "sweet spot" is directly in the middle of the screen, so given that, a 48" Curved will work very well. I think the Curve makes the 48" usable.

I figured that the 40" would be fine flat or curved and the 48" would be best experienced as a monitor if it were curved. That's the sense I'm getting from your post as well.

Are there any differences between the JU6500 and JU6700 (other than the curvature)?

I figured that the 40" would be fine flat or curved and the 48" would be best experienced as a monitor if it were curved. That's the sense I'm getting from your post as well.

Yes. The curved changes were the eyes are positioned.
People buying the 48" are happy. Usually any dissatisfaction is immediately post here.
I couldn't consider it because my desk space is maxed out.
Are there any differences between the JU6500 and JU6700 (other than the curvature)?

From what I saw in person? No.
But you will want the curve if being used for a monitor.

I think the 40" is probably fine either curved or flat. On the 48" I'm going to bet that curved is the only way to go using it as a monitor.

Yes. The curved changes were the eyes are positioned.
People buying the 48" are happy. Usually any dissatisfaction is immediately post here.
I couldn't consider it because my desk space is maxed out.

From what I saw in person? No.
But you will want the curve if being used for a monitor.

I think the 40" is probably fine either curved or flat. On the 48" I'm going to bet that curved is the only way to go using it as a monitor.

I am looking at the 40". I think I would prefer the flat as well. I am going to be about 3ft away anyway.

You guys with the 48's, did you come from regular sized monitors to these "TVs" and what do you think of the dot pitch. The cost difference really isn't all that much between the two so if the 48's would work well for Photoshop, web browsing and non-gaming tasks then I'd probably opt for the larger display.

IMO concern over specific dot pitch is silly as over 4k for gaming. A lot of people used 1080p TVs for these purposes. Once you get used to not having to hunch over and squint at a display it's a liberating experience. The mindset should be "will I accept smaller", not "can I use larger". There is no going back.

Maybe that was the wrong choice...on rtings.com it says they had more luck with a cheap 3ft cable (55JU7100):

"4k @ 60 fps worked at chroma 4:4:4. You need to turn on 'UHD Color' also set the input to PC. If it doesn't work for you, try changing your cable. It didn't work with our Monoprice 18 Gbps 15ft Redmere cable, but it worked with a cheap 3 ft one."

Any shorter cable will work better than longer. At such speeds over electrical cabling the signal becomes very analog and the "eye" of signal transitions closes down:

http://www.hdmi.org/installers/eyediagram.aspx

I suspect w/ such high speed connection there's some equalization of varying effectiveness involved so it's a complete crap shoot whether any given transmitter/cable/receiver setup will work when longer runs are involved.

Last edited:
I'm concerned about the pitch because I do many things other than gaming. If it were only for gaming I'd pull the trigger without hestiation. Doing photoshop, writing reviews, reading text, I'm not so sure. That's why I'm asking.

nope?!
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-titan-x/specifications
Dual Link DVI-I, HDMI, 3x DisplayPort 1.2
* 5120x3200 at 60Hz with dual DisplayPort connectors.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-titan-z/specifications
One Dual Link DVI-I, One Dual Link DVI-D, One HDMI, One DisplayPort
1 - 3840x2160 at 30Hz or 4096x2160 at 24Hz supported over HDMI. 4096x2160 (including 3840x2160) at 60Hz supported over Displayport. Support for 4k tiled MST displays requires 326.19 driver or later.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-980/specifications
Dual Link DVI-I, HDMI 2.0, 3x DisplayPort 1.2
* 5120x3200 at 60Hz with dual DisplayPort connectors.

Only the 9x0 series specifically states HDMI 2.0 support. On the other hand, both Titan Z and GTx 9x0 support 5120x3200 resolutions.

this is a very relevant question.

This card has HDMI 2.0:

http://www.evga.com/articles/00918/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-TITAN-X/

I'm concerned about the pitch because I do many things other than gaming. If it were only for gaming I'd pull the trigger without hestiation. Doing photoshop, writing reviews, reading text, I'm not so sure. That's why I'm asking.

The relevant spec is angular pitch, which depends on how far away the display is. IMO it's pretty ridiculous to sit same distance from 40"+ TV as pc monitor.

Regardless, super fine pitch really only matters to cut down the last bit of aliasing in abstract shapes like fonts. Even then 1080p TVs work perfectly fine with sub-pixel trickery (eg cleartype) and it's not usually noticeable unless some effort is made.

That's the way I feel as well.

How do you feel about the text on your ROG Swifts?

Rog Swift PPI: 108
40" Samsung PPI: 110
48" Samsung PPI: 91

The pixel pitch on the 40" will be almost identical to a 27" 1440p display. The pixel pitch on the 48" will be identical to a 32" 1440p display such as the BL3200PT.

If you need optimal pixel pitch, the 40" will be the way to go.
I bought it for productivity, and the 110ppi is known to be near perfect.

That's the way I feel as well.

How do you feel about the text on your ROG Swifts?

Rog Swift PPI: 108
40" Samsung PPI: 110
48" Samsung PPI: 91

The pixel pitch on the 40" will be almost identical to a 27" 1440p display. The pixel pitch on the 48" will be identical to a 32" 1440p display such as the BL3200PT.

I do notice the slightly better pixel pitch offered by the ROG Swift vs. the Dell 3007WFP-HCs. I still use my HC's on other systems and while I can see the difference between the two monitors I don't think its a huge issue.

It sounds to me like the 40" and the 48" will be noticably different but only about like comparing the 2560x1600 30" Dell to the 27" 2560x1440 ROG Swift. Maybe it won't be quite that close but that's the idea.

I ended up going with this Monoprice cable. I really like the slim cables. Much easier to route. But $21 vs $9 lol hmmm.

Let us know how the 10' version of this cable works. I have both the 15' and the 6' and the 15' did not work. As soon as I plugged in the 6' - it worked.

I think the length is the biggest issue. The 6' version of this cable worked but the 15' did not for me.

I will be trying multiple cables and will report back what works and what doesn't.

I think the dot pitch is just fine at 100% scaling on the 48". I was used to 2560x1600 on a 30" and I am not bothered by it at all.

The biggest challenge will be the vertical height. If you can work with that, I would say trying the 48" is worth it (as long as it can be taken back).

Back