New Samsung 4k for everyone.

Based on this excellent input, I'm moments away from purchasing the Samsung UN48JS8500 and the Mediabridge ULTRA Series 6' HDMI Cable from Amazon.

Any final objections or suggestions before the appropriate electrons are sent? I ask because I want to avoid the "you should have done <insert alternative here>" conversation that typically follows such a purchase (e.g., purchase from a different retailer, avoid standard shipping, different cable, etc.).

Thanks again for all of this wonderful guidance!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Could be in my head and could be JUST the JS9000 or the newest firmware.

I find if I go into 3d mode and then leave it things feel snappier... like the 120hz mode sticks or something... feels faster? This is in Game preset, Smooth mode on ... then go to 3d then back ...well I LIKE IT HAHA!

Based on this excellent input, I'm moments away from purchasing the Samsung UN48JS8500 and the Mediabridge ULTRA Series 6' HDMI Cable from Amazon.

Any final objections or suggestions before the appropriate electrons are sent? I ask because I want to avoid the "you should have done <insert alternative here>" conversation that typically follows such a purchase (e.g., purchase from a different retailer, avoid standard shipping, different cable, etc.).

I almost got that one .... it is an EASY choice over the 7500 between the 2 I would get the 8500! curve is nice sure but not over a better panel!
if you have issue in choosing then the JS9000 is for you ;) or if you want to take a gamble on 8 cores vs 4 and wanting to pay say $300-400 next year or the year after for what I hope will be even LESS lag and maybe better input options with the upgragable one connect on the 9000 !

E3 is just around the corner, should expect new models announcements and if not, newer version of PWM free Crossover 44K is supposed to be out in a couple of weeks.

If you want a 48", the JS8500 is a no brainier. It's actually 100 cheaper than the curved 7500. Good thing my return window is already up, or else I may move up to 48" which I really don't want to.

Sigh.

I'm still within the return window for my 7500, and I'm already at 48"...though I do like the curve (esp. at that size).

Guess I have some thinking to do. I'll await vorpel's impressions; that just might push me over the edge.

Now I'm happy that I didn't buy the 48" 6700/7500 because the 48" JS8500 is a steal at that price. I would sell/return my 48" if I had one.
But for desktop PC use, I still think a curve is needed. If you're only gaming, then don't worry.

Sigh.

I'm still within the return window for my 7500, and I'm already at 48"...though I do like the curve (esp. at that size).

Guess I have some thinking to do. I'll await vorpel's impressions; that just might push me over the edge.

Here is my completely unscientific impression of the differences between the JU6700 and the JS9000.

My first impression of the 9000 was that the colors were richer and the black were deeper (and I didn't think that was possible as the 6700's blacks are awesome coming from the Dell u3011). What I don't know is how much is attributed to the glossy vs sem-gloss and how much is the panel.

I noticed the difference in desktop photos, gaming (Diablo 3) and with the Netflix app through the TV. All TV settings are the same.

In direct comparison now with the 40" 6700 and the 48" 9000, I think the difference is maybe 6-9% better on the 9000.

There are some real benefits with the 9000 - the one connect box being able to be upgraded, the glossy screen (I do prefer it slightly over the semi-gloss, but I did have a framed print on the wall directly behind my desk that has a 2 1/4 white border around the image and that was distracting with the 9000 such that I moved the picture. I never noticed it with the 6700), and the better color of the panel.

If my budget were tighter, I don't think I would keep the 9000 over the 48" 6700. The $850 difference is a lot. I really debated with getting the 7500. I am however going to keep it for 5 reasons:

1. I got an extra $150 off from my local store (special order that was never picked up) so $700 is a bit easier to take.

2. The one connect box being able to be upgraded. Reading on AVSforum, my impression is that this is going to be a very good thing.

3. The1 better, more vibrant colors and the glossy screen is very nice and slightly better than the semi-gloss imho.

4. The potential HDR (or HDR lite) of this set is very intriguing as this display will do TV duty as well.

5. I plan to keep this setup for several years as my setup is now exactly where I want it. I tried the Dell u3011 in portrait on the sides of the 48" 6700, I tried the Dell 24" 1080p (u2414h) monitors on either side and neither worked for my usage. Having the 40" 6700's on each side is overwhelming but exactly what I was looking for.

I do need to try out Game mode, need to check blur. I am not sensitive to lag, but I will try out Borderland Pre-Sequel tonight and see how that goes.

I hope this helps. If there are specific things you want tested, please let me know (and include links).

Thanks

I capitulated to my tech demons and purchased the JS9000 and the Mediabridge ULTRA 6' cable this morning from Amazon. I hope you guys are pleased with yourselves. ;)

@vorpel and supermi: I would appreciate any guidance you guys may have on how best to setup and configure the display (i.e., settings for optimal PQ, gaming, etc.).

Last edited:
5. I plan to keep this setup for several years as my setup is now exactly where I want it. I tried the Dell u3011 in portrait on the sides of the 48" 6700, I tried the Dell 24" 1080p (u2414h) monitors on either side and neither worked for my usage. Having the 40" 6700's on each side is overwhelming but exactly what I was looking for.

You are keeping that setup? I thought you were putting them in 3 seperate PCs

Thank you very much, vorpel. I look forward to your impressions re: Game mode, blur/ghosting, etc.

Is the difference in color/image quality something that you think can be captured with a camera? I have a sinking feeling that I'm going to need to see it for myself, but you estimated the difference to be roughly 6-9% better than the 6700, with some of that difference being attributed to the full gloss screen and the other being the better panel in the 9000. Since the 7500 also has a full gloss screen that some feel provides a crisper image, deeper blacks, and makes colors pop more, would it be fair to estimate that the 9000 is, what...4-5% better than the 7500?

If so, that is a pretty small difference. But in my research of the JS-series sets, many people are absolutely gushing about the image quality with comments, claiming "OLED-like blacks!" and saying that the image quality is the closest thing to OLED. That's pretty high praise, but (in theory) it should mean that my 7500 isn't too far behind...right?

I'm just trying to get a realistic idea of what to expect. I'm willing to give the 8500 or 9000 a shot if you guys truly feel like the image quality is that stellar. If I keep the set for several years, the price difference (even choking down the $500 premium for 9000 over the 8500) can be easily justified. It was a $450 difference for me to go from 48JU6700 to 48JU7500. Thanks to the recent massive price drops on the JS series, now it's $100 less to go to 48JS8500 and only $400 more to go all the way to 48JS9000. It's probably a good thing that they don't make a 48JS9500. ;)

I'm really hoping that if I take the plunge, there is a distinct benefit to the JS series even though I won't be able to take full advantage of the 10-bit panel. Those quantum dots at work, though. :cool:

Also, what is the deal with the One Connect box being able to be upgraded (supposedly the 7500 can do this as well)? After going back and reading supermi's posts again, I assume this means that the box itself can be swapped out as new connection standards emerge, etc.? So theoretically, one might be able to take a one connect box from next year's Samsung TV lineup and use it with this year's (assuming there are any benefits)?

Again, thanks for the information; it's very much appreciated.

Last edited:
I capitulated to my tech demons and purchased the JS9000 and the Mediabridge ULTRA 6' cable this morning from Amazon. I hope you guys are pleased with yourselves. ;)

@vorpel and supermi: I would appreciate any guidance you guys may have on how best to setup and configure the display (i.e., settings for optimal PQ, gaming, etc.).

Congrats! I may be joining you soon. Something that I never would have considered before the price drops. I was intrigued by the quantum dot/nano-crystal tech, but the price was too high for me to care about it much. But now I'm considering going from the sweet spot of the entire lineup (6700) to the slightly better and much more expensive 7500, past what could be the new sweet spot (8500), all the way to the top. I hate you guys. And I hate Samsung for making the JS8500 and JS9000 so enticing via the price drops, because I thought that I was DONE swapping displays!

It really is amazing, the hype train that reading these forums can generate. I mean, looking at one of your previous posts, you went from

"I can make a case for outstanding picture quality at $1500, but an extra $500 just for a curved display is the canonical bridge too far."

to getting the 9000 in less than a day! :D Reading about the 9000, wondering about the curve, trying to justify the price difference, etc. has probably consumed most of your time and thought processes for the past several hours, haha. These forums are evil, I tell ya.

I will say though, that given how long these displays will be a viable solution (4K, HDR ready, quantum dot, upgradeable One Connect box, etc.), it really is pretty easy to justify. I'm way more comfortable spending $2k on a display that I can still be using 5 years from now than spending $2K on a GPU solution that I know I'll upgrade several times during that same period.

My Westy 37" provided me years of bliss; it was the greatest monitor that I had ever used, and I am looking to get back to that point of not even looking at other options. I think that finally, with the 9000, that may be possible.

Last edited:
You are keeping that setup? I thought you were putting them in 3 seperate PCs

The setup in the picture will remain the same, but each side display will be running from a separate computer just as soon as I get them reloaded and wired. I will be using Multiplicity Pro to do keyboard/mouse between the systems.

I will also be making a custom monitor shelf that will handle this new setup. It spans 7' 10" so it will be a challenge...!

My Westy 37" provided me years of bliss; it was the greatest monitor that I had ever used, and I am looking to get back to that point of not even looking at other options. I think that finally, with the 9000, that may be possible.

I hear ya. I don't mind all the head space these transitions take up as I find them at the least interesting and sometimes fun. I'm so thankful my wife is understanding, of course she now has the 48" 6700...!

I am really looking forward to just enjoying and not worrying about what might work, etc. I briefly considered triple 40's but I really like the immersion of the 48, and triple 48's are too big and not necessary for what I would use the sides for - not that it wouldn't be cool... Ugh!

I will be happy to help you with some settings ...

For starters "game label in sources" then all processing turned off other than Clear mode is GREAT for most every game ... since the last update even better (less lag) and it seems enabling and disabling 3d mode seems to make it even quicker???

Also using the 3d mode in games like Witcher 3 and SOM are awesome to try!

It really is amazing, the hype train that reading these forums can generate. I mean, looking at one of your previous posts, you went from

"I can make a case for outstanding picture quality at $1500, but an extra $500 just for a curved display is the canonical bridge too far."

to getting the 9000 in less than a day! :D Reading about the 9000, wondering about the curve, trying to justify the price difference, etc. has probably consumed most of your time and thought processes for the past several hours, haha. These forums are evil, I tell ya.

You are absolutely correct. After last night's exchanges, I was only a few mouse clicks away from purchasing the 8500. However, I did some research on curved displays and the value seemed to be highest for desktop PC use (i.e., where the viewer is centered and close to the screen). Since many of you seemed to appreciate the experience provided by your curved displays, I decided to fully commit to this 4k/60Hz madness. In the end, I wanted to enjoy the display with no regrets and no compromises - despite the additional effort required to justify the expense to my wife.

Thank you very much, vorpel. I look forward to your impressions re: Game mode, blur/ghosting, etc.

Is the difference in color/image quality something that you think can be captured with a camera? I have a sinking feeling that I'm going to need to see it for myself, but you estimated the difference to be roughly 6-9% better than the 6700, with some of that difference being attributed to the full gloss screen and the other being the better panel in the 9000. Since the 7500 also has a full gloss screen that some feel provides a crisper image, deeper blacks, and makes colors pop more, would it be fair to estimate that the 9000 is, what...4-5% better than the 7500?

If so, that is a pretty small difference. But in my research of the JS-series sets, many people are absolutely gushing about the image quality with comments, claiming "OLED-like blacks!" and saying that the image quality is the closest thing to OLED. That's pretty high praise, but (in theory) it should mean that my 7500 isn't too far behind...right?

I'm just trying to get a realistic idea of what to expect. I'm willing to give the 8500 or 9000 a shot if you guys truly feel like the image quality is that stellar. If I keep the set for several years, the price difference (even choking down the $500 premium for 9000 over the 8500) can be easily justified. It was a $450 difference for me to go from 48JU6700 to 48JU7500. Thanks to the recent massive price drops on the JS series, now it's $100 less to go to 48JS8500 and only $400 more to go all the way to 48JS9000. It's probably a good thing that they don't make a 48JS9500. ;)

I'm really hoping that if I take the plunge, there is a distinct benefit to the JS series even though I won't be able to take full advantage of the 10-bit panel. Those quantum dots at work, though. :cool:

Also, what is the deal with the One Connect box being able to be upgraded (supposedly the 7500 can do this as well)? After going back and reading supermi's posts again, I assume this means that the box itself can be swapped out as new connection standards emerge, etc.? So theoretically, one might be able to take a one connect box from next year's Samsung TV lineup and use it with this year's (assuming there are any benefits)?

Again, thanks for the information; it's very much appreciated.

The picture quality:

It is not an OLED like display in dark scened and a dark room... The 9500 with full array local dimming is the one that compares to an OLED in that situation. Though in any other situation the blacks do look just as good on the 9000 as the 9500 ... edge lit LED's do not compare to full array for dark scenes and in dark rooms .. but the blacks are still nice in those settings just not INKY black.

The One connect and one connect mini:

the 9500 and 9000 have the full sized "one connect"
The 8500 and 7500 have the "one connect mini"

Right now the hardware differences between the 2 are mainly octocore processor vs quad ... might make some of that clear motion processing add less lag (just a guess).

In the future the differences are potentially HUGE:

The 9500 and 9000 have a full sized one connect and that is designed to be replaced with a whole new box each year for the next several years (if you are so inclined) giving you more processing power and new features (improved features) and I HOPE more input choices (though anything like a DP 1.3 with 120hz input would require the scalar to be in the one connect box and I have NO idea if that is the case).

The 7500 and 8500 have the one connect mini as I said and that is there to make less cable clutter behind your TV but does not have a hardware upgrade path, you got what you got sort of thing.

I got the 9000 over the 8500 in small part due to the curve but even more due to the ability to "I hope" decrease lag and improve features/inputs over time, keeping up with new tv's/displays ...

Basically the 9000 is the BEST thing you can get in a 48 inch size, to get TRULY inky blacks you need a 9500 and that is 65 inches and larger.

AGAIN the blacks on the 9000 are GREAT in and of itself!

Congrats! I may be joining you soon. Something that I never would have considered before the price drops. I was intrigued by the quantum dot/nano-crystal tech, but the price was too high for me to care about it much. But now I'm considering going from the sweet spot of the entire lineup (6700) to the slightly better and much more expensive 7500, past what could be the new sweet spot (8500), all the way to the top. I hate you guys. And I hate Samsung for making the JS8500 and JS9000 so enticing via the price drops, because I thought that I was DONE swapping displays!

I will say though, that given how long these displays will be a viable solution (4K, HDR ready, quantum dot, upgradeable One Connect box, etc.), it really is pretty easy to justify. I'm way more comfortable spending $2k on a display that I can still be using 5 years from now than spending $2K on a GPU solution that I know I'll upgrade several times during that same period.

I basically walked the path you are on other than starting with the 7500 and I DO consider that to be the true sweetspot in the series! The glossy panel makes A WORLD of difference in clarity! Unless you hate glossy then the 6700 is the sweetspot hehe.

The colors do pop more on the SUHD displays than the UHD (nano crystals I suppose, quantum dots is the term for a very similar tech used by other manufacturers). I like the white balance more on the 9000 out of the box as well (I did not measure or calibrate either).

I really feel if you want something like a 40 inch then totally go for the 7500, it is trully amazing and since there is no 40 inch in the 8500 or 9000 series it is the BEST you can get in that size! If you are looking for a 48 inch then the 8500 is going to be a better picture than the 7500 and be $100 cheaper, this all becomes a larger impact if you watch any video on it as you can use the processing power of the tv to see those dark blacks and rich colors...

But the 9000 series still gets my vote as the $500 more (at this moment) gets you a curved display which is very nice at 48 inches and gives you that "I hope important" up gradable (to a new future box) one connect. So if you are going to use the display for a while you are hedging your bets that you will have the features you want and performance you want down the road.

Those are my thoughts on the matter.

I will be happy to help you with some settings ...

For starters "game label in sources" then all processing turned off other than Clear mode is GREAT for most every game ... since the last update even better (less lag) and it seems enabling and disabling 3d mode seems to make it even quicker???

Also using the 3d mode in games like Witcher 3 and SOM are awesome to try!

I really appreciate the help. I know I'll have more questions when I (hopefully) have it sitting on my desk Friday evening.

It's selfish, I know, but I'd love to take advantage of your experience to optimize the PQ as soon as it's out of the box. I will definitely pass the love forward once I'm up and running.

To this end, do you recommend the gaming mode over the PC mode? 3D mode? I thought the PQ suffered in exchange for the faster response times. Any special steps required to enable 4k/60Hz/4:4:4? Do I have to use the same renaming trick (i.e., to "PC")? How about AMP?

I really appreciate the help. I know I'll have more questions when I (hopefully) have it sitting on my desk Friday evening.

It's selfish, I know, but I'd love to take advantage of your experience to optimize the PQ as soon as it's out of the box. I will definitely pass the love forward once I'm up and running.

To this end, do you recommend the gaming mode over the PC mode? 3D mode? I thought the PQ suffered in exchange for the faster response times. Any special steps required to enable 4k/60Hz/4:4:4? Do I have to use the same renaming trick (i.e., to "PC")? How about AMP?

So pc mode looks great for colors and such and if I was doing a long desktop session with video or photo editing I would use it! But "game label not to be confused with game mode" but both of those actually have been improved to be almost as good with color as the PC mode :)

PC mode shuts out some of the processing options like clear mode etc but again for photo work I would use PC mode.

In sources menue you can choose what type of display it is there are options from PC to GAME to PC DVI and many others, I choose game which looks GREAT and then from there do 1 of 2 things.

1 is go into settings and go to the SYSTEM menue then to the GENERAL sub menu then I can toggle on GAME MODE for the lowest lag possible (the image will look like SHIT at first) it is only because the sharpness at 50 in this mode is way too high and needs to be turned down. On the 7500 it was good to turn down to 0 on this tv perhaps not quite 0 but I am around 15 at the moment... if it looks bad it is JUST the sharpness not the reduced chroma :).

2 is to have the "game mode" toggled off and to go into Picture menu then to clear mode. NOT LED CLEAR ....

LED CLEAR is strobbing, it gives a black frame in between the lit frames .... it is a little slow for my tastes and turns the brightness WAY DOWN and could give some people a headache :( ... it is clear but too many compromises in my opinion. I am refering to turning on the CLEAR preset the lowest level on frame interpolation.

Things stay bright and are smoothed out and still feel natural and the LAG introduced is pretty small and in most cases will be outweighed by the clarity gained ;)

I found after my update last night (while in clear mode) that the lag went from noticable "heavy feel to the mouse" to light and almost like the clear mode was not on !!! well I turned the TV off and on and it felt a little heavy again so I had a bright idea to toggle the 3d mode on then off and low and behold BAM it felt smooth and light again!

All I can say is it felt light and precise ALMOST like my old 120hz panels HEHE ... so I am sticking with CLEAR mode now as it is WAY WAY clearer than game mode and with the new firmware and my little "hack" it is smooth as can be and fast to. ENOUGH FOR BF4 in any case!

Other tips... turn of SMART LED just to be sure you keep lag low (heck turn it on and see if there is a difference for you"

Enable UHD color on the HDMI port you are using or you will not get 4:4:4 chroma.

Any more questions? or further clarification on what I said?

OH and Witcher 3 MAXED settings in 4k 3d is STUNNING!

The 3d conversion is not quite 3dvision level but it is a good 85%-95% as good and minimal lag inpit and no performance hit! I can only imagine what the ONE CONNECT box update in a year or 2 or 3 will do OMG ;)

That was perfect. Based on what you've provided, I'll definitely update to the latest firmware as soon as I have it connected to the PC.

One question: it sounds like I don't have to use the same "renaming trick" to get 4k/60Hz that others have described for their 6700/7500. Is this correct? Just enable UHD color?

I'll save additional questions until I have it on my desk. Thanks again!

That was perfect. Based on what you've provided, I'll definitely update to the latest firmware as soon as I have it connected to the PC.

One question: it sounds like I don't have to use the same "renaming trick" to get 4k/60Hz that others have described for their 6700/7500. Is this correct? Just enable UHD color?

I'll save additional questions until I have it on my desk. Thanks again!

That is only with the 6700 the 7500 does not need that "trick either"

Well on all of them you need to set it to "PC" in the Sources menu but not actually typing in the name. If that is what you mean than yes.

The Game preset and game modes will be reduced chroma but they doctored it in a way as to make it not noticable ... even in the chroma test the lines that are usually unreadable in anything under 444 chroma are readable just a little fuzzy looking. you will see soon enough :D

The picture quality:

It is not an OLED like display in dark scened and a dark room... The 9500 with full array local dimming is the one that compares to an OLED in that situation. Though in any other situation the blacks do look just as good on the 9000 as the 9500 ... edge lit LED's do not compare to full array for dark scenes and in dark rooms .. but the blacks are still nice in those settings just not INKY black.

Gotcha! Yes, this excerpt from the HDTVtest review of the European version seems to explain it pretty well:

"Where the FALD-equipped UE65JS9500 earned its keep was in low-APL scenes, especially those containing smaller areas of brighter elements against a dark backdrop. For example, Chapter 7 of Kill Bill: Vol 2 opens with a shot of a full moon just off the centre of the screen against the night sky. On the JS9000, the entire bottom right quadrant would light up however mildly (bringing some clouding into view); whereas the JS9500 would keep the section dimmed therefore improving perceived black-level response."

The One connect and one connect mini:

the 9500 and 9000 have the full sized "one connect"
The 8500 and 7500 have the "one connect mini"

Right now the hardware differences between the 2 are mainly octocore processor vs quad ... might make some of that clear motion processing add less lag (just a guess).

Oh! So the 4 vs. 8 core CPU thing that we've been comparing is in the One Connect boxes? I always assumed that the CPU responsible for all of the processing was in the TV (or are we talking about two different things here?).

In the future the differences are potentially HUGE:

The 9500 and 9000 have a full sized one connect and that is designed to be replaced with a whole new box each year for the next several years (if you are so inclined) giving you more processing power and new features (improved features) and I HOPE more input choices (though anything like a DP 1.3 with 120hz input would require the scalar to be in the one connect box and I have NO idea if that is the case).

The 7500 and 8500 have the one connect mini as I said and that is there to make less cable clutter behind your TV but does not have a hardware upgrade path, you got what you got sort of thing.

I got the 9000 over the 8500 in small part due to the curve but even more due to the ability to "I hope" decrease lag and improve features/inputs over time, keeping up with new tv's/displays ...

Basically the 9000 is the BEST thing you can get in a 48 inch size, to get TRULY inky blacks you need a 9500 and that is 65 inches and larger.

AGAIN the blacks on the 9000 are GREAT in and of itself!

I basically walked the path you are on other than starting with the 7500 and I DO consider that to be the true sweetspot in the series! The glossy panel makes A WORLD of difference in clarity! Unless you hate glossy then the 6700 is the sweetspot hehe.

The colors do pop more on the SUHD displays than the UHD (nano crystals I suppose, quantum dots is the term for a very similar tech used by other manufacturers). I like the white balance more on the 9000 out of the box as well (I did not measure or calibrate either).

I really feel if you want something like a 40 inch then totally go for the 7500, it is trully amazing and since there is no 40 inch in the 8500 or 9000 series it is the BEST you can get in that size! If you are looking for a 48 inch then the 8500 is going to be a better picture than the 7500 and be $100 cheaper, this all becomes a larger impact if you watch any video on it as you can use the processing power of the tv to see those dark blacks and rich colors...

Yeah, that was kind of a slap in the face to see the 48JS8500 for $100 less than I paid for the 48JU7500! I realize that it's flat instead of curved, but the actual panel tech is better for less money...alrighty then. Not that I'm complaining, but if I wasn't in a position to return, I'd be pretty disheartened for sure!

But the 9000 series still gets my vote as the $500 more (at this moment) gets you a curved display which is very nice at 48 inches and gives you that "I hope important" up gradable (to a new future box) one connect. So if you are going to use the display for a while you are hedging your bets that you will have the features you want and performance you want down the road.

Those are my thoughts on the matter.

Thank you very much!! I added some responses in orange.

I hear ya. I don't mind all the head space these transitions take up as I find them at the least interesting and sometimes fun. I'm so thankful my wife is understanding, of course she now has the 48" 6700...!

I am really looking forward to just enjoying and not worrying about what might work, etc. I briefly considered triple 40's but I really like the immersion of the 48, and triple 48's are too big and not necessary for what I would use the sides for - not that it wouldn't be cool... Ugh!

Haha, the wife factor comes into play yet again. Glad Honeydew was able to get his (upgraded) purchase approved by the family "accountant"! :D

Triple 40's would be awesome indeed, but you're limited to non-JS, non quantum dot models in that scenario (not that it still wouldn't be a very impressive setup). Triple 48's is...insane, and although at first I thought that I'd prefer a symmetrical setup, I actually like the way your 48" JS9000 looks in the middle, flanked by the two smaller 40JU6700's. Like you said, that way you get big immersion on the main screen and two smaller monitors for side content. Matching the sizes across all 3 displays is only really important if you're trying to game in Surround/Eyefinity or work with content that spans across all 3 screens. If you're only gaming on the center one, your setup is perfect.

Thank you very much!! I added some responses in orange.

To be clear the CPU 8 core and 4 core are in the box. So the 9000 and 9500 can be upgraded ... the 8500 and 7500 will always have the same 4 core.

I REALLY hope the scalar is in the box and thus we might maybe see DP 1.3 and some faster refresh rates/adaptice sync in future boxes hehe

So pc mode looks great for colors and such and if I was doing a long desktop session with video or photo editing I would use it! But "game label not to be confused with game mode" but both of those actually have been improved to be almost as good with color as the PC mode :)

PC mode shuts out some of the processing options like clear mode etc but again for photo work I would use PC mode.

In sources menue you can choose what type of display it is there are options from PC to GAME to PC DVI and many others, I choose game which looks GREAT and then from there do 1 of 2 things.

1 is go into settings and go to the SYSTEM menue then to the GENERAL sub menu then I can toggle on GAME MODE for the lowest lag possible (the image will look like SHIT at first) it is only because the sharpness at 50 in this mode is way too high and needs to be turned down. On the 7500 it was good to turn down to 0 on this tv perhaps not quite 0 but I am around 15 at the moment... if it looks bad it is JUST the sharpness not the reduced chroma :).

2 is to have the "game mode" toggled off and to go into Picture menu then to clear mode. NOT LED CLEAR ....

LED CLEAR is strobbing, it gives a black frame in between the lit frames .... it is a little slow for my tastes and turns the brightness WAY DOWN and could give some people a headache :( ... it is clear but too many compromises in my opinion. I am refering to turning on the CLEAR preset the lowest level on frame interpolation.

Things stay bright and are smoothed out and still feel natural and the LAG introduced is pretty small and in most cases will be outweighed by the clarity gained ;)

I found after my update last night (while in clear mode) that the lag went from noticable "heavy feel to the mouse" to light and almost like the clear mode was not on !!! well I turned the TV off and on and it felt a little heavy again so I had a bright idea to toggle the 3d mode on then off and low and behold BAM it felt smooth and light again!

All I can say is it felt light and precise ALMOST like my old 120hz panels HEHE ... so I am sticking with CLEAR mode now as it is WAY WAY clearer than game mode and with the new firmware and my little "hack" it is smooth as can be and fast to. ENOUGH FOR BF4 in any case!

Other tips... turn of SMART LED just to be sure you keep lag low (heck turn it on and see if there is a difference for you"

Enable UHD color on the HDMI port you are using or you will not get 4:4:4 chroma.

OH and Witcher 3 MAXED settings in 4k 3d is STUNNING!

The 3d conversion is not quite 3dvision level but it is a good 85%-95% as good and minimal lag inpit and no performance hit! I can only imagine what the ONE CONNECT box update in a year or 2 or 3 will do OMG ;)

This is a great post for both new and existing owners. Very helpful, and similar to how I use mine. I would like to discuss a couple of things.

First...ever since discovering the AMP feature on my JU7500, I have been using the TV with option #2 above (that is, to set the input type to Game, NOT enable Game mode under System -> General, and then enable Auto Motion Plus. I did try enabling LED Clear Motion (black frame insertion?) and found that although games were fluid, the screen was way too dark for my liking. I think that LED Clear Motion can only be enabled by setting the AMP level to Custom, correct?

So then I tried each of the 3 AMP presets: Clear, Standard, and Smooth. I am not sure what settings are applied between each of the three, but for me, Standard and Smooth really make a difference where Clear doesn't as much. If you have time, do the following test.

First, make your browser full screen (or close to it). Go into your TV settings and make sure AMP is disabled. Go to page 80 of this thread where I posted another member's pics that depict the (non) difference in image quality between PC and Game mode. If you don't have 40 posts per page enabled in your forum settings, then these pics should be on page 160 of the thread as you're likely only viewing 20ppp. A setting of 40ppp works best for what I'm about to ask you to test, as you're then able to do more vertical scrolling.

Got it? OK. Start at the top of that page and hold the down arrow on your keyboard until you reach the bottom of the page. Then hold the up arrow and scroll back up to the top. As the text scrolls vertically, it should look kind of stuttery or jerky, with a trailing image (normal behavior for most monitors). Now, go into your TV menu and set AMP to Standard or Smooth and repeat that test. Watch how the set "locks on" to the motion and the images and text that scroll by are perfectly smooth with no more jerkiness or trailing images! That is AMP in full effect baby, and it should work wonderfully for games, too.

So here's what I wanted to bring up...when I set my AMP level to Clear as you said that you do, I still get the jerky/ghosting scrolling text and images. It's not until I enable Standard or Smooth that the tech really seems to be working. Let me know your findings.

Also, if I set device type to Game and enable Game mode (thus disabling AMP), the image quality on my set looks great...like you said, it has been improved to the point that it's almost on par with PC mode (aside from red text which is noticeably fuzzier).

But if I set device type to Game and disable Game mode in order to use AMP, the image quality is noticeably worse. It's usable, but not nearly as good and it's obvious that something is "off". I don't mind this in games because it's not as noticeable and the benefits of AMP should far outweigh it, but the deteriorated image quality on the desktop is very apparent. I've been using it that way regardless, but it's nowhere near the image quality and fidelity of PC mode or Game mode. Is that your experience as well? If not, maybe I need to do a reset of the TV because I don't recall the image looking like this except in Game mode prior to firmware 1207 that brought the stellar improvements to image quality. If you're getting "new Game mode" image quality with Game mode disabled and AMP enabled, then something is off with my setup.

Alright, the last thing that I want to ask about is the paragraph you wrote regarding lag and the "trick" you used to reset it. You said that with Clear mode enabled, the lag went from heavy to light, and then returned to heavy once you turned the TV off and on. This is the opposite of what another member claimed, where he said he felt that the lag increased the longer the TV was on. In that case, I believe the "fix" was disabling Instant ON (maybe something else; it's been pages ago).

To be clear, I'm not disputing what you felt at all. But more curious as to why the lag would start out heavier, after a fresh boot of the TV/OS, and then go lighter (unless there was some processing/multitasking going on in the background that finished running?). How much time would you say it took to clear up from heavier to lighter? And any idea why toggling 3D mode on and then off would clear it up? I don't know how in the world you stumbled up on that haha, but it's good to know in case I ever experience it! So far, I haven't felt any lag increases OR decreases while using my 6700 & 7500 in any modes.

Sorry for the long post, but you seem to know a lot about these and this information is really helpful!

Last edited:
This is a great post for both new and existing owners. Very helpful, and similar to how I use mine. I would like to discuss a couple of things.

First...ever since discovering the AMP feature on my JU7500, I have been using the TV with option #2 above (that is, to set the input type to Game, NOT enable Game mode under System -> General, and then enable Auto Motion Plus. I did try enabling LED Clear Motion (black frame insertion?) and found that although games were fluid, the screen was way too dark for my liking. I think that LED Clear Motion can only be enabled by setting the AMP level to Custom, correct?

So then I tried each of the 3 AMP presets: Clear, Standard, and Smooth. I am not sure what settings are applied between each of the three, but for me, Standard and Smooth really make a difference where Clear doesn't as much. If you have time, do the following test.

First, make your browser full screen (or close to it). Go into your TV settings and make sure AMP is disabled. Go to page 80 of this thread where I posted another member's pics that depict the (non) difference in image quality between PC and Game mode. If you don't have 40 posts per page enabled in your forum settings, then these pics should be on page 160 of the thread as you're likely only viewing 20ppp. A setting of 40ppp works best for what I'm about to ask you to test, as you're then able to do more vertical scrolling).

Got it? OK. Start at the top of that page and hold the down arrow on your keyboard until you reach the bottom of the page. Then hold the up arrow and scroll back up to the top. As the text scrolls vertically, it should look kind of stuttery or jerky, with a trailing image (normal behavior for most monitors). Now, go into your TV menu and set AMP to Standard or Smooth and repeat that test. Watch how the set "locks on" to the motion and the images and text that scroll by are perfectly smooth with no more jerkiness or trailing images! That is AMP in full effect baby, and it should work wonderfully for games, too.

So here's what I wanted to bring up...when I set my AMP level to Clear as you said that you do, I still get the jerky/ghosting scrolling text and images. It's not until I enable Standard or Smooth that the tech really seems to be working. Let me know your findings.

Also, if I set input type to Game and enable Game mode (thus disabling AMP), the image quality on my set looks great...like you said, it has been improved to the point that it's almost on par with PC mode (aside from red text which is noticeably fuzzier).

But if I set input type to Game mode and disable Game mode in order to use AMP, the image quality is noticeably worse. It's usable, but not nearly as good and it's obvious that something is "off". I don't mind this in games because it's not as noticeable and the benefits of AMP should far outweigh it, but the deteriorated image quality on the desktop is very apparent. I've been using it that way regardless, but it's nowhere near the image quality and fidelity of PC mode or Game mode. Is that your experience as well? If not, maybe I need to do a reset of the TV because I don't recall the image looking like this except in Game mode prior to firmware 1207 that brought the stellar improvements to image quality. If you're getting "new Game mode" image quality with Game mode disabled and AMP enabled, then something is off with my setup.

Alright, the last thing that I want to ask about is the paragraph you wrote regarding lag and the "trick" you used to reset it. You said that with Clear mode enabled, the lag went from heavy to light, and then returned to heavy once you turned the TV off and on. This is the opposite of what another member claimed, where he said he felt that the lag increased the longer the TV was on. In that case, I believe the "fix" was disabling Instant ON (maybe something else; it's been pages ago).

To be clear, I'm not disputing what you felt at all. But more curious as to why the lag would start out heavier, after a fresh boot of the TV/OS, and then go lighter (unless there was some processing/multitasking going on in the background that finished running?). How much time would you say it took to clear up from heavier to lighter? And any idea how in the world toggling 3D mode on and then off would clear it up? I don't know how in the world you stumbled up on that haha, but it's good to know in case I ever experience it! So far, I haven't felt any lag increases OR decreases while using my 6700 & 7500 in any modes.

Sorry for the long post, but you seem to know a lot about these and this information is really helpful!

I will answer you in more detail later this afternoon.

A few points:

1: yes I get the trailing especially of dark words on white backround , the 7500 did it and this 9000 does it but to a lesser extent (I found that out day one). That is in clear mode only just like you say!

2. I have used the standard and smooth in the past on the 7500 but found the lag seemed a little higher and though smoother the motions seemed less natural ... seems a little off to my eyes. (7500 not 9000 and not with newest firmware) I need to try that.

3. Honestly there might me some loss of image quality on the "game input" and game mode off but it is so smooth on desktop that I like it ... but I do switch to PC input or even full on game mode on the desktop at times... depending on what I am doing, I do think you need to check your color and sharpness settings tho as they seem to be calabrated differently in the different modes. Like 50 sharpness on full game mode not being the same as 50 on other modes.

4. I turn my tv clear off most of the time and have instant on off and even pull the plug between uses. It was simply a before and after update difference ... I was only using the tv in BF4 for maybe 15-20 minuted before the updated started ... I sat there it rebooted and bam as fast in clear mode as game mode felt ... after 30 -50 minutes of gaming I took a risk and power cycled the tv and when it came back on it felt good but not as good as before I power cycled the tv. So much better than before the update but not as smooth as I wanted. So I fipped 3d mode on and off and behold. It felt like the mouse was more accurate on desktop and in game , less lag less weight more precise, less jumpy.

It felt closer to 120hz than 60 hz in terms of the precision and the lightness. It could be some sort of 120hz refresh forced on in the panel (not input but refresh, my guess) or forcing a purging of memory. But with smart everything off how much was there to purge in 15 minutes.

Could be some quirk in the firmware whose mechanism I do not yet understand.

I will boot up and try my "hack" with standard and clear and see what happens hehe.
feel free to ask anything or bring up points I should clarity further

Thanks supermi, I look forward to more detail in your findings. Anyone else, feel free to chime in especially regarding what AMP settings work best for you and your image quality with device type = Game and Game mode disabled. It seems there is still much to learn about and discover with these (and we've barely scratched the surface regarding the JS series). Exciting stuff!

Yeah we do need to keep in mind there could be differences between the JS9000 and JS8000 and JU7500 not just due to panels themselves but the different harware in the one connect boxes.

Just booted up... feels pretty snappy already we shall see how testing goes

Also why does it seem like Dynamic Contrast or one of the energy saving (eco sensor?) features is enabled when I clearly have all of that stuff turned off? My screen brightness seems to be automatically adjusting itself gradually, depending on what is on screen (I was just in an all-white Amazon chat window and the screen got dimmer). Does that happen when AMP is on?

My screen got pretty dim last night while playing GTA V, but I assumed it was because I had messed up and left LED Clear Motion enabled. Pretty sure I was just running AMP Standard or Smooth, though.

Can anyone recommend some settings on the 6700? I'm using PC mode, with the eco stuff turned off, UHD on, etc - wondering if I am missing anything. Going back through the thread and lots of discoveries/changes with firmwares. Little confused on whats optimal now. I'm on 1215 firmware.

Also why does it seem like Dynamic Contrast or one of the energy saving (eco sensor?) features is enabled when I clearly have all of that stuff turned off? My screen brightness seems to be automatically adjusting itself gradually, depending on what is on screen (I was just in an all-white Amazon chat window and the screen got dimmer). Does that happen when AMP is on?

My screen got pretty dim last night while playing GTA V, but I assumed it was because I had messed up and left LED Clear Motion enabled. Pretty sure I was just running AMP Standard or Smooth, though.

I noticed that on my JS9000 - was watching Daredevil in 4k on Netflix and it was so dark. I started upping the brightness level to compensate and then BAM! whatever dimming it was doing was gone and I re-adjusted my brightness and back light down to their normal settings and have not seen the behavior since (2 days ago).

Something to keep an eye out for.

Did I say I love these blacks? I mean not local full array dimming BUT DAMN FINE BLACKS!
Was doing some testing, need to do some more.... but all fun and ALL looking great! I got kinda caught up in 3d gaming OH MY!

7090 is 3D, higher Backlight refresh rate and suppose to have a better scaler chip for upscaling 1080 content to 4K.

And much more :)
7090 has a better image ( contrast, brightness, backlight, black level )

What is the difference between JU7100 and JU6500? The former is advertised to have "Precision Black." It looks like both have dimming technology, so I don't know what the hell that even means.

What is the difference between JU7100 and JU6500? The former is advertised to have "Precision Black." It looks like both have dimming technology, so I don't know what the hell that even means.

To answer your first question, there are several differences but most of them aren't THAT huge, IMO (unless you want 3D).

As far as Precision Black, where are you seeing that? I don't see it on the specs list on the Samsung website.

I'd be willing to be that it's one of the many small features that differentiates the 7xxx series from the 6xxx series. Based on my experience with the 6700 and 7500, it's most likely a subtle difference.

For example, 7xxx has a glossy screen while 6xxx has a semi-gloss screen.
7xxx has three levels of motion smoothing while 6xxx has two, etc.

Whatever you do, don't bother asking a Samsung rep as they have proven to be most unhelpful. Near the beginning of the thread, we weren't sure what the difference between the "Ultra Clear" and the "Ultra Clear Pro" panels were. Samsung rep said they were probably the same thing. They weren't...it was an entirely different coating which has a noticeable effect on image quality and the way light is reflected.

Which panel type would you recommend between glossy screen and semi-gloss screen ?
Main purpose - computer monitor, never as a tv
I selected a few models, Samsung 6 serie, and tried to compare with the 7100
Do you think is worth 300 - 400 $ more for the 7100 ?
Let's give an example : we have 2 displays, same specs, same size.
One is glossy screen and the other one semi-gloss screen. Same room, same lights, dark, same video driver settings, same OSD settings, whatever
Which one would look better ?

Which panel type would you recommend between glossy screen and semi-gloss screen ?
Main purpose - computer monitor, never as a tv
I selected a few models, Samsung 6 serie, and tried to compare with the 7100
Do you think is worth 300 - 400 $ more for the 7100 ?
Let's give an example : we have 2 displays, same specs, same size.
One is glossy screen and the other one semi-gloss screen. Same room, same lights, dark, same video driver settings, same OSD settings, whatever
Which one would look better ?

Depends on your $$$ situation for one. Besides that your preference for glossy.

If you love glossy then yes if you hate it then no LOL, is really that simple.
Glossy is gonna give better picture quality but can introduce reflections, you pick which you care about.

but the 7100 is giving more than a different panel I believe it is 120hz right? basically a 7500 but flat, it is a different beast than the 6700 series.

but the 7100 is giving more than a different panel I believe it is 120hz right? basically a 7500 but flat, it is a different beast than the 6700 series.

120hz, could be, but connected to my graphic card ( GTX 980 ) i won't get more than 60Hz, do i ?

Back