New Samsung 4k for everyone.

I think I may have found a possible (this is only a theory) culprit for what could be causing the lag.

I tried two things. I noticed that smarthub was turning on automatically when the TV came on. So I shut that off. Two... people are reporting that the lag gets worse and worse over time with the panel being on. So I had a thought. These tv's are basically really weak computers with a monitor built in. The have processors and ram, and run a rudimentary "OS" in a sense. So, I thought about old PCs and how they would bog down if you don't restart them. So I gave it a try, I tured off instant on (samsungs way of not making the software reboot, but going into a hibernation) and turned off auto start on smart hub...

My ghosting and lag seem to be better! I know this should not affect ghosting in theory, but it seems to as well as input lag by a great bit.

I know this seems random, it could possibly be a number of things since I made so many changes. But I just thought it may be worth a shot. FYI I have it set up as DVI PC and use a true dvi to hdmi cable as well. 444 not game mode uhd enabled 4k

I never set up SmartHub on my 7500; maybe that is why I haven't noticed any of these lag issues that you guys have been talking about. I just assumed that I was less sensitive to input lag than others. My 6700 and 7500 have always felt good to me. I can detect a little more lag in PC mode, but it's still very tolerable. I primarily use Game mode though, since it looks virtually identical to PC mode when not viewing red text, and Samsung reduced the lag through recent firmware updates.

So this issue doesn't affect me, but if SmartHub does contribute to the lag some users are experiencing then that sucks because doesn't that mean if you disable SmartHub that you won't be able to use apps like Netflix, etc.? Which is fine if you're using this ONLY as a monitor, but anyone who uses it for a TV or streaming device will probably want the extra functionality enabled. And to further complicate things, for those of you wanting to stay on the stock firmware, how would you use the apps on the TV that require internet connectivity, yet ensure that the TV doesn't update itself (since disabling Auto-Update doesn't seem to actually disable it)?

I'm just glad that I'm happy with the new firmware. I can't imagine discovering that the stock firmware was vastly superior in terms of lag, and then going through the huge hassle of exchanging my updated TV with another one from Crutchfield, and then trying to keep it on the stock firmware, and then discovering 6 months down the road that I goofed up and connected it to the internet for some reason and it updated. I feel for you guys who are only happy with the stock firmware and trying to stay on it indefinitely. It seems like you sacrifice a lot in order to do so.

What input are you using for DVI PC? Are you using #2 like coolhand? I can't remember which one Nitemare is using. I still don't understand if there is any difference between input 1 and 2 when using Device Type = DVI PC. :confused:

First thing I did when I got both TVs was disable any and all TV-related stuff including SH. Wonder if that's why I haven't had any issues with input lag. But, sounds like I better check it to see if it somehow re-enabled itself with a FW update.

My 7500 arrives tomorrow. I only want to use it as a monitor. I'll stream anything through my PC, not the TV. If it has a built-in digital tuner, I might attach an antenna for OTA HD, but nothing more than that.

So this issue doesn't affect me, but if SmartHub does contribute to the lag some users are experiencing then that sucks because doesn't that mean if you disable SmartHub that you won't be able to use apps like Netflix, etc.? Which is fine if you're using this ONLY as a monitor, but anyone who uses it for a TV or streaming device will probably want the extra functionality enabled. And to further complicate things, for those of you wanting to stay on the stock firmware, how would you use the apps on the TV that require internet connectivity, yet ensure that the TV doesn't update itself (since disabling Auto-Update doesn't seem to actually disable it)?

I believe (but not positive), that not enabling SmartHub means SmartHub isn't loaded up at the beginning when you turn on the TV. Also, quick on means that it goes to "sleep" rather than fully power down. It then load the OS each time you power on. So if I'm right, you can still use SmartHub, it just needs to load it the first time you click the SmartHub button. Also, without quick on, the TV power down each time, totally flushing the memory (which could be the cause of the slow down). I suspect it's a bug in the firmware based on the evidence so far because it sounds like some sort of memory leak (slower the longer it's on, ala Windows since Win95). If that's the case, it should be fixed eventually.

My 7500 arrives tomorrow. I only want to use it as a monitor. I'll stream anything through my PC, not the TV. If it has a built-in digital tuner, I might attach an antenna for OTA HD, but nothing more than that.

The TV portion (SmartHub or any non Game or PC/DVI PC mode) is clearly superior for videos, even when streaming the same videos. The Samsung has a great scaler and video processor, if you're into using it for movies and videos at all.

I said it's a "hassle" because I bought an LG 40UB800V which is 40 inch, 4k and uses a VA panel that had hdmi 2.0. But I didn't know that the 4:2:0 chroma subsampling would look that bad. I couldn't look at the screen without my eyes burning and there was some stuff that wasn't even distinguishable due to the 4:2:0 problem. Also every movement seemed lagy and the mouse looked like it was moving at 30 fps and with lag, even though 60 fps was enabled. When I opened my games up, the TV would start to flicker black and green for about 10-15 seconds before finally managing to display the game. So I guess that's why I have this preconceived idea that buying another TV would bring back the awful experience I had with the LG, that "hassle".

There is no hassle with these new Samsung 4k tvs, setup UHD color on and none of those issues happen :)

Its an awsome, awsome display!!

Does anyone have an ICC profile of a calibrated 6500k yet??? Prefereably for pc mode or game mode?

I wish i could see IPS vs VA on the same time, but not on Youtube
Which panel you think, has better / more natural / vivid colors ? I will use it only as a monitor ( 80 % for gaming )
I don't care about the viewing angles, at all
I know, VA panels have better black
Thank you

Which panel you think, has better / more natural / vivid colors ? I will use it only as a monitor ( 80 % for gaming )

If you don't care about viewing angles, you've pretty much already answered your own question.
VA has better blacks and slightly better response time for gaming.

I don't enjoy IPS glow, but I truly can't stand any positional color shift, so I reluctantly prefer IPS panels over VA and vastly over TN.

To the person who asked, if you disable smart-hub, it is one button press to turn it on! Very easy to do. When you consider these are not super computers (much like our bad ass PCs :cool: ) It makes sense they may lag with all that running. You can simply turn on smart-hub whenever you want it.

I too would love to hear a good calibrated profile!!! I am shocked no one is talking about that!

Has anyone noticed it has been a while since new firmware... here is hoping!

There is no hassle with these new Samsung 4k tvs, setup UHD color on and none of those issues happen :)

Its an awsome, awsome display!!

Does anyone have an ICC profile of a calibrated 6500k yet??? Prefereably for pc mode or game mode?

Warm 2 out of the box is pretty calibrated when I compared images against a BenQ designer monitor. Unless you're doing professional color work, I wouldn't worry about calibration and just use what makes you happy.

Thank you

Viewing angles are so-so. But using it as a monitor, you should be right in front of it and not have any issues. Color shift is pretty minimal with a curved panel.

Oh Just a heads up.

If you are watching movies, don't just do it through your PC with say VLC or other media players.

Make sure you setup Plex Media Server and go through the set ... the picture looks amazing and it's def worth the effort.

Colors pop, 120hz and it's rendered in 4k .... looks 10x better than just using a media player

Oh Just a heads up.

If you are watching movies, don't just do it through your PC with say VLC or other media players.

Make sure you setup Plex Media Server and go through the set ... the picture looks amazing and it's def worth the effort.

Colors pop, 120hz and it's rendered in 4k .... looks 10x better than just using a media player

How is that better than just playing locally from the PC? I just watched a movie with it set to normal TV mode, enabled some post processing effects, limited the RGB range, and it looked fantastic.

Thank you

I also have the Acer B326HK 4K IPS and the color on the Samsung blows it away. I play Neverwinter and you always get dark/low light area in Dungeon. On the Samsung, you get a lot more detail in the dark area. I can pick out the faint color difference for traps much easier. If you ever compare the black level of a non local dimming LCD and a good plasma TV. You will see the same difference between the VA and IPS. The easiest way to explain it is that VA looks more like a good plasma then any IPS panel ever would.

Oh Just a heads up.

Can you go into more detail on how to set this up?

I also have the Acer B326HK 4K IPS and the color on the Samsung blows it away. I play Neverwinter and you always get dark/low light area in Dungeon. On the Samsung, you get a lot more detail in the dark area. I can pick out the faint color difference for traps much easier. If you ever compare the black level of a non local dimming LCD and a good plasma TV. You will see the same difference between the VA and IPS. The easiest way to explain it is that VA looks more like a good plasma then any IPS panel ever would.

which Samsung are you talking about ?

How is that better than just playing locally from the PC? I just watched a movie with it set to normal TV mode, enabled some post processing effects, limited the RGB range, and it looked fantastic.

It should be the same. I think his reasoning was that most would be using PC or Game mode
So video would look worse. If you switch to a regular input then video should look better with processing, but it's a pain to keep switching back and forth.

Can you go into more detail on how to set this up?

Plex app is not out for Tizen yet. A workaround is to install a DLNA server (plex server works as DLNA, windows also have a it built in), then use the Smarthub DLNA viewer to play your videos. Smarthub is regular TV mode which will look better than viewing from PC mode.

Yup. Gamers are so used to gamma sliders in games because of crushed blacks on LCDs. Plasma was king of Image quality for a long while because of its great contrast ratio. VA is like gaming on a plasma without the image retention. People used to pick IPS for color and VA for contrast. Now they can get both in one panel. Unfortunately, people still believe IPS is the best tech due to its superiority over the last 5 years.

Yup. Gamers are so used to gamma sliders in games because of crushed blacks on LCDs. Plasma was king of Image quality for a long while because of its great contrast ratio. VA is like gaming on a plasma without the image retention. People used to pick IPS for color and VA for contrast. Now they can get both in one panel. Unfortunately, people still believe IPS is the best tech due to its superiority over the last 5 years.

I'm no LCD expert by a long shot but as I understand it the thing that hurt VA panels is the horrible input lag that monitors based on it usually have.

I'm no LCD expert by a long shot but as I understand it the thing that hurt VA panels is the horrible input lag that monitors based on it usually have.

What ? No, the panel type has hardly anything to do with lag.

No the main issue with VA panels, despite the big progress made these past years with OD bringing them close to IPS response times, is that those still have some slow pixel transitions remaining.
Typically happens in the very contrasted areas (black <> white) leaving a perceptible dark trail during fast movement where IPS or TN wouldn't, or much, much less.

What ? No, the panel type has hardly anything to do with lag.

No the main issue with VA panels, despite the big progress made these past years with OD bringing them close to IPS response times, is that those still have some slow pixel transitions remaining.
Typically happens in the very contrasted areas (black <> white) leaving a perceptible dark trail during fast movement where IPS or TN wouldn't, or much, much less.

I didn't think it was the panel specifically, just more the implementation of them.

So if modern day VA panels are improved and near equal to IPS, what are the drawbacks aside from color shift? I've been an IPS snob for many years, but am willing to change. :p

I still think the colors on my HP Z30i IPS are better than my JU7500... Does it bother me? Not really, once I tweaked some things.

So if modern day VA panels are improved and near equal to IPS, what are the drawbacks aside from color shift? I've been an IPS snob for many years, but am willing to change. :p

Well, the specific one the Samsung looks great. However, that's not a blanket statement for all VA panels. Aren't you the one ordering both the BL3201PT and the 7 series? Why not compare it for yourself? Set the proper RGB or YCBCR444, increase the contrast in the Nvidia panel until you're happy with the colors, clarity. Then play a game with dark scenes and compare.

There's hardly any color shift when I use it normally, so to me it's really overblown. Even the LG IPS panel look awful at 38 and beyond degrees. They all shift at an angle. The IPS darkens, whereas the VA fades. The IPS has a wider angle than the VA before it shifts.

LG IPS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A93d_dC86XY

Samsung VA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A61V0cTFxTE

The IPS is superior if you plan to use your monitor at a 30 degree angle all the time though. ;)

I still think the colors on my HP Z30i IPS are better than my JU7500... Does it bother me? Not really, once I tweaked some things.

That's a $1300 professional IPS that covers 100% sRGB and 99% Adobe RGB. Of course the Samsung can't compete. :eek:

That's a $1300 professional IPS that covers 100% sRGB and 99% Adobe RGB. Of course the Samsung can't compete. :eek:

:)

Yeah, it is a great monitor - part of my initial issues "adapting" to a TV display. I'll pass on it's hella IPS glow though.

Biggest issue as far as shift is the center 6" horizontal dark band through the middle JU7500. It goes away immediately if I sit an extra 8"-10" back, which I should do be doing anyway. I find myself sitting WAY too close to any monitor I use.

:)

Yeah, it is a great monitor - part of my initial issues "adapting" to a TV display. I'll pass on it's hella IPS glow though.

Biggest issue as far as shift is the center 6" horizontal dark band through the middle JU7500. It goes away immediately if I sit an extra 8"-10" back, which I should do be doing anyway. I find myself sitting WAY too close to any monitor I use.

What horizontal band is this? I don't see it on my 7100.

I think that colors on an IPS are still regarded as superior to VA, but very few IPS panels that I've owned have approached VA contrast and black levels. My two 34" ultrawide monitors were better in that regard than any of the 30" Dells that I owned and were the most visually pleasing IPS panels that I've seen, but modern VA panels are very very good.

I tend to prefer VA these days because I'll gladly give up some color accuracy for blacker blacks and no IPS glow. :) I can enjoy both IPS and VA, and like you said, with some tweaking it is easy to live with anything that's not a TN.

What horizontal band is this? I don't see it on my 7100.

It was there on the 6500 too - just the shift when sitting too close (like 12" away.) A non-issue as nobody sits that close. Get a dark blue fullscreen background and move into the center about 12" away. The center section of the display darkens. Again, a non-issue. Not trying to create one here.

Wiz33, how is the size of 40 inches, compared to the 32 one?
I also have the Benq BL3200PT
Im undecided between 40 and 43 inch, ips or va
Would that be a noticeable difference from 32 to 40 inch?

hey guys thinking og getting this would it work well as a monitor? ive not read all the pages as there is so many
i want it for gameing i have a 32inch Ben Q ips 4k going to change it as it got problems
flashing glitch down the screen maybe twice a day really annoying

thaink of getting this as a replace ment

It should be the same. I think his reasoning was that most would be using PC or Game mode
So video would look worse. If you switch to a regular input then video should look better with processing, but it's a pain to keep switching back and forth.

Plex app is not out for Tizen yet. A workaround is to install a DLNA server (plex server works as DLNA, windows also have a it built in), then use the Smarthub DLNA viewer to play your videos. Smarthub is regular TV mode which will look better than viewing from PC mode.

So it's a pain to switch modes (source > select source > OK) and launching into the Smart TV mode and navigating all that crap isn't? LOL

I wouldn't call it color shift... more of a contrast/gamma shift. And it's impossible to notice unless you're specifically moving around looking for it, especially in games. VA still probably has slightly slower pixel response time, but other than that, I'd say there is no draw back.

Personally I'd stick with IPS for fast games, and office work/reading.

But for everything else once you've tasted a good VA it's hard to go back.

So it's a pain to switch modes (source > select source > OK) and launching into the Smart TV mode and navigating all that crap isn't? LOL

Yes it is. Changing input is one thing, then you have to go in and change the colors, contrast, black settings, color mode, AMP mode, etc. until you get it back to how you like your videos. There are tons of settings for TV beyond switching input. However, if you enjoy doing that each time to watch video, more power to you.

Been messing around with my new 7500 all afternoon. One big problem: there's no way to get it on my desk where it's more than 18-20 inches from my face. I didn't expect the 40" to be as big as it is. :eek:

The 32" BenQ 4K I ordered won't be here until next week. I don't know if it'll fit on my desk, either.

This sux.

On a positive note, I really like the curved screen. Even if the Sammy doesn't work as a monitor for me, I think my next main TV is going to be a curved screen.

Been messing around with my new 7500 all afternoon. One big problem: there's no way to get it on my desk where it's more than 18-20 inches from my face. I didn't expect the 40" to be as big as it is. :eek:

The 32" BenQ 4K I ordered won't be here until next week. I don't know if it'll fit on my desk, either.

This sux.

On a positive note, I really like the curved screen. Even if the Sammy doesn't work as a monitor for me, I think my next main TV is going to be a curved screen.

First world problems. :p Seriously, though, your spending priority is all wrong if your desk is not deep enough for 3 ft of desk space.

^^ Not really. I was perfectly satisfied with my 27" monitor before I read about these new, more affordable 32" and 40" 4K models. I made the mistake of convincing myself I needed a bigger monitor. Not giving up, but definitely have to do some creative thinking to solve this little problem.

Back