New Samsung 4k for everyone.

Zarathustra[H];1041745049 said:
What makes you think more recent firmware is going to give you MORE input lag?

My input lag has only become better and better with each firmware upgrade.

Early in the thread there were lots of people posting that the ju6500 input lag increases a lot for pc input at 444 if you upgrade from the factory version (mine is 1005). People posted it was fixed in game mode but still overall slower in 444.

Early in the thread there were lots of people posting that the ju6500 input lag increases a lot for pc input at 444 if you upgrade from the factory version (mine is 1005). People posted it was fixed in game mode but still overall slower in 444.

Everything I read from the beginning of the thread the firmware showed improvement from 1207 forward IIRC.

Yeah... I am really curious to see what the current firmware numbers are. Oh and btw... I am one of the people that jumped ship from a 50" ju6500 to the 48" js8500.... Loving it so far. If you are curious, feel free to ask I will answer questions.

Yeah... I am really curious to see what the current firmware numbers are. Oh and btw... I am one of the people that jumped ship from a 50" ju6500 to the 48" js8500.... Loving it so far. If you are curious, feel free to ask I will answer questions.

Yes. According to the first post in this thread, the js8500 US version is singled out for some reason as having much higher lag. Is that accurate or is that old news? Also, does the non curve on a 48 seem like a negative?

Question about inputlag :
does the " COLOUR " option increase the inputlag, if set a higher number ?
thank you

Been following this thread now for some time. Can any JU7500 owners tell me how gaming is on this?, Just waiting on the Nvidia bundle to get the 980Ti and then get the 40". Edited due to ridiculous statement :)

Last edited:
Been following this thread now for some time. Can any JU7500 owners tell me how gaming is on this?, I read that there is screen tearing unless you enable vsync but then the fps drops. Just waiting on the Nvidia bundle to get the 980Ti and then get the 40"
I have the 65" JU7500 and love the gaming on it, although I opt to use AMP + Game Source rather than full game mode. Everything looks silky smooth. Tearing is not apparent on most titles, but can be seen now and again on one of my games, ARMA3, all the others are fine with vSync off... this was the same on my previous 4K and 2560x1440 screens and the ultra-wide ones too... and some of the early 1080p/1200p ones too.. it's game specific not screen specific IMHO. I don't notice any input lag either in this mode :), but I am old!

I read that there is screen tearing unless you enable vsync but then the fps drops.

This statement is true for every monitor ever made in the history of monitors, of all types, flat screen or crt, except for maybe Gsync and freesync monitors, but even then you are technically using vsync, you are just syncing to a dynamic refresh rate.

I have the 65" JU7500 and love the gaming on it, although I opt to use AMP + Game Source rather than full game mode. Everything looks silky smooth. Tearing is not apparent on most titles, but can be seen now and again on one of my games, ARMA3, all the others are fine with vSync off... this was the same on my previous 4K and 2560x1440 screens and the ultra-wide ones too... and some of the early 1080p/1200p ones too.. it's game specific not screen specific IMHO. I don't notice any input lag either in this mode :), but I am old!

Finally, someone else who supports AMP for gaming! I'm on the 55" JU7100 myself, but with respect to varying opinions and just hard facts, all this talk of input lag to me is just really over the top (or just for really sensitive people). I am not that old (I like to think) but I do play many FPS and twitch shooters and do not notice input lag at all despite everyone saying to turn AMP off for gaming. I click/move the mouse and the reaction on screen is instant....I don't get it.

Like you I also play with Game source with AMP(clear), and I cannot understand how anyone would not like the fluidity it gives in games let alone completely getting rid of horrendous blur (mostly in RTS/TBS games).

Finally, someone else who supports AMP for gaming! I'm on the 55" JU7100 myself, but with respect to varying opinions and just hard facts, all this talk of input lag to me is just really over the top (or just for really sensitive people). I am not that old (I like to think) but I do play many FPS and twitch shooters and do not notice input lag at all despite everyone saying to turn AMP off for gaming. I click/move the mouse and the reaction on screen is instant....I don't get it.

Like you I also play with Game source with AMP(clear), and I cannot understand how anyone would not like the fluidity it gives in games let alone completely getting rid of horrendous blur (mostly in RTS/TBS games).

I guarantee you would notice if you weren't used to shitty LCDs. I game on a 24" CRT at 1440p, and I'd swear the lack of input lag and no need for vsync really help my game. I join a server, and in minutes, I top the scoreboards against people who have been on the server for an hour or more. Consistently. I'm worried that when I get my JS9000, I'll see my performance hindered.

what do you mean ?

The Samsung TVs are no different to any other in this regard.
He edited out the part I commented on.
Check other posts below mine that quoted him to see what he said.

Last edited:
Help Guys
I'm ready to press the button. I have a Dell s2440l which is a mva glossy 24 inch panel , I love the colors on it. But I wanna go bigger. My choices are the ju7500, js8500,js9500 which one of thsee will play games the best" lag" while also have the best colors. The ju7500 seems great cause of size but 48 inches seems like it could work also. What is the best place I could buy from and do a easier return to test these out ?

The colors on the JU and JS series looked night and day better than my Dell u3011's.

For gaming purposes, I do not think the JS is worth double the price.

I know I posted these a while back, but here they are again:

Triple setup - 40/48/40 (6700/9000/6700)
http://i.imgur.com/MRN8jNp.png

Text size comparison between 40 and 48
http://i.imgur.com/WXZTqAj.jpg

I originally had a JU6700 48", but when my wife wanted one and I was able to get $200 on the JS9000 and gave her the 48" 6700. It just made it too tempting to pass up!
What differences do you see between the JU and JS series then? Curious as I'm debating between a JU6700 and a JS8500. Wondering if a JU will be good enough. I game but my main purpose for upgrading would be screen size and resolution.

Since we keep getting the same setup questions over and over again, I decided to go ahead and summarize what we have learned in the last 200+ pages into one setup guide with pictures.

Please check it out here and let me know if I missed anything or got anything wrong.

Zarathustra[H];1041747963 said:
Since we keep getting the same setup questions over and over again, I decided to go ahead and summarize what we have learned in the last 200+ pages into one setup guide with pictures.

Please check it out here and let me know if I missed anything or got anything wrong.

Thank you!

I couldn't resist the S6 deal, pulled the trigger on the 48JS9000 today, fingers crossed for no dead pixels, etc. Thanks for all of the information!

JS9000 review is up. PC mode has 55.8 ms input lag. Yikes!

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-brand/samsung/js9000

But is in second place out of all the models in terms of lag in Game Mode. Go figure.

I don't understand why the numbers vary so much between TVs of the same series. You would think that 6500/6700 would be the same, 7100/7500, 8500/9000, etc. as the specs are the same in each pair; only the shape of the panel is different. They should have the same electronics driving them. Is it possible that the input lag results are inconsistent? Or were different firmwares used? I could see 1207 on the 8500 showing different results than 1217 on the 9000, for example.

edit: I see that the JS8500 (with lower lag in PC mode and higher lag in Game mode) was tested with firmware 1219. Being that the latest firmware for the JS9000 is 1217, perhaps there is room for improvement. But I'm not sure that I'd want to sacrifice lag in Game mode to have less lag in PC mode. Grr, why does it seem like it has to be one or the other? When one goes up, the other goes down. At least that's been the case for the most part with these 2015 Samsungs.

Last edited:
So I have the JS9500 and JS900, I am returning the JS9500 since the 65" is just a tad too "Big" for me on my wall. I also dont like how much larger the bezel footprint is compared to the JS9000.

My issue with the JS9000 is:

1. TitanX SLI I cannot play 3d unless I upconvert the 2d signal to 3d via the TV. 3dTV / stereoscopic 3d onkly works at 1080p.

2. Game Mode seems really washed out, and there is no way for me to verify I am at 4:4:4 (Warm2 looks really yellowish, is there a program I can download to calibrate and make this monitor look right? ) I am getting the 55" JS9000 in next week to replace this 65" I would keep the JS9500, however, the bezel footprint is way too large, all I seem to get is a camera, and I would just rather use my C-920/930e instead and save on the bezel. Anyone know if the one connect box is better on the 9500 vs the 9000. The guy in the store told me I could keep the 9500 one connect box if I chose.

3. Why do I lose the options in my settings for Blacks, Mpeg Noise, Digital Clean View, FIlm Mode, Auto Motion plus, Black Tone, Dynamnic Contrast, etc? Advanced Settings works in Game Mode but not in PC Mode.
- I want these options when I am watching movies so I can tweak what I like the best.
All things considered I just finally really started using this TV as a monitor

Input Lag, I tried TF2 and I thought there was a high degree, but this is just one game and I have not tried everything. However, I should have a lot less input lag in Game Mode, however, why do we lose 4:4:4 Chroma

- Windows 7 DPI, I really have to move to the front of the monitor in order to read the option boxes in games. The perfect example was when I loaded TF2, I could not read anything at 4k.

Anyone else have these issues? I find at times when using plex or watching a movie the TV will just go into standby mode even when I have not touched anything.

Wow I briefly considered a 65 inch JS9000 but there was just no way (would not even fit in my car). I got the 55 inch JS9000 and its still huge.
I found that lowering the monitor as much as possible helps. Its not the width of these monitors that is troublesome its the height. In my case I put the monitor behind the desk on two low tray tables. That lowers the monitor about 6 inches (with the bottom edge of screen now about 2 inches below the tabletop). It helps a lot with height. It will put the monitor a few inches further away but at 65inch that wont be an issue.
This is what it looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/cadFt8Y.jpg

I put the monitor on a cheap pair of these (stock item in most walmarts, this link is for 5 piece which you won't need that many):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/5-Pc-Tray-Table-Set/44885512
KEYBOARD / MOUSE WHERE TO PUT ???
I have the same setup as you. That table you showed is what I was considering to put my keyboard and mouse. I purchased the:
Omnimount Play70, and plan to mount this to my wall (currently on an ikea table), this allows me to move the monitor up down, left - right without any issues. I then have a Creative Labs X7 Limited Edition with it set to Optical in / Out to the One Connect Box. I then have a Bose 130 Soundbar which I am using as a speaker when I am not using my AKG headphones.

My main issue is that I have the bose speaker mounted to the bottom of the TV, but I have nowhere to put the keyboard and mouse. With my computer chair, all I need is a small table 2 -3 ft wide that I would like to move wherever I want. Ideally I would have liked to put a clamp style table, that extends out from the TV so I could stand or sit as I move the TV. Then when I want to go to the couch / bed I could take a portable keyboard / mouse with me. Then for games I go to the table and use the Razer Deathadder setup.

Has anyone done anything table wise with this TV? Let me know if this is not clear since I am writing this late, but table / mount wise there has to be a much better way of using all of this.

Last edited:

Thanks a bunch!

That will be of great help once I get my JS9000 tomorrow.

I game on a 24" CRT at 1440p, and I'd swear the lack of input lag and no need for vsync really help my game.

I'll guarantee it.

Consistently. I'm worried that when I get my JS9000, I'll see my performance hindered.

To a certain degree, you will just as part of the whole "CRT to LCD" transition phase.

The only way right now to cheat on that would be to go the whole higher refresh rate gsync freesync route. That's mostly been the land of TN although other LCD panel techs have been starting to be incorporated. A lot of CRT vets held their noses on TN and went that way for the sake of the speed and performance they were used to. You can go to blur busters and read all about it.

As for the 9000: You're getting an amazing TV. You're getting something you will be able to play a lot of games on as well and be just fine and probably blown away. You will likely be blown away across the boards.

For fast paced competitive gaming like what you're used to? Better stick with that CRT as long as you can.

I'll guarantee it.

To a certain degree, you will just as part of the whole "CRT to LCD" transition phase.

The only way right now to cheat on that would be to go the whole higher refresh rate gsync freesync route. That's mostly been the land of TN although other LCD panel techs have been starting to be incorporated. A lot of CRT vets held their noses on TN and went that way for the sake of the speed and performance they were used to. You can go to blur busters and read all about it.

As for the 9000: You're getting an amazing TV. You're getting something you will be able to play a lot of games on as well and be just fine and probably blown away. You will likely be blown away across the boards.

For fast paced competitive gaming like what you're used to? Better stick with that CRT as long as you can.

Thanks for the response. I plan on keeping my CRT at least for a while after I get the JS9000. My desk is large enough. I could even compare lag between the two that way for people here to see. I could switch to the CRT for when I feel the need, but I get the impression I'll probably hate stepping down to such a small screen when I have the glorious 48 sitting right beside it. :p

Is there a particular driver version that I should use for 4:4:4 4k@60hz? I can't get my Gtx 960 to run 4k with chroma subsampling. Ive tried everything at this point, bought a new hdmi cable that is supposedly 2.0 ready, downgraded geforce drivers to 347.xx, whenever I set the tv to UHD color mode the screen turns black and won't display. It will only do 4:2:2 4k@60hz. I'm using hdmi 1 on the tv and the hdmi port on the video card. It's an Asus strix Gtx 960

Is there a particular driver version that I should use for 4:4:4 4k@60hz? I can't get my Gtx 960 to run 4k with chroma subsampling. Ive tried everything at this point, bought a new hdmi cable that is supposedly 2.0 ready, downgraded geforce drivers to 347.xx, whenever I set the tv to UHD color mode the screen turns black and won't display. It will only do 4:2:2 4k@60hz. I'm using hdmi 1 on the tv and the hdmi port on the video card. It's an Asus strix Gtx 960

Hmm. Did you do a clean install of the Nvidia drivers?

Other than that, the only thing I can think to suggest is trying yet another HDMI cable. Unfortunately people in here have had spotty experiences at best with HDMI cables, including some that claim to be tested for HDMI2 and 18Gbps. (I would look for 18 Gbps, as cables are rated by bandwidth, not by HDMI revision)

Also make sure your cable is as short as possible. People have had serious problems with cables above 10ft in length, even when they are rated for 18Gbps.

Zarathustra[H];1041749359 said:
Hmm. Did you do a clean install of the Nvidia drivers?

Other than that, the only thing I can think to suggest is trying yet another HDMI cable. Unfortunately people in here have had spotty experiences at best with HDMI cables, including some that claim to be tested for HDMI2 and 18Gbps. (I would look for 18 Gbps, as cables are rated by bandwidth, not by HDMI revision)

Also make sure your cable is as short as possible. People have had serious problems with cables above 10ft in length, even when they are rated for 18Gbps.

Yes, I performed a clean install using DDU to remove the version that I had installed. I have another cable on it's way to see if that will solve the problem. Both are 10ft cables, I'm wondering if the length could be the issue

My issue with the JS9000 is:

1. TitanX SLI I cannot play 3d unless I upconvert the 2d signal to 3d via the TV. 3dTV / stereoscopic 3d onkly works at 1080p.
For best results you need to go split screen route. Otherwise its 1080p 24Hz (yikes)
NVIDIA 3D Vision is completely useless for gaming (its only for 3D blu rays really)

Something like tridef works but its not free (and it does not work with every game)

http://www.ddd.com/tridef-products/tridef-experience/

Basically it makes the game output in split screen mode. Then you put your TV into 3D split screen mode (horizontal) and voila 3D at 1920x2160p60 to each eye.

2. Game Mode seems really washed out, and there is no way for me to verify I am at 4:4:4 (Warm2 looks really yellowish, is there a program I can download to calibrate and make this monitor look right? ) I am getting the 55" JS9000 in next week to replace this 65" I would keep the JS9500, however, the bezel footprint is way too large, all I seem to get is a camera, and I would just rather use my C-920/930e instead and save on the bezel. Anyone know if the one connect box is better on the 9500 vs the 9000. The guy in the store told me I could keep the 9500 one connect box if I chose.

I think the one connect is identical. The only thing 9500 gets you is better back light (FALD). The rest is the same. So the one connect box that will come with JS9000 will be identical.

Remember to set SHARPNESS to 0 in game mode (its 50 in PC mode). Try these settings in game mode:

NVIDIA RGB Full mode on your video card (0-255)
Back-light: 20
Brightness: 45
Contrast: 100
sharpness: 0
HDMI UHD Color: On
HDMI Black Level: Normal
Color Tone: Warm1 (Warm1 is good on JS9000/9500, Warm2 is for JU line since they have weak red and greens)

3. Why do I lose the options in my settings for Blacks, Mpeg Noise, Digital Clean View, FIlm Mode, Auto Motion plus, Black Tone, Dynamnic Contrast, etc? Advanced Settings works in Game Mode but not in PC Mode.
- I want these options when I am watching movies so I can tweak what I like the best.
All things considered I just finally really started using this TV as a monitor
The TV remembers the settings for different input configurations. So when you set the device input type to "PC" configure it for PC (i.e. sharpness 50). Then select input type "GAME" and configure it for game mode (sharpness 0, game mode on). Then select input type blu-ray and configure it how you like for movies.

Then all you have to do is press SOURCE button and change input device type and it will recall all those settings you configured for that type. So you only need to set them once.

Input Lag, I tried TF2 and I thought there was a high degree, but this is just one game and I have not tried everything. However, I should have a lot less input lag in Game Mode, however, why do we lose 4:4:4 Chroma

When playing game you will not see a difference between 4:2:2 and 4:4:4. So just switch input type to GAME (which takes like 3 clicks on remote) and enjoy low lag. Then go back to PC mode for dekstop.

- Windows 7 DPI, I really have to move to the front of the monitor in order to read the option boxes in games. The perfect example was when I loaded TF2, I could not read anything at 4k.

Go to System->Auto Protection Time with your remote and you can adjust how long the TV will wait before turning off for a non-moving image. Normally its 2 hours. I have NEVER had a problem with TV turning off when I am watching something. You can also adjust how long the TV will wait before turning off if there is no input signal in System->Eco Solutions

I would suggest trying a different cable. If your cable is marginal the picture can randomly cut out and the TV will go into the "no input signal" mode. The shorter the cable the better generally at 4k.

A 48 inch 4k display has identical PPI to a 24 inch 1080p display. A 55 inch 4k display has identical PPI to 27.5 inch 1080p display. You have a 65 inch display. Unless you are sitting like 2 meters away you should have very large letters on it at 4k.

Last edited:
Anyone play any MOBA's on these, curious since I play League of Legends like half the time I'm gaming. Never really hear about League in 4k though.

Thanks!

Depending on your play-style you may need to adjust your mouse DPI and in-game scroll speed to help compensate for the larger screen size. Otherwise, League plays fine at 4K and looks gorgeous as well.

Got my JS9000 up and rolling today. Very happy so far. Still have a few scaling tweaks and text issues to work out, but with Z's guide, I got 95% of the way very quickly. Excuse my trash in the picture, tons of crap go moved around.

JS9000_First_Setup.jpg

No ideas guys ?

I would like to know that as well.

Anyway, it's noon, and my JS9000 is just waiting for me to pick it up after work. Damn these last few hours are gonna be loooooooooooooooooooong!

Thank you for that summary. It was pretty awesome I just joined here mostly because of this thread as I bought a 40 inch ju6500 and Im deciding if I should keep or switch to the Philips 4065.

I don't really notice the input lag some people are talking about. I have it in PC mode and UHD on and have played games like that, it seems ok. I notice it maybe slightly, but that could be because i know I'm supposed to and I am looking for it. I don't notice a huge difference in the feel of mouse movement between game mode and PC mode.

I've read posts about the Philips having better contrast. IF it really does have the better contrast (apparently) and less input lag in 4k 4:4:4, is there really any reason for me to keep this tv and not replace it with the philips? They are pretty much exact same price where I am.

On a side note, I'm quite impressed with how 1440p looks on this tv in Witcher 3 in particular. My 970 can't come close to handling 4k in that game, but 1440p looks significantly better than 1080p does on this set. I was surprised by that as I thought 1080p would scale better.

Thank you for that summary. It was pretty awesome I just joined here mostly because of this thread as I bought a 40 inch ju6500 and Im deciding if I should keep or switch to the Philips 4065.

I don't really notice the input lag some people are talking about. I have it in PC mode and UHD on and have played games like that, it seems ok. I notice it maybe slightly, but that could be because i know I'm supposed to and I am looking for it. I don't notice a huge difference in the feel of mouse movement between game mode and PC mode.

I've read posts about the Philips having better contrast. IF it really does have the better contrast (apparently) and less input lag in 4k 4:4:4, is there really any reason for me to keep this tv and not replace it with the philips? They are pretty much exact same price where I am.

On a side note, I'm quite impressed with how 1440p looks on this tv in Witcher 3 in particular. My 970 can't come close to handling 4k in that game, but 1440p looks significantly better than 1080p does on this set. I was surprised by that as I thought 1080p would scale better.

You should ask Greyex. He returned the Phillips and bought the Samsung. Also, will you be happy with this on your screen? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmmhsORVv5c.

Sorry to quote the picture again, but at the risk of any "That's what she said" jokes...that's a perfect fit!!

BTW, if you ever need another one of those keyboards, let me know. I have one that's LNIB but have stuck with my mechanicals ever since converting. I know some people love those ergos and that's the only thing they'll use.

I was having some bad pain which was a repetitive stress injury I guess after typing for 15 years. That keyboard solved it all for me. Love it. Once you get used to the tipped forward layout it is a breeze to type on.

What is your experience going from a triple setup to one large 4K monitor?
Increased productivity? Better gaming experience? Streaming?

I can't think of going back to a multi-monitor setup.

Gimme a few weeks and I might do a write up on that. :) Still getting used to the thing.

I'm in the market for a 4k this weekend. Strictly for the PC & PS4. My finger's been hovering lately over the order button on a Korean 42" IPS 4K non PWM.

Not only can I not decide between a Crossover and Wasabi but I'm too scared to order and have something be wrong with it.

What is the best 4k monitor I can walk into a store and buy that is 40"-48" (afraid too big won't work sitting a cple feet in front of it) is IPS or better does chroma 4:4:4 at 60hz and its below $900? Only one I saw at Bestbuy was the UN40JU6500FXZA & UN40JU6400FXZA. Microcenter has a cpl also but not sure on most the specs other than what specs the manufacturer gives. If the Korean is the best choice for needs/budget than I guess I'll have to decide if I want to try it or not.

Back