New Samsung 23" (16x9) with higher resolution

airrphoto

n00b
Went to a different Costco (Oxnard, CA) then I normally shop at and to my surprise they had a new Samsung 23" super wide-screen on display.

Details provided by Costco
23" 16x9 Super-Wide Panel
2048x1152 Resolution
50,000 Dynamic Contrast
VGA/DVI with HDCP Support (no HDMI or USB)
2ms Response Time
Slim Glossy Black Bezel
Non-Glossy Screen
No Warranty Info provided, I assume 3 years (Parts/Labor).

Any further information on Samsung, LG, of other 16x9 23/24" screen-types (other then BenQ or Acer) would be greatly appreciated

Darryl

i'm very interested in this.

I have a dell 2407 wfp, and "upgraded" to a vizio 42 inch @ 1366x768. i have been missing the extra real estate ever since.

I want to move up to 30, but that's a huge investment, so this middle ground seems interesting.

I've been wating for this Samsung monitor!

airrphoto how much was Costco selling this. We have a Costco here and I want to see if they have it, if the price is right of course.

Opps...forgot to provide the model number and price...

Samsung 2343???...$329.99

Only $329.99? Whoa, I gotta stop by and see if they have it in stock!

The model is 2343 bwp, I have seen on the internet the 2243 bwp model which Samsung was showing off about 6 months ago with the same high end resolution. Hmm, so it looks like a TN panel according to the link that persisting1 gave.

With that high a resolution it would be great for photo work, I hope the color gradient is "good" enough...

Any confirmation if they all have this feature? :)

1:1 pixel mapping is a video scaling technique used in some display devices, such as LCD monitors. A monitor that has been set to 1:1 pixel mapping will try to display an input source without scaling it, such that each pixel received is mapped to a single pixel on the monitor.

This will often result in a black border around the video displayed unless the input resolution is higher or the same as the monitor's native resolution. This technique is often helpful if you want to stop a video being stretched and distorted by the monitor.

I've been doing internet searches and I came across this weblink in Korean that has pictures of the Samsung 2343BW. It looks really great! http://product.yesky.com/product/410/410618/pic.shtml.

Also, those in Canada, I've notice Future Shop has it for sale, here is the link for that one http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10111542&catid=25074&logon=&langid=EN&test_cookie=1

I haven't had the time to stop by Costco, but if the photos from the first link is true, this probably will be my upgraded monitor!

I've been doing internet searches and I came across this weblink in Korean that has pictures of the Samsung 2343BW. It looks really great! http://product.yesky.com/product/410/410618/pic.shtml.

Also, those in Canada, I've notice Future Shop has it for sale, here is the link for that one http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10111542&catid=25074&logon=&langid=EN&test_cookie=1

I haven't had the time to stop by Costco, but if the photos from the first link is true, this probably will be my upgraded monitor!

Pretty sweet pics there.
Gotta go to costco tomorrow

1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600
2048 x 1152 = 2,359,296
== ~13.8% more pixels. Doesn't seem like a lot in the grand scheme of things? I can see how it would make sense for graphics intensive applications (like photowork, as someone else in this thread has mentioned) but it would be kinda meh for multimedia or gaming.

Well you essentially gain back the pixels you lose from going from 16:10 (1920x1200) to 16:9 (1920x1080).

only thing i'm worried about is games not supporting this new res because it's new/obscure

I just bought this monitor from my local Fry's for $249 out the door, no rebates.

It looks seriously amazing. Yes it's a TN panel, but the colors look good, it's large, bright, and looks great.

I love that Samsung went minimalistic on this monitor. Small bezel, very clean looking.

I took advantage of the 3-day coupon sale at Costco on Friday...$259.99 after $70 off with coupon (90 day return period, no questions asked, 3 year warranty). Frankly, I'm very impressed. Extremely minimal backlight bleed, very faint and isolated to the bottom only on a blank display (not detectable otherwise in any applications). All pixels appear alive and well.

Very good horizontal viewing angles for a TN panel...Samsung states 170 degrees horizontal and I agree....you have to move your head more than 45 degrees left and right of center to see ANY color change or shift. Impressive. Vertical viewing angles are typical for TN panel. Blacks are amazingly black (and whites very white) for a TN panel. I suspect some new technology here and not your typical TN panel. The "new" TN?

Plug and play...2048 x 1152 resolution recognized and set via VGA connection. Panel is roughly 20 1/8" x 11 1/4", 23" diagonal. Colors very good, bright and pretty closely calibrated out of the box. Does not appear to be a "wide gamut" panel (colors very natural and not overly saturated).

Text is extremely crisp (even with VGA connection) at 2048 x 1152...6 point Calibri font is very readable in a Word document @ 100%...in fact, text is the best I have experienced on an LCD monitor. Chose to change the DPI from 96 to 120 in Win XP for reading comfort...96 DPI is very, very legible but amazingly tiny.

I too like the minimalist approach (for a minimalist price)...only VGA and DVI inputs. No USB ports on the "X" model. Typical thin black Samsung bezel. OSD buttons are touch sensitive and work well, but aren't really needed due to the included Magictune software. Stand is very basic (not adjustable) but sturdy and rock steady.

Fyi, Costco model is Samsung 2343BWX, 23", 16:9, 2048 X 1152, 5ms, 20,000:1 dynamic CR, low power/Energy Star, DVI-D, HDCP.

Wow, this looks great. However, does it have the 1:1 pixel mapping ability? I'm also worried about games and other applications not supporting the odd resolution.

Costco has it for $259. That's a heck of a price. It seems most monitors will be going 16:9 in the future, period.

I checked these out in store yesterday and am going back tonight to get one. They look like a great value for the money!

Isn't that resolution a little excessive for such a small screen?

I figure it'll be great w/ PC games, but not much else.

I had a 20" 4:3 crt that did 1920*1440 and I loved it

More resolution is always better!

I've got 800x480 on a 4" screen and it's fine.

23" for this res seems pretty good. You could probably go higher too though.

I don't understand how you'd be able to read anything on your screen, even after adjusting the DPI. I have 1920*1200 on a 24" and I find it difficult at times.

I don't understand how you'd be able to read anything on your screen, even after adjusting the DPI. I have 1920*1200 on a 24" and I find it difficult at times.

Wow. I've had just about every size of LCD and found my 24" to have HUGE pixels. Annoyingly huge. Like blocky as hell trying to read text. My 30"er now has very small pixels .25 dot pitch and I love it. The smaller the pixels the better!!!!!

I loved the 24" for gaming, simply for it's speed.

But, by far, the most enjoyable opanels have been my 30" and my 4x3 20" 1600x1200 - both have very low dot pitch.

Different strokes I guess.

Sounds like it could be a defective unit. You shouldn't have any trouble at all reading text on an LCD at native resolution. On a CRT perhaps, never on a LCD.

Sounds like it could be a defective unit. You shouldn't have any trouble at all reading text on an LCD at native resolution. On a CRT perhaps, never on a LCD.
The text is 100% crystal clear... it's just very small.

the 24" is $279 ad the 23" is $259 at costco right now.

I just got the 24" and my initial impressions are WOW!

I need to do some calibration and find a nice color profile. but even right out of the box it looks great, and makes my 20" seem tiny!

its 1920x1200, it dosn't say on the box, but that is a 16:10 resolution correct?

well, im going to try to pick up one of these from our costco about an hour away from here.

does anyone know if i need a membership card thing in order to buy stuff from costco? kinda like what sams club has?

Back