New samsung 160 only showing 128gig

maxpower1119

Limp Gawd
I just bought a new 160 gigabyte HD to replace my dying 80 gig maxtor or wd( not sure which one is dying). I installed SP1 and my bios (KX7333R with highpoint raid controller, which the drive is connected to) recognizes the drive as 160 gigs but in windows it only shows up as 128. i tried restarting the computer after making a 90 gig partition but it only showed 35 gigs free. what am i doing wrong? i have all "critical" windows updates including SP1 and i tried using parition magic 8 and the disk management tool in xp.

yes i installed the cn revision today. and the hd is connected to the raid controller but not in a RAID array. it shows as 160gb in the highpoint raid bios. i appreciate the responses thus far but i am very frustrated with this drive. i have about 80 gigs of music i would like to back up just in case one of my 80 giggers wants to die completely

With your current installation of Windows XP, did you use the updated Highpoint drivers when asked to provide them (during the blue screen at the beginning)? If not, you'll probably need to reinstall Windows.

are you serious? i reinstalled the new bios with lba48 bit for the hightpoint support before i installed service pack 1. i really do not want to reinstall windows.

I'm trying to help you. It might be troublesome, but I think it might do the trick.

You see, the 48-bit LBA support in the motherboard and Highpoint BIOS is what let the BIOS detect the drive as a 137+ GB device. When you installed Windows, it assumed a 36-bit LBA scheme (which limits drives to 137 GB). Service Pack 1 supposedly enables 48-bit addressing, but if your RAID controller driver was not installed with this in mind, it might still be limiting the partition size, since this was determined at the very beginning of installation.

That's my logic behind this. I'm not guaranteeing that it will work, but do you really want to wait for Samsung to try to help you? I assume that your Windows install is still pretty fresh--now is a better time than any to make it right from the start.

sorry i didnt mean to sound like an hole-a. my windows install is the opposite of fresh. i installed it 2 years ago to the day. im going to try updating the highpoint drivers for windows, which i never di before. thanks for your help sir

edit:i updated the highpoint raid drivers for xp and it worked. turns out i had the oldest revision of the drivers. thanks xonik i never would have even thought to do that.

Back