New rumors : MS trying to push Windows 365 in 2020 to replace owned Windows 10

Jandor

Gawd
Final stage seems to be ready for a push of Windows OS rental. So you won't own it any more and you pay for it forever.

https://windowsunited.de/microsoft-365-fuer-verbraucher-windows-10-wird-enthalten-sein/

Source seems to be quite sure everything is in place at MS to move in that direction in 2020.
One would probably become at some point unable to buy Windows 10 but only 365 rental. Windows 10 will still be provided by manufacturers on their new PC. So HP, Dell or Lenovo will be happy.

Is there an English version of this article or should I just use Google Translate?

Final stage seems to be ready for a push of Windows OS rental. So you won't own it any more and you pay for it forever.

https://windowsunited.de/microsoft-365-fuer-verbraucher-windows-10-wird-enthalten-sein/

Source seems to be quite sure everything is in place at MS to move in that direction in 2020.
One would probably become at some point unable to buy Windows 10 but only 365 rental. Windows 10 will still be provided by manufacturers on their new PC. So HP, Dell or Lenovo will be happy.

LOL! No, the Windows OS will never be rental OS, despite how many like to push that idea. Oh, and this is not some new rumor.......

Reactions: mikeo
like this
I could handle it as an option, but not a requirement. If for no other reason, than the fact that I have at least 10 computers running windows 10 at the moment. Some of those are laptops or desktops that are only turned on for specific reasons. Even if the price was something "reasonable" like $5 per month, that would mean $50 per month for those 10 computers. After the initial purchase, anything more than free is too expensive IMO.

I doubt that they will ever actually shift Windows 10 over to a forced subscription model. Windows still dominates many environments but things are more competitive now than they have ever been. People have options such as buying Chromebooks or Apple laptops instead of a Windows laptop. Many now use their phones and/or tablets to do things instead of their computers when given the choice. Microsoft can't afford to push people away from Windows, and even they know that. That is why things such as the "temporary" free Windows 10 upgrade still work today for anyone running Windows 7 or 8.1, and I've even heard "rumors" that you can upgrade a "cracked" version of Windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10 for free after which no crack is required; not that I've ever tested that or anything...

Microsoft would rather let casual and enthusiast end-users use Windows 10 for free than have them use something else. It's about market share. They make their money from OEMs and business users.

And as we all know ( :p ), the year this happens everyone will say they are jumping ship to something like Linux and that it will be the year for the Linux Desktop! :LOL:

It's been mentioned by many as it's actually a very likely scenario. I guess we'll wait and see, but I can see you eating those words.

People have been saying that since Windows 10 was announced 5 years ago. I’ve yet to eat a single word. Every month some sensationalist site writes a clickbait article with no sources saying the same thing.

I'm surprised that (outside of Linux) no one else has tried to create a new Desktop operating system

I'm surprised that (outside of Linux) no one else has tried to create a new Desktop operating system
Going to go out on a limb and say $$$, lots and lots and lots of $$$ would be one reason. + compatibility. The screams from users of "will it run all my Windows programs" rings loudly.

People have been saying that since Windows 10 was announced 5 years ago. I’ve yet to eat a single word. Every month some sensationalist site writes a clickbait article with no sources saying the same thing.

Microsoft are just waiting for their magical adoption figure as a result of forcing people onto Windows 10. There's no way they were going to be so bold until Windows 7 became EOL.

Certain variants of Windows are already subscription based and their Office 365 is a resounding success - I see no reason why Microsoft wouldn't push some subscription variant to prop up their cloud based division.

Last edited:
To be honest, we expect ongoing updates, and bug fixes. That shit ain't free. In the past hardware cycles were more frequent, and new hardware generally got new software. This isn't blind greed.

I don't really believe Microsoft would ever kill off perpetual Windows without a free upgrade path. For years, Microsoft has had to deal with insecure OSes because people refuse to upgrade. Why, after they finally get most people into he habit of incremental upgrades, would they go back to the old days of paid only OS upgrades, fragmenting it again?

Do I think it's possible Microsoft offers paid 'Windows 365' as an option with more features? Probably. I actually think if they offered people a way to pay for an OS that didn't spy on them that users would jump all over it. If you were already paying a few hundred bucks every 5 years to upgrade OSes (back in the non-spying days) this wouldn't be any different.

I also see this as just how they license software on the Enterprise side. They've already been combining their Desktop and Office suites together and now have merged them with 365. It's called "365" on the license but you still get the plain-Jane version if you want to use it.

Last edited:
Yeah that's not going to be the only option if/when that happens. It may be a choice but not the main one.

I don't really believe Microsoft would ever kill off perpetual Windows without a free upgrade path. For years, Microsoft has had to deal with insecure OSes because people refuse to upgrade. Why, after they finally get most people into he habit of incremental upgrades, would they go back to the old days of paid only OS upgrades, fragmenting it again?

Do I think it's possible Microsoft offers paid 'Windows 365' as an option with more features? Probably. I actually think if they offered people a way to pay for an OS that didn't spy on them that users would jump all over it. If you were already paying a few hundred bucks every 5 years to upgrade OSes (back in the non-spying days) this wouldn't be any different.

I also see this as just how they license software on the Enterprise side. They've already been combining their Desktop and Office suites together and now have merged them with 365. It's called "365" on the license but you still get the plain-Jane version if you want to use it.

Are you referring to upgrade or update? People upgrade, they have to as software simply stops working under older versions of Windows. Try running the latest version of Chrome under Vista.

The problem was updating, and people didn't update as the process is and has been for quite some time now painful, inconveniencing and unreliable under Windows.

One of the last times this rumor made the rounds it was misreported then too as the subscription based OS was only intended for some enterprise uses.

Reactions: x509
like this
One of the last times this rumor made the rounds it was misreported then too as the subscription based OS was only intended for some enterprise uses.
Subscription based OS would be ok if the cost over lifespan of the product is reasonable. For Windows10 it would be something like a dollar or two a month max.

There are smaller OSes, even one that aims to be binary compatible with Windows (ReactOS). Also MacOS is not linux based, there has been OSes like BeOS, AmigaOS etc. Of course AmigaOS was way ahead its time and died off unfortunately.

There are smaller OSes, even one that aims to be binary compatible with Windows (ReactOS). Also MacOS is not linux based, there has been OSes like BeOS, AmigaOS etc. Of course AmigaOS was way ahead its time and died off unfortunately.

I still run AmigaOS. Amazingly enough it's still being updated and hardware/software is still released for the platform. You'd be surprised at just how capable an Amiga can be with the advent of the FPGA based Vampire accelerators.

You won't be replacing your Windows/Linux/Mac desktop with one any time soon, but they're pretty surprising. Furthermore, the Amiga based OS called MorphOS is capable of breathing new life into old PPC based Mac's - You could actually use a MorphOS based machine daily if you were determined enough.

BeOS... thats a trip down memory lane, I remember that having a super polished installer and GUI for the time. Compatibility with peripheriphals wasn't that great though.

Let me guess, this rumor is from the same people who think the MS is going to abandon the OS market or replace their kernel with a Linux kernel. All these so called rumors you hear are highly contradictory and a thinking person would see right through them.

And as we all know ( :p ), the year this happens everyone will say they are jumping ship to something like Linux and that it will be the year for the Linux Desktop! :LOL:

I've already made the jump to Linux so I'm way ahead of the game. :p

Office has pretty much made the jump to a subscription model. I think Microsoft is ok with that. The are also playing with desktop in the cloud with multi-user.

2020? Maybe not, but things do seem to be moving in that direction.

Office has pretty much made the jump to a subscription model. I think Microsoft is ok with that. The are also playing with desktop in the cloud with multi-user.

2020? Maybe not, but things do seem to be moving in that direction.

Office is both and makes sense for its intended purpose. For Windows, that will never happen because of the actual purpose of the OS and it's extended influence across all sectors, including home. Besides, this is just one of many rumors because, anyone remember with the release of Windows 8, Microsoft was going to ditch the desktop?

According to some, Microsoft Windows is just going to be a Linux Distro anyways and then where would that subscription be?

For Windows, that will never happen ...

Think Linux (enterprise) subscription, or even Visual Studio (esp. MSDN). You could present new machines with like a license that's perpetual (working), but no updates without sub after the support term.

(Initial Windows install would be free)

Think Linux (enterprise) subscription, or even Visual Studio (esp. MSDN). You could present new machines with like a license that's perpetual (working), but no updates without sub after the support term.

(Initial Windows install would be free)

Nope, I just do not nor ever see that happening.

Windows as a service is already a thing in the Enterprise space. I'm not sure what the fear mongering ITT is about though.

I can see them trying this in the developing markets - a lot of poor countries where the user data is worth more than what the locals can afford to pay for an actual copy of windows.

I can see them trying this in the developing markets - a lot of poor countries where the user data is worth more than what the locals can afford to pay for an actual copy of windows.

I can't, since unless I am wrong, a lot of those areas use pirated copies of Windows.

My bad, for some reason my mind was going to free windows ... that's what I get for trying to multi-task while browsing H in another window. Doh!

...as long as it was included in my free Gamepass subscription ..then I'm all in :)

Office is both and makes sense for its intended purpose. For Windows, that will never happen because of the actual purpose of the OS and it's extended influence across all sectors, including home. Besides, this is just one of many rumors because, anyone remember with the release of Windows 8, Microsoft was going to ditch the desktop?

According to some, Microsoft Windows is just going to be a Linux Distro anyways and then where would that subscription be?

I can't imagine anyone ever claimed MS would dump desktops/computers. But if they had made big inroads in the mobile market, they would have continued the mobile first UI and focus for Windows. Obviously that didn't pan out and Android took the place of Windows there, which is why 10 has circled back to a more PC focus. And why they are making many apps for Android.

The writing is on the wall for the ancient NT kernel/NTFS file system and it makes absolutely no sense for MS to develop a new Windows variant from scratch - They're just not interested anymore.

Edge is now based on Chromium, we have WSL2 under Windows 10 and most of Microsoft's cloud based infrastructure that is their most profitable division is switching to Linux. It would be quite easy for MS to switch to a Linux kernel with a locked down DE along the lines of Windows as it is today and shift much of the non essential but undoubtedly desirable portions of Windows to the cloud for a subscription fee - Hence the push for MS account's now that Windows 7 is EOL.

Microsoft are absolutely no different to other capitalist organizations, they don't respect anyone as a customer, they simply see the customer as a means of profit. Microsoft have made themselves irreplaceable in the eyes of the consumer, in many cases forcing their products onto the consumer since beginning school - They know the customer will begrudgingly accept this change, pay the money and move on.

The Win32 API will continue to function as normal, interfacing with a POSIX based kernel instead of an NT one.

To be honest, we expect ongoing updates, and bug fixes. That shit ain't free. In the past hardware cycles were more frequent, and new hardware generally got new software. This isn't blind greed.
I'd pay to avoid updates, not to get them.

The writing is on the wall for the ancient NT kernel/NTFS file system and it makes absolutely no sense for MS to develop a new Windows variant from scratch - They're just not interested anymore.

Edge is now based on Chromium, we have WSL2 under Windows 10 and most of Microsoft's cloud based infrastructure that is their most profitable division is switching to Linux. It would be quite easy for MS to switch to a Linux kernel with a locked down DE along the lines of Windows as it is today and shift much of the non essential but undoubtedly desirable portions of Windows to the cloud for a subscription fee - Hence the push for MS account's now that Windows 7 is EOL.

Microsoft are absolutely no different to other capitalist organizations, they don't respect anyone as a customer, they simply see the customer as a means of profit. Microsoft have made themselves irreplaceable in the eyes of the consumer, in many cases forcing their products onto the consumer since beginning school - They know the customer will begrudgingly accept this change, pay the money and move on.

The Win32 API will continue to function as normal, interfacing with a POSIX based kernel instead of an NT one.

Ah, here we go, I was wondering when this would show up again. Not going to bother arguing since you clearly will never be convinced off your point of view but, whatever, let reality speak for itself.

Back